Earn big in Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    John Ray Cuevasposted 6 years ago

How do you earn big in hubpages?

1. FatFreddysCat profile image95
      FatFreddysCatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

1. Write consistently awesome sh**
      2. Develop Ninja level SEO skills that spreads the word about your consistently awesome sh** across the Internet and draw traffic
      3. Sit back on a bed of laurels and wait for that sweet, sweet cash to roll in.

1. profile image0
        John Ray Cuevasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sir! does it really take time for them to connect my account to google adsense?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it does take some time to gain Adsense approval.  You need to have at least 10 featured articles before you can apply.

You seem very interested in earning, but it takes time and many people here rarely earn much. The learning curve is huge but eventually (meaning years) can pay off.

If you are here for fast money,you're in the wrong place.

1. profile image0

Thank you for the info! Do you recommend any other sites where I can earn fast? Tho I'll still continue publishing articles in hubpages. Thank you smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

No, I don't.  I think HP is probably the best place to write and earn if you are willing to spend the time necessary to learn and grow.  Online writing used to be a good earner for many, but that has changed for most people.  A knowledgeable and talented few are able to earn via their own sites, but those sites are a lot of work to set up and not for the average person.

1. profile image0

Thank you! I will be patient and would try to focus on growing as a writer instead. I have a quick question, Do I get paid even if my articles are published  but not featured?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                  Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If your articles are published but not Featured, they are invisible to most people.  The only way people can see those articles are on your profile, or on Facebook or some other social site. So, considering you need a thousand views to make $2, you're not likely to make much money from those!

HubPages' jargon can be confusing at times. "Featured" sounds like it should mean something special, but in fact a Featured Hub is just an ordinary Hub.    If your Hub is published but not Featured, it means the HubPages QAP team have judged it, and decided it's not so awful they can't accept it, but it's not quite good enough to be visible to the public either.

To make money, you need to work towards making all your Hubs good enough to get Featured status, but even that is not enough - you need to work on making them good enough to be accepted for the vertical sites (which we usually call "niche sites").

Nowadays, HubPages.com is just a halfway house.  Hubs published on HubPages.com don't typically earn a great deal.   As each new Hub is published, it's assessed to see whether it's suitable to be moved to one of the niche sites.  TThat's where the money is.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image91
                    Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your CPM rate assessments are very low for social views. If CPM is behaving I can do much better than that.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Yes, but only if you post them on sites like Pinterest, Google+ or Facebook and people there click on them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

There are NO sites where you can earn fast.  Writing sites are place where you earn slow and steady. There are plenty of sites which will try to scam you into thinking you can earn fast - they are all scams, though. 

Here on HubPages, you can expect to earn between $1 and $5 per 1,000 visitors. You can't earn a cent until  you have an Adsense account, and you can't apply for that until you've been here at least a month, and have at least 10 Featured Hubs.   

Also you need to think of HubPages as a long-term investment.  You could write articles and sell them on a site like Constant-Content.com and you might get $30 per article (if you're lucky).  Post that same article on HubPages and it could earn $1 or $2 per month.  That doesn't sound like much, but I have articles which have been on HubPages for nine years - which means they've paid me  $200 each (in fact, some of them have paid far more than that, and some have paid much less).

Most people find it takes about six months to get their first $50 payout, then the earnings start to improve and by the time you've been here a year, you should be getting a payout every month.   If you've built a large portfolio of good Hubs by that time, you can sit back and just let them continue earning, though you still need to approve comments and give your Hubs regular updates.

If that doesn't sound good to you, then you'll be disappointed to know that all writing sites work pretty much the same, and HubPages pays better than any other writing site I know of.

3. NateB11 profile image88
              NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you want to make money immediately you'd have to do freelance writing, on  sites that will buy your articles or pay you to write for them; there are such sites of course. The other alternative is doing jobs online, I looked into some awhile back but can't remember the names. One, I recall, was totally just listening to messages on the phone and sort of clarifying what was said and writing it down, I think. As far as freelance writing, I used to do some writing for Blogmutt but quit because I felt the pay wasn't worth the amount of work I was doing; I don't know if they accept writers from other countries, can't remember. There are others like Textbroker and iWriter.

As far as revenue sharing writing sites, it takes time to earn money.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

+1

2. Nell Rose profile image92
        Nell Roseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

lol! FatFreddy! now that made me laugh!

1. Diana Majors profile image72
          Diana Majorsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree!  I was sitting in my doctor's office when I read it, and I got quite a few strange looks when I laughed out loud!

2. gottaloveit2 profile image60
    gottaloveit2posted 6 years ago

I've had success with Constant Content which is a board where you write your own articles and put them up for sale. there's different sale rights that you can have on them like 'full use' (meaning you sell them once and they're gone forever to the buyer) or .... well, something else where you can sell them over and over.

I have a matzo ball soup recipe up there that I've sold at least 20 times for $10 each. Full right articles can go up to whatever you want. I sold one for $150.

It's a good site though. Try that.

