What is wrong with this America ?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

This guy , a president /CEO of a company , stands accused of  assaulting a child on a airline , using racial slurs , and even slapping the child   while he's sitting in his mothers lap ! Shocking , yes ! However , my question is this !  What is wrong with a plane load of people  that not one man stood up and mopped the floor with this mans face ?  I must be from another universe ! America where are your morals ?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7700229.jpg

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It takes quite a bit to rile me. The things that ppl get upset about don't really seem to phase me, but when it comes to children or ppl being bullied, I turn into a mama bear. If I'd have been on that plane... that man wouldn't have.

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

America is full of spineless worms. Where've you been?

2. kathryn1000 profile image61
    kathryn1000posted 11 years ago

People are afraid to get involved...they think someone else like the air crew should do it...what was the famous case of rape and murder when many people heard the screaming bit not one rang the police...

1. Silva Hayes profile image78
      Silva Hayesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was the Kitty Genovese case . . . a terrible tragedy.

3. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure I would have said something at a minimum. I have a temper... that being said being on a plane may make people a bit uneasy these days to cause trouble even if it is coming to someone's rescue. This situation clearly required intervention...

4. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 11 years ago

I'm sure that many of us have "enjoyed" a flight seated next to a mother with a screaming, crying, infant on her lap, and wished we were somewhere else, but we don't slap the child. 
    Sitting for hours in the cramped seats in economy class is a rare form of torture we willingly pay for.  I would guess this guy had been purchasing and enjoying several of those small but expensive bottles of booze they make available to we passengers.
    By the time this nut case slapped the child, it was too late for anyone to intervene and prevent this from happening.  If I read it correctly, this all happened quite quickly without a fuss to draw attention to what was about to happen.  I would assume he was arrested immediately upon exiting the aircraft, as much for his protection as for what he had done.  I'm also sure there were many male passengers on the plane who given a chance would have shown him the error of his ways.

1. ritsukakunx profile image63
      ritsukakunxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure the mother doesn't enjoy it any more than anyone else. In fact, probably less so, because she's responsible for the crying infant... that is infinitely more stressful than being a bystander.

5. Silva Hayes profile image78
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

I just read an on-line news article that said passengers did intervene ... plus the guy is no longer employed ... not a smooth move for a 60-year-old facing retirement soon (although, in today's world, he probably got a huge severance since he was a CEO).  This is not his first drunken episode in public.  What an ugly story!  Hope the memory fades and the little boy doesn't suffer permanent emotional scars from being attacked by a stranger on a plane.

6. jandee profile image78
    jandeeposted 11 years ago

Weren't there any Women on the plane ? If I had been on that plane I would have been arrested for slapping HIS face ,did the Woman get any compensation from him or the airlaine I hope so,
    jandee

1. ritsukakunx profile image63
      ritsukakunxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What does being a woman really have to do with anything? That is a bit sexist. Should be any instinct. Most people just don't want to get involved. I really don't see anything wrong with that. Those people would have probably end up slapped - what good does unneeded confrontation do? Obviously, authorities took care of it.

7. profile image0

Well I think thats one of our cultures biggest problems today , "dont get involved , let someone else do it !" Although it would be worth getting arrested for, to see his face !

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct ahorseman.  The 'don't get involved' syndrome sucks!  That's why I tell women to yell 'FIRE' if they are being accosted.  Everyone loves a good fire and will come running out of the bushes.  I'm sorry, if I was the mother or even a passenger on the plan, that guy would be eating the floor of the plane.  Yes, it would be worth getting arrested just to see his face.  I'd be sayin "yup I did that! and I'm a girl". 

I have never hesitated in coming to the aid of someone whether it be a vehicle accident I saw on the highway or someone who dropped a piece of paper.  The world has gone to hell in a handbasket and no body cares anymore.

8. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Asking the question "America Where Is Your Morals?" Is a good question to ask however there is a bigger issue here that I can see.

People may want to get involved but laws have changed such that we have hampered and tied the hands of those who would try to make a difference for example it's been a while back but I read that was a law which said "If you were to wake up in the middle of the night and saw a person standing over your bed before you can take any action you need to find out why they are there."

* I also read if someone was attacking you and you should happen to survived that attack and seeing them walk away means you cannot take any action because according to the law you when no longer in danger.

* If someone has broken into your home and in the process hurt themselves they can sue you.

I believe people are hesitant about getting involved because they just might be the one in jail trying to do the right thing.

9. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

Under American and most Western laws, it is a criminal offense to strike a child or assault a child or minor. Perhaps he is used to that behavior or perhaps comes from an abusive background. More to the point, what did the airline do to protect this young child from racial abuse, since a racial slur was used on the child by the man, according to the kid's parents.

Somehow, I think this little kid will get a whopping insurance claim against either the man or the airline or both. Who insure the airline I wonder?

