Confusing Passages of Scripture

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (224 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Many passages in the New Testament of the Bible are confusing! Not all are cut and dry. Some are very mysterious! Everything in Revelations is a question mark, if you ask me.
    Questions and answers... Welcome!

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Seems the Bible is rather useless if it's contained with nothing but confusing verses. What good is it, then other than to start fights?

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What good is it?   It hints at a purpose for being here while here, how to get out of here, and a hint toward what is beyond here.  Any clue is exiting to me.

Sorry, but I wouldn't build an entire worldview based on hints, I much rather prefer evidence and facts, like the ones that explain our universe and how it works.

1. Prodio profile image60
            Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ehm, is anyone forcing you to accept anything religious?
            As a side note, 'sometimes 'hints' may prove to be more valuable that facts and evidence and etc.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2602470

Yes, as a matter of fact, they are forcing me. These forums are filled with those discussions, the same ones we some day would hope you would join, but to little avail.

Like others have stated, I don't click those links, either.

Good that you noticed that I'm not one who forces anyone. But who exactly forced you?

Sorry, are you looking for names, dates, places? How is that going to help the discussion?

OK, I get it. Did you - yourself - ever force atheism on anyone on these forums?

2. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In that regard, just about anything a man may say can be said to be confusing,especially as a written statement. One person may say it means one thing while another understands it differently depending upon their personal past experiences.
            Not to mention that Yea BUT aspect.
            There are two sides to every argument.
            What may be true one day week or year may not apply a decade later.
             When we read two statements which seem to be contradictory, We need to reinspect our interpretations of both and see if one or both of our interpretations might be incorrect.
             I might tell one son he needs to spend more time looking for a job and less time taking his family fishing, playing etc.  The other son needs to spend more time with his family and less time at work.
             Never cross the street alone
             Look both ways before crossing the street.
             Stand in the middle of the street all day.
          A two year old should NEVER cross the street alone.
          A 12 year old can but be careful, look both ways before doing so.                                                       And that 26 year old should stand in the middle of the street all day if that is what it takes to feed his family.
             Confusion and contradiction is easy to find when that is what we are looking for.

Well, the original title of this post was going to be: What Did Jesus Mean? I believe he was speaking to every person about the nature of reality and how each of us can tap into it. We have to admit the passages are confusing. We need to analyze them carefully in an objective manner, rather than subjective. We need to take into account the moreys of the time, and the fact that there were difficulties in translating his words from other languages.

1. Jerami profile image58

And what is written in scripture as for what he did teach is but the tip of the iceberg. That is what I found confusing.  Scripture says if everything he did and taught were written in books, the earth isn't big enough to hold them all (or something like that) yet there really isn't that much written concerning his teaching to his disciples. Maybe Jesus told them we didn't need to know everything?
                  Sometimes when we know too much about a thing, it takes all the fun out of it.
                  I don't think it was intended for anyone to understand everything.

Yes, the other force, satanic delusion, does not want us to know the truth. However, Jesus said, "Knock on the door and it shall be answered."  (Whoever has questions about Reality will be answered.)  The things he spoke of could not be understood by all. Thats why he would often add,
              "He that hath ears to hear... 
              (- the spiritual readiness to accept certain knowledge.)

TWISI

2. profile image56
              Michael Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No confusing here at all . John  the gospel writer  has concluded his book  giving the readers complete understanding of WHO this Jesus Christ from the Nazareth IS .
              You are referring to John 21:25, " there are also many other things which Jesus did..." I will finish the verse later, after leading you into the introduction of the John'a gospel , chapter -1, " in the beginning (before all time ) was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.
              He was  present originally with God.
              All things were made  and came into existence through Him; and without  Him  was not even one thing made that has come into being..."
              Now the conclusion of the verse you think as confusing , ... (. Any others  things which Jesus did )--IF THEY WERE WRITTEN DOWN ONE BY ONE, I think [John] that NOT EVEN  THE WORLD ITSELF WOULD HOLD THE BOOKS THAT WOULD BE WRITTEN."

Does anyone in the history of mankind gets the idea what JESUS  as the Eternal Word has put into being. How many books are written only concerning " evolution" constantly changing, constantly guessing and what about all universe, known and unknown galaxies ...?!

With the help of the Holy Spirit and mixed with faith any child of God won't have difficulty to understand this portion of the Scriptures or perhaps any other.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Much like your post, of which I can make no sense. Sorry, but I simply cannot see the connection between what you say here:

What may be true one day week or year may not apply a decade later.
               When we read two statements which seem to be contradictory, We need to reinspect our interpretations of both and see if one or both of our interpretations might be incorrect.

... and the examples you offered? How is teaching a child to cross the street a contradiction? How can that be misinterpreted? I don't get it.

Perhaps it simply means that people become wiser with time.

You mean, for example, how scientists are learning more and more about the universe and how it works, and how the facts and evidence don't support the myths and superstitions of Scriptures, but instead are explaining reality for us?

Getting wiser might have many facets. One such facet might be the realization that scientists are human beings who are born at someone's will and that they die - at something's will. And that they are more helpless because they have lost their 'senses'.

