One thing you wish you knew when you first joined HP.

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Many of us met HP by chance. Many of us came here looking for a way to earn and many of us came to express ourselves. For me it was a mixture of both.I wanted to make money with the thing I love to do the best...writing.

However, there are some things I wish I knew back then. What is the one thing or number of things you wish you knew as a newbie?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That it was in my contract to be banned at least once a month. smile

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL lol I had no idea. I wish I knew what a jungle the forums would be tongue

1. profile image0

You look nice today Cardisa. = off topic
          Are you feeling lonely? = bickering
          You are acting like a total ----. (Ok, I deserved that one.)

You look great today as well Beth, thanks for asking. i am feeling a bit bored big_smile tongue

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just wished that I'd discovered HubPages first. My discovering eHow first probably ended up costing me a fortune.

3. Genna East profile image83
      Genna Eastposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cardisa;

Good question.  I would have to say that I wish I had known about HP before I wandered in.  :-)

4. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wish I would have known I'd be writing here for almost two years or, hopefully more.  I would have used a better HubPages name.

1. Heather Says profile image95
        Heather Saysposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aw!  Okay so now I have to ask what your name means... smile

2. profile image0

lol

5. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How to write...still trying to pick that up...at least it isn't automatic anymore...now if I could just get the voices to line up...I could put my helmet back on and write something that...makes sense...for once...

2. erinshelby profile image70
    erinshelbyposted 10 years ago

I wish I had known that just being approved for Amazon and eBay isn't enough to benefit from those earnings programs, but that you actually have to insert those capsules yourself into your hubs!
    Believe it or not, I had written several hubs and was approved for both of these earnings programs and had NOT inserted Amazon or eBay capsules... I had assumed that it would magically happen on its own (You don't know what you don't know!)...

The other thing I would tell new folks about is the "groups" function. I would see other hubbers with the sharp-looking "next" and "previous" hub at the bottom and not know how it got there. Newbies, go to the top of your account and make sure you have your hubs sorted into groups so you can increase your traffic.

3. Theater girl profile image68
    Theater girlposted 10 years ago

Thanks! I did not know about this one! And I have been here almost two years!
    I wish I knew how to increase traffic and you just helped!

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I wish I'd known that joining the HP ads program right away would work out better for me than trying to go with Google AdSense alone for over a year. Duh.

5. Theater girl profile image68

I organized my page. Thanks again, and thanks for the follow!

6. quildon profile image73
    quildonposted 10 years ago

I wish I knew about the groups function too. I'll try that. Thanks for letting us know.

7. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

I wish I would have known that you would need to write at least 30 hubs before the writing came easier and you could relax properly into it and make some money. Instead of spending months playing around with 10 hubs, wondering why they didn't earn!!! Write more - this is essential.

8. rainsanmartin profile image86
    rainsanmartinposted 10 years ago

I wish I had started using the HubPages templates from day one.

9. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Good day everyone smile

I think my biggest regret is not writing informative articles sooner. It took me months to get the real writing going. At fist I posted cooking tips and I should have let those stay but I deleted them because nobody was reading them...had no idea of how traffic worked.

After that I posted poetry but didn't make much money of those.  I think it took me six to eight months to start writing the kind of articles that I now have on my account.

10. amiebutchko profile image70
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

As a newbie, I wish I knew how much of a commitment of time it was to interact on HP and how tied in my self esteem would get with my scores!  However, the things I've gained, such as this wonderful sense of community, people I really feel like are my new friends, a crazy load of information from exploring hubs, and a sense of accomplishment does outweigh this reality.  In fact, I am probably lucky I did not know what I didn't know....  it may have deterred me from being open to what I consider, a new interest in my life.

11. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I wish I had known about choosing a better user name as well.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here

12. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

I'd wish I known of Hubpages when it was at its peak and lots of people were making big money. But no complaints, I love Hub Pages.

13. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I wish I knew about the adsense process and that it takes time. I stressed over it ALOT thinking it was an instant thing. It made me neurotic. That was wasted energy for no reason except I didn't know. I feel so bad when I see newbies going through the same thing, posting the same questions about when and how. Is this some type of HP initiation? It's so unnecessary and very stressful.

The other thing I wish I had known about is the addictive/evaluative nature of being a member of HP. It's makes you feel hooked into staying and proving yourself worthy of being here. Before you know it a year has passed and you're still driven by measures of your worth based on your productivity. It's all so inscidious.

Okay. Rant over. Would I have joined if I knew all of this? I don't know. But I have certainly benefited from my time here and would not give any of it back. It's been a learning experience for sure. Thanks for asking, Cardisa.

14. Jeannie Randall profile image60
    Jeannie Randallposted 10 years ago

I am brand new to hubpages and really appreciate all these tips!  I discovered you cannot post work here that has been posted elsewhere.  I am a voracious writer and tried posting an article I had on my blog only to have it denied.  I LOVE the hub templates

Welcome to Hubpages. I hope these wishes will help you not to make the same mistakes we did smile

15. PoeticPhilosophy profile image79
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

I wish I was aware of how the forums can get heated, ^o).

16. LuisEGonzalez profile image83
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

I wish that I had studied SEO, techniques more before I  ventured in. However I can't help but loving  it!!!!!!!!!

17. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

I wish I'd know what a great group of people I was going to meet and how much encouragement was waiting for me if I'd just sit down and write.  It's been a nice surprise just about every day.

