A little good news for a change

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (38 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12806675_f520.jpg
    I'm seeing an uptick in views the past few days, today being the best.  I'm wondering if anybody else is having this same thing happen?  It's in both subdomains, but in my main one, views have doubled.  Almost afraid  to like it because it seems odd for my stuff at this time of year.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Things got better for me after Christmas. I've concluded Christmas just isn't a good traffic time, but things pick up afterward.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Usually my views don't pick up until Spring.  I wonder how many others are seeing increases.

1. Will Apse profile image90
          Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I saw a boost yesterday but now it is gone back to pre-christmas levels. Hope yours hangs around.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
            SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ditto here.  I had some minor excitement on 26/27, then yesterday that slowed and I'm now back to the dismally low pre-Christmas levels.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, looking good. And I have high hopes for January.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great news, TT2! Mine is also up for the end of the year, and I hope to hear it is that way for almost everyone.

Me, too, because if it is, it means that the changes are making a positive effect on the site!

3. gerimcclym profile image95
      gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm especially seeing a rise in traffic (after Christmas) for my article on selling stuff successfully on craigslist. hmm...I suspect it may be for the Christmas gifts received but not liked...

4. profile image57
      jerrycarmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been reading your hub about everthing is upticking and you are wondering what is going on. It is winter time and everybody is inside with nothing to do . So you better like it and get some more on there ok?

5. Jasmeetk profile image80
      Jasmeetkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have also seen increase in traffic...

6. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

2. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

I can't tell - someone shared an article on FB that usually get 3 views a day at best, and now it's getting 2600 views a day.  It is also peppering other hubs with views, so good news for me - probably my best month ever on HP. But I expect it to end shortly. Still nice to know we can get noticed and have a little unexpected run!

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

Well, no matter what happens down the road: CONGRATULATIONS on a best month ever.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

That's fantastic!  I only had something like that happen once...when I was writing for Yahoo.  I was green back then and didn't know what was happening, but a little nothing article I wrote got 10,000 views over two weeks.  God that felt good!

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I bet it did!  I was considering removing the article, since it was not getting many views.  Here is a case for letting articles that don't get many views to stay featured.  You never know when lightning may strike.

I shared this article once on FB and once on Google+ a year ago, so how someone found it is beyond me lol.

3. Shadrack2 profile image42
    Shadrack2posted 8 years ago

Great news indeed. Keep doing whatever you are doing?

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Glad you had some good news.

I have some news too.

HubPages just rejected a hub of mine as not meeting their quality standards.  That will probably be the last page I create on this site.

If they seriously think they can judge my quality in any way whatsoever - they are sadly misguided.  And if they think that will make a shred of difference to the way Google etc. treat this site - well OK, back to the usual garbage that exists the whole web over.

So from that pov I am not particularly happy.

In terms of product sales though - I am very happy.  They just won't be coming from HubPages.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Now you know how I felt when HP peed all over my infamous armadillo hub. lol

Oh, well. What can we do...?

Btw, that armadillo is still alive and well and collecting views elsewhere. I have no doubt your hub will do the same. smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  It is not the first time but I gave it another shot.  500 words and original writing plus pictures is not enough for them.  Lol.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

Even if you no longer write hubs here, many of us would miss your participation in these forums. Your POV is different than most and, since most of them are full of those guru writings that tell you how to make a fortune without getting up from your chair, we appreciate your comments (and even those occassional stick drawings).

Thanks DrM!  I expect the forums will still be my go to place for light relief - have to try to stem my moaning, and cartoons.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

...and I especially enjoy the humor.  Sometimes it just makes my whole day!

3. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You should put it through again. You have to remember that QAP is usually performed by people for whom English is a second (or third or fourth...) language and that humor is a very nuanced part of language that requires a fairly high level of fluency to understand. Culture may even play a part in whether or not a joke makes sense, even if the language skills are adequate to the task.

