The A B C's of Confronting A Suspect: A Practical Guide

Jump to Last Post 51-68 of 68 discussions (460 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

I would think that an adult would suspect first that a child was holding a toy, not a gun.
    If they felt the need to shoot the child, they could have chosen a place on the body that would not kill him before he got medical attention, say the foot. If they knew how to use a gun they could have done this, if they didn't know how ...!?
    Regardless of their need to protect themselves, the boy got to live just twelve years, and was innocent.
    I think the first poster has some good ideas

The parents shouldn't have allowed their child to play with a toy gun, since this has happened before.
    I never allowed my son to, way back when you didn't hear much about this type of situation
    I hope parents will wake up

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

So, you say,  in a "free society," "citizen review boards" will "monitor" and "control" "police policy and activity" and be answerable to "the citizen"

Why does this sounds familiar (sans the citizen review board…)
    I thought anarchy had to do with no chiefs. All people knowing how to behave,
    not needing police in the first place.
    Confused.
    Pardon My Lowish Intelligence Quotient

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
      wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are confused because you haven't taken the time to study what anarchism really is. This government has helped foster the false notion that  anarchism is synonymous with chaos, because anarchist philosophy, more than any other political philosophy exposes the true oppressive nature of a Capitalist State. In any society there must be order, but we have come to define order in the current system as slavery; where the citizen is subordinate to the state. Such thinking is "Donkey Backwards".

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you glanced at the Federalist Papers? Do you realize this book explains the basis for a government which is by, of and for the PEOPLE? Our government is the first one in the history of the world based on the power of the people and not on the tyranny of leaders. Our government is supposed to be serving us as our servant. In this country the rulers are the employees OF the PEOPLE. Senators, Congressmen and Presidents are paid by US. The Constitution of the United States actually establishes OUR authority.
        READ THE FEDERALIST PAPERS!
        For every citizen to read and understand the basis of the Constitution is to take (back?) the power we were meant to have.

Yes I have read them. It is all smoke and mirrors. The people have no control here. You have no control over your representatives. There are many examples, but military aid to Israel is a good one, police brutality is another, and military actions overseas is another; the list goes on.  The representatives are controlled by the ruling elite , and the Military Industrial Complex. You have no control.

A. The people have control through the voting process.
            B. We must support Israel as an ally.
            C. Military aid overseas is in the name of proactive protection for the US.
            D. Police Brutality is a myth.
            E. Racism is a Myth

This is reality.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.. is "Donkey backwards" intended to mean "bass ackwards?"

GA

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

<" The representatives are controlled by the ruling elite , and the Military Industrial Complex. You have no control.">

In other words: The ruling elite controls our representatives and the military industrial complex. Not us,
    according to wB.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

We can vote out the "ruling elite".

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

BTW
    "The term “Zionism” was coined in 1890 by Nathan Birnbaum. Its general definition means the national movement for the return of the Jewish people to their homeland and the resumption of Jewish sovereignty in the Land of Israel. Since the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, Zionism has come to include the movement for the development of the State of Israel and the protection of the Jewish nation in Israel through support for the Israel Defense Forces.From inception, Zionism avocated tangible as well as spiritual aims. Jews of all persuasions - left, right, religious and secular - formed the Zionist movement and worked together toward its goals."

"Many Christians have traditionally supported the goals and ideals of Zionism. Israel's open and democratic character and its scrupulous protection of the religious and political rights of Christians and Muslims rebut the charge of exclusivity."

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso … onism.html

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

And I am convinced that this is what is going on:

"Anarchists" want to get rid of the CAUSE of Elitism:

Capitalism and American Freedom / American Liberty

Anarchists wish to destroy everything as it now exists

and replace it with something ELSE.

Something undefined and unreal.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I do not believe we should give up on America. The Constitution works and was designed to work for posterity. It's principles are based on human nature which does not change. Humans thrive in liberty which is granted to us through order. Order is outlined in the Constitution. It really is.
    Freedom within Boundaries is the key.
    They are two sides of the same coin and you can't have one without the other.

PS The boundaries should guarantee freedom. If they don't, throw 'em out.

8. profile image58
    Minnieweather Tposted 9 years ago

Wrench Biscuit this is T- Bone. I do like and agree with what you said. Too many officers of the law do not go about their jobs in a manner that would avoid embarrassment and shame for the good officers on the police forces across America and the way that they’re taught could be upgraded as well.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

What's there to love about America for those who hate the Constitution, its founders and all they stood for? What's there to love about America if its citizens are mostly brainwashed and TV addicted? What's there to love if those citizens are prejudiced and hateful toward other fellow citizens of other races? What's there to love about a country which tries to prohibit those who would sneak across its borders? What's there to love about a country which produces policemen who hate the populace and happily murder twelve year old boys for brandishing toy guns in playgrounds?
    I ask.

Very Curious

10. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

I do not love "The Wizard of Oz" but I think it is a very good story, and I always liked Judy Garland.

Do you think our govt./ Constitution is not based on moral code?

John Adams said, "Without the pen of the author of Common Sense, the sword of Washington would have been raised in vain." It should be obvious to any student of history that Thomas Paine was a primary architect of the American Revolution. Certainly, there can be no doubt that he was in charge of the marketing department.

Paine remarked  in "Common Sense":

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one: for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries BY A GOVERNMENT, which we might expect in a country WITHOUT GOVERNMENT, our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer."

These are strong words that stirred an emerging nation, but  years later John Adams referred to "Common Sense" as a "crapulous mass". Adams disagreed with the type of radical democracy promoted by Paine (that men who did not own property should still be allowed to vote and hold public office), and published Thoughts on Government in 1776 to advocate a more conservative approach to republicanism.