2. Jerami profile image58

i am sorry you don't get it.
            When I was two years old I was told to NOT cross the street by my self because it was dangerous.
            When I was 10, I was told it was OK to cross the street to go to the little grocery store (all by myself) to buy a loaf of bread. These are two contradictory statements made by my parents.  Both of them were true statements.
                Many seemingly contradictory statements found in scripture should be inspected in the same way.
                I have two boys that when they were young, who have two different personalities.
            One didn't like school, didn't study. but he wanted to help me with any kind of manual labor which I was involved.
                 Another who focused on his academics, played on the high school football team, went to collage and got his degrees in Medicine.  Though he worked out at the at the gymnasium a lot, he didn't like manual labor very much.   
                 My advice to these two different people often seemed to be contradicting in nature.
                 Many seemingly contradictions in scripture can be explained from this prospective.
                 And some of them are caused by having a wrong interpretation of one or the other OR both.

But, there's no real contradiction, the street and the traffic have not changed, they are still the same and are just as dangerous for a two year old as they are for a ninety-two year old, people get hit by cars at all ages, and they have been taught the very same things. The first statement is not true, because it is OK to cross a street even though it is dangerous. And, if a two year old could understand the difference between a Walk and Don't Walk signal, they too could safely cross the street, it would be OK.

Sure, and we can find contradictions in scriptures that are not the same as your example at all, they remain direct and distinct contradictions with no valid explanations.

No, they are not contradictory in nature, a contradiction is, a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another. There is nothing you want for one of your sons that you oppose of the other, you want all of those things; manual labor, academics, helping you, playing sports, going to college and the gymnasium... in other words, you simply want what's best for them and what will make them happy. You are not opposing something for one and not the other.

But, as you can see, it's not that difficult to deconstruct an example to see if there really is a contradiction or not.

3. Michael-Milec profile image61
            Michael-Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Too bad if " you can make no sense"- as you said. Do you have the Holy Spirit which the heavenly Father gives freely to his children ? My last paragraph above is telling you:" With the help of the Holy Spirit and mixed with faith any child of God won't have difficulty to understand this portion of the Scriptures or perhaps any other." ( I knew that this would be coming .)

What is the Holy Spirit, exactly? Where does it reside in people?  Are there symptoms, is it like having a disease or virus? You'll need to explain what that is in order for anyone to know if they have it.

Are you saying those who understand Scriptures are special?

As it stands, no one has ever been able to explain this alleged "Holy Spirit" they claim to possess, so it appears nothing more than a lame excuse for them not having to explain themselves in any way.

1. Michael-Milec profile image61

Holy Spirit is God's gift to His children ( Luke 11;13); Divine presence in a believer… God is the eternal, life giving, Spirit - The LIFE originator and sustainer ALL universe, omnipresent, to mankind  revealed in the body of Jesus  from Nazareth… HE resides in the spirit of man  immediately after a  person accept the LIVING WORD, (John 1:12.13) and become s born of God…
                When we use the word ' spirit ' we know  the we are dealing with invisible which isn't  in the terms of substance - beyond eyesight , beyond natural visibility.
                For any human to "explain" is simply to direct those asking the Scriptures in which there are hundred of references to gain explanations. Pointing to one of the references we are told " for in Him we live and move and have our being…" To me wouldn't be possible to explain "life" which most of the  people know that the  life is…
                Your  question if  "those who understand Scripture are special?"-  have affirmative answer   in a sense , that by  choosing to be follower of Christ Jesus, a believer/ the child of the Heavenly Father as a token for His love WE DO LOVE Him, and as we  love him  we do obey HIM and for such Jesus has  promised " I will ask the Father and  he will give you another Helper ( another me) to be with you forever, the Spirit of truth, whom true world can not receive  because it neither sees him nor know him. You know him because he remains with you and is in you." (John 14:15-  ( No lame excuse here, thank you very much) . Consequently , "we " do not have need, neither we would like to explain ourselves. It is always between you and your god what you would do as it is  between me and my God , my choice.

Ah yes, in other words, the "non-existent".

Yes, I got the non-existent conclusion from Scriptures, as well.

Ah, so you don't need to explain yourselves, that's ever so convenient, isn't it? roll

1. profile image56
                    Michael Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Explaining myself  would be irrelevant in any case. Even any of billion upon billion individuals would not contribute or diminish the eternal, existing truth of the Creator's love, grace and Dominion. Some of us are willing and bold enough to use and  developed the gift of faith instead to neglect it and rob ourselves of joy of the living in His presence, favor  security for long time.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

What's not to understand?

You are right!  What was I thinking?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.

13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:

14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

This seems clear enough, doesn't it?

But, when you look carefully, Jesus is really saying, invite people to dinner with no expectation of compensation from them, but rather from God.
      This is very interesting to me. We always think about compensation… it is human nature.
      It seems Jesus teaches how to get beyond human nature!

1. Sed-me profile image78
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, it looks like you were already there.

2. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, it very clear. Don't invite people over to dinner that will feel obligated to invite you over, instead invite the poor and homeless over as they can't compensate you so the lord will.

