If you had the option to have an arranged marriage, would you do so and why?

1. Esenbee profile image60
    Esenbeeposted 3 years ago

If you had the option to have an arranged marriage, would you do so and why?

2. BLynd Logyk profile image78
    BLynd Logykposted 3 years ago

This question misses the point a little bit, but I'll try to answer as best I can.

First, I would say that no, an arranged marriage would not be preferable to a natural bonding.

My own personal reason is that I don't even believe in the institution of marriage as a good, meaningful or useful concept. Humans bond, they love each other, it's probably the most powerful thing we do as a species. Marriage is an institution that tries to take control of this beautiful thing called love, but it's not meaningful because love transcends the concept of marriage.

An arranged marriage is much different than a normal marriage. The problem with your question is that people who are the objects of arranged marriages do not get the option, generally speaking. They are often used to benefit the families with no concern for the two parties intimately involved. That's not always the case, but most often it is. For that reason, I simply don't like the idea of arranged marriage.

On the other hand, there are a few advantages I can personally think of that would be benefits of arranged marriage.

1. Maybe you don't want to spend your time dating and courting a woman and all that hassle. Maybe you're a scientist or other type of intellectual whose contributions to the world are to valuable to be stemmed by your desire to chase women. In this case, you have an arranged marriage with a woman for whom you can provide a better life than she previously had. That's the key point, this only works if the woman also desires and is happy with the arrangement.

2. I understand that there are religious undertones to arranged marriage. Personally, I hate these undertones when they objectify women or cause any undue suffering to anybody. That being said, some very peaceful and relatively benign religious beliefs endorse arranged marriage, and I don't think they are necessarily objectifying women in some of those rare cases. (Though generally, I do think that arranged marriage is a device to objectify women.)

3. Maybe you're just ugly and genuinely suck. I don't mean that in a rude or offensive way at all, seriously! Loneliness can be the most painful way to die, and it causes so much untold suffering around the world. The irony is that there are soooo many who are lonely, all they need to do is come together! I understand that this ends up being a bit like segregation by appearance, and I hate that idea and am not advocating it at all. I'm simply saying, if you're very lonely..........

1. Esenbee profile image60
      Esenbeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering and I love your response. I know that most arranged marriage situations are forced but I was referring to if someone had the option to choose an arranged marriage, would they take that route. You explained that well!!

working