When we consider such sentiments toward the common man, as well as the institution of slavery, and the ethnic cleansing which coexisted with the framing of the Constitution, we can clearly see that whatever ":moral code" we might find in the Constitution has never translated into the world of flesh and blood. Not then, and not now. The sentiments of John Adams are apparent today. Although the common man can vote, he can only participate in the lower latitudes of political life. All but 9 out of 43 presidents have been millionaire's.22 out of those 43 have been multi-millionaire's. George Washington's net worth in current U.S. dollars was over 500 million dollars! Of course, his slave holdings helped in accumulating such wealth. Thomas Jefferson, another slave owner, was not far behind with a  net worth of 212 million.

The historical record clearly reveals that greed has always trumped morality in the American mainstream. If a moral code does not exist in the hearts of men, it really doesn't matter what is written on a piece of paper, or how much law enforcement there is, or how many prisons are built; or how many speeches are made. For the common man, the U.S. Constitution is, overall, a useless document; a bedtime story; an "American Dream". But to the rich and the powerful, it is a license to steal, for a slave who believes that he is free man will never rebel, nor try to escape. He will surely become the "good citizen".

2. oceansnsunsets profile image83
        oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it would be a hard case to make, to suggest the constitution of the US isn't based on moral code.  I think it is it's driving force really.  So, while they were far from perfected, and not looking at things through the lens of history since, from a 21st century lens, they knew a lot if the harms, from the society they left.   I am thankful for that constitution and it's moral code and hate that so many are stripping away what it was/is.

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Dear wrenchBiscuit,

We have learned from you that the Tribes of the Original People of this continent had their own laws and codes of conduct and that some of the tribes shared common laws and treaties with other tribes. The Europeans "had the law of Jesus and the Prophets, which they ignored and disrespected."  In recent times, Zionists have "disrespected the sovereignty, and the human rights of the Palestinian people."  A "system of evil"  ignores "God's law, tribal law, and the laws of the United States.

This "system of evil" is your main concern, is it not? What form does this system of evil take? I think in the Bible it is referred to as Babylon. Some say Babylon is rising again in the New World Order. Some say Babylon is the force of the Devil Himself. Perhaps, ultimately the force of goodness, God, is fighting the force of evil, Satan. Individuals, through freewill, choose which side they are on.

Has God given us the free will to decide which side we are on? No. God wants what is good for us. We want what is good for us. Satan, however, could care less. He only wants what is good for himself. But, where does happiness lie? Through the ignorance of selfishness or the wisdom of what is truly good for oneSelf and all Selves?

In America, the individual has the freedom to find and choose what is truly good. In the world, Satan can play. He can instigate world dominion. Whoever follows the will of the Devil perpetuates the system of evil. The problem is this: only God, Himself, can influence the hearts of men. It cannot be instituted through government or any other force from without. God's goodness must be received in Liberty by each person through their own choosing. The United States Constitution guarantees that liberty through the order of law and justice. That people do not understand this is a great tragedy. (Especially, if we lose that liberty…which IS being lost little by little… through design, I might add.)

I will not say obviously, as the truth is not that obvious. It is hidden and mysterious…

In the final analysis, Jesus, (and the saints/prophets of all religions,) lead us to the light of God. Our Constitution opens the curtain to let in the light.

TWISI

12. oceansnsunsets profile image83
    oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years ago

It seems we are talking about multiple things, and maybe forcing a connection. They are somewhat distantly connected, but not in the ways they need to be for the "answer" to be the answer for the problem.

I have said some of this before.  Humans are broken in some ways that to fix, take a lot more than having a government where you have to face penalties for things for murder and rape.  We would in essence be creating bigger and more government to put a "fix" through prevention, onto something that it can't do in and of itself necessarily anyway.  Not that it isn't a worthy desire or goal to have!  Sure it is! 

I think the one that made us and knows what "breaks us", has the answers. We all hold human life dear, and I think we are all made in the image of God, our creator. (My belief, and thoughts include this)

Rape and Murder prevention that is lasting is something that needs to get in deep into the soul, mind, and will of a person.  To enforce whatever is come up with, to address such things in a society will likely need some kind of ethics or law enforcement.  The same problem would ensue wouldn't it, when the leaders of that supposed wonderful system want to rape, or murder and "greed people out of their money" are in power?  Whatever is come up with, would be fraught with the same difficulties IF the problem is truly greed, rape and murder, and the things that lead to those things. 

So it becomes about the certain groups again at particular times it seems.  This is a side issue as I see it, though massively important.  Its like wanting to change up a whole government, and saying some observed things in the past and present, and then when its sorted through in the "ideas department", has a response akin to something like, "Well people are starving and thirsting to death across the world....we need to do something...."  Well yes on the one hand here are a pile of ideas, and over there we could talk about very real problems we can all agree on exist, and not making the connection.  One has to include an applicable and sufficient resolution to attend to these great and grave issues.  For now, apart from our creator who is in the business of fixing what breaks his most loved creation, we have to for the time being, separate out the murderers and rapists from the rest of society for their own protection.  Let us be attracted to the things that fix such issues in a real way, and not stop wanting change for better, but realize our limitations.  Many choose to live in this imperfect country because it is still the best one according to many. 

Observing and communicating the problems and talking of preventions and or as solutions has been handled somewhat differently by different cultures of the past, even by Europeans (right or wrong.)  I think some of it is misdirected and forced also, and equally not fixing the problem, only changing it up, and with new victims in the fall out.  Speaking here of the desire to uphold a better moral way, and force it in an effort to prevent hopefully..... Our wills are big and we have a tendency to self destruct, but the desires have been there to see a huge problem and want to fix.  We repeat....  I don't agree with everything force, but am thankful for the truth that trickles down and through it all, and that I can see out.