Any of you Christians inviting the poor and homeless over to dinner?

1. Cat333 profile image61
          Cat333posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm especially fond of poor and homeless people. Where I went to college they had a homeless shelter nearby (eventually moved it because they didn't think it safe for the students), so we had a lot of homeless people wandering around with us. I enjoyed them. I used to go swing with a homeless man in the park (still enjoy swinging these days), but it bothered people. Had the police telling me I shouldn't be around homeless people because it wasn't safe. Yet God has always protected me.

I am assuming you mean swing dancing or do you mean swing on a swing set?
            You have to be careful what you say around here. wink

I mean swing on a swing set. It's actually fun and good exercise for your stomach muscles (especially if you do it for half an hour or so)! I used to go swing in the park there, and this homeless man would come join me - the nicest man who would laugh and say how much fun swinging was, which he hadn't done since childhood. But it made the police uncomfortable.

I'm sure it did. It's nice to know they were watching out for you. It sounds like a good experience.

Yes, it was!

3. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"....but rather from God....."

Could this mean that within your self, you know you will have done the right thing.  This, ideally, will not go to the extent of being proud, self-congratulatory, but just that warm feeling of having been kind to others less fortunate than yourself.   For me, there would be no exterior god looking down on me to confirm that I had "obeyed him."

This is just another point of view, probably not in line with the understanding of most people.

2. Sed-me profile image78

That verse is from Luke. God was saying don't invite rich folks and neighbors over to bless them with a feast, b/c they will be sure to return the favor. What have you given... what sacrifice have you made in the name of love, when you know they will give the gift right back?
      He's saying, instead, invite the poor, the ill, the disabled... invite those who have nothing to offer in return. This is kind, it is loving and this pleases Him.

I agree.  How about the one following:

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

This is very confusing: "The light of the body is the eye. Therefore when thine eye is single thy whole body also is full of light. But when thine eye is evil, thy body is also full of darkness. Take heed, therefore, that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light."

My Translation:
    The light of the body comes from your soul. When you focus your attention on the soul, (which is energy) your whole body will have energy. But when your attention is pulled away from the soul, your body will not have energy. Therefore focus on the source of your energy to have energy flowing throughout your body. When you do this, your source of energy is not shut down and you will be of vibrant robust health and energy.
    I think He is instructing us on how to be healthy through the right use of willpower.

Any other guesses are welcome!

I believe this is talking about how the eye estimates what it sees. It's like a translator, if you will. You have to estimate not only what you are seeing, as in good and evil, truth and lies, you have to receive in you what is good. You have to receive the light, and understand it for your body to receive the light. If your eye only lets in partial truth, partial light... or none at all, your soul will be withered. If you allow the full light, the full truth, your soul will flourish.

I agree, the eye is that part of you which perceives.

A single minded focus upon what is good will bring in light. But what is "light' and how does the soul benefit?
        ...oh, so truth = light?
        The soul benefits from knowing the truth, I would agree,
        Q. - what is " truth?"

Truth has the most simple definition. It is the lack of falsehood and the presence of that which is absolute. Opinions do not enter in. Theories do not enter in. It is absolute. I believe that God is absolute truth, as he is absolute love. Though I have no doubt, my faith cannot change what is true. All truth will be revealed.

How will all truth be revealed?

1 Corinthians 13:12
              For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Luke 8:17
              For nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light.

This is not clear to me. Is it to you, Beth?

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

The first one is referring to how things appear if you looked thru a clouded or distorted glass. What we understand of God, while we are here on earth is an incomplete picture, but He promises that when we meet Him in eternity, that we will see Him and understand as easily as He sees and understands our hearts now.

"For nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light."

The second is actually talking about dark things and sins that men try to keep hidden... It is a warning that *all* things will be revealed.

How do we make it to eternity?
                    How are "the sins kept secret" revealed?
                    Confusing isn't it?

2. Cat333 profile image61

Yes!!

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

First of all, an off topic comment. I really like your new profile picture, looks great.

Secondly, the definition of "truth" is: that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality... a fact or belief that is accepted as true.  It seems as though your definition aligns with a ...belief that is accepted as true. but certainly doesn't appear to align with fact or reality.

Theories do indeed align with reality considering that theories are a collection of facts that explain how reality works. On such theory, "Relativity" teaches us that how most things work in the universe are relative to each other and not necessarily absolute.

And, science is revealing that truth. smile

What is reality?

1) Thank you.

2) Your theory remains unproven or there would be no religion.

Sure, there is religion, because there is still ignorance and indoctrination.

If by theory, you mean Relativity, yes, it has indeed been verified to very accurate measurements.

Show us.

Show you what?

I am not an ignorant person, but I forgive you for calling me that and I'll just go ahead and throw forgiveness in there for all the other people of faith, assuming that they are living out their faith. smile

I was basically talking about evolution. I'm sure we would agree that quite a bit of science is fact. It is that theory in particular that is not proven... although there are those of course who believe God might have used the theory of evolution to bring the world into existence... either way, it is theory none the less.

