Duplication Moderation Doesn't Make Sense...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. kbdressman profile image60
    kbdressmanposted 9 years ago

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I wrote a hub about Mormons being Christians from an inside perspective.  A few days after it was published it got moderated for duplication.  However, the only hubs I can find on the subject have the exact OPPOSITE thesis as my hub did.  They are all from former members or people or don't believe Mormons are Christians.  Can anyone find one that is from a mormon?  Or explains how, in fact, Mormons ARE Christians?  Any reccomendations on what I should do to get my hub re-published?

2. SuperBrainwave LM profile image94
    SuperBrainwave LMposted 9 years ago

If you copied and posted a long quote from another source, that might have been what got you pulled up.  It is done automatically by software, so it happens even when the source you pulled it from is not copyrighted.

That would seem to be the most likely explanation.  You copied a sections from, say, a holy book, to use to back up your argument, but the software interpreted it as copying.

I can only speculate without seeing the actual article you wrote.  The software that decides copying doesn't understand the actual content/meaning of a piece, by the way, it's pretty crude.

kbdressmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That makes perfect sense.  I put two good sized quotes in the hub.  Both are cited and in quotations.  Is there some way to have a human review the hub and get it fixed?  Or do I just have to remove the quotes?

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Here is where HubPages explains duplicate content.  Historically, quoting the Bible seems to mess people up the most because they put too many quotes in the content and not enough original content.  (If your quotes are only a tiny % of the content, the filters don't get tripped.)

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732309

Thanks for the link.  I understand wanting to prevent plagarism, but it seems really dumb that we can't use substantial quotes to back up our points!

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can use substantial quotes to back up your points....as long as your original writing composes the other 95% of the text content.

It's a ratio.

Some people who get a duplicate content warning on a quote Hub will trim their quotes.  Some will opt to write more original content.

Thanks!  I'll probably just link to the longer quote.  How long after I fix it is it re-checked?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why is it dumb?   HubPages has to do a cost/benefit analysis for every feature.   An automated robot can't tell the difference between content that's been stolen and content that's being quoted - the only measure it can use is how much has been copied.  So to allow long quotes, HP would have to employ human moderators to check a Hub every time there's a big chunk of copied content.  People have to be paid - so that's not financially viable.   Sure, it's a bit inconvenient for people who want to use large quotes, but they are a minority of Hubbers.

It wouldn't be that hard for an automated program to note the use of quotation marks or have the program flag potentially duplicate hubs for a human to double check though.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you had a filter that required human involvement, you've still got to pay that human - so that wouldn't work.

If a filter just allowed duplication through based on whether it had quotation marks, plagiarists would soon cotton on to that trick and use quotation marks on everything.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If the quotes are from public domain sources you can probably get this cleared with manual moderation.  If they are not then the quotes might be getting a tad long to fly under fair use.

I'm pretty sure they are.  I know one is.  I guess I could just post a link to the second document.  Do you know how soon after a moderated hub has been edited it's re-checked?  It is immediately? or does it take 24 hours like the initial check?

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

It appears you've got your problem figured out, but because of the way you worded your original post, I just want to add that duplicate content refers to any content on the web -- not just on HubPages. HP wants all content to be original and not found anywhere else on the world-wide web, so if you have posted the article on your blog, church website or elsewhere, it is considered duplicate content.

One solution for quotes (which I have not used personally but have seen others write about) is making the quote a photo rather than type -- for example, typing the quote into an MS Paint document, saving it as a jpeg, and putting the jpeg in your article as a photo. This way, bots do not read it as type and filters do not pick it up. Depending upon how long the passage is, this may or may not work for you.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is a good solution. You can copy and paste the  quote into a Paint text box, with a nice coloured background  and a catchy Title. Now it becomes a Pinterest image which, when pinned, provides a useful back-link to your hub. Must make sure the type is easily readable though.
      I did this with the anonymous quote printed here. It appears full width on  one f my hubs.  Please enlarge (Ctr.+)  to read.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6681054_f248.jpg

Thanks for the idea!  I'll have to do that and go back and put the quotes back in when I have a few minutes!  I appreciate it!

6. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 9 years ago

For National Poetry Day last year, I wrote  a Hub about that, and I quoted a poem from a favorite author.  I had the same problem with duplication.
    The thing that amazes me is I see Hubs with complete lyrics from songs!  I stay away from any quotes now.

I'll probably avoid longer quotes as well now.  Although, now that I understand how it's calculated I'll know how to check my own hubs before they are published so I can use quotes and still not get hit for duplication!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)