13. oceansnsunsets profile image83
    oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years ago

Some of the ideas of the past that were given and forced onto people, I have not agreed with in their totality and execution of ideas.  I don't like the added onto, man made stuff.  Many disagree with me.  I am referring more to the idea that its been a desire to insert types of morality to fix what hurts us most.  Even that gets corrupted at times, and I think a greater evil tries to distort all things good, or that would be.  We have seen what doesn't work, over and over and over.  We are farther now in history and ability to look back and see what hurts worse and what helps.

I think its all to point to something.

Morality has never been corrupted, as it is absolute. It is man who believes his limited perspective can reveal the truth; that the ends justifies the means, and that might makes right.  It is the arrogance of inferior men who walk to and fro across the Earth, leaving the putrid stain of materialism in their wake, who have polluted the environment, created the inner city ghettos, perpetuated violence,and enslaved the entire world. Any one of you, or any ten, or any ten thousand of you could stop the evil that permeates this society, and the entire world. This could be done today. But the majority have been corrupted with materialism, and so their fear of rebellion is as much the fear of losing their meaningless possessions, as losing their lives.

Police brutality is nothing new. Killer cops are nothing new. With the overall mindset I have seen revealed on this thread, I am sure it will only continue.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't be foolish; there isn't a single moral that is absolute.  Not a single one accepted and followed universally.  Although the so-called "Golden Rule" comes close it, too, is always twisted and deformed to conform to the wishes of the people.

We have been down this road before. Let them who have eyes to see ... and those with ears to hear... etc.. You are unable to answer a simple question I asked earlier in this thread. Yet, you are always quick to dismiss what you apparently do not comprehend. It is not possible to enlighten anyone; especially the arrogant man full of pride. It is only possible for us to encourage those who already see, and thus fulfill our responsibility to God.

First: yes I will not only call the cops on a house looter, but will put as many holes as I can into them.  Will you now answer the question I asked?

But the biggest problem here seems to be comprehension all right - your inability to comprehend that things aren't as you think they should be.  That your concepts, ideas and morals are not the be-all and end-all to everything.  That you have neither the right nor duty to set these things for humanity as a whole.

So open your eyes.  Look at the moral structures used by man throughout the millenia and the miles; THEN declare that there is a set of universal, unfailingly right, morals that everyone agrees with.  (It would add weight if that set were different than your own - egocentrism seldom adds to an argument).

Well there may have been a misunderstanding, as I agree true morality is real, and can't be corrupted.  I mean in how it looks, how it is "played out", by people that think that doing it one way, is good, but really it might be a distortion of things.  Causing greater hurt.  Some religion has done that, was my point.  Even if the intention was originally good, the added onto stuff, got corrupted, or some of the "in the name of" stuff that was done.   

We are also speaking of accepting that while might doesn't make right, for example, it does seem to be what has driven a lot of who owns what land until today.  From the beginning of time until now, it IS what has done this. No matter what the nationality, THIS is what has happened.  (Not saying its right, just real.  Reality.)  So we have all learned to get along the best we can with that.  It happened to a lot of the Europeans on their own lands long ago too.  So we are talking about more complexity in these issues than meets the eye, initially.  Yet what is being focused on is the morality of such things, or the fairness of such things.  Like I think that by "might", some of the American Indians tried to fight off what they disagreed with that happened with the Europeans.  We have to also accept that IF they could have, that they wouldn't now be in the "wrong" for still owning/occupying the land.  Right? Or when they did it to the ones before them in their own dwelling places.  It can't be right sometimes, and wrong other times, depending on whose version is being told. 

If we get caught up in personal begrudging of things, never moving past a point, say, that is a personal choice one could make but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to do that.  Some fight, some survive and are patient to work on better and better.

As for slavery, we are all slaves no matter what, if we want to eat.  We are slaves to our needs to survive.  We don't HAVE to survive, but if we do intend to, we have to do what someone else tells us to, for money.  Even if CEO, President, Owner, etc, there are always people to answer to on some level in life.  This isn't preferred by us, but it IS.  People could fight it until their death, but it doesn't seem the wisest to do.  It doesn't mean you give up trying to always improve, and get toward a better way.

Currently, I think the USA and the world, but for sure USA is on a spiraling downward path.  How to fix it is complicated, and how some try to use and abuse some less than intelligent, or wise for their own purposes, seems evil.  Tickling people's ears, to cater to their lazy or greedy needs and desires seems to work well.  Not counting on people to think that it still will cost them, etc. 

Stopping evil in any society has never been achieved, not ever.  Its not that it isn't a totally worthy goal!  It is.  Its not about being brainwashed, or blinded, or being materialistic, greedy....  Of course those things could be pointed and shown.  I doubt all don't want what you want, a seeming paradise, free of corruption and evil!  I think this is a creator given desire, made in that image of one's creator.  For a reason. In the mean time, we desire that, but can't have it, to point to other realities.  Also, like that only what can fix it, can fix it.  In the mean time, we ARE reactionary to it, we DO have to keep the more innocent (never really totally innocent) safe from those that do evil without a conscience it seems.  In THAT process, there can and will likely be some corruption, which also must have its checks and balances, recourses to be had.  Worst case is unfair death, which I also think will be answered.  This is not the final courtroom, not any final judge. We need to act, care, be alert, love, be patient, and never give up, be wise...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12056725.jpg
          You have commented:
          " We have to also accept that IF they could have, that they wouldn't now be in the "wrong" for still owning/occupying the land.  Right? Or when they did it to the ones before them in their own dwelling places.  It can't be right sometimes, and wrong other times, depending ... "

Your statement proves that you either refuse to see the difference or are simply unable to. Possessing only what one needs to survive and go about their business, is far different  than seeking to control large tracts of land as a means of power, control, and subjugation through dispossession. What you express is a Eurocentric notion that the Indigenous were just as greedy and immoral as the European Invaders. This is more true today than it was in 1492, simply because the Indigenous have been influenced and corrupted with over 500 years of Colonialism. You express an apologist idea in order to mitigate the evil of materialism that was imported to this continent from Europe. The European stole the land, divided the land, and then put a price on the land; creating a system that automatically, and by default, dispossess anyone who cannot afford the price of admission. Such a perversion of nature had never existed here before.  Prior to Columbus, it wasn't necessary for this tribe , or that tribe to steal the land being occupied and used by another.

