Are You A Generous Hub Hopper?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 9 years ago

I just started noticing the Hub Hopper and have tried it three times now. So reading the FAQ's I found that Hopper's can influence your score. I know, we should not be obsessed with The Score, but....I can't help it.

I think they give you test hubs to access your scoring and then they give you real Hubs. Do you tend to rate generously, I am defining generous here to equal honestly. Is that possible generous = honest?

Or do you rate on the low side. This style of rating could help Hubber's improve their pages.

Also, are the Hopper's the reason why the scores keep hopping up and down?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was told that you shouldn't be generous, just honest. Otherwise your ranking won't even count eventually. I was told this by a staff member ages ago.

paperfacetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I suppose you need to be in a teacher and think of it as grading papers, be impartial. 

Hey, do the males in the community Hop Hubs? I realize now from another thread there has been a "change up" on how the Hopper is presented. I know this is not baseball, but is that a signal to think and react faster? Do you get confused or do you try to swing. I do both.

1. profile image0
          t aaron brownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just started in the HubPage community. I normally "hop" where ever I'm participating at. I might not always be searching for topic or content. I like to observe writing styles and learn from others.

2. profile image0
      t aaron brownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thought I knew what hopping was, but I spoke too soon. The first one I got was under 200 words. Is that normal? I had to rate it low. The second was under 500 words. Nice, but I thought that there was a minimum requirement.

I had to stop. Someone tell me if this is normal. I didn't want to keep failing hubs. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

t aaron, sorry to say we covered that earlier in the thread. haha, you didn't read it. oh, well. The first Hubs they throw at you are test Hubs or feeler Hubs. If you rated them low that probably tells the program that you indeed know what a crappy Hub is.

After a few of those you get real Hubber's Hubs.

So try it again. I think you get tester Hubs each time.

3. profile image0
      bobtyndallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

paperfacets, where did you get the idea that you where seeing test hubs. How would anyone know who was hopping hubs and what would be the point of doing that?

2. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I tried it twice and I just rated it the way I would rate any thing presented to me. I got a bit confused though but maybe as you've said what I got were the tester hubs. I did not find it meaningful so I never tried it again.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I don't like the new version, so I stopped hopping hubs.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't either, so I stopped also.

4. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I do it every now and again to relieve boredom! I find that a lot of the Hubs appear to be spam or poorly spun copies and I think they are included to see if we report them. After one or two like that you seem to get real Hubs to rate and often they are really good. It can get depressing as you think how could I write that well?

Every time I try it I get different stuff and it is quite time consuming to do properly. I have had afew Hubs where they start great and then go to gibberish and vice versa I think they slip these in to ensure you are not cheating and actually read the whole Hub before rating it.

I think it works quite well, but definitely explains why ratings jump around a lot. New Hubbers probably rate all over the place for a while. My Hubber and Hub scores seem to be settling down now after 3 months here.

1. Marketing Merit profile image84
      Marketing Meritposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree.
      Also, there used to be a 'skip hub' button which seems to have disappeared from my screen.
      A lot of the hubs that I have been asked to hop are not of any interest to me. It becomes a chore to have to rate these in order to get to the next hub.

5. paperfacets profile image86
    paperfacetsposted 9 years ago

I think we have to get by the spam or test Hubs. Those with just a paragraph would definitely rate low on organization and if you read the whole hub and start finding grammar errors I would think too, it is a test Hub. I did not realize it included a spam button too.

Thanks for pointing that out.

6. Joel Diffendarfer profile image85
    Joel Diffendarferposted 9 years ago

I am addicted to Hub hopping.  It is actually part of my routine.  I will usually hop two or three hubs or until I get tired of reading or until a subject of a hub or quality turns me off.  I feel as if I grade fairly...when there is a poll or quiz, I take it...What's always fun is when you meet an author in which you have read their work.  I'm not sure how or if it affects your score--I mainly do it to teach my self from others examples.  I have learned so much from Hub hopping...Good question.

7. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

The best way to help the Hubber and HubPages is to rate them accurately - honestly accordingly to the rating scale. In that way, the people who need improvement know that there is room for improvement and the people who are doing well are rewarded.  I score student essays on my job, and when I started, I often tried to be generous, because I didn't like giving out the low scores.  But then I realized that it wasn't fair to the kids who earned the higher scores.  That, and we too have papers interspersed that are there just to check to make sure we are being fair and consistent.

8. Fcuk Hub profile image61
    Fcuk Hubposted 9 years ago

And now stupid question, what's the Hub Hopper?

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Go to Your account and the Hopper button is at the top left try it and see how it works. Then come back and let us know your opinion of it.

9. Lady Lorelei profile image86
    Lady Loreleiposted 9 years ago

I am a little too busy with updating and Christmas promotion but hopefully around spring I will have extra time to hop more hubs than I currently do.

1. naturegirl7s profile image87
      naturegirl7sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I used to Hop Hubs before they changed it. I can't slide the bars on my iPad and the "classic mode" is gone. I can only assume that like quizes, hopping hubs is not possible on an iPad. That seems counter productive, because this activity could be done while waiting in doctor's offices, airports, etc.

I agree. Hopping would be a good time occupation waiting in the doctor's office. Heart doctor's must be few because I spend hours in heart doctor's offices.

10. profile image0
    bobtyndallposted 9 years ago

I used to hop hubs but found the quality of the hubs I was seeing to be very poor. So I stopped. Waste of time in my opinion.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I do not like the new format, so I no longer hop hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)