My new hub 'A Treatise on MARRIAGE, MORALITY, and SEX'

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (44 posts)
  1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I don't have any idea how to respond to ANY of the above. Wow.

So I'll merely point out that using the Forums to pimp your own Hubbage is totally against site rules 'n' stuff. Just sayin'.

1. Prakash RnP profile image38
      Prakash RnPposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry for the mistake. I assure you that it won't be repeated.

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

Did you suggest somewhere in there that dogs and cats can get married?

Did I really suggest that?
      What I wanted to say is if we make the principle of healthy and meaningful living our life principle, we have to do away with the institution of matrimony just because this institution fails to harmonise with this principle; not because cats and dogs have the peculiar custom of getting married. Nor is it because cats and dogs don't get married for having sex or procreation that I view nonmarital sexuality, whether it's based on passion or sheer desire, as a healthy and normal practice. I view it as healthy and normal just because it doesn't rest on considerations like caste, class, status, power, possessions, etc, etc, i.e. considerations other than love or desire. On the other hand, a true marriage, not a travesty of a marriage, is bound to be a marriage of convenience; that means a true marriage must be based on some consideration other than love or sexual urges. Or else, your marriage must turn farcical.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I'll get right onto that.  It's a mixed breed marriage though. Myself, I am in a polyamorous marriage with the sofa and my TV.

4. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 10 years ago

As well as the interesting cats and dogs stuff, the hub is LONG.  Probably the longest Hub in the history of Hubpages at over 20,000 words (I kid you not).  It might be worth publishing it as a book on Amazon Kindle?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, did some of us actually read the hub?

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
        Rik Ravadoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Beth - I see you are visiting from Bubblews!  I didn't actually read all the Hub, but trust me, there is a lot of it and I did a word count on it.  I shall save reading the whole thing for a special occasion.  I do think its the sort of thing you might enjoy smile

1. profile image0

Ive been trying to close my bubblews account for a few weeks. I sent them two letters requesting this, but I don't think they've done it yet... although I haven't tried to sign on in a few days so maybe they have. Who knew it would be so hard to change your mind?

Why do you want to close the account?  Do you find Bubblews doesn't work for you?  Certainly things are looking a bit better here, traffic wise, but I'm keeping my options open!

1. profile image0

I felt disconnected there. It felt like I was only making money on some sort of technicality, not because anyone had read or cared about my work... not that anyone here necessarily does, but it just feels so sterile and mechanical there. But that was just my take on it. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I got about two paragraphs in and my eyes started to glaze over so I bailed out...

1. profile image0

You are braver than I. I didn't even want to read the post here on the forum.

2. Prakash RnP profile image38

As it made your eyes 'glaze over', you were right to have 'bailed out' of it. I'm sorry that my hub failed to engage you. Nevertheless, you ought also to consider the point that mine isn't a poem or a story designed to make an entertaining or amusing reading. It's a serious piece of writing aimed at making a quest for the truth, the plain, whole, and unpleasant truth, and thus enlighten readers. In this work of mine I've dealt with a lot of questions no sensible humans can evade bothering about, e.g. what the true purpose of a true marriage, not a travesty of a marriage, is and ought to be, what the true nature of the institution of matrimony is, whether matrimony is a licence for sex or procreation, whether love is reconcilable with matrimony, whether matrimony fits in with the principle of healthy and meaningful living, what meaningful part matrimony performs in an individual's life or in society, whether matrimony is society-friendly or society-unfriendly, whether matrimony is anti-feminine, whether a working woman's marriage is to be regarded as true or a travesty, whether matrimony has got anything meaningful for the poor or proletarians, whether it makes sense for a sensible man to get married, whether it becomes a civilized human at all to indulge in the luxury of matrimony, whether the Communists' defence for their indulgence in the luxury of marriage and family is defensible, et cetera, et cetera. Are the answers to all these questions known to you? You may not agree to spend your precious time on any work of mine. But the truth is inescapable and invincible. If my views aren't wrong and as they concern your sexuality that happens to be inseparable from your normal and healthy life, you might not be able to evade them for long, as I view it. You might find some paragraphs or parts boring. But that shouldn't be a sensible reason you should abandon reading, I reckon.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

TL;DR

I regret my failure to make sense of 'TL; DR'. Please explain it.

Google is your friend

Is this reply meant for me? I don't understand what it means.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
                Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

TL;DR
                (Internet) too long; didn’t read. Used to indicate that one did not read a (long) text, or to mark a short summary of an overly long text.

Thank you for the reply. I really didn't know what the abbreviations stood for.

3. Prakash RnP profile image38

I'm still awaiting a reply from you.

Hi Rik- Yes, it's 'LONG'. But the title and the topic are both 'LONG' too, aren't they?

5. psycheskinner profile image84

Well, if that was what marriage was all about (a bureaucratic chastity belt) I would agree that it sucks too.  Fortunately it isn't.

May I seek a little elaboration of how your view , i.e. marriage is 'a bureaucratic chastity belt', relates to mine. As I view it, the institution of matrimony really 'sucks'. Your comment ('Fortunately, it isn't.') manifestly clashes with my views. Would you elaborate it too?

You assume marriage relates to assured paternity.  a.k.a. stops females from sleeping with other people.

Seems pretty obvious to me.  \

I on the other hand watch Jerry Springer.

