I was just told my poem is a duplicate by Hubpages team. IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

I just create a poem this afternoon and sent it in to Hubpages and they said its been duplicated????? I don't understand???? Not possible. Can you help understand. Thankyou hubbers.
    The link for my poem is http://hubpages.com/literature/I-am-a-M … e-a-Father

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We can't see your poem.  Try googling for it line by line to see what close matches there are. If it is very short there might be 20% overlap with something else by chance (or whatever the magic% is)

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It gets worse...

The page does not exist.

I've got my money on the power of the human mind & e.s.p 
        Hmmm... e.s.p  - Ever Sold Poetry?  hmm

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
          SheilaMilneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The original link has a typo.  It should be http://hubpages.com/literature/I-am-a-M … e-a-Father

1. profile image0
            threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

oops..thank you for noticing that

2. profile image0

No..never thought about seeling my poems...

2. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

since it is original poem, did you publish the same poem elsewhere at other sites?
      Because it is considered as plagarism if posted at other sites.
      You can post it here but don't post at other sites even though it is yours.

1. profile image0

No...created the poem and then just sent it to  hubpages. Didn't it post it anywhere else.

3. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

threekeys, if you created it this afternoon, how, pray tell could it be duplicated if no one has seen it?
      This defies logic.

1. profile image0

Yes it defies logic. It didn't make sense.
        Then, not long after I posted my thoughts and feelings here,   Hubpages published that poem. So now all "makes sense".

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
          Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am unable to find it. What is the title to you poem?

2. kenneth avery profile image80

threekeys,
          I can relate to your situation more than you can imagine. I will inbox you.

4. CatherineGiordano profile image78
      CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is probably not specific to your situation, but I once did a hub with a lot of Martin Luther King quotes. These quotes appear elsewhere, of course. My original content was the commentary on the quotes. An HP bot labeled it plagiarism. I fixed it by adding about 200 more words of commentary to change the ratio of commentary to quotes.

2. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 7 years ago

If you composed the poem, then it could mean that someone has copied your poem. As such there is a duplicate around.

3. profile image0

No one could have unless I have some psychic  "reading me" and stole my poem??  I just finished creating it and then posted it on line to hubpages Then it was to wait to see if it was accepted by Hubpages. My first response from the Hubpages team was that my newly created poem was a "duplicate". What do you say manitita?

1. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I'm late. I posted a long article not so long ago, and they rejected it. I had used a couple of quotes by Sri Chinmoy. I had done this before, no problem. It's quoted after all. But this time it did not pass.

I have long felt that there is a programme that filters our information, having a sort of memory of things seen on the internet before. So if a full sentence or a few words are the same or similar, it then picks it up.

I know for a fact that there can be very intuitive feel from some of us. I write on the rain and someone else does; I write on Autumn and someone else does. We are not copying one another, but some ideas can be similar.

When I had my first problem for plagiarising, the individual said that I had stolen 'null and void' and 'waltzing and dancing' or something like that. Of course I hadn't. He said that I was following him and even on facebook. I was not using Facebook at the time. Maybe someone else knows how this thing works, but yes, sometimes we can be strikingly similar, even if we have created our own poems. Re-adjust some of your lines; swap around and see what happens.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When I started designing crochet patterns for magazines and such, the same thing happened all the time. Two crocheters would have almost identical designs at the same time. It was like minds would work the same.

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years ago

Hello threekeys, maybe someone else got a hold of you poem and used.  Or you might want to change the name of it which could have key words that are similar to someone else's title.
    Good luck to you.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

Could it be because it is similar to other poems you have written that use  much the same format? You might be able to get a specific answer by emailing team@hubpages.com.

6. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 7 years ago

I think it's what Rochelle said. Similar titles, similar words.

7. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

I googled the first few lines of the poem, and the poem on HP came up as the first Google result.
    So... the poem does appear to be published now.

8. iijuan12 profile image65
    iijuan12posted 7 years ago

About a year ago I tried to publish a hub and got back notification that they wouldn't publish it because there was an identical page already on the Internet. After a number of emails back and forth with hubpages, I found out that hubpages did publish my page. Within the first few minutes of it getting published, someone stole my page and copied it in its entirety before Google had a chance to scan it over. It was immediately rejected. Thankfully my hub had multiple videos with me on them that it was obvious enough to the hubpages editors that I was indeed the original author. I sent an email to the author of the other page asking them to take down my work.

1. profile image0

So that is how it must have happened....thankyou very much for explaining. I am glad that you were able to resolve it with that author and to get him/her to take it down.

9. faith-hope-love profile image71
    faith-hope-loveposted 7 years ago

I read you. I have been writing pieces for a long time and have found that even when commissioned that one should always keep a copy in a sealed envelope which has a stamp on it and is dated and stamped over each opening. It may seem like one is a little paranoid but remember Safety first.

1. profile image0

That's a solid way of making sure. Thank you faith-hope-love.

10. profile image0

Thankyou Catherine.

11. profile image0

Hello Kenneth

I don't know what to say with regards to what you are personally experiencing here at hubpages. But I know I don't like to see anyone feel any less than they are. To me we are all needed and of value. The how's, why's, therefore's is not relevant unless we need them to be. Faith enables the impossible to be possible.

1. kenneth avery profile image80

threekeys,
      Did you read the email that I sent you?

1. profile image0

I had Kenneth...I felt out of my depth here...I felt that I couldn't reply because I just am not aware and upon that basis I probably wouldn't be able to respond in a way that is needed. In saying that I will go back and reread your email to me and comeback to you  if I see something I didn't see or pick up on. I just feel I am out of my depth here Kenneth

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)