This made no sense at all. There was no need to go to all the trouble of fighting a war over a plot of land, when there was another plot of land just as fertile and appealing upstream, or down stream. There was enough to go around, and although there were instances of aggression among certain tribes. Such events were more the exception than the rule. As I have said before, the evil concept of buying and selling Real Estate is the root of much of the misery that we see today here in the United States. There is still enough land available that each American family could have a wonderful home and a place to dwell. I am not speaking of warehousing human beings in a ghetto, or of stacking them atop one another in housing projects. Every man, and woman, and child in the United States could have a beautiful home, with a beautiful yard, and even a beautiful view, but this does not exist because once every man is truly treated equally in this way, then the rich man will no longer have a position, or place in this world. And so, if you are a member of the poor, or the working class, I have named your enemy, and this we share in common.

"Every man, and woman, and child in the United States could have a beautiful home,"

Will you provide the labor and materials to build all these millions of homes?  Or just demand that someone else do so?  And when they do, what will you give up as they no longer produce the food, cars or computers that YOU want?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12056854.jpg
              I am not helpless, and so I cannot speak for your current condition. All of the materials necessary to build a home have been provided  by God. The land produces the food that you buy in a package or a can, and so no one but a lazy fool would starve in a free country, where everyman has the right to possess the means to survive without first paying a price of admission to the extortionists in Washington. We are all bound to die, and that is our price of admission, our mortality has earned us this right. Each man provides his own labor.

If you are a helpless man in a free society, then it would be wise to be nice to your neighbor, so that he may attend to your needs. Concerning computers and electrical conveniences. All of these things would continue to exist in a free society. Production and maintenance of technology is not dependent upon capitalism, or evil intentions. With alternative forms of energy like solar and wind, there would be no need to be dependent upon the monopoly of a power company. Concerning cars. In a free society, a machine that kills over 40,000 citizens annually in the U.S. alone, would not be welcome. The freedom to kill another human being would not be an option in a free society; through any means, or commodity. However, the freedom to kill oneself through the use of dangerous drugs would be allowed. All of the natural remedies and plants placed upon this Earth by God would be accessible to any adult who chose to pursue this path for recreational, spiritual, or medicinal reasons.

In the words of the immortal Jim Reeves: "Welcome to my world. Won't you come on in?"

Boundaries: No cars, trucks, big rigs, tractors or motorcycles. No guns, knives, bows or arrows, swords, or crossbows, or tomahawks. No land ownership or land development, instead high taxation of the people for the purpose of governmental land development. Some modern inventions would have to be allowed… such as? How about airplanes, jets or trains, ships. Everything dependent upon hydro-elecetric power, oil/gas, natural gas, propane, oil, coal/wood/water/steam and fire for warmth heat, light and power? Well, good!

So, I would have to ride my bicycle to work.
                So, I would have to fly my solar-powered mini plane to work.
                So, I would have to drive my electric powered go-cart to work.
                So, I would have to roller blade, roller skate or ride my skate-board to work.
                Ride my horse or my donkey.  (As long as I can afford the hay.)
                … so, maybe a Segway people mover, instead.

Or sit it out in debtor's prison. Oh, that doesn't exist either. Well, thank goodness for that.

2. wilderness profile image96

"All of the materials necessary to build a home have been provided  by God."

Absolutely.  Things like copper pipe and wire, solder for the pipes, lighting fixtures, carpeting, even the nails to hold the framework together; all placed on the ground at our feet by your god.

Not. 

And even if they were, I highly doubt that even one with your own vaunted intelligence knows enough of all the trades to put it together into a fine and beautiful home.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12058385.jpg
                  The "happy slave" mentality is such that the slave cannot see beyond his world of servitude, and the relative safety and comfort of a world in which to work and obey is his only responsibility. It is no wonder that men like George Bush and Dick Cheney can literally get away with murder in the light of day, beneath a clear blue sky. It is only a cultivated ignorance that has produced the fiction that the citizen cannot survive without "Big Brother"; that the factories would all shut down; that the infrastructure would fall apart; that the so-called free market would collapse; that hospitals, and emergency services would all shut down , and the nation , and the world, would be thrown into chaos.

For a child, or an 18 year old teenager to believe such absurd nonsense would not be too surprising, but for adults who have apparently squandered their money on higher education, only to be  left clueless in the face of what should be obvious, is not only an outrage, but it is one of the greatest tragedies of all time; that the European has believed, for well over a thousand years, a great fiction; a lie that suggests mankind is hopelessly bound by a violent nature, and that society cannot exist without the tyranny of an oppressive state to temper, and control  this violent nature.

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
                  Now I will destroy a great perversion; a myth that came across the Atlantic in 1492, and that has now infected the entire world like the plague. Man is not violent by nature. On the contrary, men are docile beasts, and compliant by nature. Because of this, small groups of ruthless men, of relative superior intellect , have been able to subjugate the masses; bending and shaping them in accordance with their diabolical will. There can be no other explanation. If the nature of the average man was inherently violent, then an event like 9/11 would have never played out the way it did. A nation of violent men would not have allowed their ":Public Servants" who have been charged with looking out for the general welfare of the populace to deceive them, lead their sons and daughters to the slaughter, and then retire to their mansions, golf courses and yachts.  In 2012 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Desmond Tutu ,  called for Tony Blair and George Bush to face prosecution at the International Criminal Court for their role in the 2003 U.S.led invasion of Iraq, but nothing has come of it, and most likely never will. Why did the "violent men" not rise up and drag Blair and Bush before the war crimes tribunal? Because such violent men do not exist in large numbers.

