Weekly Topic Inspiration Gets a New Spin - AND FACIAL HAIR!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I have exciting news, everyone! We have a new Weekly Topic Inspiration leader: Christy Kirwan!

Christy has been leading our Topic Page expansion initiative, creating more detailed leaf pages to better accommodate Hubs in Topic Pages that are flooded. As Christy creates new Topics on HubPages every day, she is particularly well-suited to share the most promising ones with us and will do so every week from now on.

How it’ll work:
    1. Every Tuesday Christy will share the latest theme and start the new Question and Forum thread
    2. The theme will be built around a new Topic (in other words, it’ll no longer be random)

Why we’re switching to new Topics:
    1. The new Topics Christy makes are far more specific than many of the broad WTI themes we’ve chosen in the past. You’re far more likely to see success by writing about subjects that aren’t already extensively covered online, so we would like to shift WTI themes to reflect that.
    2. Hubs published within new Topics are far more likely to be Featured on the first page (and therefore get more internal traffic).

Now to the important part- this week’s theme: beards, mustaches, and facial hair!

We encourage you to share your insider tips and advice on facial hair (hot trends, important grooming considerations, etc.) this week, in celebration of our new Topic Page on the subject. Have fun with this one, y’all!

To join in on this week's challenge by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a title that follows our guidelines on crafting successful, competitive, search-friendly titles, which namely involves...

A. Creating a title that is short and descriptive, matching what someone would type into a search engine when looking for information on the subject.
    B. Researching the keywords (the things people might type into search engines) by Googling them to make sure that the topic is not already extensively covered online and that you can beat the top results.
    C. Covering a subject about which you are particularly passionate- or in which you have unique, useful expertise.

5)    Create a Hub that is thorough and supplemented with helpful media (such as photos, tables, polls, maps, and videos)
    6)    Make sure the images you use are legally used and properly attributed so that your Hub has a chance of being selected as a Hub of the Day.
    7)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this Forum Discussion and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to the WTI beat, Christy!  We love to see the latest ideas pop up each week, so you'll have a huge fan club very soon here!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
        Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the warm welcome, Marcy Goodfleisch! I can't wait to get started. smile

2. Suzie HQ profile image91
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

Welcome Christy,
    Sounds a great idea making more topics, so looking forward to the new shake up!!

Thanks, Suzie HQ! Glad you're looking forward to it.

3. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Christy - good luck with this challenge!

I noticed yesterday that the Hubpages Staff Page said 18 staff members and counted only 17 faces - you should complain that you're not yet listed on that page!!!

Curses! You've discovered my secret identity as the HubPages Mystery Member, SimeyC! Thanks for the enthusiasm, I'll do my best!

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

Hey, thank for the idea for a hub, ladies. Just submitted mine. About time I wrote about something besides sports.

Can't wait to read it, BLACKANDGOLDJACK!

P.S. I grew up near Pittsburgh. Go Steelers! big_smile

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So Christy, if you're a Steelers fan you must be mourning the loss of the best beard in Pittsburgh, or most anywhere else in my opinion. Brett "the Diesel" Keisel shaved his off for charity a week ago. His 2-year-old daughter didn't recognize him.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7687770_f248.jpg

Oh good heavens, I hadn't heard! He looks like a TOTALLY different person.

5. sholland10 profile image83
    sholland10posted 11 years ago

Welcome, Christy!  I look forward to seeing which topics you choose!  smile

Thanks, sholland10! I've got some fun ones planned.

6. rommy1984 profile image59
    rommy1984posted 11 years ago

This is interesting. I'm new here on forum, but feel glad to see the chalenges...

We're glad to have you, rommy1984. Thanks for the support!

7. That Grrl profile image71
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

You're late for Movember. I had a post then. Beyond that I don't have much experience with intentional facial hair.

I do like the idea of having a topic to write about this way. I use the Exclusive suggestions for inspiration/ ideas this way all the time. It's fun just to see what comes up when I type something in.

http://thatgrrl.hubpages.com/hub/Im-a-W … -Dont-Mind

As for why I wrote it... well, just because really. smile  Enjoy  your facial hair, it's not so bad.

Thanks for sharing, That Grrl, good Hub!

8. M Zees profile image64
    M Zeesposted 11 years ago

the only advice i ever received, from several family members, is to never use aftershave as it turns your facial hair white. My grandpa had a white beard and pitch black hair so I am guessing maybe there is some truth to it.

Oh my! That's a definitely a thing men with facial hair should keep in mind.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Ah I didn't click the grey box thing.

But I did create a fantastic page about facial hair and stuff.

So arguably I can still post a link to it?

http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/Famous-Facial-Hair

Thanks for sharing, Mark Ewbie, I LOVE your drawings! Super funny and cute!

10. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

I have just created a new hub about dyeing your beard or moustache with hair colour, something I am well known for doing. I have also pointed out some examples of celebrities that dye their hair or beards.

My new hub is: http://bardofely.hubpages.com/hub/How-t … -moustache

Love the pictures! Thanks for the advice, Bard of Ely. Dyeing your beard is a really unique and creative idea. smile

1. Bard of Ely profile image79
        Bard of Elyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you appreciated it!

11. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

Hi, welcome Christy.
    Here's mine (also posted somewhere else connected to the weekly topic)
    http://goodlady.hubpages.com/hub/Mens-F … -and-Wives

Hope you like it!

Thanks, GoodLady, great Hub! Your special gent looks a bit like Patrick Stewart. wink

1. GoodLady profile image92
        GoodLadyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I won't tell him you said that, because he likes to think that he still has hair, whilst Patrick Stewart is totally bald.  PS is a great actor!  (thanks).

Well, your guy has certainly got some hair, and it's quite dapper and well-groomed, thanks to you, apparently! big_smile

12. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the great responses, everyone! I really enjoyed reading them. Check out this week's WTI on Google+ for more inspiration!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)