I try to avoid publishing humor or weird philosophical stuff in the evening to slightly reduce the chances of QAP being done by non-native English speakers overnight when it's prime working hours for industrious people on the other side of the planet.

This is not intended as an insult to people who aren't extremely fluent in English, but as a realistic recognition of the fact that it's damned hard to "get" humor or understand philosophical musings in a language that isn't your mother tongue. I sure as heck don't get jokes in German so I'd be crap at telling if a German language page of humorous writing was any good at all. We can't expect the people who survive on Amazon Turk to all be language geniuses.

Thanks Kylyssa.  It was more about sales than humour but written in that style of course.  It''s what I do.

I am happy to put it where it should be - on my own site.

4. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh No! - Try adding some extra limbs to your stick figures. Maybe a cat too.

Lol - both of those are great suggestions but it has been moved to my site.

There it will be gradually improved, edited, whatever.  It might get traffic.  Might not.,  But no one will be telling me what I can and can't do.

2016 should be a good year.

1. NateB11 profile image88
          NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mark, just wanted to say that I don't know how one of your pieces could get rejected for quality. Everything I've read of yours has been well-written, often compelling, often humorous and at times down-right heart-rending in a good way (making reference to your piece Winnie the Pooh takes Christopher Robin Home--which I now only find as a Pin on Pinterest with a broken link).

Let me know if your Christopher Robin piece is still on the Net. Hope it is.

Thanks Nate!  I unpublished WP takes CR home meaning to put it elsewhere but somehow got distracted onto other things.  I may find a home for it some time.

5. Kristen Howe profile image90
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

If you've gotten a NFQ, you need to fix the hub for grammar and check the ad capsules for any spammy elements. Make sure your hubs are 700 words or longer.  It doesn't hurt to edit it and send it out again to get published. It worked for me in the past.

Hi Kristen - thanks.  The brief article exists to sell some stickman product.  It is written... PERFECTLY.. in a familiar slangish open style - ideally aimed at the target audience.

It is not dreary dull Wiki style.  It does not have INFORMATION.  It is about a product.  I switched ADS off because - laughingly - I did not want HP SPAM ads everywhere.

This is the second time on HP I have tried the style that I KNOW works - because the whole frigging internet is doing it.

It will take moments to move (repurpose) the material to my own site which is where I was originally thinking of putting it.  I gave HP a chance.  Hey well.

As for my changing a single word, capsule or picture to fit their rules - no way.  Ten minutes wasted - not the end of the world.

2. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This would be great advice for a new user who doesn't write humor and whose hubs exhibit poor grammar and contain spammy links. You can find out about a hubber's level of English-language proficiency and link usage by looking at his or her profile and body of hubs. I find doing so saves me from the embarrassment of writing something that sounds condescending to a long-time user.

6. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Yes, seeing an increase, especially day after Christmas. I'm thinking people searching for sales, using their new devices, surfing while visiting family for the holidays? Whatever it is, it is indeed good news, TIMETRAVELER2. Happy New Year!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Darned good indeed, https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US And note Monday being higher than Sunday; that hasn't happened in many, many weeks I believe.

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christmas day was the worst day I have had in a long time but since then the tide has really turned.  I am very pleased.

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 years ago

Just the normal annual trend for me.  Traffic building through November/December, then tapering off in the week up to Christmas.  Dead for a couple of days on Christmas Eve/Day, then busy for a couple of days then starting to wind down for New Year.

Generally there is always a little Christmas afterglow, I've noticed.

8. kalinin1158 profile image93
    kalinin1158posted 8 years ago

I'm seeing a spike in traffic on a hub that's completely non holiday-related, and there is a small spillover effect on other hubs. Not sure why, I just assumed that this particular hub finally reached its mature stage (2 years). But then again, it's the only one that's picking up more traffic than usual. And when I checked, it was on the first page of Google results! Mysterious...

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Things do indeed seem to be improving around here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)