This morning, I have laughed out loud. Who but I could ever wake up on this day and proclaim, that with only a few exceptions, men are not naturally given to violence, men are more likened to sheep, or a goat herd.. Now, this is a great mystery to many because one might think. How can this be? Were not the mobs of southern miscreants who lynched the freedmen violent men? Are not the gangs that freely roam the inner cities comprised of violent men, teenagers, and even young boys and girls? Are not the soldiers who stand upon the killing fields violent men? The answer to all of these questions is a resounding: No!

Let us first look at the average soldier: The average soldier fights because of fear. It is not his wish to kill, as he does not enjoy the sight, the sound, or the smell of death and carnage. His fear of dismemberment and death are only surpassed by his fear of authority. Should he defy the authority that sent him to the battlefield, he might lose his home, his livelihood, and his reputation. He may even be imprisoned. But a violent man is not given to such fear. A violent man does not allow another man, or  state "authority" to lead him into a slaughterhouse unless he himself chooses to go. A violent man does not fear the consequences, as he stands ready to deliver consequences of his own. Terms such as : duty, honor, patriotism etc., are effectively used to offset the otherwise unflattering appearance of blind obedience, and fear of authority.

Concerning street gangs: The violence that is played out on the streets of every inner city in America is more a reaction to poverty, and social circumstance, than a manifestation of an inherently violent nature. This can be easily proven when we compare the violence in the ghetto with the relative calm of the more affluent suburbs. If men were inherently violent, then the level of violent crime would not  greatly fluctuate  due to geographical, economic, or social conditions.

Concerning mob violence: People who participate in mob violence, whether it be a group of angry citizens, or a gang of rogue cops,  are not necessarily inherently violent. When human emotions and certain prevailing attitudes are combined with certain events, in the context of a group, these events can trigger a psychopathic response within the group. Such a psychopathic response is more akin to a reflex, or convulsion introduced by a toxic substance, than an indication of an inherently evil nature.

In other words, the transition to a free society will not cause men to run wild in the streets; raping and pillaging, and murdering one another, as men are not inherently violent by nature.  Nor will a free society lead us technologically back into the stone ages. The goat herd will still remain in the free society. But instead of being ruled and herded this way and that by tyrants, the herd will be gently, and lovingly guided by the Good Shepherd's.

N O yikes! I heartily and severely disagree. Who wouldn't? We are not goats. We are individuals with individual wills. The individual is everything in America and in the World, though only in America and perhaps a few other democratic nations (that are not social democracies) is the individual given due and proper regard.

One must know something of true human nature in attempting to design a society. If one could bring about a society without any regard whatsoever to the glory and power of each individual and his God-given self-guided WILL, it would be a drastic disservice to mankind.

You claim:  "...men are docile beasts, and compliant by nature." History and observation of those around us shows this statement is not true in the least. We are, each one of us, powerful survivors with strong wills that we either tame and master or do not, according to inner dictates.

We are a peaceful nation and are in the habit of giving our public servants, (who we elected, after all,) the benefit of the doubt. Once we know for sure what is going on, the non-violent sleeping giant will wake up and take appropriate wisdom-guided action. No need for violence against one's own democratic republic which has served them pretty darn well. Many problems have been tackled. Many problems can still be solved. I would say this is the true nature of America: We are a nation of excellent problem solvers. The problems will be solved in due time.

A revolution, however, may be in order sooner rather than later.  Especially if the vote no longer counts. Please give the American people more credit than you do. Words count... what we say counts. Technology is bringing people into like mind and has given us much power. We can use it wisely for great positive benefits. But, we must be on the same page. Your page needs to ripped out fast.

Thanks but no thanks to absolute and utter ignorance of human nature.

Thanks, however, for your wonderful imagination and teaching us what NOT to base a society on.

Hint: Utopia= that which can never be.

We are speaking of preferences in part, and making judgements again.  Its like saying one way is the right way, but really it could just be different.  A persons preference that you might be judging.  Sure, many people could live off of much less than they tend to accumulate.  We do have too much, but is it really fair to call it "evil" of materialism, as you put it? Why would I have a need to mitigate it?   Many would agree, that less is more.  Do you live a totally minimalist lifestyle now, and want less for yourself than you currently have?  Even if you did change things up drastically, would you miss the conveniences you now have? 

Without knowing if you personally benefit or not from things like factories that make clothing and computers and cars its hard for me to imagine that its totally fair that you seem to need to demonize the same as if its evil.  I worry even saying that, because I have seen you come back with comments like that people just don't understand your simple points.  Often though, they point out how other things would need to be the case, for your points to go through, etc.  It seems fair.

To the rest of the items, I do wish that the harm wasn't done.  I wish there was some more perfect way.  I am not rich, and we totally have to work.  So I get that other stuff.  Even in the first century AD, and prior, we see verses in the bible speaking of having to work to eat, and the like.  Its part of our life, our downfall.  No one gets away with not having to work, and work hard for what they have.  OR, they live off the very hard work of someone else sometimes.  None of this is free, and its not me trying to insult or point out the obvious.  I am saying it because its the more natural and simple way to look at what I think you are partly protesting to. Its not got to be some evil of others so much, certainly not the whole group. 

Supposedly, we benefit from what our taxes provide. I think Kathryn has touched on that briefly at least. Such a revolution, based on supposed greed and evil of a whole group, without the complete breakdown of how its possible which needs a LOT of answers and finer details, could result in absolute pandemonium, perhaps a lot of even death in others.