10. adorablebaby profile image60
    adorablebabyposted 11 years ago

first off. This applies to everyone not just american.
    we are all actually "human race"

I've seen dumb things done in all different culture and judging by the rate we are all equal smile

11. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately that's one of the things that are gravely wrong in this world. People have become so overwhelmed with their own problems that they have turned a deaf ear to everything else and one of these days things can end quite badly. I would have been ready to sucker punch that horrid man. A child, my goodness!!! And the mother - she should of bashed him one. At least with her pocketbook as it happens in the movies.

12. profile image0

I probably would have asked everyone to sit down , buckle up , and then opened the door and thrown  a full grown rich child abuser out into the clouds ! lol

13. healthyfitness profile image71
    healthyfitnessposted 11 years ago

You speak of morals, but then endorse violence. I don't understand.

14. Sonya-Artis profile image60
    Sonya-Artisposted 11 years ago

I used this topic during a recent speaking engagement.  It is easy to say what we would have done, if only we were there, but the overwhelming response from the majority of the attendees at the event echos several of the ones here;  People do not want to get involved.

15. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 11 years ago

I know... I can just imagine what would have happened had I jumped out of my chair and started pounding on the guy; or getting in his face and provoking a loud argument... remember you're on a plane. It could have become very ugly. The fact is he was arrested and his life is screwed.... somebody got involved that's for sure....

16. profile image0

We should ask ourselves people , which IS best , Dont ruffle any feathers put your head down and turn your eyes away to avoid the scene , after all ,thats just what our modern culture is best at ! Or stand up for something ! A helpless woman  and a child being  assualted by a drunk ?  If you really have to make a choice like turning your head away to avoid the confrontation ! I don't want to be sitting near you !

17. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

It is my experience that those who boast the loudest about what they would have done in a situation like this are the ones least likely to help when an actual situation arises.

That said, a man did intervene when he heard the derogatory name calling.

18. profile image0

I guess thats meant for me Pretty !  I can only say that some people stand up for somethings while the rest fall for anything !.....:-}

19. jandee profile image78

Strange but maybe our thoughts bring things on-re.this hub- Anyway 7pm last night I walked to the local petrol station to put my lottery ticket on, as I turned from the pavement and walked across the forecourt I was almost killed by a mad driver . I stood by his car door and said "You might get me next time" Well the fury that came from that creep. He called me every foul name that has ever been thought of. I borrowed a pen and got his car reg. I went inside to put my lottery on (had spent half a day sussing out the correct winning numbers}The machine wouldn't take the ticket- that was bad enough but I now had the deranged madman walking at me ----God he was so ugly .I have never seen a human face so distorted as he carried on his abuse.  "You almost killed me " I managed to say. "WHEN HAS ALMOST BEEN A CRIME YOU B..........  He yelled.then he hurriedly left as customers came in-----The garage assistants were practically non-English speakers or so they appeared to be.  I am wondering now should I report it? It is all on camera from the garage or just leave it be . Am I a coward if I don;t report it ?  He probably has no licence and the next time he might kill someone who isn't able to jump away.

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a hard call to make since the original incident was most likely not recorded on camera.  You would no doubt have to give your name and address if you file a complaint.  Do you want this nut case having that information?  Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why should the nut case have Jandee's name and address?

The police in the UK are not in the habit of handing out that information.

1. profile image0
          Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

John, In America, the accused has the right to know who filed the compaint, I assumed it was the same over there.  My mistake.

Eeek! No that information is withheld for the very reason that it might invite unwelcome attention.

1. profile image54
              whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or because they don't really have a complainant!

Then absolutely nothing would happen if there was no complainant!

1. profile image54
                  whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really, how would you know if you are not allowed to confront your accuser?

We have these things called courts where accusers can be fully confronted and challenged.

20. profile image0

Unfortunately , There are standers -by and there are those who act !  I understand fear however , wouldn't it be better to always try to do the right thing !  I not only would report the jerk but problaby get revenge !

21. jandee profile image78

Thanks all,
    I am presently sitting at home waiting for a knock on the door from a Policeman/woman . Thanks all for your input on helping me decide----------Horseback I have reported the jerk,
    best from jandee

22. profile image0

Awesome Jandee, you've done the right thing ! Its a idiot that will almost kill someone and then blame you , Be strong !  Be vigilant ! You've done the right thing!

23. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

It would appear that in a lot of cases America has consistently worked towards tying the hands of its people. I have no doubt that if someone in that airplane thought about rectifying the situation through confrontation with this person they as the good Samaritan would be the one facing jail time.

Even justice from where I'm sitting seems to be only an idea because generally we are only focused on the letter of the law and if for example a murder weapon was found in your possession that clearly ties an individual to a specific crime justice system says if it was not properly found then it has no place in our justice system.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)