Downgrading of commenters

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. diogenes profile image69
    diogenesposted 9 years ago

If you reach a high level as a commenter on other's hubs, what right does HP Editors have to downgrade your status based on your output?  This donkey and carrot encouragement only annoys contributors who feel equally competent to make comments regardless of number of articles written, after they have reached a high level.earlier.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The commenter accolade is one of a few that are rolling accolades - they reflects your level over a certain period of time, so they can change as your activity changes.

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bob - I went to bed one night as a level 8 and woke us as a level 6.  Not sure what I did wrong while I was sleeping.

Mike

1. brakel2 profile image74
        brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is really hysterical. Someone dreamed about you, and made you what you became in the AM. I never heard of dropping two levels. I suggest you stay at your level, as too many changes upset people.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Indeed, it is just an automated description of your recent activity--no person is involved in setting it.

3. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

I have to wonder with you Bob.  When I hurt my back I was unable to write here for almost two months.  My commenter level dropped, obviously.  However, when I came back it went up but never reached the level it was before my back injury.  Just sayin.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Stop worrying about your comment levels and ignore the gamification.  It works really well.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is a curious gamification though, relache. I was at Level 6 for a long time until dropping to Level 5. Never understood why.  I've been there for over a year now. I know I comment more now than I used to 2 years ago. Like tillsontitan, just sayin'.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's not curious.  It's designed to stimulate your participation, and motivate you if you have dropped off in interaction.

People who almost never comment in the forums will come screaming into the forums when their comment level drops.  Other users give them a talk-down, admin doesn't have to do anything and boom, new interactions spin off just like intended.

Yes, it's all a game. smile

Keeping people interested and interactive with your product or service isn't a game to the business owners.  I've helped design interaction/reward strategies for web sites.

1. Sed-me profile image79
              Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm offering free samples of my work today. Anyone who would like to sample my product may go directly to my page by clicking on my picture. If this venture is successful, I may continue the giveaway for an undisclosed amount of time.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
                Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OH good, I love free samples! (But I probably won't comment, because I don't want to disrupt my commenter score.)

1. Sed-me profile image79
                  Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol. But every comment is rewarded with a coupon for 50 cents off my next hub.

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. diogenes profile image69

It doesn't bother me.  But it must devalue one's comments to the hubbers.  Same with the other whatsitcalled?  the hub score?  I was on 100 for maybe two years.  When unable to contribute the same level of articles, down it went to the 79 or so it is today.  Again, I am not bothered nor spurred into publishing a greater quantity...never was.  I guess there are just so many contributers now, it's like "it takes all sorts to make a world." Some are urged on; others, not.  The end result for the HP site owners. of course, is to up their revenue.
    To summarize.  I don't think it's a bad thing to get new hubbers in gear and producing, but I think once you have reached the dizzy heights of a high hub and comment score, you should have "made your bones" and be left with the humble honors you have earned, along with the respect this garners you from the peers.  All a storm in the old teacup I guess.
    Diogenes

HubScore is not dependent on your output, it depends on the quality of your content.

And if you don't keep up with the content changes here and new guidelines, your score will go down. 

By the way, your writerly habit of making playful titles comes off as unclear and vague to the automated programs that search engines run.  Making a Hub about container gardening and jokingly calling the Hub "pot plants" has the effect of Google thinking that page is about marijuana, and that Hub has probably been penalized just for you being clever.

Actually, your account is exactly the sort of thing HubPro wants to fix.

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bob - I guess having my score lowered would be upsetting if I cared about it, but I don't.  There a far more important things in this world to worry about.

I pretty much gave up on trying to stay current with the constant rule changes Hub Pages makes.  Their rule book changes faster than the income tax codes here in the USA.

6. diogenes profile image69

Relache:  I didn't post this on Forums in order to receive the benefit of your erudite wisdom and considered criticism.  You seem to think all who post articles on HP are motivated by the almighty dalah!  I love my imaginative and often very clever (been told) titles.  And I bet you couldn't have thought of half of them - and that's giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    You are starting sound like some bountiful know-all, distributing the ultimate word in article writing from on high! 
    What nonsense that a hub score depends on content alone! And if that is true, then, why, you must think highly of me, I was on 100 for a long time.
    Critics criticise in the main because they are not up to producing the entertaining writing of those who receive their often prejudiced and acid observations.  Listen Relache:  I have written 1000 to 1500 word articles for upwards of thirty years in various journals and newspapers.  And I have published several books.  I don't know whether my "life score" as a writer is higher than yours, but I do know better than criticise people before my opinions were asked for. 
    So I am just the sort Hubpages wants to "Fix?" The day Hubpages wants to me to "fix" all of my articles with titles they like, based on squeezing the last drop out of reader's ad. hits, is the time we say "adios amigos!"  Thanks for the good times and all that.  Got it, Relache??  Get a life away from comments might be a good idea, you're on here too much.
    Diogenes
    Diogenes of the fancy titles!  VIVA!

7. diogenes profile image69

Relache.  Just like to add that, amusingly, I had no double entendre in mind when I called that hub Pot Plants.  And I doubt that all readers immediately thought, "Aha, druuuugs!"  In fact, you see pot plants are advertised for sale in stores and in gardening mags. everywhere.  Guess what these devious writers and editors call them?

You got it "Pot Plants."  And I'll bet not one publisher worries that his readers or shoppers are thinking Marijuana!  Pot!  By goodness I'll buy this aspidistra and smoke the liddle devil right away!!!
    Diogenes.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image71
      Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just to back you up on that it is called "pot plants", in New Zealand not indoor plants.
      I made a lens on that subject, which when I wrote it I had no idea that other parts of the word thought I was writing about drugs. It was deleted, now I have that same article on HubPages, but called it "indoor plants", and now it's all good.
      Have a nice day. smile

8. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

Around here everyone calls a plant in a pot a "potted plant."

+1

9. profile image0
    abrodechposted 9 years ago

Your commentator status is constantly changing because it's based on your current rate of activity, so if you want to be level 9 or whatever, you have to stay active commenting. But if you take a break for a while and don't post comments on hubpages, your commentator status will go back down. It's basically hubpages way of motivating you to stay active and involved on the site if you want to keep that rating. Personally I don't really care about it, because there's more important things in life than being a level 9 commentator. Just focus on getting views and earnings because that's what really matters on here.

Anya

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)