The Catholic church admit that it brought about sunday

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 13 years ago

The Catholic church admit that it brought about sunday worship not God, therefore you are worshipping this church when you worship on sunday, not God.
    Pope Gregory I
    "It has come to my ears that certain men of perverse spirit have sown among you some things that are wrong and opposed to the holy faith, so as to forbid any work being done on the Sabbath day. What else can I call these [men] but preachers of Antichrist, who when he comes will cause the Sabbath day as well as the Lord’s day to be kept free from all work. For because he [the Antichrist] pretends to die and rise again, he wishes the Lord’s day to be held in reverence; and because he compels the people to Judaize that he may bring back the outward rite of the law, and subject the perfidy of the Jews to himself, he wishes the Sabbath to be observed. For this which is said by the prophet, ‘You shall bring in no burden through your gates on the Sabbath day’ [Jer. 17:24] could be held to as long as it was lawful for the law to be observed according to the letter. But after that the grace of almighty God, our Lord Jesus Christ, has appeared, the commandments of the law which were spoken figuratively cannot be kept according to the letter. For if anyone says that this about the Sabbath is to be kept, he must needs say that carnal sacrifices are to be offered. He must say too that the commandment about the circumcision of the body is still to be retained. But let him hear the apostle Paul saying in opposition to him: ‘If you be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing’ [Gal. 5:2]" (Letters 13:1 [A.D. 597]).

"The [Catholic] church took the pagan buckler of faith against the heathen. She took the pagan Roman Pantheon, [the Roman] temple to all the gods, and made it sacred to all the martyrs: so it stands to this day. She took the pagan Sunday and made it the Christian Sun day . . . The Sun was a foremost god with heathendom. Balder the beautiful, the White God, the old Scandinavians called him. The sun has worshipers at this hour in Persia and other lands . . . There is, in truth, something royal, kingly about the sun, making it a fit emblem of Jesus, the Sun of Justice. Hence the church would seem to have said, 'Keep that old, pagan name. It shall remain consecrated, sanctified.' And thus the pagan Sunday, dedicated to Balder, became the Christian Sunday, sacred to Jesus. The sun is a fitting emblem of Jesus. The Fathers often compared Jesus to the sun; as they compared Mary to the moon."--William L. Gildea, "Paschale Gaudium," in The Catholic World, 58, March, 1894, p. 809. [Dr. Gildea (1856-19 14) was rector of St. James Catholic Church in London].

OFFICIALLY CHANGED TO SUNDAY
    Emperor Constantine the Great in the early fourth century, followed by later "Christian emperors." Not only did Constantine give Christianity a new status within the Roman Empire (from being persecuted to being honored), but he also gave Sunday a "new look." By his civil legislation, he made Sunday a rest day. His famous Sunday law of March 7, 321, reads: "On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost."[32]

This was the first in a series of steps taken by Constantine and by later "Christian emperors" in regulating Sunday observance. It is obvious that this first Sunday law was not particularly Christian in orientation (note the pagan designation "venerable Day of the Sun"); but very likely Constantine, on political and social grounds, endeavored to merge together heathen and Christian elements of his constituency by focusing on a common practice. In A.D. 386, Theodosius I and Gratian Valentinian extended Sunday restrictions so that litigation should entirely cease on that day and there would be no public or private payment of debt.[33] Laws forbidding circus, theater, and horse racing also followed and were reiterated as felt necessary.

"In the year 321 the Emperor Constantine, who was not yet a declared Christian, but was still hovering between paganism and Christianity, issued a decree making Sunday a compulsory day of rest: but the fact that he speaks of Sunday as 'the venerable day of the Sun' [the pagan sun-worship title for the day] shows that he was thinking of it as a traditional sun-festival at the same time that he thought of it as a Christian holy-day . . . Sunday came to be observed throughout Europe as it is still observed by Roman Catholics, namely, as a day on which, like our Christmas, people went to church in the morning and then gave themselves over to rest or to holiday-making and sports."--Arthur Weigall, The Paganism in Our Christianity, 1928, pp. 236-237. [A. D. Weigall (1880-1934) was a British historian, Egyptologist and inspector-general of antiquities for the Egyptian Government].