Excuse me? Where did I call you ignorant? Show me? I don't need forgiveness where none is required, thank you very much.

To my understanding, that is a topic you are not well informed, correct?

Yes, hence the nature of science, it deals with facts.

Since you're making that claim, could you please show how it is not proven? What are your refutations?

Evolution doesn't need god in order for it to work, quite the contrary, in fact. To state that a god used the theory of evolution is as valid as saying Bozo the Clown used the theory of evolution.

3. Cat333 profile image61

Amen, Sed-me!

2. Michael-Milec profile image61

There is only one answer to this question, The TRUTH id Christ Jesus- the God himself. In His words " I AM the Way and the Truth and the Life. This statement can't be  taken out of context and scrutinized focusing on single word. ( In that case the plain everyday answer to Q.- what is  "truth" would be truth is opposite to falsehood, error or insincerity.) Is "truth" being regarded seriously in everyday life/ conversations / actions ? just asking.
          On serious note we go back to the Christ- the Anointed of God- who speaks only what God is speaking by Him.
          In following dispute He speaks to a group of characters " You are from your father, the devil, and you want to carry out the desires which comes from your father. He was a murderer from the beginning. He is not grounded  on the truth, because there is not truth in him. When he utters falsehood he speaks out of  his  nature, because he is a liar  and the father of falsehood..."
          Back to another scene - again in another  conversation where   one of the disciples asked the Master," Lord, we don't know where  you are going, so how can we know the way ?"  In one breath Christ - Anointed One of God isn't  answering only a single-eyed where  is He going or how to know the way b e c a u s e  the answer to this question is the God himself ; I AM the WAY and the TRUTH and the LIFE. Here you have it, the compound answer  to the above Q.- God is the TRUTH, - or - to get a complete picture, comprising the sum of the doctrine concerning Christ Jesus; - for the question (of the disciple ) concerning the WAY , He answers this :" I AM the WAY." Concerning  knowledge-,    h o w      c a n     w e  know, He answers this " I AM the TRUTH; to the  question where ?--He makes  that answer I AM the LIFE….
          What  is then actual answer what is -"truth?" Christ is the TRUTH because He is the self-revelation of God-  the Father- - and to get the complete answer to the question of the disciple and a question  of t r u t h, - here is end of the sentence… and the live, no one comes to the Father except through me if you really know me you would know my Father…

- makes sense, Michael.  But how can we know Jesus? Just by reading about him?

Precisely : we read, we believe, trust , obey and act. Once our formerly dead spirit man-to-the Creator-God -the Father is  come to life  via faith by receiving HIM-THE LIVING WORD (John 1:12.13.) we  ARE born from God. And you know it, you talk to Him He talks to you, you hate all kind of sin and stop doing everything what dead in trespass sinful nature used to do, you have the  same authority as originally given to Adam , as Ps. 8:6 " You made him to have dominion over the works of your (God's) hands, you -God - have put all things under  his feet. It is our privilege to see these things happening when exercised in authority of theNameofChrist. It is fun, it is powerful it is  glorious! HalleluYAH.

Well said, Michael-Milec!

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

"workers of iniquity"
    Inequity refers to (1) injustice or unfairness, or (2) an instance of injustice or unfairness. It’s an antonym of equity, which denotes justice, fairness, or balance. Iniquity is closely related—both words ultimately derive from the Latin aequus, meaning equal—but it refers to extreme injustices, gross immorality, or acts regarded as sinful. An inequity might be a minor injustice or a small instance of unfairness, while iniquities are by definition very large or especially heinous.

Iniquity appears often in the phrase den of iniquity, referring to a place where immoral or wicked things happen.  Jesus often uses the word.  "just."

Virtue has always been related to justice. Justice dealing with what is owed. What do we owe and to who?

Romans 14:7-8English Standard Version (ESV)
      7 For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's.

Looks like we owe justice to God.
      Justice is giving to God what we owe him.
      Ourselves.
      Fine.
      How do we give Him ourselves?

If we read the bible and belive in Jesus and talk to him in prayer, where will that get us when we are at the end of our lives? what happens to those who never read the bible or pray to Jesus?

Kathryn, if I send you an invitation to my birthday party and you not only refuse to come, but you deny that I even exist... then I have to assume you will not be in attendance.

How can I come if I do not know how to get to your house? You have given up.  Don't give up. Be honest if you have given up and are stumped by these questions. If you know the answers, what are they… use scripture, preferably! (I mean, when you have time and interest. We have all lifetime.
            Or do we?)

Hmmm... did I really lose you there? I was using an imaginary invitation I might send as a way to compare the invitation God has given the whole world.

Mt 22
              1Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2“The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

4“Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’

5“But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

8“Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11“But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

13“Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14“For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

Here is a confusing one:  "And that knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep, for now is our Salvation nearer than when we believed." Romans 13/ 11.

This passage makes it seem like Salvation is sooner than after we die in Eternity.
    What is Eternity?
    Some people look forward to just going to sleep after death or poof... lights out!

Is Eternity a state of wakefulness?

