Somebody/Someone. Nobody/no-one

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 10 years ago

When would I use "no-one" in preference to nobody" or "someone" in preference to "somebody". And vice versa?

I hate to admit that I am ignorant, but this is beyond me. I am sure there is someone/somebody on HP who can help with this.

1. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I ditto the other responses. I'm glad to have "back up", though. wink I've never thought much of it and simply use whichever comes to mind or sounds best. When home schooling my kids, this specific subject never came up in curriculum, so I don't believe anything is taught in school about "when to use which".

2. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 10 years ago

I don't think it matters - at least, I've never even thought about the difference when writing.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always used whichever I feel like at the time, probably favouring 'someone' over 'somebody' but for no particular reason.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

I have heard that only it depends on how they sound in the sentence.
    "Someone" is two syllables and "somebody" is three-- so the first is sometimes snappier. On the other hand,  saying "someone once said..."  sounds a little stuttery, I think it sounds better to say "somebody once said...".
    Some people say that "someone" refers to a specific person and "somebody" is more general, bu the distinction is small.
    Both are correct, and mean the same, so it is a preference.
    If someone contradicts me, and somebody may, I'll take it under consideration.

In general the same applies to no one and nobody, and anyone and anybody.

1. Fiction Teller profile image59
      Fiction Tellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Somebody might contradict someone, but someone would be wrong.

And if nobody disagrees with THAT point, I'll take it as read that no-one is paying attention.

Oh, and "nobody" is always second to none in my book, because for the life of me I can never remember how to spell no-one/no one/noone. (I swear it should be the last, as the word's had more than enough time to evolve out of hyphenation, but alas, it sounds too much like some high-class lunch hour.)

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure 'noone' is totally wrong. It should be no one -- two words unhyphenated (though The Brits might use it?). This is a good place for evryone to use "nobody". Now, who's on first?

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

1.Somebody and someone share all the same definitions, and are  interchangeable. When you choose one over the other it is usually because it  "sounds" better as per the accompanying sentences/words.
    2. In general, nobody is informal and no one is formal. But mean exactly the same.....................cool

5. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 10 years ago

My early education was a bit disjointed. I worked out once that between the ages of six and ten I averaged a new school every two terms. That was good for me in some ways. And bad in other ways.

I saw the same film about the Dutch tulip industry three times. I have often wondered what I missed.

Now I know! it was no-one/nobody and anyone/anybody.

I really am gratful for these answers!

6. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

The Associated Press Stylebook can help you with these kind of conundrums.  It is commonly used by newspapers.  You can get the book or order it online (very cool)  and look stuff up.

7. profile image0
    OMGirdleposted 10 years ago

I think "someone" is more familiar.  Where as somebody is more distant. "Someone in this room stole the pen."  "Somebody in this room stole the pen."  My opinion only: the first sentence you have an idea who may have stole the pen. You associate with a certain group of people. The second sentence you don't know exactly who stole the pen. You are looking at the whole rather than certain individuals. "No-one called me on my birthday." "Nobody called me on my birthday." Here, my opinion again, the first sentence says out of all the people you know, not one individual called you. The second sentence out of the entire population of the world not one person called you. I think it has to do with familiarity or proximity. I don't know if I'm correct, it's just an opinion.  I didn't want to Google it but rather go off what I thought.

It's almost like your question when you wrote, " I am sure there is someone/somebody on HP who can help with this."  Someone would be HP members who read your thread (in close proximity to your question). Somebody would be any HP member (within the community but outside of your thread).

Just a thought.

8. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 10 years ago

I think Rochelle's response is spot on. Does everyone agree?

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

All answers are basically correct. Both set of terms mean the same and are interchangeable. In the case of no one and nobody one is a bit more  formal (no one) and should be used in more formal conversations if that is your preference. This distinction does not formally apply to some one or somebody but it can be used in the same way (one formal the other informal). Grammatically using either word in the set is correct. It is more a matter of  phonology than anything else. Bottom line; use whichever word you feel more comfortable with................wink

10. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 10 years ago

A very interesting question, one I've often wondered about myself on occasion. 

Usually I use whichever I feel like using or whichever sounds best at the time, but sometimes I feel I have to think about it and my thoughts tell me this:

SOMEONE is used when you don't want just ANYBODY, and SOMEBODY is used when ANYONE will do.  And vice versa.  Same goes for Nobody vs. no-one.  NOBODY is used when ANYONE would make a good substitute and NO-ONE is best used when ANYBODY could fit in its place.  Does that make sense?  (doesn't really to me, but that's how I go about it)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)