Hub and Relevant Thread in Forum

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Hello Everyone:

I have seen several (NOT ALL) of our High-Scoring Authors here Publish a Hub and then Post a Thread in the Forum on the Same Topic. This probably, gives them more traffic. How far is this correct ?

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Probably not.

How many visitors is a person likely to get from HubPages?

A few dozen?

And it's not quality traffic.

The only quality traffic a person can get from the hubpages forum is having a hub about HubPages.

And I don't have Adsense ads on, or any Amazon or Ebay products. So I'm not doing it for the money.

So whether it's about HubPages or any other topic, you're not going to make any money from promoting inside the forum.

1. thranax profile image72
        thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting Darkside. It really can. A Hubber can read another's Hubber Hub and send it to a friend. Well...someone could have just made money from Word-of-Mouf from a Hubber. I know if I see an article that I know can help a friend I give it to them (with my tracker of course) but I still give it to them. That gives them a potential to get a small sum from one if there lucky.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps Darkside was exaggerating a bit when he said you're not going to make ANY money, but you have to agree you're not talking about a LOT.    In terms of money-making potential, you'd do much better to post on forums elsewhere rather than here.

2. guidebaba profile image58
          guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thranax, Good Observation Man.

3. darkside profile image64
          darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are correct, there is chance. But in comparison to other ways to get visitors it's so slim that you'd probably have to run the risk of really pissing people off to make it worth while.

But I do stand by my comment that having a hub about HubPages isn't going to make a person money. Seeing that I turned off the ads big_smile

The reason I did that was the Adsense ads being displayed were totally irrelevant. Again if I kept the ads running there might be a chance that someone does click on them, but at the cost of a lower CTR.

Thank you Darkside. I liked and appreciate your thoughts. I think instead of wasting time on these kind of topicks, I should think about promoting my work/hub. That should be more profitable. Thank you once againg for taking out some time and posting here.

Thanks & Regards!

2. profile image51
      simonrexposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are many things responsible for traffic. It can be one.

<no signatures please>

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Give some examples?

Plz don't ask me for the names. I can easily provide it but those people will take me wrong. (Hint: latest thread on a long living animal)

You've lost me, I'm afraid.  I can't see any Hubs on long lived animals except one on turtles, and that Hubber wasn't publicizing a Hub - he was publicizing a Request.  You don't earn any money or get traffic from posting Requests, and sounds like he genuinely wanted an answer, so I can't see a problem with that!

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any prominent Hubbers who do what you're describing.

Marisa: Yes there are several Hubbers. Believe me. I don't want to mention any name. They will all start hating me.

I am going to close this post now.

Thank you.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol - You cannot close this post. And picking a fight with some hubpages members in public is just not worth the effort.

Especially when most of us can tell the difference between starting a thread to ask a genuine question and starting a thread to promote yourself.

1. SunSeven profile image63
              SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LMAO. I caught Mark on the wrong foot! big_smile

Mark: Don't try to be very smart. It is you who is picking up the fight. Did I ask you to come and post here. You are just following me and posting everywhere where you see my presence. It is you who is starting up the fight.

What Effort are you talking about ??? Did I put any Fight with you ???? Do I have any Reason ??? Do I benefit from it ???

Hahahaahhahahaha..... You started a Thread on some Topic called "Danger" (Or something like that where you put a picture of 2 hands coming out of the bed). What were you trying to Do there ? Promote yourself ??? Did it make any sense in starting such a post ?????

I want some peace. Leave me alone. Please concentrate on your Hubs and let me do that. (Request)

2. Whitney05 profile image82
          Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

He's talking about me. Tatet2tot posted a forum thread and a request about caring for his turtle. I asked him questions in the thread about what kind of turtle, because I'd seen the request, but couldn't help without a species. When I was finished I posted the link to let him know that it was finished, because not all of the time do you get the emails saying your request has been answered. I know with my last several requests all with a handful of answers, I never received the email. I wanted to let him know that the request was answered and ready for him to check out.

Thanks Marisa for defending me a little.