The Bible is talking about how complacent we have grown in these last days b/c we get comfortable in our earthly shoes and start thinking Heaven is always in the future. We forget that at any moment... even this very moment... Christ could return. He is telling us to wake up from our complacency and get to work for the kingdom. Bless the poor, mend the sick, visit those in prison, attend to the widow, adopt the orphan... become His hands and feet and love the world as He loves it. He loves the sinner, He loves the lost. He loved us all during our lowest moments and He is constantly reaching out to each of us in order that we might know... in order that we might be saved.

Edit, yes, eternity is a state of wakefulness... the Bible is full of verses that speak of the life that is to come. We will not be used as human batteries while dreaming we are involved in actual life. wink

So doing good works, reading the Bible and praying, not doing willfully bad things or doing bad things out of ignorance… these actions will bring Jesus now? I am not doubting. I'm just wanting to know how it will take place? and what will take place?
        What are you waiting for? Or can we only know when it happens and we must have faith/patience.
        What inspires us to have faith/patience?
        I am not saying I am giving up. I am looking for motivation. What drives YOU to keep on keeping on, Beth? is reading the bible enough. I can accept that answer, if it is. (I can accept any answer!)

Begin yourself and journal about it. Have faith, do not test God. Just reach out with an open and humble heart and make sure you don't just do one or the other... read your bible *and pray. Ask God to lead you with His spirit and let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them according to God's word.

You (finally) mention Spirit… how is that Spirit heard, or felt, or contacted… Don't you see this isolates the difficulty for all of us?
            We must ask God to lead us with his Spirit… This is the answer which leads to another important question for which I hope there is an answer:
            Q. If I (reach out with a humble heart and) ask God to lead me with his Spirit, how does he communicate, and how do I hear him?

Romans 8:4-6King James Version (KJV)
              4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

The spirit is part of God. Just as you and I are mind, body and spirit, so is God. God is like the mind. Jesus is like the body... he is the embodiment of God, yet the fullness of God dwells in Him (col 1:19). And the can be described as yours and my spirit might be. We might be brain dead, kept alive by machines... our hearts kept pumping by an outside pump, but why then are we not dead? Because that body is still housing our spirit. The thing that is who we are... our essence. Our emotions and zest and need to love and be loved... it's all in there. So God's spirit is similar. It goes where He sends it. When ppl need encouragement, when they need inspiration... He sends His spirit.

I believe you will know you are hearing from God when the impressions made on your heart, match what you're reading in the word. When you all of a sudden realize you are loved, just as you are. When you feel the need to minister to someone who is hurting and you can't do another thing until you have obeyed this "feeling"... when your body wants to go one way, but your spirit tells you that you would be in sin... this is the spirit of God. That's why it's so important to not just pray or read the Bible, but to do both. They should go hand in hand as God will lead you and you can be sure it's God and not your own voice... not the enemy's voice, b/c what you are hearing matches with scripture.

3. Michael-Milec profile image61

This is it ! to your Q.- "If I reach out…" - you are not asking me, however  here is the answer for everybody: Call upon the Name of Jesus, track to Him, He is there nearer you then you can  realize, because He is omnipresent SPIRIT, your words are spirit, and on top of all that  he knows and he sees the intentions of the "heart"; MY entering into the family of God was Looooong time ago as a young boy in my dream I've met Jesus with his own and not being among them I woke up and in tearers full eyes I talked to him, confessing my wrongdoings, my failure, my  selfish life without him ,- asking him to trace over my will and decisions and to lead me on the path of righteousness. The change came instantly, He  came into my life filling me with His Spirit- called "The Holy Spirit"- The Gog  became my Father, the Heavenly Father and on since that time he is  with me walking on the narrow road , living in the body the life eternal according to His will…
              If I would be unrepentant sinner, I would just start talking to Him: Jesus… and whatever you have to say, say it sincerely, and as soon a person gives up on the devil, and his lordship , Jesus takes over-- the rest is beginning of the eternity living to the glory of God….

That's a beautiful story. I'm glad you shared it. smile

Thank You, God is good- all the times.
                  Please, accept my apology for typo , " track" - to Him , should be TALK to Him. Thanks to every reader.

On that note, you might want to edit "Gog" as well... I am hoping you meant "God." smile

Awesome!

Nothing we do will bring Christ. There is an appointed time, chosen by God and nothing we do will change that. We simply wait patiently for our Savior to come.

What keeps me waiting for him Katheryn? Because life without him has no future. For a short time in my life, I turned my back on him to numb up to the pain I was in. Life without him was not worth the fight, in my opinion. And I missed him! I missed his goodness... I missed his righteousness and the warmth of being enveloped by his presence. And to be honest... I didn't even try to run away... I just tried to hide... I knew he could see me, but like a child that pretends they can't hear their parents calling... I just hid under my pretend cloak of invisibility. But you can't forget God. You can't forget His ways. Nothing compares. It's like going from a clean and loving home to living in squalor. There is no comparison... and if you drink enough tequila, the sewer isn't so bad, but you can only live like that for so long. We all have ways to numb up, but once you let him in... once he shows you his ways... nothing compares. Not. One.
          Thing.

