Who Authorised the Change of Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday

Jump to Last Post 51-78 of 78 discussions (196 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I was looking for the verse the other day and could not find it.
         One of the disciples was speaking of how people were worshiping.  He said to not give special regard to the full moon or this or that and no not even the sabbath.
         I was wanting to re-examine exactly how this was worded????

1. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jerami, as previously mentioned there are quite a few scriptural verses showing that the apostles changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday because Jesus was resurrected on the first day of the week.  That is what Pope John Paul II meant when he said the Catholic Church changed it, the apostles being the first of the Catholic (universal) Church.

I had not realized that the Baptismal fonts are 8 sided for this same reason though, as rdlang05 mentions just above.  Pretty cool.   

Col. 2:16 looks like the verse you are referring to.  Isaias 1:13 refers to it too.

------------------------------------------

Sunday has been the new Sabbath since Jesus Christ's resurrection which was on a Sunday the first day of the week (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; John 20:1,19).

Acts 20:7 "And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight."

The first day of the week is Sunday.

1 Cor. 16:2 "On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him; that when I come, the collections be not then to be made."

Again Sunday.

Col. 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink, or in respect of a festival day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths,"

He means with regard to the Jewish observations of the distinction of clean and unclean meats; and of their festivals, new moons, and sabbaths, as being no longer obligatory.

Besides the above there are more.  God begins to reveal His displeasure with the Sabbath in Isaiah 1:13.

Isaias 1:13 "Offer sacrifice no more in vain: incense is an abomination to me. The new moons, and the sabbaths, and other festivals I will not abide, your assemblies are wicked."

Basically the whole chapter of Hebrews 4 but I'll just post 4 verses here. Regarding the day of rest, if Joshua had given rest, God would not later speak of "another day," which is Sunday, the new Sabbath. 

Hebrews 4 "6 Seeing then it remaineth that some are to enter into it, and they, to whom it was first preached, did not enter because of unbelief: 7 Again he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so long a time, as it is above said: Today if you shall hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, he would never have afterwards spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a day of rest for the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, the same also hath rested from his works, as God did from his."

When there is a change in the priesthood, there is a change in the law as well, as we see in Hebrews 7:12. Because we have a new Priest and a new sacrifice, we also have a new day of worship, which is Sunday.     

Hebrews 7:12 "For the priesthood being translated, it is necessary that a translation also be made of the law."

John specifically points out that he witnesses the heavenly Eucharistic liturgy on Sunday, the Lord's day, the new day of rest in Christ, as we see in Revelation 1:10.

Revelation 1:10 "I was in the spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,"

Matthew 16:19 and Matthew 18:18 both mention whatever the Church binds on earth is bound in heaven.

And finally the verse that also entirely refutes sola scriptura (by scripture alone).  The 2,000 year-old tradition of the Church is that the apostles changed the Sabbath day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

2 Thessalonians 2:14 "Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.

1. chambersgirl21 profile image60
        chambersgirl21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This says nothing about worshipping on Sunday. Paul was raising money for the people. He is talking about putting money aside privately in your home so when he came which would be on Sunday the donation would be ready for him. It says nothing about keeping this day holy.

When it speaks of Pauls meeting with the disciples and breaking of the bread, They broke bread everyday, This meeting was a farewell meeting for Paul which is why it was such a long one. Once again, it does not say to keep this day holy and sanctify it.
        The apostles did not change the Sabbath, people did. The apostles kept the Sabbath as it says to do in the 10 commandments.

2. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sunday is the first day of the week to everybody else but the jews. Jesus was a jew and his first day of the week was friday night to saturday night. This is a silly blunder you have made. and all those scriptures you quoted wrong.        Whatever the early church binds and looses with peter and paul not catholics and lutherans, and the church of satan.
           on the lords day doesnt say sunday so you are assuming this because your lords day is sunday. good grief.
            you totally misquoted hebrews 7:12
           If i made a whip outta cords i'd chase you right outta hubpages.
          ive got more to say but you have made me angry and i'll leave you to your ignorance and hope nobody reads this post you have ruined.
        bad make money, bad bad!

2. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I wondered about that myself.  I found the answers enlightening.  The "Sabbath", the day God rested, the last day of the week.  Saturday.  But for Christians, it's Sunday.  Huh?  Now you 'splains it to me...