Even if we find some rich that are awful individuals that know no end to greed, I am not sure the case is made, and that its a Eurocentric view.  "A perversion of nature" you said....  Do you really want to go back to that nature?  It is seeming less and less realistic, and more and more like what i said before.  That you are seeming to want some paradise, and perfection.  Something everyone wants.  I am glad I can call for an ambulance, fire truck, and police, as well as get to a hospital over the bridge or an ER or to work, etc. If this really is just about showing how evil the current system is and has been since that time, more of a plan would be in place I think, and more of Kathryn's questions and others could be answered, as full of details as they might be. 

You said, "Prior to Columbus, it wasn't necessary for this tribe , or that tribe to steal the land being occupied and used by another."

Perhaps there were other factors at play, like population?  Also, we don't know that for sure either, and we do know the race of those people or tribes, weren't all originally from here.  So what happened?  Is it a case of you assuming the best of one group and assuming the worst about another?  I see people do this in life, and its one of the most destructive things.  Seems too simplistic perhaps, but it isn't.  People can build, make, and maintain "cases" against an individual or group based on just those kinds of things.  Assumptions of best and worst.  Again, the actual particulars matter, and if assumptions of good are given to one, why not to the other, if not? 

It would be an ideal system if people were perfect and we didn't have to work the soil so hard for our food, or the equivalent.  It was promised, and its hard, sure enough.  Part of the downfall.  We aren't perfect, yet want others to be, and want the world and society to be perfect.  These ideas keep taking my mind back (or forward) to when and where that will be more of a possibility or actuality.  Its not uncommon to want our cake, and now, and to eat it too.  Its not necessarily (at all) a brainwashing of me by the things you said it is, that I say these things either.  I wish it were possible, and don't think a few people like you said can pull it off.  Its not even been shown to be possible in the idea form yet, much less in an actual and factual way.  This "problem" ALL seems to be laid at the feet of the European, and I am not sure that is fair.  Many thought inventions and the like were and are a good thing, but it could certainly also be said that its just more evil materialism...  Tough topic.  Sure I want all the same things.  The literal lack of them I don't lay at the feet of a race or time frame, etc.

(((Whispering@ OS: and yet he mentions, "without first paying a price of admission to the extortionists in Washington.")))

@ wB: I refuse to live nomadically within a tribe of people.

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Repeating:
    "What form does this system of evil take?"
    "What would you recommend the government do to prevent rapes and murders?

Are you saying that our government is a system of evil?
    A  non-evil system of government would be one which prevents rapes, murder and greed.
    What sort of government do you recommend?
    How would those who believe political anarchism respond to such a question?
    You are not talking about men being evil, only a system. The system somehow promotes evil in men.
    H O W ?
    The system of our govt. allows liberty. Capitalism thrives in liberty. Are you saying to get rid of the very system which promotes liberty in order to get rid of the evil in men? I think that is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Maybe you are saying the system causes rebellion and selfishness.
    Can you show us cause and effect of what ever system you are referring to.
    If you answer even one of these questions directly it would be most helpful to those of us who are arrogant and low IQ.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Those are good questions, and I don't see answers.  They would be tough to answer, to be fair.  Thus, why it should be more thought out before just thrown about.  People can and do say all kinds of things.  Not all are completely warranted, some aren't practical in a real world, considering what we are working with. 

Its wise to ask these questions I think!

15. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 9 years ago

So, we can put this one to bed. The U.S. Dept. Of Justice and the City of Cleveland agreed that the Rice shooting is to be considered a homicide and the police department will be subjected to substantial reform in the way it does its job. I will say that as tragic as this has been at least the cop that fired the weapon is in hot water and the city of Cleveland  due to patterns and practices of excessive force will have to submit to a shakedown.

All of us on this thread knew this was coming and consider it a well deserved penalty.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12056316.jpg
      This is good news. Also according to Reuters:
      "Cleveland's police force has been under a U.S. Department of Justice investigation, which found in a report released on Dec. 4 that the department systematically engages in excessive use of force."

"Rice was shot less than two seconds after the police car pulled up beside him in the park, police have said. "

"This week, Tamir’s mother, Samaria Rice has spoken out at a press conference, saying that not only was her 12-year-old son shot by officer Timothy Loehmann, but her 14-year-old daughter was immediately detained, handcuffed and thrown in the back of a police car."

"At the press conference on Monday, Samaria Rice said that when she arrived at the scene of the shooting, she found her 14-year-old daughter handcuffed in the back of a police car. The girl was apparently handcuffed because she “refused to calm down” at the sight of her little brother just getting killed in front of her."

Hopefully, trigger happy Timothy Loehmann, the  cop who murdered Tamir Rice in cold blood, will get some quality time behind bars ,and  perhaps develop some meaningful relationships with lonely inmates. After all of the publicity in Ferguson Missouri over the murder of unarmed teenager Michael Brown, one would think that Loehmann would have proceeded with more caution. But this tragedy only further illustrates that due to the unpredictable, and dangerous nature of law enforcement, the current practice of hiring police officers with an IQ under 125 will forever remain a liability.

I was OK with this post...right up until the spin on the killing of the man named Michael Brown.  Not a murder, and trying to insinuate he was but a child kind of ruins the whole thing - plain, unadorned facts are SO much better!

Michael Brown was 18 years old. Any age under the age of 20 qualifies as a teenager. I insinuated nothing, and only stated a fact. Furthermore, murder is murder. According to one definition: Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).

The cop in Missouri clearly intended to murder Michael Brown. Furthermore, the human does not have the authority to make the killing of another human being justified or "lawful". This is simply a popular fiction of an evil society. Even in wartime: Murder is Murder. Accept the truth and evolve.