"At this time in early church history it was necessary for the church to either adopt the Gentiles' day or else have the Gentiles change their day. To change the Gentiles' day would have been an offense and a stumbling block to them. The church could naturally reach them better by keeping their day."--William Frederick, Three Prophetic Days, pp. 169-170.

Sylvester I (314-337 A.D.) was the pope during the reign of Constantine. Here is what he thought of the Bible Sabbath: "If every Sunday is to be observed joyfully by the Christians on account of the resurrection, then every Sabbath on account of the burial is to be execration [loathing or cursing] of the Jews."--quoted by S. R. E. Humbert, Adversus Graecorum calumnias 6, in Patrologie Cursus Completus, Series Latina, ed. J.P. Migne, 1844, p. 143.

Hear what the first real Protestant (Reformer), ex-Catholic Monk, Martin Luther Says in his commentary on Exodus 16:4, 22-30, regarding the Sabbath:

"Hence you can see that the Sabbath was before the Law of Moses Came, and has existed from the beginning of the world". Especially have the devout, who have preserved the true faith, met together and called upon God on this day."

As to the cause of the conversion of Constantine from heathen superstitions to the Christian faith, Philostorgius, in conformity with all other writers, ascribes it to his victory over Maxentius, in a battle in which the sign of the cross was seen in tile East, vast in extent and lit up with glorious light, and surrounded on each side by stars like a rainbow, symbolizing tile form of letters. The letters too were in the Latin tongue and formed these words, “In hoc signo vinces.”

Council of Nicea I (325 AD):

When Constantine defeated Emperor Licinius in 323 AD he ended the persecutions against the Christian church. Shortly afterwards Christians faced a trouble from within: the Arian controversy began and threatened to divide the church. The problem began in Alexandria, it started as a debate between the bishop Alexander and the presbyter (pastor, or priest) Arius.  Arius proposed that if the Father begat the Son, the latter must have had a beginning, that there was a time when he was not, and that his substance was from nothing like the rest of creation. The Council of Nicea, a gathering similar to the one described in Acts 15:4-22, condemned the beliefs of Arius and wrote the first version of the now famous creed proclaiming that the Son was "one in being with the Father" by use of the Greek word "homoousius."

The Nicene Creed introduced the word "homoousious" or "consubstantial" meaning "of one substance." This word was not invented at the Council. Eusebius writes that some of the "most learned and distinguished of the ancient bishops had made use of consubstantial in treating of the divinity of the Father and the Son".

Of interest about the excommunicated Arius.  A few years after the Council of Nicea, Arius discovered a new way to interpret the word "homoousius" that agreed with his doctrines. He then asked to be readmitted to communion, but the Church refused. Arius then appealed to the Emperor. Emperor Constantine's favorite sister, Constantia, on her deathbed, implored Constantine to support Arius and he did so. A date was set for the forcing of the Church to readmit Arius, but while he was waiting for Constantine to arrive Arius stopped to relieve himself and his bowels burst and he died. (See Arians of the 4th Century, Chapter III, Section II by John Henry Newman)

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does the day really matter? The Bible tells us to worship God in Spirit and Truth....shouldn't that be done everyday?

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bloody hell!

I thought he said spirit and root, so I bought a crate of 12 year old scotch, got pissed and went looking for a root!

Am I in trouble now? smile

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
          I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he meant spirits made from roots, which I always assumed was a reference to ginger beer.

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, no comment, can't read more than 4 lines which is a huge miracle, Sundays I use to snort 4
        sorry gotta nap oh shoot it's friday, who brought about Friday, for sure earnest, rock on buddy best day of the week - so take that sunday claimers!  cool

2. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pardon ?

3. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God says to keep Holy the "SABBATH". God declared the "SEVENTH DAY" as a day of rest, to worship Him.   
                              BUT 
      God does not categorically state what day is The "SABBATH" or what day is the "SEVENTH DAY", therefore if you choose to follow any organized religion Catholic or Otherwise, whatever day they have chosen to be the "SABBATH" is the day you will follow.
      Sunday could be the SIXTH DAY which would make Monday the "SABBATH" The Jewish religion of today believes Friday to be the "SIXTH DAY" and  the "SABBATH" to be Saturday according to their calendar, but Catholics are not Jewish, Christians are not Jewish.
      If you don't like Sunday as your sabbath, pick one and manke it yours.

