Is masturbation (the topic, not the act!) allowed with Google Adsense?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Angela Harris profile image67
    Angela Harrisposted 16 years ago

In regards to the Hublove contest as well- Can I write about masturbation or is that outside the guidelines for the Hubs? And would that be against the TOS? Family oriented or whatever the exact phrase used is so subjective.

Sorry if this makes no sense. I'm sleepy. I actually came to the forum to ask this question and then forgot why I was here.

P.S. Bet you guys can guess what I'm thinking about tackling with the religion topic. Scandalous!   yikes

1. Hope Alexander profile image68
      Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Google Adsense TOS forbid speaking of anything explicitly sexual. If you use clever euphemisms and sound suitably puritanical and anti sex, you may get away with it.

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I like how we can't do anything sexual, but they can plaster our hubs with ads for wet t-shirt contests and "hot pics". Freakin' hypocrites.

1. Hope Alexander profile image68
          Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have been trying to get Google to clarify its insane "adult/mature" policy for a while now, but all I get is "use your best discretion", and "content must be suitable for all viewing audiences".

I pointed out to the Google rep that I think there are MANY topics not suitable for ALL audiences. I don't think kids need to see ads for sexy lingerie, I don't think they need to be bombarded with hot pics, I don't think they need to know about dating, (and a bunch more stuff) and I wouldn't recommend that parents let their children read anything I write, ever.

Yet, Google places ads on 'Hot Breasts', and won't come out and say that is against TOS. When I pointed that out to the Google rep I got back a formulaic "Thanks for your concern, we have forwarded this to out special super duper review team"  (Which I imagine really means the office cat's litter box.)

Personally I think this is ass covering, pure and simple, and perhaps also a way to be able to pull the plug on sites if and when they feel the need by being able to invoke the "mature" content clause.

Oh, and don't bother trying to get specific answers on specific topics out of them, they refuse to answer them. Like I said, ass covering.

2. makemoneyonline profile image39
      makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think you can write about masturbation as long as it stays "politically" correct that is from psychological or medical point of view not sexual point of view smile

2. Angela Harris profile image67

Wow, this is disappointing. I was really wanting to write this, but I don't have the time to try to be clever about it. Plus, I don't want to do anything that has the potential to be against Google's TOS.

Thanks for the information. I really wasn't sure about this gray area. Oh well.

Kerryg, I soooo agree with you.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You can disable google ads on any hub you want. If you don't mind passing up the potential to make any money. then you can write about whatever you wish.

1. jim.sheng profile image67
        jim.shengposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can disable google ads. Your ads can be heavy, light, or none. But I don't think you can write "whatever you wish". Sexial contents are still not allowed by hubpages.

3. Angela Harris profile image67

Uninvited Writer, I don't know why I didn't think of that. When I have more time, I think I may write it anyway without the Hubs.

Hope Alexander, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's all about profits vs. liability and the delicate balance between the two. It sucks though.

4. funnebone profile image71
    funneboneposted 16 years ago

Well I havent made enough on adsense to make me want to masterbate over it but do what you want

5. Angela Harris profile image67

LOL, funnebone. After rereading my title, I was wondering when there would be a comment like that. In my defense, it was 2 or 3 in the morning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)