Hub hopping without the Hub Hopper, and I am simply appalled

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Shades-of-truth profile image81
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I just wanted to share the experience I had, in the last 30 minutes. I am at one of my businesses, so I can only look at a few hubs a day. Today, I decided to do my own Hub hopping, without using the official Hub Hopper.

One of the Hubbers who happens to have a lot more hubs published than I do, has articles that are replete with typos, grammatical errors, and overall low quality information.

According to what the Hubber writes, Hub Pages is viewed as their own personal blog. The term is used frequently to describe their activity here.

I was simply appalled, as the Hubber has many, many published hubs. The majority of them should not be published here at all, simply due to the quality of them. I did send some reports, so someone can view them.

Is there no way to stop hubs that are full of "fluff", from ever being published in the first place? They are featured hubs, too.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing what passes the QAP, that's all I can say.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I thought QAP was doing a decent job until that hub about Wild Tigers in the Wild came along. I know the QAP is not perfect, but yikes!

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do think you were right about that being a troll's hub.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
            SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe so, but troll or not, that article should never have passed QAP.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Shades - I agree with you.  I spent quite a few days reporting some very spammy hubs and accounts, and nothing came of it. I am not clear why hubs with 50 or more ads and very little text doesn't get moderated, but those hubs are still published.

Either the standards here are indeed standards (and are objective), or they're vague goals that are subjectively applied based on something else. I've sometimes wondered if crappy content is retained simply because it gets traffic. If so, then the site will never truly move forward.

And, as Calculus Geometry says, too many hubs filled with errors or spam still get by the QAP.

3. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, why are these hubs in the hub hopping in the first place?

Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

peachpurple,

They were not in the Hub Hopper. I was hub hopping independent of that tool. So often, I have found horrendously written articles here on HP, by simply browsing through the categories. Sometimes I put a few words into the search option at the top of our Hub Pages page, and find them in that manner.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image81
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

To calculus-geometry and Marcy,

Unbelievable, isn't it? What astounds me, is that there are many articles published here that do not begin to attain the standards that I was taught in elementary school. However, other articles, written coherently with helpful content, have difficulty getting published or featured. I have read many posts on the forums, from competent Hubbers, asking why an article was unpublished. Often, when I peruse their work, it appears to be impeccable.

We need the across-the-board standards. Until that happens, all I can think to do to help, is to offer to edit - which I do - and report low quality hubs.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Shades - I agree (again!) - I do think the site is working hard to develop a system that has consistent standards and reliable ways to measure them.  With hundreds of thousands of hubs posted, it's not an easy task.

It's particularly discouraging when we try to flag bad content and nothing happens. Either my idea of basic, acceptable quality is way off target, or there are factors we don't know about being applied to the mix.  I don't expect college-level writing, but content should at least be original, legible and have had a brief trip through Spell Check.

+1, Marcy. Unfortunately, the spell check option does not detect things like:

"Wish there children would behave."
        "I seen a bird in the tree."
        "How you eat effects you're attitude."
        "Theirs something wrong with me."
        "I went too the store, two get some fishes."
        "The deers went threw the fence, because it was full of wholes that we don't have time two fix, because we are all to busy."

All of the words are correct, but their usage is not. I read fast, and type fast, and will be glad to help anyone who sincerely wants help editing. It is something I enjoy, when I get the chance.

It is simply beyond my comprehension, that so many hubs are afflicted by low quality content.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

You're very supportive to offer that help to others.  Sadly, I think many of those who could use the help don't even realize they have problems.

Marcy, I actually enjoy doing it. Often, it results in a writer starting to catch their own typos. Occasionally, whoever I am helping actually realizes that they have been using certain words incorrectly for years, and they make a "lifetime change". That, is gratifying.

It seems to me that we have a large enough community here on HP, of writers who are experienced at handling the written word, to help others who are struggling. In the long run, it should help HP be recognized as a competent "go-to" place for excellent information.

I tend to shrink away from sites that are full of "drivel", and can only assume others do the same.

Agree with you, that some do not realize they need the help.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
              Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My experience here is it is not appreciated when I alert someone to a misspelled or misused word. I am very thankful myself and want it caught and changed as soon as possible if there is error in any of my writings but seems that is not the norm.

Jackie,
                My experience here, and elsewhere over the years, is that the authors greatly appreciate someone alerting them to an error. To date, no one has been ungrateful.

Like you, I appreciate a "heads-up". We can all miss our own typos.

3. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 9 years ago

That the articles are published is not too surprising, the surprising part is that they're featured; which means they're visible to the search engines; which means they can affect the site. I wonder how that happened; it occurs to me they are old Hubs that haven't even gone through QAP, I've seen some of those; at least, they looked like that to me, I don't know technically if it's true, but some Hubs appear to be pretty old and I've assumed they haven't gone through QAP, especially considering the quality of some of them.

The feature/unfeature function is meant to keep low-quality work from affecting the site because the search engines don't even see them. For this reason, it seems to me, hypothetically, a person could publish personal blog-style posts (though, not technically supposed to because this site is meant for magazine-style articles) and still have them on their subdomain, I suppose for their own readership or just because they like it. That's what I assume when I see Hubs that don't look like articles but look like something put together for followers or they are blog-style posts.

4. GiftsByDiana profile image49
    GiftsByDianaposted 9 years ago

Sad, but too often true  sad
    This was/is one of the issues that upset so many of us that came over from Squidoo.  We were having a tough time in getting some of our pages featured while we saw so much "garbage" that was. 
    So often, when we asked why, we were berated about "quality" which certainly was true in some cases, but not in comparison to some of the featured non-ex-squidoo pages.  This made many feel unwanted here at H.P. so they left.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)