4. Diane Inside profile image73
      Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

haj why not write a hub here this is a bit excessive for a forum isn't it.  At least a hub will be there forever , this not so much.

5. profile image57
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

since churches have service in the middle of the week, they should stop that to, according to some of these hubbers

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if that is true.
      From what I read....
      Whatever I can't read all that

2. profile image52
    aromancatholicposted 13 years ago

you live in the roman world.  the days months holidays the bible also roman ---upon this rock i will build my church--and peter rest where?

3. Merlin Fraser profile image59
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

How come it's taken you 2,000 odd years and the thesis above to work out the Christians stole the Pagan's most holy day of days ?

SUN day... A day set aside to worship the SUN...  DUH !!   Oh Yeah, it was already a day off

It's not rocket science, and I think you're going to have a fit when you finally get round to realising Christmas and Easter were stolen as well and have absolutely Stuff All to do with Christianity either.

4. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Yep Sun day was taken from the Pagan's. Solar logos = the physical Sun.  Sunday, the day of worshiping the Sun.  No intelligence needed here.  No need to extract long drawn out paragraphs that bore people.

Merlin, I don't know why they have such difficulty with the origins of Christmas and Easter either?  It all has to do with astronomy, seasons.  Stuff all to do with modern day Christianity.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image59
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or even Old day Christianity for that matter. 

Everything I've actually read about JC kinda puts him in the realms of Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy.

I mean we know he wasn't born at Christmas and we know he didn't resurrect at Easter.  Even his name is suspect... The Christ is a title not a name...that and the fact that there were at least three other people wandering around at the same time proclaiming themselves the Messiah....

All sounds a bit Iffy to me... but there again it always did !

1. Jewels profile image81
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It always will remain iffy Merlin.  The solar logos, for instance, is a principle.  Christ Consciousness is a state of mind.  It's not a 'personal' anything.  It's way way way beyond 'personal'.  All anyone can do (including this Jesus dude) is attain a high state of consciousness.  And that is never done on an external level. Hence the biggest con ever created was to have masses of people look OUTSIDE themselves and idolize an external false being - that being a personal god/God.  Jesus unfortunately has become that external personal being.   God, or a divine state is only found inside which is what, in original scriptures was intended to be taught by 'Jesus' or Buddah, or Ra, or any of the sages in each sect.

Unfortunately the ECs & FCs don't know they are working for the wrong side.  That's the paradoxical conundrum they will face.

1. alternate poet profile image67

Well put !   I always like your posts but you have just shot up my list of personal favourites 1

smile Thankyou. I think you just made my day smile

Thank you for the compliment of thinking that my opinion matters big_smile

It certainly does, especially when there are compliments involved!  Too few of those around these days.

And I just found this gem today.  You might enjoy it, I certainly did.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbvr0m_shortfilms

Nah - that won't open here  in China - I guess there is anti china stuff on the site somewhere.  I can't get Youtube either, or Facebook sad

sad

2. earnestshub profile image81

There must be some way you could look at these China

Mind you, I can't think of one right now. Fry is always worth a look. smile

2. Jerami profile image57
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A strange aspect of life is that I have heard people saying something very very similar to your statement above and yet not really grasp what they have just said.

I get dizzy sometimes, because I do see some truth in the things that most everyone on here are saying.

I see your philosophy of life closer to the truth, as I understand it, than any one else on here.

And I agree with alternate poet,  you are # 1 based on what I know.

When we maintain an  EITHER-OR  mentality, and not even examine both sides of an issue,  we are depriving ourselves of any hopes of finding any kind of truth.

I respond less and less on the religious forums because the repetitive reading makes me dizzy too!    I just listened to the Intelligence Debate that I posted for our China friend AP above by Stephen Fry not long after making the 2nd post above.  And it was plain to see that he spoke from experience and a clearer understanding of spirituality that is so missing - especially on these forums!   He said so much in a short 20 minutes that hit between the eyes.  People were squirming in their seats, perhaps it's because there were clergy present.  Many audience members were probably worried about the 'sacriligious' undertones in his speech.  But so very true how he spoke about Jesus the teacher and how he would not tolerate the nonesense being spewed today.  I must listen to the entire debate as a whole, but Stephen Fry made my Friday evening very memorable.

