Drugs & Creativity

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Bambi L'Amour profile image61
    Bambi L'Amourposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11925763_f520.jpg
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else finds they write differently depending on their chemical consumption? Whether it's coffee & cigarettes (my personal choice) or maybe a little reefer or even straight up slamming some ice if that's how you roll, I'd really like to see how your creativity is affected (or not affected) by whatever you happen to imbibe. (first time on the forum so please forgive me if i'm in the wrong section/site/line of work smile

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess my "drug" would be music. If I play Strauss while writing my mind just opens up. If I eat chocolate before writing I write happy stuff. Other than that nothing else but fresh morning air affects me.

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice! Love it, Cardisa.

2. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're house is so clean.

3. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My Muse is much more fluid and focused with coffee and a cigarette.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I write best after fasting for several hours.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I initially misread that.  Hell of a trick I thought.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So amusing...smile

5. janshares profile image92

Funny post, made me smile, Bambi.

6. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess you could say my choices are cigarettes and iced tea. However, I always have those things near me whether I'm writing, reading, or watching television so I can't really say they have anything with my ability to write better.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

My stimuli are  caffeine and exercise.  I get more done under their influence.

3. Bambi L'Amour profile image61
    Bambi L'Amourposted 9 years ago

Coffee and cigarettes are a classic, I just finished a piece began with a jam last night and was formally completed about half an hour ago... enjoying my cigarette!!

4. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I create for a living, so my muse is my bitch. I can turn it on an off without any chemical assistance. The only variable might be which type of tea I'm drinking today.

Bambi L'Amourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I'm impressed, good for you that's quite the achievement!

1. lisavollrath profile image94
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nah. Just one of the perks of doing it for almost my entire life, and having a mortgage to pay. That end of the month payment can be a powerful kick in the butt to my muse!

5. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I was talking with a friend the other day about how a number of famous writers were known for their affairs with the bottle. Even Sherlock Holmes needed a little pick-me-up from time to time for good sleuthing. The somewhat recent revelation (a few years back now) that a very prominent fiction author wrote their best stuff while a regular cocaine user is another example. The author in the last example is no longer using and has gone clean (or whatever the terminology is) but is still writing marvelous books. There are a number of authors who are well known and don't require chemical means to produce good stuff. I don't include music and coffee and the like in the category of chemical need. But, that's my preference.

So, uhm, back strictly on topic. No, I don't require chemicals to write well. coffee is a must to jump start those grey cells to get anything done at all, writing or not.

Well we can expand the topic to include any type of stimulant that one uses to boost their creativity.

If you've visited my profile you'll have gathered that I have had a long and varied relationship with many different chemicals and substances, for me the best thing to get me into the relaxed but mentally sharp state are any dopamine-affective drugs, lately Ethylphenidate's which are essentially a slight variant on different (meth)amphetamines.

Societies throughout civilisation have used mind-altering substances to expand their consciousness and boost or sedate various states of the mind and I don't see that ending any time soon, the form might change but not the game and power of curiosity will ensure that things will generally stay the same.

6. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 9 years ago

Multi tasking. I don't drink coffee or tea ever. Coffee gives me a stomach ache and I just don't like tea. I smoke too much cigarettes when I'm on the pc all day.

When I'm writing I can leave the pc in the middle of a sentence and go outside to do something in the garden or go to my sheep and let the wind blow all the cobwebs out of my head.

I've no daily routine, I go by the flow.

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 9 years ago

Jack Daniels to even out the voices,then Valium to encourage that one soft obscure one...hiding at the fringes of my perception...the southern bell...the magnolia trembling with fear ...hiding in her closet...hoping she's not discovered by the bad men who want nothing more than to defile her...to trample her dignity.
    Then the Valium runs out and I sober up...the sadness overtakes me once again as the cycle completes its self...I've lost her...for the millionth time...in exactly the same way...my love remains unexpressed...she is my blessing;she is my curse...for she remains in the deepest reaches of my failing sanity
    "You see me now a veteran
    of a thousand psychic wars
    I live out on the edge
    where the winds of limbo roar"~Blue Oyster Cult~

Someone gave me the red pill
    when I specifically asked for the blue
    Know I know who I am
    but I'm not so sure about you

1. janshares profile image92

Voted up, awesome, beautiful, and interesting. Delete and put it in a hub.

^ The Blue Oyster Cult may have a wee problem with that tongue I agree though, absolutely beautiful and incredibly well thought out lyrics smile

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like beer. All that Valium and Jack Daniels would be too much for me, but two or three beers loosens me up just enough. It's hard for me to get too drunk on beer.

I bowl better after I've had a couple too.

8. Hunter L profile image66
    Hunter Lposted 9 years ago

Well definitely no alcohol. Codeine, Kratom and z class sleepers can help me to create ideas and notes. I'm currently writing this on etizolam, which has me slightly hazy, so not much ticking over. I intend to try ethylphenidate, as in low doses the dopamine receptor hit provide some real focus

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)