Also, I can think of a few threads that publicize hubs. There's another in the pet section, where a hubber said he this event happened, saw it in the news, by the way heres a hub I wrote about it. I called him on it, but I was told he wasn't spamming, but it sure sounded like it to me.

Guidebaba, I wanted to add that I don't expect much traffic from the link, and I didn't post it to self-promote. I posted it to let tater2tot know that the hub was finished. I try not to post links of my hubs in the forums, but when I do, I don't expect much. I rely on search engine traffic for the bulk of my traffic, and tell you the truth, I do pretty well at that, so the few clicks I'll probably get from linking in that thread are bare minimal and don't really concern me in the long-run.

Whitney, I don't think he was talking about you.  He says that some Hubbers write a Hub then POST A THREAD about it.  You didn't start the thread - someone else did, and you posted a link in response.  I think that's perfectly legitimate and I can't see why anyone would complain about it!

3. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Ahh, you are at the tail of the fox, when you really want to be on the nose.

They don't make the forum post to just get traffic, no no lol. It's higher thinking then that. They use what is discussed to get more information for there Hub. By knowing what our concerns on the topic are they can alter there Hub to satisfy more people. It also does somewhat give them traffic, but that is a "side effect".

Hope this helps,

-thranax

Yes I agree with this.

4. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

You are not totally wrong. If not all but few are doing it. What about threads on sexy hubbers.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I haven't seen any myself. I see some "high scoring" Hubbers post a link to their hub when someone asks for help. If they have started a thread just to promote their hub then Maddie will delete that link...

Oh...the drama

Sir: Thank you.

6. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I agree that its better to just post your links on other forums and get real traffic from other communities smile. Bottom line of this:
    If you post it on Hubpage Forums, you have a very limited low change of seeing a few pennys.
    If you post on other sites you can a lot more, might as well take that effort and put it somewhere else. It isn't that hard.

I also believe starting a topic about it on this forum, as I also stated before is to gain information to better the Hub. By learning peoples problems with something, or there concerns or there questions on the forum, you can then implement it into your Hub, making it more optimized for a better amount of content which in turn leads to a better Hub that will obtain more traffic in search engines, answer more of the readers questions, and hopefully raising the clicks one receives from the Hub.

7. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Does anyone know if YieldBuild does section targeting with adsense? Just wondering.

ProCW

8. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

You need to have been around HubPages for a while to know what is acceptable in terms of linking to your own Hubs, and newbies are jumped on quickly when they do it.

Established Hubbers have a bit more leeway, because they have already established that they are adding value to the community and not simply blowing their own horn.

I can very deeply understand looking around and seeing that apparently some established Hubbers are "do as I say, not as I do". I remember feeling a bit like the cliques had formed without me when I first started.

But actually, it is just a matter of learning the subtle "norms" of this particular culture.

I recently started a thread about a Hub I had written answering a frequently asked question about Adsense, and I felt it was marginal, so I explicitly asked Maddie to delete it once she had read it if she felt it was inappropriate to leave it there. Last time I looked it was still there.

I am well aware that a brand new Hubber doing the same thing with their very first Hub would most likely have been instantly deleted and chastised.

It can seem unfair to the newcomers when that sort of thing happens.

I can only say that the differences are subtle, and have to do with the quality and nature of your individual contributions in the forums over time, but they are real differences. You need to get a feel for what those differences are.

In a text environment, and particularly if you have English as a second language, it can take time to pick up the nuances. And it is hard to explain them in words sometimes.

And then, by the time you get that feeling settled in, and you know intuitively when you should or shouldn't post links to your own Hubs, you will be one of the "established Hubbers" that the newer Hubbers complain is getting special treatment ...

Jenny

Dear Jenny: Thank you for making things very clear. I appreciate and respect you. I am New (I hope i can say that) in this community and still learning. I apologize if I had hurt anyone's feelings. I will take care in future and Honour HP and other senior hubbers.

Thanks & Best Regards!

Ray

9. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Thanks, Ray, you're very kind.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

I'm sure you will enjoy Hubbing even more as you get familiar with the environment here. It's a great bunch of people.

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)