Can you smoke dog hair??

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I quit smoking, and I'm going nuts right now! I've been eyeing dog hair, pinestraw, dust, etc. and thinking, "I wonder if I could smoke THAT." Hubby quit, too. With his recent bout of heart trouble and his stay in CCU, his doc told him if he didn't stop smoking, he'd probably die soon.

Any quitters with some advice? I'm using an electronic cig, and it helps take the edge off, but sometimes it AIN'T ENOUGH!!!!!

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well,some may suggest taking a trip to Washington or Colorado...wink

2. Alastar Packer profile image70
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why is the electric cig that has nicotine not enough, habee? What is the difference between them?

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

3 years quit now.

Just do it! Nothing else for it but to suck it up and be a total bitch for a year. That is what I did. big_smile

4. Mark S Waterhouse profile image65
      Mark S Waterhouseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This might not't work for everyone, but I quit by leaving the gap in-between cigarettes longer and longer. The trick for me was always keeping some cigarettes on me and telling myself "you can have one, but wait a little longer". That took away the cravings. I never got any feedback on my poll as to whether it works for others... so who knows?

1. StayAwakeNow profile image60
        StayAwakeNowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've tried it, but it didn't work. The only that worked what chewing on nicotine chewing gum. Still doing it and I'm feeling great, can't believe that I was so dependent from those filthy cigarettes.

2. dommcg profile image72
    dommcgposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure that smoking dog hair is ok, i'd give it a go and maybe write a hub about your experiences. You never know you could have stumbled across a cure for smoking withdrawl. Could be worth millions...

1. Alastar Packer profile image70
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Be careful if you collect it off the pet for a smoke, you know the saying "hair of the dog that bit me."

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

You have my full sympathy, habee - I've been in your shoes more than once.  And don't have anything to offer, I'm afraid, except tough it out.

Does your hubbie's doc know he's using an electronic cigarette (if he is)?  When I had my heart attack mine told me don't bother - it was the nicotine that was causing the heart disease and that cigarette is nothing more than a drug delivery device that will, in my case, do as much harm as a cigarette. 

I suppose it's different for lung cancer, but for heart disease it's the actual nicotine that's doing the harm, not the tars and such.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubby's not using an e-cig.

My e-cig doesn't contain nicotine - just menthol flavor and water vapor.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah.  That's why you're having to fight so hard - no nicotine!

Good for you!  A friend used those e-cigs some time back to "quit smoking".  5 years later he's still using them.

4. lindalou1963 profile image61
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

Smoking dog hair is probably okay, just make sure to remove it from the dog first! wink good luck!

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Love the responses to the dog hair comment! Made me LOL - seriously!

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

When all else fails... Dark chocolate and Valerian tea?

1. Mark S Waterhouse profile image65

Smoked?

7. onegreenparachute profile image60
    onegreenparachuteposted 11 years ago

Good luck habee!  I know how you feel but.....I know how I feel after quitting cigs for many years.  I can breathe, taste and smell wonderous things!  People don't grimace from the yukky smoke smell when they hug me.  My mouth no longer tastes like an old, dead ashtray and my lungs no longer look like one.  It's just one more minute, one more 5 minutes, one more hour..... 
    You can do it!!!

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Dog hair?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Oh, habee, I can seriously tell you're losing your mind over this! wink  That's just....well....gross. 

Anyway, the only other option than the one you're using (which I think is the best) would be to use some sort of nicotine replacement system.  If you're already past the point where the nicotine is out of your system, I'd avoid that if you can. 

When you say it's not enough, what specifically are you left craving after the e-cig.

9. LovelyAni profile image60
    LovelyAniposted 11 years ago

What the flying tortoise ? What were you addicted to in the first place ? Dope ? o____o. Smoking hair, let alone DOG HAIR is outrageous ! Chew some gum ! Eat Jolly ranchers ! Find a new hobby ! It will help ease your desperate yearning for a cigarette.

10. moldservices profile image60
    moldservicesposted 11 years ago

Wow this is a wild one, although I'd like to see if you would really do try it... Let us know tongue

11. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

This thread makes me smile. Poor ole dog. :-) Good luck, Habee. My boyfriend quit cold turkey after 30 years when he got really sick. He doesn't get sick anymore like he used to. He still misses smoking, though.