Sorry - legally the age of 18 is considered an adult in nearly all situations and if Mr. Brown had survived he would certainly have been charged with assault as an adult.  Your "fact" is little but personal opinion - or do we enlist children into the army now?

Children have historically served in the U.S.  military. I enlisted at the age of 17, as did many of my peers. Are you suggesting that I was also an adult?  It is clear that you have deferred yourself to the authority of the state, but I am not bound to the definitions of tyrants, as they are intellectually my subordinates.

Yes, I understand you are not bound to the definitions of tyrants, preferring to make your own definitions in order to give a false image to listeners.  It's called "spin", is very common, and useless in a discussion with discerning people that pay attention to facts rather than emotional arguments intended to influence rather than inform.

2. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What am I missing?  He referred to him as an unarmed teenager, which is exactly what he was.

Indeed it is.  He is also an adult man.

Considering that he attacked a cop, which would seem to be the more pertinent depiction?  Does "teenager" bring to mind a child or a man?

It's called "connotation"; the emotional value of a word rather than the strict meaning.  Very useful when trying to influence the emotions of a listener, not so much when trying to inform.

1. profile image0
                  PrettyPantherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What does it matter? It is a fact, not a personal opinion. You said: "Your 'fact' is little but personal opinion...." which is clearly not true.

The attempt to portray Brown as a child is opinion, not truth.  That the word used was "teenager" is true, but very misleading.  A lie, then, by misdirection

2. wilderness profile image96

No, the cop did not intend to murder anyone (obviously no aforethough).  He didn't even intend to kill until after he was attacked.

"Unlawful" tends to indicate that there is a "lawful".  And if not a man who makes the distinction, who?  You?  Or, just maybe, should we accept the legal definition of the land we live in, which excludes self defense (along with other situations) as "murder"?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12056550.jpg
              Historically many preachers and politicians have claimed that the United States was founded on Christian principles. But one of the most fundamental, and important Christian principle's "Thou Shall Not Kill", has been perverted to accommodate the nature of evil men. According to scripture, the torture and crucifixion of Jesus was necessary in order to save the soul of mankind.  Jesus, who had previously cursed a fig tree which subsequently withered and died, clearly had the power to smite his tormentors and save himself. But he allowed himself to be tormented, to be mocked, and hung upon a cross. It should be clear that the ritual of crucifixion was a horrible way to die. And this is the powerful message of his story: Jesus suffered and died , even for those who despised him and reveled in his misery and destruction.

But men have made excuses for murder, and so have created definitions to distinguish between the different "types of murder", when in reality there is only one kind of murder: Murder is Murder. There is nothing under the sun that mitigates murder in the eyes of God. Not even self-preservation. You have commented:  "And if not a man who makes the distinction, who?  You? " To answer your question: Yes, I am qualified to make judgements, distinctions, author legislation, and enforce the law. Perhaps you are so offended by my candor because you feel that someone of my station would not take the time to post on Hubpages. But you must realize that great Prophets,Philosophers,Executives of Fortune 500 Companies, Politicians, Supreme Court Justices, Sheiks, and even Presidents read and contribute to Hubpages.

Replaying the old myth may keep you occupied, but has nothing to do with the topic here.  Imaginative stories contribute nothing.

May I quote you? 

"Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter)."

Now it's just "Murder is Murder", or whatever definition suits your specific and current purpose.  And while you may consider yourself qualified, the truth is that you are no more qualified than I am and I do not accept that you and you alone may decide what is murder.  That you bring forth mythological entities to "reinforce" your position does nothing to support your position.

lol  No, I'm not offended and neither do I feel that you are above me.  No one that produces the drivel that you do, or constantly finds the need to compliment themselves, is above me.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12056653.jpg
                  Call it what you may. As men of conscience have stood against the tyranny of the past with unpopular concepts and ideas, I too shall persevere and give support to those who understand that love of self,and grandiosity, are seldom displayed publicly, but are often cloaked behind false modesty, hypocritical pandering, and sentiments such as "We Are The World".  Are you also angry with Michael Jordan because he can jump higher and run faster than you? Do you hate the woman in the picture because she is prettier than you?  My self-confidence is more troubling to you than the murder of innocent men , women, and children. I find this quite remarkable, and quite revealing.

I'll grant you that you do not hide your self love or self proclaimed grandiosity.  Most of the tyrants of the past have stood on the same soap box.

But troubling to me?  Not except that those same tyrants were often very charismatic and able to command a large following of people that proceeded to commit some of the worst atrocities in history.

2. Credence2 profile image77
        Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12056437.png

wB, we wouldn't have many going nor available for the law enforcement profession if the IQ requirement were 125 and up. I do think that an average intelligence combined with the ability to use ones head for something other than a hat rack may do nicely. I also think that personality assessment/temperament evaluation testing as a prerequisite to becoming a police officer, weeding the 'Dirty Harry' types, would prove helpful.

We could do with less of a 'Quick Draw McGraw' attitude to law enforcement.

To recap:

I say that although the officer in the Brown shooting was found acting within the bounds of duties, the fact that he obviously fled from the scene without calling ambulances or offering medical attention after the fellow was down was poor judgment and irresponsible. That would be enough for me to terminate the officer's employment  right then and  there.  Add to that, leaving a body lying in the street for five hours, things that most of us would not allow for animal carcasses, showed a lack of humanity and respect that certainly would not warm the community toward the police department.

As for the Rice boy, more of us agreed that again poor judgment created a tragedy from situation that simply could have been more deftly handled. Why drive up on the boy, forcing this lethal confrontation?

These a just a few of many similar tragedies going on around the nation. If I were the mayor of a larger American city, I would task the police department about their policy and procedures to see if I could preclude the likelihood of these unnecessary shootings under my watch.
        Otherwise, I have no  reason to be confident that what happened in Cleveland could not happen in Portland or Denver under similar circumstances. Getting the right cops with the right training would make the difference. So, instead of allowing all this to get swept under the rug with the passage of time a proactive attitude needs to be taken, today.

