What purpose does rioting serve in America ?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

None .    Why ?    Because when the cause reaches the level of the streets,   it becomes then  one of the basic negative human  behaviors . When any public  gathering  and it's almost always  youth and young adults ,  goes to the streets  it almost always degenerates to violence .    This is where the organizers  will justify whatever happens in the streets  to the cause of whatever the issue at hand ,  but when it  develops into violence  it  LOSES  ALL  POSITIVE MEANING to any cause..

So , this is where you justify the  rioting , and defend  " one or two people  acting out "  , any takers ?

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13206694.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Riots can serve many purposes.

An outlet for anger for people too stupid to understand that it causes them more trouble than anything gained.

Riots bring media attention: for organizers of "peaceful demonstrations" this is of great value.

When it includes stealing, it gives the thief an opportunity almost totally free of possible consequences.

It is fun for many: an exciting time when they get a great adrenaline rush.

It gives an opportunity to demonstrate how great and macho the rioter is as he sets fire to a car or something when no one is available to protect it.

It provides opportunity for those that can only destroy; that are too stupid or lazy to create or build.

Lots of purposes, then.

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't like the concept of rioting. I much rather use the law and courts to get redress on unacceptable situations. It is like as an earlier poster said, it detracts from an otherwise justify able cause.

Unfortunately there are very few large demonstrations that don't deteriorate into violence.  Usually not a full fledged riot, but violence and destruction.

Do you like the concept of large demonstrations, then, knowing there will be violence and destruction?

Ihave to defer to the First Amendment, the people shall have the right to peaceably assemble. Demonstrations are included in that as long as they remain peaceful and do not interfere with public throughfare. Because some of these can be large an intrusive in a large city, a permit is required, not just to interfere with expression but to route traffic etc. to accomodate. The same thing that they do for the Macy's parade.

I support them, too, from a legal standpoint.  Just as I support What's His Name when he kneels at the national anthem.

But I asked if you like the idea of large demonstrations.  (Don't think I've ever heard of the Macy's "demonstrators" starting a riot with their floats)

Depends on what the demonstration is about. I may not agree with the issue that is the subject of the demonstration. All have the right to demonstrate, and that does not require my approval

You don't like rioting, but DO like big demonstrations that nearly always result in rioting.  Can you justify those, one with the other?

Would you support rounding up any and all "demonstrators" that are present during a riot and sentencing them to 90 days for being an accessory to destruction of private property and/or personal violence?  With the first broken window, the first car overthrown, the first rock thrown at cops, bring in a thousand cops and start the roundup?

No, I do not favor that idea. Demonstrations are part of the democratic process, rioting is not. Those that are found in acts of violence or distruction of property are subject to arrest, not those who otherwise are just demonstrating I don't necessarily associate demonstrations with riots. One does not necessarily lead to the other.

2. junko profile image70
      junkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Black Rioting and White mob violence are two different extremes that can  cause lost of property and life. Peaceful protest can turn into rioting and property lost which can cause the death of peaceful protesters who are mostly unarmed. Mob Violence is always hostile and violent, the mobs are always armed and White only.Theft and Stealing is punish more harshly than fraud and embezzlement, why? There should be more protest about White- Collar crimes than Black Collar Rioting. Rioting in America serves one purpose and that is an opportunity to shine a bright light on things done in the dark to too many who have been ignored too long.

Hi, Junko's, nice to see you back.

I was a kid in a Denver neighborhood in April, 1968. In the aftermath of the assassination of Dr. King, there were riots in our community. I asked my pop, why we're we destroying our own stores and private property?

Since that time, I never had a lot of use for people who lacked self control, going off into a frenzy without consideration of the consequences.

I have learned since then, be smart, don't get mad, get even!

1. junko profile image70

Hi back at you Credence, I've been around expressing my opinions. My opinion on you never having use for people who lack self control, going off into a frenzy without consideration of the consequences, is how most people feel . In politics sometimes those kind of people are tolerated to save the masses in the case of Donald Trump and his supporters. Rioting serve no purpose and the intent of a peaceful protest is not to cause a riot. If !/10 of 1% of peaceful protesters act out and a riot is DECLARED all 99.9% of peaceful protesters are endangered. So riots serve no good purpose to solve the Negro's Problems.Believe it or not some people wish for a riot but not peaceful protesters their haters do wish the protest fails to solve their problems. In 1968 I was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps. Police unions was our last  dialog.