This brings me closer to your house. smile

I should do the dishes. wink
              Katheryn... I am going on a walk with my husband, bbs. Be blessed. smile

Thank You. smile

2. Michael-Milec profile image61

If anything is 'confusing' it is mixing the passages of The Scripture by jumping from Jesus to Paul , from Nazareth to Rome, from Christ strong teaching and acting on the KINGDOM of God  verses Paul's addressing to particular groups at the particular time and situation. Rom.13:11 is preceded by exhortation to "the law of love towards neighbors." Those were first converts without written Scripture, no books, TV or radio confusing preachers, THEY STARTED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT and when turned to rely on their own understanding, the apostle was writing them certain " road maps " to get there. He has told them that " Salvation " - final deliverance is every hour nearer then it was when we were firs brought into the family of God.
      Eternity : Orig. Heb  ' olam'- time out of mind; without end; it appears in Engl. translation, ' forever,' everlasting, evermore , perpetual, always, long, eternal, lasting … It means time without defined limits.
      Eternity, Greek 'aionbions' transsl. everlasting , eternal in connection  with the existence of God, heaven, hell, life, the life of the righteous,, the kingdom and some  other things  that are clearly eternal.

I appreciate the help, Beth and Michael. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, wisdom, insights and enthusiasm!

Thanks for giving us the opportunity. smile

It was the least I could do, considering the subject matter of that OTHER thread "Religion IS detrimental to the entire society"
            Obviously NOT… LOL
            The goodness (of Religion) has always outweighed the badness.
            oops...

Which one are you referring to?

7. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

The original Bible (first 5 books, or Pentateuch [Torah]) was written in code by Kabbalists. Only recently has their code been released to the general public after thousands of years of secrecy. You might start with this short film:

http://perceivingreality.com/

Revelations has long been an enigma for many. It too has a great deal of symbolism and metaphor. If you know what the Kabbalists used as symbols, the meaning might become clearer for you.

But some things may be easier to decipher. It seems clear that the rebirth of Israel is critical to the events in Revelations. Could this be referring to the rebirth of the physical nation of Israel in 1947? Or could it be the rebirth of the "path straight to God" (Israel) in 1995 -- when the lessons of Kabbalah were made public again?

It seems to me that the key to understanding the prophetic meaning the prophetic visions as descrobed in the book of Revelation is to go back in time 663 years to when Daniel received many visions of which Jesus referred to. 
          All of the prophetic visions are interpreted for us by Gods messenger angel Gabriel.
      Why does everyone think they can dream up a more appropriate interpretation of these visions than the one Gabriel gave. Why does it have to be interpreted AGAIN?   
           In 538 BC God is said to have given Daniel these visions that were to come to pass from that point in time forward?
           In 538 BC God showed Daniel that when 62 weeks passes, they are going to kill the messiah!
           And if Jesus is the Messiah he was talking about (?)  568 years later "They Killed the Messiah!"
           Wouldn't that mean that 568 years to us is the same as 62 weeks in prophesy???
            When we use this equation every time a period is stipulated in prophesy as stated in the book of Daniel and the book of Revelation  .................  WELL ....... All I can say is to follow this train of thought; ..........    Brings Ya to a completely different prospective when reading the same scriptures through out the New Testament and Old that we have been reading our whole lives .....   But you will see everything differently   .......   More of a basic basic thing.
           That is if ya believe what the bible says?

You mean things are not (at all) consistent or even accurate in the least in the OT? That's why I thought it best to stick to the NT.

Now this is a coincidence!   Hadn't been on since i posted that. till  2 minutes after your post. Guess I'm supposed to answer it. ?
              Straight to the point.
              Matt. 23  ......    Jesus looks the Pharisee and scribes and tells them ,   possibly point to the individuals each statement is maid.  "You are going to kill my disciples, and wise men, etc etc.
               Then ... a couple minutes later, .....
          Four of the disciples ask Jesus, "when is all that stuff you were talking about going to happen"
                Jesus answered, " ( possibly pointing to one of his disciples) They are going to kill YOU!, and (pointing to another) they are going to beat you in front of the synagogue,  But when you see the abomination standing in the the holy place as spoken of by the prophet,,,  Daniel.
          know that the beginning of sorrows has begun.
                 Jesus speaks of his second coming, and then ( a few minutes after he had begone) he said, "This generation shall not pass till ALL of these things come to pass,    cain't tell ya what month day and hour it is going to happen, but this generation shall not pass till ALL these things be fulfilled.

