Request to HP STAFF to address the RS Ads Issue

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. God is in kitchn2 profile image58
    God is in kitchn2posted 10 years ago

The 'related searches' ads issue has reached its boiling point. I think I will be very wrong if I guess that HP staffs, or CEO have not recently seen any of the foum threads which circled around the RS ads issue. Don't they visit the forums, do they?

If they have seen these foum threads, and if they have witnessed the serious concerns of the hubbers throughout the site, then why haven't they still addressed the issue? Why are they so reluctunt to make some forum posts to make their point?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8161849_f248.jpg

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113943#post2429978

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114162#post2428889

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2429070

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh Boy!  Another thread to bash HP for illegal, immoral and unethical activity on!

There is little doubt they see the threads, just as there is zero doubt they reply.  Not so sure that they will find it necessary to copy their replies over to this thread, though.

What makes you think that haven't addressed the issue?  That the links are still there seems an answer in itself.

2. God is in kitchn2 profile image58

Oh Boy!

Ya! HP has explained away the RS ads issue. Who will doubt that? Except...

"Hey janderson99! I'll step in to the best extent possible.

1. Not now.
    2. Sure! I've added that as an item to discuss in our next community meeting.
    3. The income from the ads on the resulting page would pay for our implementing any/all changes you suggest (as well as site maintenance, etc.).
    4. Janderson99, I think your articles are far more compelling than a Related Links ad unit, but I appreciate your concern.
    5. As I understand it, the unit is actually configured on literally related searches. So it's less misleading than you might think.

I hope that helps!"

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2380764

So, you got your answers.  That you don't like them, or don't accept them, is irrelevant.  You got them - there doesn't seem to be a real reason to continue asking for more. 

Besides, you don't want answers - you want RS searches  gone (although it shouldn't matter to someone without any hubs).  Questions are just another way to stir the pot, to continue to harass HP for perceived wrongs.

God is in kitchn2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What answers have HP given that address the RS ads issue?

Did I misunderstand your post?  Weren't you (mis)quoting HP's answers to Janderson?

3. God is in kitchn2 profile image58

"HP's answers to Janderson?"

Hmmm... I didn't find any answer on that post. Did you? To save me, please quote the 'answers' that you perceive there.

Then I DID misunderstand.  Apologies.

But what is the meaning of "Hey janderson99! I'll step in to the best extent possible.

1. Not now.
      2. Sure! I've added that as an item to discuss in our next community meeting."?

Just random words on a page, without meaning?  An indication of what you want to see?  A parody of some movie? 

What was your post about, if not answers from HP?

What about the Opening Post of this thread?

Just random words on a page, without meaning?  An indication of what you want to see?  A parody of some movie?

"Why are they so reluctunt to make some forum posts to make their point?"

What does "Hey janderson99! I'll step in to the best extent possible.

1. Not now.
          2. Sure! I've added that as an item to discuss in our next community meeting."

mean?

It means that she can't explain the issue.

Or don't want to...

"She" presumably being HP.  So there WAS an answer posted, just not the one you wanted to see.  What I said in the first place, isn't it?

She replied 'janderson99' that she can't explain away the RS ads. There is a huge difference between a response and an explanation.

If you don't know that difference, or if you want to pretend that you don't know that difference - then that's an entirely different issue, Mr. wilderness.

[And by the way, Simone said this: "Hey janderson99! I'll step in to the best extent possible.

1. Not now.
                2. Sure! I've added that as an item to discuss in our next community meeting
                ."

after Paul Edmondson had posted a reply, which failed to satisfy the OP of that thread ('janderson99'), as he continued to ask further clarifications from Paul Edmondson.

Just then, to save the CEO, Simone jumped into the situation, and calmed (or beguiled) 'janderson99' by saying that she will get an explanation for the RS ads, after she gets one.

I don't know what Paul Edmondson was really doing there. As it seems, he didn't have an explanation for the RS ads, either. Or, didn't want to.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2380764 ]

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
            Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just possibly, HP may figure out a way to place some links to relevant hubs on the pages, as well as their ads.  This would placate me anyway.  My problem is the deception in the links.  If I remember correctly, the "tags" used to lead to this type of page?

We might not earn revenue from these pages, but at least there would be a chance that some traffic could be gained from them.