I have seen the entire series Jewel, and they are all first class.
              Stephen Fry has a very nice mind if that makes sense to you...
              His capacity to balance logical process with compassionate feeling shows much emotional maturity.
              I watch the other shows he is in and feel he has an extraordinarily capacity to retain and deal with information.
              It takes a little time to watch.

I look forward to going through the series Ernest.  And yes, Fry has a balanced perspective and a very nice open mind.

Are his shows on any other online site - I can access most normal news and entertainment sites if not all ?

2. alternate poet profile image67

EITHER/OR  If these threads ever get past trying to educate some of the smallest thinkers in the history of the world - and you are not one of those Jerami big_smile   -  then the progression from the exclusive aspects of either/or that come from over-emphasising or over-dependancy on logic to AND/ALSO  would be an interesting conversation.

1. Jerami profile image57

Thank you sir. I've had many pleasant conversations with you and many others on here.
                 Can't say that I have agreed "totally" with anyone, but I've learned at least a little bit from everyone,  I think.

I think that I think so ??  I think ?

I'm getting too sleepy to think ..  I think?

Good night all
                It's  12:20   that is late for an old man that gets up at 6 AM every morning no matter what.

3. Tom Cornett profile image79
          Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jewels of wisdom.  smile

smile

5. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

This is so long a post I didn't even bother reading it. sad

Jesus is Lord 24/7. The rest is academic. big_smile

academic rather than religiogibberish ?

6. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

It sounds to me that Most all Atheists and many Theists are saying that the Church that Constantine built has lead the true teachings of GOD astray.   

Hmmm  Wasn't something like that predicted to happen In Gods original message approx 330 or so years earlier?

So it seems illogical to Deny the existence of God based upon something that God said was going to happen ... 
    and did happen ??

Only if the truth is handled very indelicately Jerami. smile

1. Jerami profile image57

Earnest ..  It seems that all doubters seem to agree that the scriptures have been adulterated. 

and many Theists, and some Christians also.

So after 2000 years of this "activity"  it would become easy to find reason to doubt not knowing what part is still accurate and what has been tampered with.

Yes,  you believe that it started out totaly fabricated.
        But without knowing the origional story, you also stand on faith that; ...  where there was smoke there was no fire.

7. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Meh.

Really, as far as I can tell, the important message in Christianity is basically this: "I know you're not perfect," says God, "So when you screw up, recognize it, and resolve to do better. That's really all I can expect of you people. Oh, and it'd be good if you'd try to treat each other nicely."

Everything else is just excess baggage. Worship on Saturday, or Sunday, or Wednesday, who cares? Worship by glossolalia or by burning incense or by making music or by building houses for the homeless, who cares? Eat pork, or eat beef, or eat only vegetables, who cares?

As long as you're trying to be a better person, and treating everyone else nicely, who cares? God? If He cares, the folks who are doing it wrong will find out soon enough. And you might be one of them. So might I. I'm not perfect. But I'm doing the best I can, and trying to do better.

8. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Nice hub, did you push the wrong buttons?

9. Merlin Fraser profile image59
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Can see the Bosses loving that one... Not to mentiomn the clergy of all faiths for that matter.

They are so used to working a One day week and along you come and take the other six days off them....

Not the best thought out plan... if you ask me ...which you didn't of course.. but what the Hell!

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Forget Sunday.....

who is the S.O.B. who came up with Monday morning??

GOD !  Who else ?

He only had one day off as it is writ:

At Fiveth on the morrow following the sabbath Mrs.God gave unto God a sharp prodeth in the butt and spake thus. "Yeah the day after tomorrow be Wednesday that be half a week gone and I needeth you to clear the garden of serpents and your other experiments for they stealeth our fruit."

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

are you SURE it wasnt my boss?

I just know I'm going to regret asking this but what the hell....

OK Greek One Who is your Boss ?

1. Greek One profile image64
            Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you mean the one at home, or here at the office?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

11. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

my deepest apology but could the OP repeat himself, I couldn't hear, or I could read it NOT!

my friend hub it we'll love it

not start of thread, will no doubt soon be dead

big_smile

12. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

so what kind of residuals does this church get for the invention of Sunday?

must be a holy bunch!

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)