Would you say something to a pregnant woman who is drinking alcohol?

Jump to Last Post 51-57 of 57 discussions (180 posts)
  1. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

It may be her body, her choice, but her rights end when she puts her baby's life and well-being on the line... for what? For a few drinks?

If she can't or is unwilling to quit drinking for her baby's sake, if she gets angry and defensive about it, I wouldn't stop at just a few words. She may need an intervention and treatment for alcoholism.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Coming in late but will put in my two cents, also.
    If the woman is "drinking like a fish" that sounds like excessive drinking. Yes, "our" mothers drank and smoked during their pregnancies, but that was before they knew of the medical dangers to the fetus.

It could be this woman either does not know that she is potentially harming her baby OR she thought she could stop or cut down but is finding herself unable to do so. Either way, a harsh confrontation is not going to help her. I would suggest gently asking if she is having trouble stopping drinking during her pregnancy and if she would like some help. No judgment, just concern.

Yes, I am aware that certain cultures -- including the wine folks out here in Napa Valley -- espouse the benefits of drinking wine during pregnancy. But there is a major difference between a glass or two of wine daily and "drinking like a fish." This woman does sound like her drinking is out of control.

If she does not stop and continues to abuse alcohol during her pregnancy there is a good chance the hospital will confiscate her baby when she delivers. They do that if they detect drugs or alcohol in the newborn's blood. Just FYI...

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We never really got a clarification on what exactly drinking like a fish means in this particular case. And considering all the background, it very well might mean just this glass of wine for dinner, or even less. smile

1. NYMiskovic profile image61
        NYMiskovicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To clarify, drinking "like a fish" means she is having atleast 1-2 drinks (beer, wine cooler) everyday.  Which to me seems excessive because I rarely drink.  Throw in the fact that she is pregnant and one drink within 9 months is too much for me.

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
          goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First of all. Are you even sure you are angry at her? Or could it be that you are angry at the person somewhere in your past, that passed judgment on you at one time in your life? And now you feel the need, you feel driven to do the same to someone else. I know I have been there, receiving judgment and passing judgment. It might just be time for you to find new friends.

2. LondonGirl profile image81
          LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hardly ever drink, either, but this isn't fish-like drinking, come off it!

3. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying this, before we all killed each other smile

3. Gerard Daniels profile image60
    Gerard Danielsposted 14 years ago

to NYMiskovic.
    i see that you are a caring friend and are in a tough spot that none of us want to be in; testing a friendship.
    if i have read correctly, it seems your friend has a minor drink or 2. I am no Dr of any type, but i do believe that that amount is most likely ' what the doctor ordered ' and i see no harm there. especially if she was a bigger drinker prior, cause this would take the edge off and be a helpful thing for both.
    but if you are still undecided, then suggest you and her to go down to see counsellor down at the Y or local community services just for someone for the both of you to talk too ( say you need help so you can help her if it helps) but only if it serious drinking. you can go on your own or phone for some signs and other things to watch for and THEN you can decide from there.

to help a friend in need is to be a friend indeed

4. profile image0
    LeM22posted 14 years ago

I agree with my friends and colleagues in the medical and human services fields who say talk to her. Let her know your concerns. Find some good information. It's her life and she will be living with her child forever. She will have to deal with that part of it herself, but if you don't talk to her, you will also feel some guilt which isn't healthy. Time will then...tell.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

One to two drinks per day is definitely NOT drinking like a fish and will NOT in all likelihood harm the baby. Did you know that in the British Isles women are (or used to be) encouraged to drink Guinness daily because it contains nutrients?

But if you know about the 1-2 drinks per day, it's possible that she is secretly drinking more when you're not around.

I go back to having a heart-to-heart conversation with her asking in a CARING way about what her doctor has recommended to her about taking care of herself during drinking. If you are uncomfortable leading with the drinking question, ask about how much weight the doctor recommends she gain, how about caffeine? And then get around to "And is your ob/gyn one that thinks moderate consumption is ok? I know there are differences of opinion..." I think you will be able to tell a lot by her responses. Good luck.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hi Melanie, I missed you smile

7. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

I would say something because the baby does not have a choice. Sometimes, your input could make all the difference in the world, sometimes not. But its worth a try at the baby's expense.

Drinking like a fish is out of control. Unless someone else drinks like a fish, then they don't know the difference

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)