Yes, indeed, there are many that want to discredit the the legitimacy of a peaceful political movement by desiring that the broad brush of 'rioter' be attached to them. Then it becomes easier to denigrate both them and the cause that they represent, by those that would just as soon not allow the issue of concern to see the light of day.

1. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

One purpose of a peaceful protest is to make people uncomfortable. Some people don't like that. They prefer to keep their blinders firmly in place so as not to feel uneasy about their complacency.

2. junko profile image70

Credence, I am glad to see you agree, that we have to fail our way to success in our fight for equal rights and justice for all. " No Justice No Peace " is not a slogan it is a fact..

3. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." (JFK)

Some people clearly feel peaceful revolution is not possible in terms of racial equality. The question is, why do some people feel that?

4. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When all that hateful organized energy should be spent in Tulsa, has instead been spent in Charlotte...something stinks!  Officials of Charlotte said that 70% of the rioters / protesters that were arrested had out of state IDs.  That, they were bused in or came in by train. 

George Soros' name is written all over Ferguson...now Charlotte.

This eye witness says people think the black man was shot by cops, but that he knows for a fact that he wasn't, because he was standing 10' away from him.  He hopes people get to see the video that shows what happened...I haven't seen it yet.  There is an investigation, the truth will come out, we just have to be patient and not jump to conclusions.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9089lYV5c0Y

George Soros name is written all over the Charlotte riots just like Ferguson.   BTW, he is a big donor of Hillary Clinton's.     
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13208208.jpg
      Hillary blew the dog whistle and made it a race war.
      I guess she needed to politicize the shooting before the facts. 

Now, there are a lot more black people mostly from poor inner cities who have arrest records, and one protester dead after being shot by another protester.  Oh, but the media doesn't talk about that, and Hillary went silent. ... And, its still not over in Charlotte.

No riots in Tulsa? Only peaceful protests, because no one called out the hounds of hell (adjudicators, anarchists, social justice warriors).

1. colorfulone profile image77

Correction, I misunderstood.  I heard from the eye witness I referred to.  Daves MC,  "I said the police didn't shoot the man that was at the protest. Another man was shot in the head during the protest by another black man."  That's the man he was 10' away from. 

My apology, so sorry for any confusion and that I must have caused. 
        Please, forgive me.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

Apparently, white people think winning sporting events is justification for rioting. We must be really "deep" to feel so passionately about winning.

11 Stupid Reasons White People Have Rioted

1. always exploring profile image76
      always exploringposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My opinion, it takes away from their cause. Black people have been discriminated against in America since slavery. When they smash cars and loot businesses it only adds to the problem. President Obama asks for a calm and peaceful gathering. I hope they will listen. The white policewoman has been charged with murder, as she should be. The man held his arm's up and had no gun, yet she killed him. This must stop!

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree that rioting isn't the answer and provides ammo to those who will trivialize the movement to hold police accountable for their illegal actions.

2. colorfulone profile image77

What incident (or riot) was that, and where?   

ADDED:  I just read the story about the shooting in Tulas. sad
        Even if the man was on PCP, he should not have been shot.

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I actually checked out the reasons - One thing , You are serious right ?   ........Not.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

What purpose does frustration-based behavior serve?  Well, I am not sure it exists to serve a purpose.  It is a spontaneous expression of a state of suffering.

4. profile image0

I miss the understanding of law  and order that dictated   when a legal protest turns  violent , then that violence is met by  the same type of force.
    "The perception  of police  discrimination  should concern Americans " ----- Pres. Obama today .    Gee there , Mr. President  , what about the perception that   most people  are actually supporting the police     . College age protesters ,  social-political  activists  and  a  jungle mentality in the streets leaves an awfully weird perception of your leadership too !

Mr. President ,Watch what you say !

5. profile image0

Colorfulone    --   this is totally correct !

A race war began by Obama  , continued for Hillary's black vote - benefit  .  AND  promoted by the Soros owned  media !    It is the most falsely structured debate of the day , in fact , in history !

Have you heard  about recently  legalized ,illegal immigrants for democratic votes ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)