Ludicrous (slow) speed...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I'm wondering whether the importation of all the Squidoo articles has caused a traffic jam in HP's computers.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed the site operating at a snail's pace.  Sometimes, it won't even load.

Now, before anyone jumps right up and suggests a problem with my computer, let me assure you, I have already very recently:

run my virus scanning program, which has the latest updates;
    run my malware program, which is also up-to-date;
    run disc cleanup;
    run defrag;
    run backup;
    and, I am running AdBlocker Plus, which has always helped pages load faster since there is no waiting for ads to load.

Additionally, I am not having this creeping slow problem on any other site I visit!!

Ergo, the issue must be on the HP end of things.

Can anyone address whether or not they are also experiencing issues, and if so, should we assume the site merger may be to blame?  (I.e.  ... should HP have upgraded their own servers before attempting this action?)

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HP is in the process of upgrading their servers (as announced in another forum thread). This is causing some slow time and little bugs. As soon as the upgrade is complete we should see a difference.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess you haven't looked at your account page recently!    They upgraded the servers last weekend and it didn't go well.   I'm noticing the speed still isn't quite up to scratch even today.

DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I have looked at my account page recently; I do so daily. The only thing I've seen was an advisory about a delay in posting stats.  No further details were given there.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How odd.  It was up on my account page before last weekend, over the weekend and for a few days after that. 

Anyway, the point is,  you are right that it's a HubPages problem, not your PC. There was a server upgrade and it looks like they're still trying to sort out the bugs. They're on it!

2. hotbrain profile image49
    hotbrainposted 9 years ago

It's not just you.  It has been slow. Today I have been trying to edit hubs and it takes a long time to update them. At times, hubpages isn't loading at all. 

I also use a website service to monitor downtime, and several times this last week my hubpages subdomain was down for about 5 minutes.  However, the slowness is actually more frustrating than it being completely down... Because it's slow enough that people are probably clicking the back button and I have no way to know how often that's happening.

DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've had it refuse to load, and also come up with a blank page and a dialog box saying "unable to load page" when I try to make forum posts.  It happens about every other time.

3. Uzochukwu Mike profile image79
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

it may be network error

4. carny profile image91
    carnyposted 9 years ago

I have nothing to compare to since I'm new here, but yes. I get random timeouts when editing, or the "loading" icon just stays there blinking forever. Photos occasionally don't upload and have to be reuploaded later. Anyway, it's definitely not your computer or connection.

5. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

I've been having those problems too.  I was starting to think it was my computer.

6. CatherineGiordano profile image77

I've been having those problems too.  I was starting to think it was my computer.

7. CatherineGiordano profile image77

8. CatherineGiordano profile image77

9. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

No they were updating the servers, actually physically moving to a new site. This is always difficult, so the added burden of an extra 175,000 Hubs imported from Squidoo and all the extra editing going on is not helping.

HP management are still saying it is not the merger. However having done such major updates in the past I would say that there has to be an effect. Not sure how well HP was doing before the merger, but the loss of traffic is more to do with poor response than it is to do with Panda. My Hubs (formerly lenses) are ranking well in Google still so it is not Panda at least in my case. Hope this helps.

The server updating appears to have been problematic as stats had to be put on hold for 3 days or so. Mine updated today, but the 24 hr total was above the 7 day and it even showed some negatives for a while (How can you get negative views?) so I think we will be having issues for a couple more days despite HO being on it.

10. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

I have limited time to spend on HP lately and when I have been here it's been so frustrating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)