Reading between the lines of your brief observation, I've understood that by 'females' you've meant married women and by 'other people' men other than their hubbies, right? The point is in order to assure your hubby the paternity of your kids, you mustn't engage in any liaisons with 'other people'. This prompted you to comment that matrimony is 'a bureaucratic chastity belt', and that 'it sucks', right? So far I think I can agree with you. But then, you let loose this comment: 'Fortunately, it isn't.' You didn't elaborate it. You seem to have meant by 'it' the silly stuff people indulge in today in the name of matrimony, in which the married women have got a lot of freedom to engage in liaisons with 'other people'. And you appear to stand for such things, right? That means you're all for married women 'sleeping with other people', right? If this is the case, then what I'd like to ask first is whether you're sure whether such a 'marriage' is a true marriage, not a travesty of a marriage. The marriage that fails to serve a meaningful purpose is, as I view it, a travesty of a marriage, isn't it? In my 'A Treatise on MARRIAGE, MORALITY, and SEX' I've discussed this point. The gratification of your passion or desire, for which you needn't get married at all, cannot be the 'meaningful purpose' a perfect marriage must serve. Why should a sensible woman that stands for sexual freedom get into a travesty of a marriage if she wants to live a healthy and meaningful life?

Marriage assures nothing about paternity.  Only a DNA test can do that.

Married women are as free to sleep around as anyone else.

You've then clarified your view of 'marriage'. You're both for indulging in 'marriage' and for enjoying your freedom to engage in extramarital sex. And you believe this sort of 'marriage' is true marriage. Would you please state the rationale for your stance? What meaningful purpose do you expect this sort of 'marriage' to serve?

Expecting signing a certificate marriage to ensure your child is your biological offspring is naive at best.  If you think that is the sum total of what marriage is, is equally myopic.

There is no true marriage or false marriage, just what two people make of it and what it is under the law. 

In fact it arguably does the exact opposite of what you suggest (ensuring paternity) as it legally requires the husband to support the child, whether it is biologically his or not.

Your non-myopic view of marriage, as I've understood it, is that 'Marriage assures nothing about paternity,' and that 'Married women are as free to sleep around as anyone else,' right? And you're not in the least bothered about what meaningful purpose this sort of 'marriage' is expected to serve in your life or your partner's, right? You're not in the least bothered, either, about whether this sort of 'marriage' fits in with the principle of healthy and meaningful living, right?
                  Would you agree with me on the point that the 'marriage' that fails to serve a meaningful purpose is a travesty of a marriage?
                  You also hold the view that there's 'no true marriage or false marriage'. Madam, are you sure that this is a sensible idea? This is like saying there's no rainy day nor any non-rainy day or saying there's no red rose nor any non-red rose. Such statements, as I view it, are plain nonsensical. Days can definitely be classed either as rainy days or non-rainy days, can't they? In a place, e.g. the netherworld, where there exists eternal darkness and time has come to a complete standstill, it is possible you'd encounter  no rainy days nor any non-rainy days. Similarly, only in a world where the institution of matrimony is no longer in existence you may hope to find 'no true marriage or false marriage', I reckon.
                  The 'husband' that consents, being well aware that it might not be his biological child, to support it can't be viewed as a sensible guy, can he? I wonder what meaningful thing a sensible woman should expect to derive from her marriage to such a guy.
                  Finally, I should like to know whether you're concerned at all with the principle of living a healthy and meaningful life.

I can see why you are against marriage.  You have a very narrow, religiously-based and conservative view of it.  Perhaps if you realized that adult people use marriage in myriad ways you would realize what a great thing it is.  The one thing it cannot do is the one thing you seem to think it can: put a padlock on a woman's vagina.

6. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

I feel you ought to be rewarded for all the effort you've put into arguing with people just to generate some internal traffic to your hub. Here is the precious link you've been barred from posting.

<link snipped>

For context.

You should also mention this hub is over 20,000 words in length - probably the longest hub in the history of Hubpages!

Thank you for the response. I should like to hear something more from you.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, it wasn't much of a response considering the forum mods snip-snipped my link  is if it were the flea-bitten testicles of a stray dog brought into an animal shelter. My hubberscore -- aka worth as a human being in integer form -- was mysteriously docked 13 points after attempting to provide some reference for this discussion since the original post was rather idiotically deleted.

If you would like to hear something more from me, it will only be the phrase "flea-bitten testicles"  so as to provide the forum mods with an actual reason for meting out the petty punishments that give their life meaning.  Can't wait to see puffy-head on a segway!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's an exclusive hubtitle if anyone wants it...

How to prevent flea-bitten testicles on a stray dog

Just remember to link to the math guy's profile.

My hubberscore also fell off considerably very recently, 'mysteriously'. I think the forum moderators ought to to let us know the reasons for such phenomena and thus help us take care to avoid such things in the future.
          I don't understand the rationale for the deletion of 'the original post' in question. As the forum moderators don't disapprove of the discussion on this topic, what's wrong with 'the original post'? A clarification of this point is solicited.

You
            cannot
            link
            to
            your
            hubs
            in
            this
            subforum

That really has been made very clear.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

How is this thread still going on?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If people would quit bumping, the thread would go away. Anyway, looks like it's been moved here:
      http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/A-P … t-12230550

1. profile image0

I haven't seen it leave the top of the list yet.

8. psycheskinner profile image84

The link was snipped for you for the same reason as for OP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)