3. Jerami profile image58

@  Mike  Thanks for that info. Colossians 2:16 sounds almost exactly as I remembered it, except that I thought it said to give no special regard for the full moon etc. or even the Sabbath day. I always thought this to mean to regard the Lord the same every day. I may give the Lord more attention on a Wednesday as any other. 
       I just got back home and am going to check out the rest of the thread.

There is ONE day that we are to recognize God as our Creator, Yes we are to love and praise God everyday and be thankful for every minute he gives us, but he has specifically told us to remember one day and to keep it holy because he has sanctified it.

2. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When considering Colossians 2:16 with regards to all the other verses that mention "the first day of the week" it's fairly clear that they were already celebrating the Sabbath on Sunday.  So Colossians 2:16 can be read "Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink, or in respect of a festival day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths," which is now celebrated on Sunday.  This is basically what this whole thread is about.  After celebrating the Sabbath on Sunday for 2,000 years it is now being judged by man.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image65
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So the Sunday thing is a "tradition of man"... mmmm...

4. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

People don't want to get this because they don't care. Its like a time I spoke to a woman who was amazed that i would not eat pork. I explained my beleif and she said,

"even if Jesus Himself told me not to eat pork, I would still do it anyway"

she is also one that said "we should praise Jesus every day, not just Saturday" when she knew I was a sabbath keeper. what does someone know about God that is unwilling to make a change in THEIR life? nothing.

Just goes to show that people are too stuck in their ways to see the bigger picture. Its way more conveniant to do things their own way, so they think.

5. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Did the devil make you do it? If so you just know which chapter you gotta read! lol

1. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, I guess he did , so you must be right , guess I better read up smile

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Get back to your bible NOW!
        (That's not me being pushy, it's just god speaking through me!)
        Or is it the other guy? smile

I think its the other guy smile

6. chambersgirl21 profile image60
    chambersgirl21posted 14 years ago

Well I know a lot of people take the Sabbath lightly but they shouldnt. It is Gods law. Besides why wouldnt you want to take a day and have total relaxation where you didnt do any work. He made it for us!

7. Jerami profile image58

I have been under the impression that we are saved by grace alone and not by works. We are not saved for following the laws.  We will be judged for the contents of our heart.

Our good deeds are rewards laid up in heaven; they are not payment for passage.

Going to Church on the Sabbath is not a requirement in keeping of the Sabbath . It is a good thing to commune with fellow believers any or all days, for in doing so we mature and gain strength when we do.  But there is no law stating that anyone has to recognize the Sabbath by going to a particular kind of building. Sometimes Christians impose rules and laws that are not scriptural; upon themselves that they then expect everyone else to keep.   I think that from the time that Christ paid the ultimate price; we are to keep every day Holy.
       I almost never have worked professionally on Sunday.
    I just do not see any difference between Saturday or Sunday in this regard.   But that is just my opinion.

1. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jemami,
      ask yourself what commandments are removed?

ummm whats a commandment? something like I command you to go to the bathroom right now Cause if thats it its good cause I really gotta peeeee yep my body is commanding me to pee right now

Yeah please do, take your time okay. smile

2. chambersgirl21 profile image60

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16. Jesus worshiped on the Sabbath.
      "The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God." Exodus 20:10 The seventh day of the week is Saturday

It also says in the bible that every man will be judged according to their works, good and bad.

Love thy neighbour as thyself, for this is the law and the prophets

where are you going with that?

The primary source on all things would logically be Jesus' teachings if a person is a Christian. As far as I remember, Jesus devotes huge amounts of time to pointing the finger at legalism in religion (particularlty by the Pharisees). His onjly reference to whether or not you need to follow Scripture in some nitty-gritty way (legalistically) is the verse I quoted, as far as I can remember, at least.

And then we have Paul, who emphasizes that you should follow the Spirit and not the Letter of the Law.

Really, I am a bit confused. I mean, I thought the whole point was that you could be liberated from the law, and from petty legalism, because Jesus could come into your heart and thus release you from all of this fear, guilt, and agonizing -- because his presence within you transforms your nature to be Chrsitlike anyway.

I mean, it sounds pretty good to me -- yet all I hear on this site is a bunch of legalism, judging (despite "Judge not lest ye be judged" and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"), and worry about this act and that bit of conduct.

