Just found out my wife and I are having a baby girl

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Ruben Rivera profile image59
    Ruben Riveraposted 13 years ago

So my wife had the ultrasound and the technician goes " I'm pretty sure it's a girl" so at that point I started thinking "how should I start my gun collection?" yeah I started thinking about when she starts dating and all these thoughts came to my mind, how will I protect her, will I be a good dad, and so on?

So any dads out there with any advice on raising daughters, what's your technique to scare away dates, lol just kidding.

I'm just concerned, want to protect my baby girl, wow can't wait for when she's born.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

congrats man...not dad yet so can't give any inputs on that...

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! I have a year old daughter, so she's not dating yet - so I'm sorry but I can't give any advice.

I have written a guide for helping new dads deal with pregnancy, birth and babies however! smile

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great.

1. Mark Bronze profile image58
        Mark Bronzeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great news. Best wishes to all of you. Your daughter will start to outsmart you when she turns three so don't waste money on a gun. lol

3. lyndre profile image59
      lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats. just enjoy every day as they grow up quicker than you think.
      I know because any day now my daughter is going to make me a grandad for the first time,and it doesn,t seem that long ago she was only a baby herself.

4. lakeerieartists profile image62
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  I have two daughters, 17, and 13, and I am so thrilled to be their mom, but my older daughter is just starting to date, and I can tell that my husband is totally freaking out!  We don't have any guns, but that is probably best, or some boys out there might be in danger.  LOL.

Really though, enjoy your daughter.  smile

2. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Congrats! you sound so excited and happy .. so lovely
    Never had daughters myself would have loved one..  just enjoy the waiting period taking good care of the Mom to be.. smile

3. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Awesome very happy for you! My brother just had a baby, first kid of our generation of kids, everyone is so excited. Babies can certainly brighten up your day!

4. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Firstly, Congratulations I hope you and your wife are blessed with a happy, healthy and beautiful daughter.

Secondly, you and your wallet have my condolences, as explained in portions of this rather long-winded hub,  http://hubpages.com/hub/readytoescapesobservations,

Though you may just want to skip down to section “Beautiful Predators” or especially “Boys vs. Girls”

As to the Gun collection, my experience shows for tweener boys, long guns and a disdainful glare are the most impressive, as these boys become teenagers especially those that hold a driver’s license, large caliber handguns are the most intimidating.

I recommend the one I chose, a .44 caliber Stainless Steel, Ruger Redhawk, with a 7 ¼ “ barrel, it will pretty much stop a 350 cu. Engine at a hundred yards dead in it’s tracks, or blow right through the tail gate and the back seat to take out the rogue driver past curfew get away.

The below method works as well as a deterrent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQYSZaGSP0

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Congratulations on your impending fatherhood. Gawd help you 13 years down the line, but that's another worry!
    As a mum of 5 daughters - I can say been that done that, got the T-shirt, but I wouldn't swap my girls for anything!

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...congrats....don't know what it'll be like in the future...call block came in handy for me at one time....doesn't work that way now...and whisperin' the rules to the boys over and over....figured they'd remember my words and have me in their thoughts and see my face when the time was right (or i should say wrong?) smile......just enjoy and don't worry about later for now....smile

7. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Congrats!  Girls ROCK!  big_smile

8. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I'm so excited for you!

9. georgiecarlos profile image60
    georgiecarlosposted 13 years ago

Congratulations! And I may not be a parent but maybe I can share a few things from a daughter's point of view? Try not to be too overbearing because when your daughter will reach that age and might want to get to know a few boys, if you don't allow her or too strict, this might cause a few arguments between the two of you. Why not just try to establish a really good and open relationship, so that she feels she can run to you for everything, no matter how awkward or embarrassing. And through that, you both can set certain agreements or boundaries (like curfews, etc)and am sure she will be more willing to listen and follow your requests. Well, it worked for me smile

And if this doesn't help, you can always go for the gun thing big_smile My dad does not show his guns but whenever a boy visits me, my Dad displays his huge trophies he won in various shooting competitions smile Haha!

Good luck and congratulations again!

10. Ruben Rivera profile image59
    Ruben Riveraposted 13 years ago

Wow so much experience in here, and thanks to all the replies for your kind words and advice, I will certainly take notes.  I am in the Marines so I have always pondered, should I raise my kids military style, moderate military, not military, wow so many choices lol, seriously though my baby girl is not even born and yet I feel i have to protect her already, it's a good feeling.

Can't wait.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Congratulations! smile big_smile

12. rotl profile image59
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Congratulations man! How exciting. I don't have a daughter yet, but I share your concerns. I am freaked about guys, dating etc. Us guys, we know what (most) guys are like, and that scares me to death too.

All the best wishes to you.

13. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

How wonderful and God Bless !

14. kirutaye profile image66
    kirutayeposted 13 years ago

Lovely news. Congratulations!

My husband is the same way; overprotective of his little girl.
    Our daughter is 5 and she came home the other day from school and said "Mum, Charlie is my boyfriend."

And i thought, "Ah, isnt that sweet?"

My hubby was more like, "He better keep away from her"

Lol.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image59
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! I am happy for you. smile

15. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Congratulations! smile

16. Precious Pearl profile image74
    Precious Pearlposted 13 years ago

A child is such a precious gift!  Congratulations!!

17. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Congratulations! Any day now my husband will have his fourth girl (she's a week past her estimated due date), and he seems to be going through the very same thought processes since the moment he found out I was pregnant...he decided from the start that this would be a girl, so when the ultrasound proved him right it didn't really change his thinking.

For scaring dates...well, I hear with his oldest he did a pretty darn good job of that by just happening to be sharpening axes when her date turned up, and had a nice long talk with him about how important how his daughter is treated is to him...along with a short run-down of my husband's previous temper issues, including inciting two riots. It didn't work too well for scaring the date AWAY, but he was scared enough to treat her really well for the year and a half they were together wink. That said, he does have one of those sunshiney personalities that really makes people want to take him at his word rather than test just how much he'll enjoy carrying out his promises.

18. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Awww what great news! You sound like you will probaby be a great dad just by the enthusiasm you express here, try not to worry too much. Dads and daughters seem to have a special bond, guess Moms and sons have a similar special bond smile

19. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Congratulations! I am reaching for my cigar drawer as I type smile

As for protecting your daughter later on, just be there for her and always let her know that you are.

20. matherese profile image61
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

congratulations

21. Revu2007 profile image60
    Revu2007posted 13 years ago

Wonderful news - congrats! Happy for you both smile

22. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Thats Cool, Congratulations Man...

23. profile image49
    Lia Voldeposted 8 years ago

Some future parents always get this scare. There is a great way to cope - seminars for future parents and role-playing games. These two ways usually make all the doubts vanish!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)