You lost me.  No, the old tags were used for the internal search program, and would hopefully produce the hub in an internal search.  They were also removed from that purpose long before they were deleted from the hub.

Relevance is a problem, all right, when an algorithm is used to determine that relevance instead of a human.  Plus, I'm pretty sure that "relevant" includes the readers history; I see links referring to stuff from my recent history.  This is what is done with the normal ads as well, and although I don't like it I understand the reasoning and am willing to give a little on the issue. 

The links under the actual hub, pointing to other hubs, are the same - algorithm determined "relevance" and again I could wish for more relevance.  Considering that google doesn't do much better with all their resources, I don't expect any more from little old HP.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75

I would just like to see some type of actual content on the page.  A list of hubs that would relate to the search term would be awesome.  An internal search result page with ads placed.  A list of hubs that would relate to the keyword.  Something, other than just unrelated ads.  This could lead to a click through to another hub instead of just a bounce.

1. HollieT profile image80
                  HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, and in the end should eventually lead to more revenue for HP anyway, and of course, keep visitors on the site longer.

2. wilderness profile image94

Not a bad idea.  Not sure about actual "content" as in useful information, but it does seem like an internal search result with a half dozen more hubs might be valuable to both HP and hubbers.

Of course, that means a "relevant" result from the search - something the "related hubs" at the bottom of a hub isn't really good at.  Still, I like the idea - maybe a narrow (hub sized) list of SERPs with the RS ads on the side?  Or would adsense slap HP for that (Google does it - why can't HP?).

1. Reality Bytes profile image75

The content would be in the hub summaries.  IMO, this would alleviate the entire issue.

It would be great if the relevance also followed the users history.  Imagine a reader that was recently searching cookware that lands on a political hub to be led to hubs on cookware reviews?.  I don't know if this would be possible, but it would be great.

4. God is in kitchn2 profile image58

"I would just like to see some type of actual content on the page.  A list of hubs that would relate to the search term would be awesome.  An internal search result page with ads placed."

It's a good idea. But if implemented, this system would still funnel away traffic from hubbers' time split.

And give it right back through the same links on other hubs.

Yes, to rob Peter to...

Yep - round and round we go. 

Looking at the traffic stats for individual hubs I see quite a few visitors coming from other hubbers hubs.  I have yet to complain about it, though, even though I have the same 8 links at the bottom of my hubs taking traffic away.  Traffic that obviously didn't like the links I provided them so went elsewhere.

You need to upgrade the quality of your arguments. They are being ignored.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
              MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

By your own accusation, so are yours.

Perhaps if you improved the quality of your arguments, HP would feel they were worth answering.

It would be worthwhile if HP staffs make that argument on this forum thread themselves, instead of a ...

2. wilderness profile image94

Yup.  I'm a tool of HP and a brown-noser.  Not worthy of listening to.

Besides, I'm not screaming that HP is evil and cheating us all illegally.  Without that, few are interested.  Plus, of course, I present few opinions, just facts, and facts that the screamers don't want to speak of.

Thanks for understanding us.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2430232

I'm sorry, but if you can't figure out the explanation for RS links - that HP makes money from them - you have more problems than a lack of hubs.  That should have been obvious from the very first post some weeks ago.

We've also received an explanation as to why they don't violate the earnings split, but of course no one wants to accept that one either and keeps right on saying they're illegal.  Which is pretty much what I said - you don't want any response except removal. 

So, again, why would HP repeat the same things they've already said?  No one cares anyway...Reality Bytes provided a reasonable compromise, I thought, but it meant keeping the RS links, so he's shot down, too.

Perhaps you don't need to upgrade the quality of your arguments. At this point, that would be a luxury.

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"I would just like to see some type of actual content on the page.  A list of hubs that would relate to the search term would be awesome.  An internal search result page with ads placed."

There are 8 so called 'related' hubs listed at the bottom of the page under Discover More Hubs

5. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

The only reason left to write on HP, is that it is a powerful platform and can get you views.

Well, it is a lot less powerful than it used to be.

To be honest, Blogspot is just as good.

Major difference is, you don't need to split earnings.

And no-one puts unrelated RS links on your posts to lure visitors away.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)