I mean, it's too bad - a religion based IN FACT on the New Testament seems quite appealing -- but all I see is a long flood of turnoffs on this thread, ie turnoffs from "Christianity", so-called.

I am not judging.....I am trying to show you the importance of Sabbath keeping. I am sorry that you think obeying the word of God is a turn off, most people do, but if I can get even one person to question and look into the Sunday keeping thing then it is completely worth it to be seen as judgemental, which I am not.

I am happy for you to respond to my post, but you need to read it again, perhaps, because you did not address my main point at all.

Maybe you missed my point. There is a Sabbath that we are all supposed acknowledge. The Seventh Day. God created it for man, so we could have a day of rest and also recognize that he is our loving creator. Sunday is not the day, and it has never been the day.
                  If following the 10 commandments is legalism then thats fine with me.

Don't argue with me. What do I know. I am not even a Christian (though I was one for five years). I am merely telling you
                    (a) what I was taught in my church for five years and
                    (b) what seems to be a correct reading of the New Testament.

I mean, if your interpretation of New Testament teaching is different, that's none of my business, frankly. But I thought I would offer up what I did, because I actually find that version of Christianity ATTRACTIVE... I mean, isn't one of the goals to ATTRACT people to the faith?
                    But, as I say, it's obviously up to you what you do, of course. A day off per week is a good thing, I'd have thought, religiously-backed or not.

2. profile image0
                    SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does the number seven represent? It represents comepletion. The seventh day is actually the day that a person comes to Christ and abides in Him. When this happens, the person is complete. Of course I have been in the sabbath day for a little over 13 years now.

A quick question for you. Do you pay tithes?

2. profile image0

You are gith about the legalistics. Jesus was agaisn tthem, but there was more to it than just that. Jesus said, "Except your righteousness exceed that of the pahrisees, you will not see the kingdom of God." One must understand who the pharisees are or were at that time.

They followed the law to the letter. They fasted twice a week and when the sabbath came, they did absolutely nothing unless it was completely needful. If someone was sick, dying, etc. . .  and needed care for instance. One thing they did was toi put down others who were less that they were. For instance one might pray, "God I am glad that I am not a drunkard like that man over there." 

We are saved by grace through faith, not of works. It is the gift of God. Following the law will not save anyone. God is merciful and gives mercy to whom He will.

Confusion is easy to come by and hard to get rid of. It takes time to transform into what God wants us to be. I am not there yet and may never get there this side of death, but I will get there if I only keep working at it. Paul wrote. "Be transformed by the renewing of your minds." Internal changes are not immediately expressed on the outward appearance.

Judging is certainly a lot of what goes on. We are to judge righteously. It isn't always easy to do but must be done according to the Word of God.

Many use the woman who was caught in the act of adultery to show that judging is not right. Jesus never dismissed her act as being right nor did He condone her sin. She knew she was guilty. What Jesus did was to show her mercy.

Not everyone who says Lord, Lord will enter into the kingdom of heaven. It is easy to get turned off also by the speeech of others. I am guilty of pushing people away myself.

This is for everyone.

The sabbath has not been changed by anyone. It is still the 7th day of the week. As I said above, ouyr righteousness must exceed that of the pharisees. This can only be done by being partakers of the grace of God. It is a gift that he has given to mankind. Any gift that is given must be opened, before it is of any use to anyone.

2. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with everything that you just said for I do not see that it contradicts anything that I said or believe.

God did not say that all of those that can fit into the temple on the Sabbath will be saved. It was however required that everyone come to the temple once a year and pay tithes of 10% of their increase.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I've never understood why Christians of all persuasions make others in their flocks feel guilty for not going to church -- hardly Christlike behaviour, for a start.

8. Jerami profile image58

None of them have been removed. I am simply questioning the definition of what keeping the Sabbath intails. When the ten commandments were written in stone there was no such thing as a Church. Therefore going to a Church could not have been a requirement.

9. chambersgirl21 profile image60
    chambersgirl21posted 14 years ago

Also when it says:
    Col. 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink, or in respect of a festival day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths,"

Paul was talking about the 7 yearly sabbaths or holidays that were no longer binding, not the weekly sanctified Sabbath,Saturday.

