Have You Ever Used The 'N' Word?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Where? How? When? And most importantly, why?

1. Lady_E profile image60
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My friends take me clubbing once in a while. I must have used it on the dance floor while singing and dancing along to the Music.

Those American Hip Hop artists sure do have some naughty lyrics.
      I blame them. smile

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You, Elena! I didn't know you had a wild party side. Now I'm coming for you now!

2. profile image0

You, Elena! I didn't know you had a wild party side. Now I'm coming for you now!

Lol. Well, you have to let your hair down sometimes.

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have. When? not important, long ago How? in many ways the same as everyone else did including black friends of mine. Ashamedly in the bad way too Why? ignorant I was and insensitive.
      Now I don't and won't. Have you used racially slurred comments may I ask and not necessarily against whites.
      I might add that I am of mixed race myself. Native American/European no different than many others. and no better.

3. Raven King profile image59
      Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NEVER!

1. Raven King profile image59
        Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never used that word.

4. flread45 profile image60
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say NO all the time..smile))

2. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Wow, cj - you ARE fiery!! smile In all seriousness, no I have not used that term to my recollection. Oh, back up. I may have quoted from the scene in Rush Hour where Jackie Chan says "Whassup, my n*****s," trying to fit in. That is hilarious! It is actually a funny little look at how that whole dynamic goes - who is 'allowed' to say what, etc.
    No, in real life, I would never use it as it seems highly derogitory and offensive and I would not want anyone coming into my house or using that language around my son.
    That said, I've got plenty of music where that word is sprinkled around pretty generously. That's probably a whole other conversation, though... smile

1. profile image0

You got that right.

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Yeah, Fiery.  I wrote a book for young adults on the Scottsboro Boys legal case here in the US during the Great Depression.  I had to use the N-word a few times. wink Those Southern courtrooms were kinda big on it back then.

1. profile image0

I see.

4. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I've never said the word. When it was my turn to read aloud To Kill a Mockingbird I said "N" and kept reading.

5. curiozities profile image62
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

I was a big fan of the gangster rap group NWA ages ago, when I was in college (hint: the "N" in "NWA" stands for THE "N Word").  And yes, I'd sing a lot of their songs, which used the "N" word quite liberally.  My foolish, misspent youth.

6. frankiectlus profile image60
    frankiectlusposted 14 years ago

In American culture, the N word has become sort of an enigma.  On one hand, it is used all over the airwaves through hiphop and other forms of communication, but on the other hand if you are not approved to use it than you might want to think twice.  In my household, I have band the use of the word, along with all other forms of derogatory remakrs, as it has no relevance to anything we would be talking about.  My oldest used it all the time when he lived at home and I got on him everytime.  I hate the stereotypes that come along with it.  It would be like saying I was a Redskin just because I am Native American.

7. TheMoneyGuy profile image67
    TheMoneyGuyposted 14 years ago

I figure you won't get as much honesty on this thread as you were looking for, but I am one of those that likes to keep it as real as possible.

I have used the word on several occasions throughout my life.  The truth is I have thought it more than I have said it.

It is very hard not to, as base creatures we tend to get right to the nitty gritty in our minds, but put smiles on our faces, because we are too weak to say what we think.

The reality, is nothing makes me more angry than some asshole that comes off with I am not a racist because I have a black friend.

Having a friend of color, doesn't make someone open minded. 

Being able to respect all thoughts and opinions and people especially those that are the most repulsive, that makes someone open minded and tolerant.

Realizing that the man in the white sheet has just as much right as Malcolm X to make a speech, that burning a flag is just as protected as going to church, that makes someone tolerant and open minded.

It has taken me most of my life to come to these realizations.

Realizing that the price of freedom has nothing to do with a soldier dying on foreign soil, but that some asshole might rob you at gunpoint or say something foul and hateful to you, or rape your wife and murder your children, and realizing that accepting that insecurity is the real price of freedom. 

For those who trade liberty for security deserve neither.

The truth is we should stop bringing it up and let it die the death it so deserve.  My children would not know of racism or the ugly words that go with it, if it weren't for school and the media stirring the pot.  It just keeps us from realizing that we are all just one race; the human race, and keeps us in competition while the ruling elite rob us all, of the fruits of our labor, laughing all the way to the bank.

