Picking up other people's stuff; why should I?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 10 years ago

At the grocery store, people have dropped items and then looked at me like I was suppose to pick them up. I don't.  They can pick up their own items. I wouldn't want someone touching my groceries, "Here is your cucumber". What if they hadn't washed their hands?

Or they expect you to put their stuff or other people's stuff away.

A man left his hand-held grocery basket at the till (on the silver part just infront of the moving belt that you put your groceries on) and I didn't touch it. The cashier looked at me like I was suppose to move it yet she said nothing to me or to the man who left it there. Then after taking the man's order, she very deliberately stepped out of her little cubby and around the back of her till and put the basket on the floor and then once back at her till, proceeded to throw my groceries into my bag, cans of stuff that made a loud clattering sound. I complained.

Why do people drop stuff and act like primadonna's who dropped their handkerchief? I don't expect people to pick up my stuff; in fact I don't want them to touch it.

1. amiebutchko profile image71
      amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You give it to them Sandcastles!  They are ridiculous and life has to teach them to clean up their own messes or they never will.  It isn't fair people get away with stuff like this because it just reinforces their behavior.  I am sorry that rude clerk threw your groceries around.  A little bit of kindness and customer service wouldn't be too much to ask for!

1. profile image0
        SandCastlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you amiebutchko. Thanks for your comments! smile

2. Say Yes To Life profile image81
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you could have picked it up, handed it to them, and said, "Here.  Hope you don't catch my beriberi!"  LOL!

1. profile image0

That's funny!  smile And then sneeze at them or cough in their face! smile I think it would be funny to have a fart-making machine that you could squeeze at them as you hand them the item, "Here you go, oops sorry about that". Thanks for your comments.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol

1. profile image0

smile

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think most men would have picked up the cucumber if a woman accidentally dropped it. One would assume people still rinse their fruits and vegetables before eating them! :-)

As for the hand cart I also believe most men would have moved it out of the way for the cashier instead of having her or him having to stop doing their job of ringing up the groceries. Actually it would be because they wanted to speed through their own transaction or not hold up the line.

There will always be people who were spoiled by their parents and never had to clean up after themselves or were never taught to be considerate of others. It's always optional NOT to pick up something or hold a door open for a person walking in behind you. I believe the vast majority of people don't let these things ruin their day and most (men) are accustomed to picking up dropped things (especially for women), moving stuff, and holding doors open....etc

1. profile image0

I hold doors open for people sometimes but I don't pick up stuff that others have dropped. You are right, some people do feel entitled and want others to pick up after them.

1. profile image0

P.S. Thanks for commenting dashingscorpio.

4. profile image0

P.S. Just because I wash my fruit and vegetables when I get home does not mean I want a lot of strangers at the store handling my groceries, especially people who go out of their way to handle them.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
        dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

SandCastles, You'd be surprised how much your fruit and vegetables have been handled by strangers even if you don't see it happening.

I bet most shoppers pick up and put back fruit they decide is not ripe enough or unappealing them as they look for their "ideal piece" of fruit or vegetable. You may unconsciously touch produce (yourself) when searching for the "right" fruit for your own table. :-)

1. profile image0

That's true but I don't want to see someone seeking me out to handle my fruit or vegetables. There are weirdo people out there. If somebody drops something that is edible, the person picks it up themselves.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I think that if helping the other person would be easy for you and relieves them of doing something considerably more difficult, it is just courtesy to do it. 

Like passing an item over the checkout counter to the poor person who has to work back there dealing with more inconsiderate behavior in a day than most people do in a month.

1. profile image0

It depends on the circumstances, that is true. But I don't think people should get stuck in courtesty mode like they are a servant or others will take advantage of you. If someone drops something and then pointedly looks at you and says, "Well aren't you going to pick it up?", and then you you do it, you are behaving like a slave.  Also it is common for con artists to drop something as a ruse to distract you; they play on a person's nice manners. So discernment is the key.  Thanks for your comments.

1. profile image0

Also I don't look at cashiers as those 'poor' people; that is an insult to them. What's wrong with a person being a cashier? To give someone a piting smile, "Here's the little basket, I bet I made your day didn't I"?", is a bit patronizing. And people have to learn to ask for what they want too. And sometimes a person decides not to pick up the basket because they are practicing their right to say no (physically, through action). That is important for people who have had problems setting boundaries. If a person finds they are always picking things up, always acting as servant, sometimes decide not to; own your right to not do it. Because how is not picking up someone's lettuce really hurting them? Or not putting away someone else's a hand-held grocery basket? And when I help people, I don't just look at what is easy for me.  At the grocery, I saw a dog who looked abandoned, sitting by the store entrance. It was a cold night. He came into the store using the sliding entrance and was whining. I left my groceries (that I'd payed for) in the street to help the dog. I took off my scarf and used it as a leash and went to customer service and had the manager page the owner. We waited for about 30 minutes and then I took the dog home with me, leaving the number with the store. And I reunited the dog with his owner. So it isn't about not helping or only helping when it is convenient or easy. But it is about using discernment.

1. profile image0

I'd rather help a dog than pick up somebody's lettuce. If I sound like I am patting myself on the back, I'm don't mean it. I was watching my groceries with one eye too. It was around Christmas and I'd just purchased a turkey. I'm not saying I'm this great superhero; I'm saying help when it is not convenient. Help those who really need it. And setting boundaries doesn't mean you are rude either. Just my opinions.

2. profile image0

P. S. Thanks for commenting psycheskinner.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)