For a minute there I thought you were adding to my point, but, sadly, no -- it's too bad, because that quote fits my argument quite well too.

10. sooner than later profile image60

Some say that righteousness with God is solely by grace through faith and then acknowledge that works are still very important

11. AdsenseStrategies profile image65
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

I've got to get off these forums. It's driving me batty.

1. profile image0

Stick around, it is OK.

12. sooner than later profile image60

Some say that righteousness with God is solely by grace through faith and then acknowledge that works are still very important

13. Jerami profile image58

It is almost impossible to see all of the diffrent denominations of Christianity and maintain any sense of over view.

The Church of Christ that I have attended told me that I was going to hell if I do not receive baptism in their church because the Pastor who I was baptized by had a piano in their Church building.
      The Church of Seventh Day Adventists believe that all other denominations are going to hell for recognizing the Day of rest on the wrong day.
       Every denomination believes that the rest are going to hell for not following their doctrine.

They are all forgetting that The Catholic Church is the Mother of all denominations of Christian Religion. Therefore it would seem to me that all denominations of religion are brothers and sisters.

1. profile image0

Jesus said, "Come unto me and I will give you rest." It seems to me that Jesus Christ is now the Sabbath.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely. 
          Jesus said that they will say "Christ is over here" or they will say "Christ is over there"
        Do not believe them.   Christ is in our heart; not in a denomination or a building or a religion.

1. profile image0

I recall recently posting a comment that God is not the God of denominations and, or organizations. He is the God of people. Can't remember if it was posted on a hub or in forums.

14. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

So, shouldn't every day be sacred?

1. profile image0

Great question Rochelle. The answer is, "YES!!!"

What does the 4th commandment say?

1. profile image0

Do you believe Jesus to be the whole Word of God?

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."Exodus 20:8-11

1. profile image0

Do we live by the law? Where is grace in the law? When will the law be fulfilled?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I thought so.

15. Jerami profile image58

On occasion I have sat back listening to four diffrent people disagreeing, and seeing legitimate areas of agreement that they did not see. By taking those points of commonality I would restate those things that they had just said but from a diffrent prospective only to turn a disagreement of four to a disagreement of five.
       Go figure??

16. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Has anyone checked with Obama?

1. profile image0

Lat I hear he was praying facing Mecca.

Only joking.  tongue

17. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Jesus Christ fulfilled the law.

SirDent have you read John Paul II's Apostolic Letter Dies Domini.  Dies Domini is broken down in numbered parts from 1 to 87.  I have highlighted some quotes from Dies Domini by placing the number before each quote so you can verify it if you want.  Aside from every day being sacred this thread is about the Sabbath or Lord's Day.  To me this Apostolic Letter is showing that the Catholic Church, from the times of the apostles changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, as does all the verses in the opening post in my opinion.  How do you read this differently?  I am asking you because I think you are also Catholic, aren't you?

1. profile image0

LOL. Mike, I am not Catholic. I have never read any Catholic material to my knowledge. I am Pentecostal. I believe in Baptism of the Holy Ghost, talking in tongues, gifts of the Spirit, etc. . .

18. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Oh okay, I thought you were Catholic.

1. profile image0

No problem.

19. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

More importantly ... who give a rats backside? lol

1. profile image52
      kneed2knowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

on the day of judgement you will not be so outspoken on things of YHWH... even moses & the israealites were terrified of YHWH presence & they believed in him. on mt sinia. fear the lord your god who can send both the body & soul to hell... for on the unsaved he shall pour out his wrath... how sad it is we (most of us ) under stand so little of his ways and all it takes to be saved is just to believe , repent , & be baptized with the holy spirit. man is an enemey of YWHW. they hate what he represents to them....the cling to the things of the world ,of the flesh & what it desires in selfishness , that we ourselves or what makes the world go around is us .... always what we want ... thats the ways of the world & satan ruler of the world, who has so many followers.your time on earth is more then likely 1/2 over &  to think that is all  or hell does not exist is sad ..