18. Theater girl profile image68

I know I answered this already, but Kathryn inspired me...if not for this little site and the advice of a friend....my writing would still be in a drawer. So thanks for all you supportive lovely people!

19. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I wish I'd known about SEO and the power of the Hubpages platform. I was over the moon the first time I saw one of my hubs on Google, even if it was on page 10 or something.
    The I began to learn about SEO and tweaked a few things and saw hubs shoot to page 1. I wish I'd known when I joined how easy it was to make money if you knew what you were doing. I'd just cottoned on a few months before the Big Crash. At least I got a decent Christmas out of it!

20. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

I wish I had known that before writing a hub you have to do keyword research for the best titles (phrases punters are likely to Google). I've had  to change old titles to make them more searchable with good results but URLs cannot be changed so for some of my older hubs, titles and URLs often don't match. Heyho...  Learn SEO before diving in I'd say.

21. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Cardisa....What a great question.  I'm relieved your question is limited to "what we wish we'd have known before.......we joined Hubpages!"   Lord help us all if you had asked this question in terms of: before we decided on a career....before getting married.....before having children.....before buying a home on a mountain.........I mean, really......imagine those responses.  They'd be far too much FUN.  May even get us all banned...FOREVER!
    I'm going to have to say that I wish I'd have known that HP would become an addiction.....that my life would never be the same again.....that my real life would be pretty much put on hold and my "real life" friends would take 2nd place to my hub buddies.....and my Grandchildren would keep asking, "Grandma, don't you love us anymore?"   My nice, neatly organized home & office would ultimately fall apart around me, as I laugh and step over all obstacles to get to my computer.
    I wish I'd have known that making a dollar a day makes me happy and all those years I busted my butt to actually make enough money to pay my bills, was wasted!.......
    Yeah.....I wish I'd have known a lot of things, but I didn't and it's too late now.  I've tried to stop....just walk away.....put HP behind me and forget I was ever involved. 
    Alas, I am weak....a coward.....just a sniveling, spineless writer/reader, infatuated with hundreds of strangers from all over the world, whose words make me laugh, cry, wonder, learn and want for more. 
    To think I made it for 60+ years just fine.......but now have been hijacked and hooked, never to be free of HP. 
    Oh how I wish I'd have known............................................

Oh jeez, you've been spying on me! tongue

22. peoplepower73 profile image88
    peoplepower73posted 10 years ago

How much work it would be to earn $50.00 per year for two years.  Although I enjoyed writing the 49 hubs, I thought they would glean more Yankee Dollars! Maybe if I wrote one more to make it 50, the money would start pouring in...I doubt it!

23. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I wish I'd known about Panda and the exact effect it had on this site. I wish I'd known about SEO.

What I never expected was to learn this would be a community of people I now consider friends. What a nice surprise!

24. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I wish I had known about Hubpages before I did. Learning keyword research would have helped too in the first year or so. I've deleted about 40 hubs that just didn't get traffic, because I wrote about subjects that just didn't make it.

25. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 10 years ago

When I started with Hubpages, I would post in the forums and was surprised when I got personally attacked for my believes. I would become emotional and did not react very well. The forums upset me and I learned to steer clear of them, especially those whose intention was to provoke and stir up trouble. Some people!!

1. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like how a lot of us feel....but it's a good lesson to learn.   However, most people don't have to join in the HP forums to get "attacked" for their beliefs.   That happens everywhere there is a diverse group of individuals with huge differences of opinion.

Some are able to discuss maturely and with respect....others, not so much.   It's a chance one takes for offering an opinion.  Taking it personally is senseless.  Do not take attacks personally......you don't know these jerks and they don't know you.  Turn it around on them.  Rather than allow them to upset you......ignore them, laugh at them and realize you are a better human being than they are.  And know this:  There are actually "trolls" who have joined here, for the sole purpose of annoying, insulting and causing chaos.  Can you even imagine the pitiful, pathetic life these idiots have?   They're bottom feeders.  Have no use for them.     Peace, Paula

26. Mary McShane profile image80
    Mary McShaneposted 10 years ago

I wish I knew was how long it took to get to $50, or about how long. I read about some people who are here 3 years or more and haven't met the $50 payout yet. So that was discouraging.

I wish I had joined HP sooner and maybe I'd be on my 5th payout by now. lol

I wish I had been here when the contests were at their height, it must have been great here for those. I would have liked to try submitting to them.

I wish I had known that the Amazon hub tool was not as profitable on HP as it is on my blogs.  I put so much belief into it being as profitable on hubs as it is on blogs. I haven't made a dime on hubs with Amazon, but am doing ok on blogs.

I wish I was here when the tags were being used on hubs, I got here after that function was taken away. I learned about it in a forum. I use tags on my blogs and find it very useful to bring traffic.  It is sometimes hard to work keywords into post headings and titles without being accused of keyword stuffing. If the tags were still there, I think it might be easier, but I don't know. I don't have a problem with doing keyword searches, I do it already for my blogs, but trying to word a title to 'grab' and still get a keyword in there is sometimes difficult.
    Good question!

27. naturopharmacy profile image42
    naturopharmacyposted 10 years ago

I'm a newbie too... For me, hubpages is a place for sharing useful information while earning money as our "salary". CMIIW :-)

28. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

How to write on Hp ! How to post,, how to comment,  and how to be silent ! But I did learn all people will never agree, and a few will. And that is ok, because I feel the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)