The night before he died; Jesus, while looking one of the high priest eyeball to eyeball; "YOU are going to see the son of man coming in the clouds, .....
                 I believe the words Jesus is said to have spoken to be true.
                  A generation is said to have been approx 70 years.   Approx 73 years after Jesus died, Jesus came again and also appeared to John also, and he alone (it would seem) wrote about any experience they might have had.  And if this is when the rapture happened; there would not have been any one else to write about it. Every body having anything to say would have been taken away.
          At this same time, The Emperor Hadrian, would have been in the process of deporting every Jew found in Israel and Judea to be sold into slavery through out the rest of the Roman Empire.
             144,000 people dissapearing in the blink of an eye, while 100,000,000 people are being deported from their country????   could easily have gone unnoticed.  By 150 AD there was not a single Hebrew to be found through out Israel and Judea.
                The end of days had come to the children of Daniels people (as a nation)
          And for a time, times and half a time, The Hebrew people were banished from entering any city in Israel and Judea.
                In 1844 the caliphate ordered, Hebrews entrance into the cities.
                If 62 weeks is 568 years in prophesy is 62 weeks in prophesy (?)  42 months would be = to approx 1644 years.  1260 days =s exactly 1644 of our years.

If anyone honestly looked into the prospect this might have a valid argument,  especially when they see how a chronological order becomes evident as described in prophesy.

Which leads to a different onion to peel.   we would find ourselves on a different mountain top.
            Having the same sky to share.

oh!

I don't think I understand your point here, but just to clarify... Matthew 23 says none of those things. As a matter of fact, Jesus didn't tell the disciples individually their futures. He was telling them what would happen to Christians in general during the end times... and this took place in Matthew 24.

Matthew 23 : 13 - 31 Jesus is speaking directly to the scribes and Pharisee, seven times he says Woe to YOU. speaking to those he was standing in front of. 
                  Assuredly I say to YOU, all these things will come upon THIS generation.
              Matthew 23 : 34  Therefore indeed, I send you  prophets, wise men and scribes, some of them you will kill and crucify and some of them you will scourge in YOUR synagogues and persecute from city to city, ....
              Assuredly I say to YOU, all these things will come upon THIS generation.

Matthew 24:1    THEN  Jesus went out and departed from the temple and his Disciples came to him bragging about the grandeur of the temple, Jesus spoke of it being destroyed.
                    then Jesus went upon the temple mount.   
              Matthew 24:3 The disciples came to him PRIVATELY and ask him  when are all of these things going to happen?   
                    Mark 13:3   Peter James, John and Andrew came to Jesus PRIVATELY and ask him when are these things going to be?
                    This word Privately is key in properly understanding this message.
                    If I come to YOU privately to tell you things which you are going to see, why would you interpret this as Me giving a message to someone else?    Jesus was standing alone with the disciples. Who do you think the disciples thought he was talking to?
                   Was Jesus being intentionally deceitful to these four? 
                   What was described as will happen to, .....did happen to these four.

Except for the second coming, it would be very easy to see that all of these events did happen in the first century.  But the way in which we presume the second coming will be did not happen possibly because our presumption is incorrect, in the same manner the first arrival was not compatible with the way they were expecting.
                     If Jesus was standing in front of you and three of your friends, saying ,"They are going to kill some of us and some will be beaten, Why would we presume he wasn't talking about US?
                     Whether Jesus has already came as he said he will do ... or if this event is yet to come;  Doen Not change a single thing about his over all message.

If the 62 weeks described in Daniel began in 538 BC and ended in 30 AD, a week in prophesy would be equal to approx. 9.16 of our years.    Seven weeks later when it is believed the second coming will take place would be around 94ish AD.
                   According to John, Jesus did come back and gave him the Revelation in 96 AD.  No one knows if he appeared to others or not.
                  The Children of Daniels people were giver 70 weeks to quit sinning, make restitution and anoint the most high.   They didn't do it and 40 years later, the children of Daniels people were scattered through out the rest of the Roman Empire.  Where they will feed her there for 1260 days.

Using the equation mentioned above; this would be 1648 or 1649 years.
                The Jewish people began migrating back into the region in mass numbers at the turn of the 1800's.
                 If this interpretation is true, it changes nothing concerning the teachings of Jesus Christ.
                 The only difference this would make is that   we don't ride in the first buss, but another after it.

It would actually be good news if this is true. When we die, we go straight back to the father.

The way I understand prophesy, upon the second coming, 144,000 will be redeemed from the living, and a multitude who has come out of the great tribulation are seen before the throne of God.
                   And then, after the sixth trumpet is sounded, the first resurrection takes place. 
              From this day forward, when we die in the Lord, we go straight to heaven..
                 Rev. 20 describes Satan being bound in the pit and the dead reigning in heaven with Christ for 1000 years.   ....  the seven last plagues are then handed out and one at a time the vials are poured out upon the earth.
                   And after the thousand years pass, Satan is loosed for a short season. Except for the seventh trumpet and the seventh vial all of the plagues have already been inflicted upon the earth.

Understanding the element of "TIME" in prophesy is key in understanding them.
                  There is no way that everything described with the opening of the seven seals, and then the sounding of the seven trumpets, and then the pouring out of the seven vials could possibly all hapen within 3 1/2 of our years as is commonly taught in church.   
                  There would be no time between these events giving people time to repent.
                   Rev 16:8   and the fourth angel poured out his vial .... v.9 ....  and they repented not, so then the fifth angel poured out his vial.
                    It seems to me that there was a period of time between each of these plagues allowing mankind an opportunity to repent.
                     It just doesn't make any sense to me that 21 of these plagues take place within 3 1/2 years on earth.   If we are going to interpret scripture, we should do so in a manner which brings understanding and not confusion.
                    It just seems I am reading a different bible as everyone else is reading.  But I'm not!