You might have a day of judgement!
        For those of us still sane despite all the religious input in our daily lives this is of course another nonsense from the book of hate and fear.
        Why would any god want or need to be feared or worshipped. You are talking rubbish! Your god is pint sized. lol

1. profile image0

fear means reveared. See there's godly fear and mans fear, mans fear is like a jailer with the keys to freedom but will he use those keys and the fear of god is more like reverance and awe. and worshipped, well, you're just ungrateful ... oh wait, he hasn't done anything for you yet has he? Well just so ya know, ya gotta ask, its that freewill thingie.. oh and you can only ask for forgiveness from all your sins, that will start the ball rolling, after that you may ask whatsoever you will. Don't get me wrong, god is helping you with those things you call coincidences, the root of those is God to.. you're like a sparrow of the field. Oh it will be tough for a while as god changes you and digs things out of your heart, and people like you are now rebuke you and call you names, but that mean streak will go, eventually and pretty soon you will be actually saying postive things and nice things and words of life instead the trashy words of death you constantly run around braying. Wont that be lovely. luv ya. hugs.

Come back after you know who I am, don't embarass youself by assuming things that are incorrect! smile

1. profile image0
              Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BTW Earnest, you never answered my question in the "Top Six" thread.
              would be polite and respectful if you did.

off to start the new day in rest.
              cheers.

2. profile image0

i don't need to know who you are. I read what you post, i see you only like to cause trouble and put religious threads down, what you write is certainly not edifying, not even trying to be part of the thread. You tear down and make jokes about what serious god believers are trying to discuss. You are a swine amongst pearls and the saddest part is. you fuel others like you.
              clouds without water.

You have missed all the threads where arguments were made, like I said, find out first.

2. profile image52
      kneed2knowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some who have eyes do not see... they will not be heard on or seen on that day either but if you should reach that point in your life it will be to late to regret it. this could be your last day on earth, yet say( OH YOU SCARED ME) we can be fearless until the presence of fear or hopelessness appears & GOD then becomes the first one we call on

Turkey droppings! I have been there personally, and can speak from experience.
        I did not go looking for help from some sky gnome! lol

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh, you scared me yikes

21. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 14 years ago

I gotta jump in on this one.
    In 321 CE, while he was a Pagan sun-worshiper, the Emperor Constantine declared that Sunday was to be a day of rest throughout the Roman Empire:
        "On the venerable day of the SUN (sunday) let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country (this is another breech in gods law because god says not to work the fields on his day of rest and that he would bless those that did not) however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for gain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."

The Church Council of Laodicea circa 364 CE ordered that religious observances were to be conducted on Sunday, not Saturday. Sunday became the new Sabbath. They ruled: "Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday, but shall work on that day." There are many indicators in the historical record that some Christians ignored the Church's ruling. Sabbath observance was noted in Wales as late as 1115 CE. Francis Xavier was concerned about Sabbath worship in Goa, India in 1560 CE; he called for the Inquisition to set up an office there to stamp out what he called "Jewish wickedness". A Catholic Provincial Council suppressed the practice in Norway in 1435 CE.

Our calendar week doesn't hold preference over the calendar that god set up. If god rested on saturday night to sunday evening thats fine by me. I actually sabbath friday night 6pm to saturday night 6pm and i go to church on sunday because thats when churches are open here in gentileland. God never changed his sabbath, its a 10 commandment law and yes he came not to destroy the LAW but to fulfill it and also:
    Matthew 5:18   For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the LAW, till all be fulfilled. Until heaven and earth pass the LAW is to be amplified! If a man look upon a woman to lust after her he has already committed adultery in HIS HEART! amplification!
         Since catholicism formally changed the sabbath I know that sunday is unscriptural and wrong. Jesus (who is lord of the sabbath and therefore can do what HE wants) WE are told to REST. We cannot rest every day of the week or keep every day as sabbath (how would we work? shop? etc) But just as gods keen fore/insight made a law to fallow the ground every 7 yrs so must we fallow ourselves every sabbath day.
    Narrow is the way indeed.

1. Angele Parris profile image62
      Angele Parrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 5:18
      For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jor or one title shall in no wise pass from the LAW, till all be fulfilled.

Note: till all be fulfilled. Chist died, Christ rose and Christ will come again.  In Mark 9 vs. 1, Jesus told His disciples that some of them that stand there will not taste death till they have seen the kingdom come with power. This should mean that Christ has returned or some of them have been living for 2000 years.  The LAW has been fulfilled, therefore we free to worship on any day we choose.

22. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

In the kingdom of God, we rest six days and work on the sabbath only.

I love it.

23. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

earnest Im confused again, maybe I'll try another thread, I can't follow hmm:

Hi lyricsingray, I was referring to believing I was going to die, and actually dying a couple of times while in theatre, I experienced no need to go crying to any sky fairy, as the other poster implied we all would. smile Big cancer op, long time ago. I spent almost a week expecting to die before and after 5 surgeries.
      No faith, I got past the fear, but it never entered my mind to expect the sky fairy would intervene. smile

24. wayne sr profile image60
    wayne srposted 14 years ago

I am a christian.I believe that GOD sent his son to die for our sins and the holy spirit to comfort us.But as far as which day is the Sabbath.Taht is a tough one.You really opened a canof worms with this one.The Israelites worship on Saturday because they still believe they are under the old testament.Gentiles Worship on Sunday because that is the day Jesus was resurrected from the dead.I mysself worship,usually every day.But we must worship on 1 of the 2 days mentioned to keep it holy.Remember we Gentiles are not covered by the old testament, but by thenew covenant of Christ. So either way as long as you worship on either day, you will still keep it holy             

wayne sr.

25. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 14 years ago

I have a better question in answer to this question. Who says that Saturday or Sunday have to be the "Sabbath" There is no where in Genesis, or any part of the Bible that says that God started creating on any specifically "Named" day. God worked for 6 days on His creations and on the 7th He rested.

Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday, it all depends on which day one chooses that the week should begin and for that matter who named the days of the week and when?

God's only instruction to the rescued Hebrews of the time of Moses was to: "Keep Holy The Sabbath" which for all intents and purpose, could even be Friday, or any other day of the week depending on when the week actually begins and ends.

Brother Dave Mathews

1. alexandriaruthk profile image70
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kuya Dave, how are you! thank you,

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't god have had to invent a calendar, first?

26. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

glendoncaba asked :

Who Authorised the Change of Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?

Paarsurrey answers:

Yet another change in the teachings of Moses and Jesus done by Paul and his Church done unauthorized.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

27. Levertis Steele profile image77
    Levertis Steeleposted 12 years ago

A diligent daily study of the Bible brings more and more understanding of God's plans for us. When studying to "show thyself approved, rightly dividing the word of truth," there will be no need to wonder what is truth. God will reveal it to us as we move forward in our studies. We must search the scriptures for knowledge and pray for wisdom. It will all come in due season.

Sometimes we are confused because we need to study the history of the people of the time alongside scripture, and we will gradually have better understanding. Whatever you do, please do not beat people over the head with the Bible, and do not create or take part in angry debates. This will lead nowhere, but Satan will sit back, smoke a cigar, and smile at the web he has tangled us in.

28. Angele Parris profile image62
    Angele Parrisposted 8 years ago

When God created the earth, he rested on the seventh day. He never gave Adam and Eve the command to keep the Sabbath holy, he told Adam and Eve not to eat of the tree in the middle of the garden, then He (God) rested.  When he took the children of Israel out of Egypt, He gave them the Sabbath command " to remember to keep it holy". Why?  Because He (God) will be resting. 

The Sabbath day has not changed.  God still rests on a Saturday. It was given to the Jews when they were taken out of Egypt, and they did not know HIm and was not aware of His way of doing things. So the ten commandments, is really God introducing himself to a people who did not know Him.

We, however, are under Grace, (under Jesus Christ), and the Sabbath command was never given to the Gentiles.  Does this mean that Jesus does not honor the Sabbath? 

We are free to choose the day to choose to worship.  I will not provide proof, why Gentiles can worship on any day. I will only to attempt to give the reason why the Jews are commanded to keep the Sabbath holy.

When God took them out of Egypt, he sent food on six days of the week.  This is because He (God) rests on the Sabbath day.  He gave them the ten commandments, in an attempt to lead them away from the customs of the Egypt.   He left Adam and Eve in the garden on a Saturday to rest.  In Exodus, He is telling the children of Israel that on Saturday, I will be leaving you, because I will be resting. 

Today, we see activities on the Sabbath, because Jesus did not take the day of rest, thus Jesus is the "Lord of the Sabbath".

The ten commandments were really given to lead a people who did not know Him back to Him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)