Do Lenshubs Lose Their Redirects If Unpublished?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere; I could not find it so I'm asking here.

If a lenshub (a hub that is a transferred lens) is unpublished, does the URL redirect go away?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, but the perceived value of the (now-unpublished) web page does.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right now Squidoo is hosting the redirects, and once a lens redirect is initiated for a Lens it is permanent.  However, sometime toward the end of September HubPages is going to take over control of the Squidoo domain and our plan is to only redirect to currently featured hubs.  An unpublished hub is not featured, so the redirect will go away, but if the Hub is published and becomes featured again the redirect will be reinstated automatically.

1. sockii profile image70
          sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paul, for the direct answer!

2. Kylyssa profile image90
          Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your quick and simple answer!

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years ago

I recall Paul Edmondson saying 301 redirects from Squidoo would be permanent, but you'd still lose ranking while the Hub was unpublished.

I don't care about hubscore or rank because they don't interfere with my hubs getting views.  Losing hundreds of thousands of pins and other organic backlinks created by other people by losing the redirect would really hurt.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Relache is talking about Google ranking.   If the 301 redirect leads to a page that's unpublished, Google will soon dump any reference to it, and when you publish again, your Hub will have to start all over as if it's brand new.

I've been told that if an automated filter un-publishes a lenshub, it can get a human review within a few days.

1. relache profile image73
              relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you ask for it to be manually reviewed, then it can be reviewed in a few days.

But if you don't request the manual review it won't happen.

I understand this.  I only want to know what happens to the redirect.

I have faith in the normal process on HubPages but the redirects are something that is not part of the usual process.  I know if my hub is unpublished in error I can ask for a review and get it republished.  I know if my hub is unpublished for reason, I can fix it, ask for a review, and get it republished. 

Really, this is a very simple question but I think it's something only staff can answer unless the answer has already been given by staff somewhere.  The redirect is permanent but that isn't an answer to the question of whether or not the redirect goes will go to a lenshub after it has been unpublished and then republished. 

A permanent redirect just means that it will keep redirecting without an end date; it doesn't address interruptions of the published state.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

I think you do have an answer to your question.  The 301 redirect is permanent.  While your Hub is unpublished, it will go to a 404 page and if it stays that way for too long, your Hub will lose its Google ranking.   However once the hub is republished, it still has the same URL so the 301 will work again.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

If an automated filter unpublishes a Hub, you will see a warning in the black area at the top of the Hub, telling you why.   If you're not sure how to fix it, post a link to the Hub in the "Improving Your Hub" section and ask other Hubbers for help - there is usually a fairly obvious reason.

It's a hypothetical question at the moment.  None of my lenshubs have been caught in the filters.  The only doodads I see right now on my published lenshubs are herds of little red triangles.

I don't trust automated filters.  I came from Squidoo where the filters were junk that left up blatant plagiarism and nearly blank shopping cart pages while locking honest, substantial content that would usually get unlocked after hand reviews. 

I know I can get a hub re-published.  I just want to know what happens to redirects if lenshubs get unpublished, no matter how briefly.

2. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul never said broken links would be maintained.  If a 301 redirect leads to a 404, what's the point really?

Finally.  Someone gets it. 

It's a hypothetical question.  I don't need advice on how to make sure it doesn't happen; I just want to know what happens to the redirect if it does and when it happens.

The redirects are the primary reason I made the move to HubPages.  I have lenses I wanted to move off of Squidoo for years but felt chained by the backlinks.  It was what sweetened the deal enough for me to give HubPages a chance.  I'm glad I did but I'd like to know more about what I've signed up for.

I have faith that if one of my hubs gets unpublished I can either fix it, get it hand reviewed, and get it re-published or get a hand review and get it re-published if it's a filter error.

I want to know what happens to that redirect if such a thing should occur.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)