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

Very interesting, lone77star.  Does Kaballah teach some form of meditation? energization exercises?

8. Cat333 profile image61
    Cat333posted 9 years ago

Thanks for starting this forum, Kathryn! So much truth being spoken in this one!

You're welcome.
      PS I like swinging on swings too!

Awesome!

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

Dr. Arthur H. Compton, Christian, Nobel Laureate (Physics) for his discovery of the Compton effect which provided the final confirmation of the validity of Planck's quantum hypothesis.
    "It is not difficult for me to have this faith, for it is incontrovertible that where there is a plan there is intelligence - an orderly, unfolding universe testifies to the truth of the most majestic statement ever uttered - 'In the beginning, God.'"

10. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Hello friends and family!!! smile
    Much to my dismay, this conversation was born shortly after I was gagged for "bickering" (all by myself) again...
    Sorry I missed it because I really had so much to say, until I read that Godly counsel was as apt and on-deck as usual.
    Though not trying to resurrect the dead, I'd like to add that biblical passages are not confusing. God does not author confusion. It is written.
    We must take in that spirit that understands. The bible is meant to "confound the wise." Or better yet, he that feels he "knows already." We have to go to God ready to hear from him (empty-cupped). It doesn't work when we take him our ideas in order to wrestle him into seeing things our way. He knows we don't know. He will not follow us down our edited path.
    Scripture (spirit of God illustrator) cannot be tried by our own spirits. We disagree. We must... well we know... wink
    Good one Kathryn!  Sorry I missed it.

Glad you're back; I missed your presence here!!

1. Cgenaea profile image60
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cat333! That was a really nice thing to say. Since it reached my heart, I am certain it came from the heart.
        I also hate I returned to dry bones. The battlefield is eerily empty.
        I guess you've convinced them all. wink or everyone just got tired of the back and forth three or four sentences. Lol...
        Have a great day!!!

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad your back. Your friends seem to need you.

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank god you're here Rad!  wink

There was an expo here at the weekend - numerous religions represented, even Pagans.  I didn't go along, afraid I might get inverted - sorry, converted!

3. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Waving hi to Genaea smile

1. Cgenaea profile image60
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hiiiiii!!! smile Thanks.

11. Cgenaea profile image60

smile Thanks Rad!
    I'm glad to hear you call me friend on the sly. Lol...♡

12. Cgenaea profile image60

'Sup jon...?
    As fresh ta def as always... smile

13. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Kathryn, the entire Bible is full of confusing and seemingly contradictory material. You are not alone in that assessment. But there are many reasons why it seems that way.

First of all, the Pentateuch (first 5 books) were written in code by Kabbalists. I suspect that even the modern Kabbalists don't know the whole story. I discovered 15 years ago, their "Tree of Life" matrix embedded in 2 chapters of Genesis.

Jesus talked of reincarnation and karma, but so did the Old Testament. Yet, most Christians today reject such notion without discussion. Their limiting interpretation is "truth" and everything else is a lie, to them. No humility, there. For me, I'm not satisfied. I remain both humble and hungry for answers.

Revelations likely has many of the same code elements used by the Kabbalists. It's called the language of branches and describes the spiritual world using physical things as symbols to represent the non-physical.

But the events of Revelations may be happening right now. The rebirth of Israel was a requirement. That probably started off the End Times in 1947.

The story of the great star named "wormwood" is an interesting tale that may already have occurred. It talks about a star falling to earth and spreading a deadly pestilence across a third of the world.

But what is a star? A literal star cannot fall to Earth, because it is too big. Earth would be a tiny pebble falling into gigantic sea of flame. A star is a nuclear furnace, burning light elements in atomic fusion.

So when did something star-like fall to Earth and spread a disease across a third of the world? Try 1986. A nuclear furnace named Wormwood (Chernobyl in Ukrainian), spread its nuclear fallout across a third of the Old World. My sister-in-law's family suffered several cancers after Chernobyl, because Romania was downwind from the nuclear reactor.

I wrote a book on some of my discoveries in the Bible, but I'm always a student. I'm now learning about the structure of reality from the people who's ancestors wrote the Bible -- Kabbalists.

<link snipped>

I have a feeling I'll be revising my book.

14. Cgenaea profile image60

We are not on the same page, obviously. No problem. smile I'm not offended or taken aback by opinion. If Jesus said it. I believe it. Please show me his word on reincarnation. I really need his truth. 
    Jesus is plain as Chernobyl. People do believe what they see, however, usually.  every individual, at their appointed time. We need not wait for yet another sign o' the times. The time is now for someone somewhere.
    Silly things have been chosen as confounding factors. Jesus actually did say, no man knows. Then he confirmed that he himself didn't know.
    "Always be ready" is the main idea.The "time" is near for many of us, maybe.
    Reincarnation/Jesus. Go! If you like...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)