Monetary value of each Hub per day included on statistics page

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

It would be really helpful to see what the monetary value of each hub is per day or week or month (preferably per day or month) as an additional column on the main statistics page. For example, a Hub that was published years ago may have many views, but since they were acquired over a long time the Hub value (amount that goes in my pocket) might be a lot less than a newer hub with the same number of views. Ebay and (for those of you to whom it still applies) Amazon income should be added to this value, too, since that's an integral part of the monetary success of each Hub.

Knowing what each hub is literally worth, I could tell better what to do to make it worth more: add affiliate capsules, delete them if there are too many, add text, etc.

1. Genna East profile image82
      Genna Eastposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I love this idea, Laura.  This way, we're not operating "in the dark," so to speak.

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Genna East! I hope HubPages loves it, too. (They'd get more money in the long run if they did this, I truly believe, too.)

1. CyclingFitness profile image89
          CyclingFitnessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have you considered using google Analytics linked to Adsense to get an idea on this? I use it to get an idea on hub performance money wise.

Yes, I use it occasionally, but it's a lot more clumsy than if the data were simply shown on the chart with the rest of the data about each Hub on a regularly updated basis. I only check Analytics occasionally because it's an extra, annoying step; in contrast, it's fast and easy to just check the Stats page and see some of the pertinent data about each Hub. Rising and falling traffic and Hub scores only tell part of the story, whereas the cumulative dollar value a particular Hub has earned over a period of time (or all-time) would be highly useful in knowing where best to spend my time writing new Hubs and revising existing ones to get more value out of them. Also, less sophisticated (such as new) Hubbers may not have Analytics and Adsense mastered (it took me awhile--it is somewhat confusing, despite all of the tutorials here), so they would be in the dark about the actual monetary performance of each Hub if that data is never shown on the Stats page. I think new Hubbers are key to our community's success, so the more we can help them come up to speed quickly the better. High-quality Hubs by everyone benefit everyone else on HubPages and keep readers engaged and returning to our community for information/amusement/enlightenment.

I think if the monetary value were shown on the Stats page people would be better informed and motivated to improve existing Hubs and to write more Hubs like ones that are performing well, to the benefit of HubPages as well as the Hubbers themselves and, thereby, the community as a whole.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Given that HubPags has never paid the slightest bit of attention to any of the copious requests in the past to make their earnings program reporting actually hub-specific (aka useful), don't be surprised if nothing comes of your request.

LOL Okay, I won't hold my breath! Thanks again, relache!

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

There wouldn't be a way for HP to include Adsense or Amazon in this.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good point, and my top earners include some hubs that earn primarily from Amazon.  Any HP earnings pale beside that from Amazon.

4. profile image0
    iCrystalWriterposted 10 years ago

While HubPages may have some access to the data for their own Ad Program enough to provide some accurate revenue statistics on it, I don’t think it will be as easy or as simple as you think to get the same type of accurate statistics on revenue for Adsense or Amazon for instance for each hubber, since the real data on these programs are actually tracked by Google and Amazon respectively and not HubPages.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I doubt anyone was expecting that it would include the external programs.

6. susi10 profile image95
    susi10posted 10 years ago

This is a really good idea, Laura! big_smile I would love a feature like this, even just for the Ad Program as I would know which topics are best to write about. It won't hurt the HP team to add this feature to the statistics page. They actually have this feature on Squidoo, where beside each 'lens' that you write, they say the amount it made. So if Squidoo has it, we should too.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo takes a bigger cut of the revenue and almost certainly spends less on quality control.

Would you pay for the feature out of your earnings?

1. susi10 profile image95
        susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, I wouldn't. Good point Will, I never thought of that. Well, I'm not too fussed about it anyways, I know that the hub with the most views earns me the most.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo pays differently, based on earnings tiers.

7. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

You can calculate it yourself anyway if using the Hubpages Ad program.

Calculate traffic views per day = money per day.

Then figure out what percentage of traffic your hub has.

Eg if I earn 50c per day for 100 views, then a hub with 10 views is worth 5c per day.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

CPM can vary between $1 and $20 though?

2. Laura Schneider profile image85

Suzanne, is that really all there is to the formula: traffic views/day=$/day? Like WryLilt, I thought that the traffic had to click on ads or Ebay/Amazon capsules in order to earn us anything financially (though traffic alone helps our scores)... Am I still confused?

Besides, if the formula is anywhere near that obvious/easy, there's no reason why it should cost them an arm and a leg to add a column with this information (at least up through the previous day's earnings) on our Stats page.

Regardless of Suzanne's formula, they tell us continuously how much we've made cumulatively (across all Hubs) in the recent past, so that means that they already have the necessary variables defined in their system to calculate total earnings and can simply use those same variables to also calculate the per-Hub value (adding Amazon and Ebay earnings as soon as those numbers become available, too, which may lag by a day or so). Either that, or they're completely making up what they owe us out of thin air, which I really don't believe.

Regarding the cost of the change: pessimistically, an hour of coding the formula and merging the new code into the main line and an hour of implementing the UI change should be more than enough developer time to implement such a simple change, plus 15 minutes to inform the community of the change via a forum message... That's a VERY cheap feature in programming terms.

Most likely, as others have said, they simply don't want to do it for some reason or it would have been done a long time ago.

Oh, well. I'm stuck with my spreadsheet, which calculates this for me (based on traffic, without knowing which hubs get clicks on ads/capsules) on the rare occasion that I bother to go through the hassle of intelligently optimizing existing work.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP Ads - PPV (pay per view) but the CPM varies, my guess is based on clicks and possibly country, length of stay, source of traffic.

eBay - PPV (pay per click), no commission on sold items

Amazon - Commission only. Paid directly via Amazon so HP is not involved. No money for clicks.

Adsense - PPC (pay per click), paid directly via Adsense, so HP is not involved. Very minimal PPV earnings as well (like 10c CPM)

Wow, thanks for clarifying! (How on earth do you know all this? I am always humbled by my fellow Hubbers!!). Thanks much! I figured it wasn't quite as simple as Suzanne's formula, though hers does provide some helpful guidance, and that CPM had to be factored in.

Cheers! :-)

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
            Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there probably is more to it than my formula, but because I'm not collecting $20k per month yet, I just like to keep it as a rough guide. If my pay goes up, I will also be looking further in depth about affectations!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)