A very thoughtful poster earlier on said that a police officer needs three outstanding traits; courage, intelligence and compassion. If any one of the three is lacking you are in the wrong business

Thanks for giving that update. 

Yes, sometimes shakedowns are needed.  Hopefully it will help it to not happen again.

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I would never wear that much lip gloss.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19641398

Kathryn this is a very good article you have posted. The British have certainly evolved in this respect far beyond the Neanderthal logic of American law enforcement. Here are some excerpts of a response to the article posted in the sidebar by a Louisiana cop that illustrate the typical dim logic we have become accustomed to:

"What does a British police officer do if someone comes out with a knife? Is he supposed to get out his knife and fight him?

"Our citizens are armed - even the bad ones. The criminal element here is better armed than the police departments most of the times, due to budget constraints.

"It would be impossible for us to do our job if we weren't armed.

Many illegal immigrants came here from England after 1492. Apparently, there was a lot that was lost in the translation.

17. profile image58
    landjassocposted 9 years ago

Too many people are gun-happy these days.  Every day someone somewhere is shooting one or more others for the most stupid of reasons.  School shootings, hostage taking and then shooting, these things must stop NOW and people get back to talking or at least punching.  Why must almost everyone carry a weapon, gun or knife.  People argue over silly things and then without warning warning - BANG  some one is shot, perhaps killed over a pair of shoes or a place in line or  - - - .

18. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

I think cops are analysed psychologically before being hired, but I don't think it is rigorously enough, they need to be put in real situations to measure their fear, and reactions

And if they survive having a gun pulled on them with no training or weapons to back them up...

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What? I didn't say to put them in dangerous situations. Although they usually have on the job training anyway. I'm saying that cops should be hired very carefully
        Fear and reaction can be measured, to actually see how much training they need to be a cop.
        If they react incorrectly, there should be classes they can attend.
        Some cops need to be analysed for psychotic tendencies also..or do you think just anyone should be a cop?

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12061226.jpg
      Absolutely! There is a certain cowardice, not to mention stupidity, involved in pulling up on a kid and gunning him down in less than 2 seconds. The apologists on this thread apparently identify with such men. It is also a fact that it's easier to become a St. Louis police officer than a barber. Read here:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nikolas-k … 40178.html

I had better not be in that list of apologists "in that thread."  I was disagreeing all along, with the very general, sweeping statements that you later said you didn't say.  This is called (among many other things) setting the game to win always.  Its like cheating to win, but in this case, getting to say whatever you want, and when pinned down on it, trying to turn the tables on others. 

Yet here you go acting like they are apologists that identify with such a cop as you describe...That isn't how it is.  That isn't what happened here.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12061484.jpg
          It is your misinterpretation of what I said that has now delivered us to a brand new fiction. You have found a clever way to call me a liar, but regardless of how you and others have attempted to portray my character, I am not offended in the least.

One day, long ago, I was walking down a country road and a large dog came barking loudly and running toward me. Having nowhere to run, I fell on my back and started to bark like a dog while flailing my arms and kicking my feet wildly about. Of course, the dog stopped and ran the other way. And so, because of your previous comments, I am certain that you suppose the moral of the story is obvious. But please, there is more.

I was not concerned so much about the dog, as it may seem, since I had been bitten before.Through my action,  I was talking to God as a human being, instead of speaking meaningless words to an immortal entity, which is what the human / ape does. Why would I offer up such self-serving prayers to God, using beautiful words with reverent meaning, when  such behavior must certainly be offensive. It is God alone who has made the heart that is beating in my chest. It is only the one almighty God who knows my true intention. Instead of always looking at the words, perhaps you would understand more by also looking at the heart of a man.

I have stood up to some of the things that you have said in this thread, and they most all have to do with the more sweeping statements about police and this country and its history and all people of all time and our broken nature that makes us act out.  You in the prior comment, said that we "apologists" in this thread, which you referred to me at least once before, apparently identify with the police officer that shot a child in less than 2 seconds of pulling up to the scene, and whatever else.  If that was directed toward people like me, I am simply saying that is not true.  I said you couldn't know his heart, that kind of thing.  Its all still there. 

You may not believe me, but this is true.  I actually do think a little bit deeper than you are giving credit for, and doubt you want to be as super harsh a judge as you keep coming off.  That is based on some other things you have said and a "sense" that I get also.  I do want to look at the heart, and pay attention to everything.  So this is why I raise the fuss I do. I don't think YOU are doing that though, in fairness.   I sense a disconnect, things breaking down, with you, a person that seems on the other hand to care very much about certain things. 

I am not making up something, or misinterpreting things. Perhaps you don't pay close attention to the very harsh words you share about people you don't even know, like police, and all people in a time frame?  The quotes are there, WB.  If you back off the harsh untruths, then you won't have any issue from me, and we could perhaps just discuss the things you really want to.  I see you as upset and so angry, you don't even want to care what you are saying, or perhaps even how serious you want to be taken.  I can only go by your words.  None of this is brand new either, not a new fiction.  I don't think you want to lie, nor intend to.  To exaggerate to get a response though, well what would you rather me call that?  I didn't say that either....  You did.

Compare me to whatever you like, just know that all you say has to work or "go through" actually, to be true.  I have your words to go by, and have my words to respond with.  I esteem things like morality, logic and reason, and care very much about life lost.  You too, look to the hearts of people.  I am a real person, that cares about all of these things, and doesn't auto sympathize with police like you describe. 

Now, I am not sure you ever heard any of my points, and only think that.   I didn't know it would all be for naught, if it was.

2. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)