Also, once Squidoo moved to Hubpages, I took that as a sign and started writing on my own sites. I'm up to 6 sites now and must be one of the fortunate few as I earn a few thousand a month from all of my writing, including here.

1. NateB11 profile image88

It's always good to hear that it's possible to make significant income online. I have my own sites but certainly haven't made that kind of income from them yet. I make a bit though.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image91
      Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Someone wanted to buy one of my travel articles on Reddit. To be honest, I had no idea how to go about that lol. I figured keep it here and let it earn over the long term.

3. Kain 360 profile image91
      Kain 360posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've written over a dozen articles on there and sold a few, but it was extremely difficult to get some of my articles approved. Constant Content editors can be picky and IMO and experience rude at times.

3. Kain 360 profile image91
    Kain 360posted 6 years ago

Write 100 hubs on topics that are being searched for, but don't have super high competition. Write 500-1000 words for each of those hubs because you need enough content and keywords to increase the chance that your rank will be higher. Get 50-100 views per day on average on each one which would generate 5000 - 10,000 views a day. Get a eCPM of 2-4 dollars which would mean 5000 views a day = $10-20 dollars a day which is 300-600 dollars a month of passive income. 10,000 views a day across all hubs on that eCPM would be $600-1200.

At one point, on another account, I had hubs that made hundreds to thousands of views a day back in 2011-2012. I'm back to working on articles again. I'm hoping I got the work ethic, intelligence, and luck to be successful again. Google algorithm updates hurt my success badly. And I got quite despondent.

You can write about trendy topics that might get a ton of views (like 1000+ views a day), but lose a lot of traffic after a few months or you can write evergreen topics that may not get a ton of views in a day, but may generate consistent views (like 50 views daily) for years.

In my opinion, try to write on both trendy topics and evergreen. Be versatile. A bit.

+1

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

As you've been away from HubPages for a while, it might be useful to know that HubPages are now recommending much longer Hubs (over 1,000 words and even up to 2,500 words).  So I would strongly recommend following that advice.

The reason is that the future of HubPages is definitely the niche sites.  If you write shorter Hubs, there's a chance they won't get moved to the niche sites and that will be a big problem for your evergreen topics.

In case you don't know, HubPages has already moved all of the highest-trafficked Hubs to the niche sites (i.e the Hubs that get about 80% of HubPages' traffic).  As new Hubs are published, each one is assessed to see if it's suitable to be moved. 

What that means is that what's left on the main site is the stuff that Google isn't sending traffic to, either because it's poor quality, it's not search-engine-friendly, or it's on a subject that's not searched.  So I dread to think what the Panda score for the main site is now, since it's all stuff that Google doesn't "like". I predict earnings on the main site will get worse and worse, whereas the niche sites are (in general) doing very well. HubPages is essentially a clearing house now, a place where you publish Hubs for  consideration for the niche sites.

4. Angelo Grant profile image89
    Angelo Grantposted 6 years ago

Kain 360, gottaloveit2, and Marisa Wright offer the best advice you should follow them. I'm feeling motivated now, thanks.

5. light20 profile image82
    light20posted 6 years ago

Wow. Reading all through these comments really makes me want to strive even further. I just retrieved my account yesterday after four years being inactive and noticed that few of my published articles are doing rather well. So I applied to adsense and got lucky! It was really overwhelming because I initially thought to just leave my HP career. Now, I am learning about SEO and backlinking hopefully to give my hubs a boost in traffic. I'll be glad if someone can lead me to a substantial hub or article about these. big_smile

I suggest you read Wrylilt's Hub on using Google Suggest to find keywords and also her article on Wizzley about keyword research. She gives solid advice on the subject. But there are many resources on the Web about SEO.

6. gottaloveit2 profile image60
    gottaloveit2posted 6 years ago

Kain 360: I definitely agree that the Constant Content editor is tough, but I've never found him difficult to work with.

When I first started writing there, it was daunting. The first article I wrote came back to me three times. BUT, the reasons were valid and the editor made me a stronger writer.

It's worth trying the site. Also, they send frequent requests for writers needed for different opportunities. For example, they just sent out a call for writers such as this latest one:

Hey Lori,

We have a client that is looking for Canadian writers to produce thoughtful, detailed and engaging SEO travel content.

Aside from the ability to write engaging and grammatically-correct copy, applicants must be detail-oriented, organized and have the ability to respond in a timely manner.

Target Audience: Travelers, busy professionals.

Scale of Project: The content includes short descriptions, SEO pages based on different cities, airports, hotels, what can you do in a layover, etc.

Price: $25/page for 400 word articles, with the client commissioning approx. 500 articles/month.

Requirements: Must have experience writing travel pieces, and can create HTML formatted content. Your writing style must be high-quality, thoughtful, with a consistent style and tone. Must be open to constructive criticism and be able to turn around revisions from the client within 24 hours.

Contact: Please respond to sstewart@constant-content.com by Friday, May 12 5PM PST if you’re interested in being considered for this project.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)