TMG

8. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

The only folk I have ever heard using the word "nigger" (I'm assuming that's the word you mean, and not "neoclassical," "nefarious," or "nationalistic")are African Americans.  I used to ask my classes about it, and about offensive names for white folk, too.  Since I'm not American, everyone understood that I was merely asking for information, and not trying to incite anger or offend anyone.

That WAS the word you were referring to?

1. profile image0

I can see how you're not trying to incite anger or offend anyone. I can see that pretty well.

9. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Never used it, in Ireland its different names we call each other, we are more interested in religious name calling than someones colour. We Irish like to be different, ya know smile

10. profile image53
    mircimonurposted 14 years ago

nice.

1. profile image0

hey check this people, this guy drops into Hubpages, and in the first couple of mins, all he says is nice. Ain't that just nice.

1. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

are you drunk

11. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I don't think you are even from Nigeria Fiery,,,,, are you kidding us all,

Me too.  He could be from America.

12. profile image0

or the philipines or anywhere really

1. profile image0

why you people would think a thing like that truly behoves me. Now listen Brenda, if you dont know where I'm from, who else will? I'm gonna say this just once, I'm from Nigeria, the Heart of Africa. The largest black nation on Earth. I'm from the Ibo tribe. The most illustrious tribe in the country. No more.

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like I said. LOL on your other thread

2. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe you my friend and I will also always support you, I like that you are fiery, at least you are not false. The Captain salutes you !

1. profile image0

no fugazi, lol. We keeps it real, Captain.

1. profile image49
            badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know you do my friend smile

13. profile image0

are they all hot headed in your tribe....

14. Cam Anju profile image68
    Cam Anjuposted 14 years ago

No... never! I hate it when people think they are better then because of their skin color, it disgusts me. The whole skin color white being better reminds me of Blond hair and blue eyes.. the pure race, did we learn nothing? No offence to anyone, just my opinion. wink

1. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing actually wrong with fair hair and blue eyes either, though.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WELL!  Everyone knooows that blue-eyed, dark haired people are the best.  Blonds are over-rated (and oh so sought after in my family of brown-haired Danish people, lol)!

1. LondonGirl profile image81
          LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most of the people I love dearly are blue-eyed and fair-haired - my son, mother, sisters, and brother. My other half is dark-haired and dark-eyed, he's the exception that proves the rule in my case lol

It's slightly odd going to a large Israeli gathering of OH's many relatives - at the Orthodox wedding we went to last week, out of 300-odd people there, my mother, Isaac and I were the only fiar ones, we stuck out like a sore thumb!

15. Connie Smith profile image83
    Connie Smithposted 14 years ago

I will be honest and admit to using it in the past, (long ago!) though it was never really uttered in my own house growing up, that I can remember.  My family was mostly from the South and it was what (other) people said. As I am 50 years old, way back when I was a child and young adult, it was just something many people said and I was not as aware (and educated) as I am today just how hurtful and mean it was to say it.  Thankfully, the world has changed a bit since then.

Still, I am proud to say as an adult, I have always tried to treat people right and have had many friends over the years of other races and cultures. 

I am also proud that we have grown as a country (USA) and have become educated enough (as I have grown) to elect the first black president, Barack Obama.

Also, other relatives (of a large Southern family) and friends have grown as they have accepted, with loving arms, the first bi-racial (African-American and white)child into our side of the family, my very own much loved first grandson, Justin, who is now 4,as well as the newest member of our family, my 10 day old grandson, Jaiden, who is also bi-racial.

16. Koby profile image61
    Kobyposted 14 years ago

my hood friends say that its different depending on how you end the word.  If you end it with "er" it is apparently an insult, whereas ending in "a" instead of "er" it is a term you might use toward your friend.

I stay away from the word altogether but this is what i've been told.

17. countrywomen profile image60
    countrywomenposted 14 years ago

Isn't that word supposed to be NO NO. My husband watches MTV and in some videos the African Americans songs use it. And sometimes even address each other by the N word. Is it ok for two Africans Americans to use against each other?

18. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Yes but just joking around.!!

1. profile image0

How?

19. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I blush n get embaressed jus hearing it on t.v yikes hmm dum, yeah

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)