12. Silva Hayes profile image78
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

I would say "No," it's probably not safe to smoke dog hair!  Haha, you speak in the voice of desperation.  You poor thing, I am feeling your pain.  I quit smoking after many years. 

The advice I have is to brush your teeth immediately after every meal and every cup of coffee (trying to break the association).  Quit cold turkey.  Start walking every day.  Drink lots of water.  Go to bed early every night.  Save the money you would have spent on cigarettes. 

I haven't had one in about eight years, and when someone who just smoked comes near me, I almost gag and I usually start coughing.  It smells horrible.  Just think, I smelled that way for years.  The one main thing above all else -- go to Google Images and type in "lungs of a smoker" and cruise through the pictures.

13. LucyLiu12 profile image75
    LucyLiu12posted 11 years ago

Try a hooka

1. Mark S Waterhouse profile image65

Yeah, she took my mind off smoking... sorry

14. cfin profile image66
    cfinposted 11 years ago

My wife just stopped. Flat out. She used excuses as a way through it. i.e "I smell bad", "I have no money,", "Im grumpy when i dont have one", "what will our future kids think?", "im feeding a greedy corporation", mixed with her thoughts of what she could do with her money. She said she thought of these things every time it entered her mind. Now we can casually have a cigarette her or there when we are having a drink with friends. If you can do that, then you wont ever habitually smoke again.

15. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

This is one of the biggest blots on my life at the moment - I'm desperate to stop. I'm currently smoking about forty a day. I think I've tried every technique known to mankind but I did have some success with lozenges a number of years ago. They were called NiquitinCQ (or something like that) but I'm not sure if they're available in the USA. You basically put one in the corner of your mouth and leave it to dissolve. You don't actively suck it and obviously can't eat or drink while it's there (takes about an hour to dissolve). You reduce the doze over a period of weeks. I was off the cigarettes for nearly a year after using them circa ten/twelve years ago but unfortunately went back on them while staying in a boring hotel one night, while travelling for work, thinking I could have one and "that would be it..."

I am in the situation that all of my friends used to smoke and all are now ex-smokers. I am the pariah! They all used different methods to give up but one swears blind by the cold water method. Every time he wanted a cigarette, he drank a glass of freezing cold water and says it cured the immediate craving.

The cost factor is another big motivational factor. I'm not sure of the cost of cigarettes in the USA but here in the UK, they're extortionate. I actually smoke imported American cigarettes because they are so much cheaper! I pay £6.00 per pack for US imports, while British cigs are about £8.00 per pack. That means I am spending the best part of US$20 a day on smoking. Crazy - I know!

Good luck with staying off them and I know it is time I set a date to join you in abstinence smile

1. Silva Hayes profile image78
      Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All that money, up in smoke!  I am sending positive thoughts your way.  You can do it.  I know you can, because I did.  I had all kinds of reasons -- it causes you to stink (it really, really does), you're an outcast, your co-workers who don't smoke look down on you, it costs the earth, and it's so bad for your health, it makes your teeth yellow, but the one thing that helped me more than anything else is that I cared what my little granddaughters would think of me.   I quit when they were babies because I love them so much and I dreaded the day when they looked at me and realized that I smoked.  Would they be disappointed?  Would they use it as an excuse to start smoking themselves?  I just couldn't bear to think about that filthy black smoke penetrating their clean pink lungs.  So I quit.  Again, I'm sending positive thoughts your way.  You can quit.  Put that money away every day and treat yourself to a fine vacation next year.

16. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 11 years ago

Yes. In fact Regular smoking of Dog hair has been known to improve intelligence by 68% according to a report out today from the Canine Gazette. So when you are in dire need of an intellectual high, just smoke your Dogs pubes! big_smile

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wayne...

Eew.

17. SoundNFury profile image81
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

have you ever considered the medication wellbutrin?  i take it as an anti-depressant but it's also used to help people quit smoking.  I figure if you're thinking of smoking dog hair, you might be open to medication lol.

18. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Habee, I was trying to find a hub or forum thread that Mark Knowles commented on when he stopped smoking.  I couldn't find it, but I did find that Mark has a lot of awesome recipe hubs!  I also found this comment by Shadesbreath that I thought you might find helpful.. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/96201#post2057512  big_smile

Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)