How much in your opinion should I expect to earn from Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image59
    Jcamdirposted 9 years ago

Let me be honest with you, I joined Hubpages in the hope that I will be able to earn some extra income to supplement my college expenses. I know there is no such thing as easy money and I shouldn't expect to live off my earnings on hubpages. But, If I get a good number of my hubs featured, how much should I expect to earn off them.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A "good number" of hubs?  Somewhere between 10 cents per month and $1,000.

It just isn't possible to make such a call at all.  The best that can be done is to say that you might expect to earn between $2 and $5 per 1000 views and even that is extremely variable and does not include any Amazon or eBay income.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you want to earn extra money for college, I suggest you try Bubblews.  If you work at it, the money comes regularly and much faster than on HP.  Also write on HP to get money in the long run.  That way you will be covering all of your bases.  Many here earn very little, some earn a great deal...all of it takes a lot of hard work and a deep love of writing.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As Eric says, writing on sites like HubPages, or on a blog, is a long-term investment.  The whole idea is that your articles earn pennies slowly over time, but over time that mounts up to a good return.

So for instance, my best-performing Hub has earned around $400 - far more than it would ever have earned if I'd sold it, but it has taken five years to earn that money.

1. Aneegma profile image71
        Aneegmaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking forward to my hub earning that one day! So far I'm on $100 a month so not too far off. But i totally agree with you. HP is a long term investment and if you want fast money, sign up for an odd job.

4. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Speaking as a seven-year member of the site, it takes the average person nine to eighteen months to accrue their very first payout, depending on their writing skill, topics chosen, attention to detail, time spent on SEO and promotion, etc.

How much time are you going to have alongside your college studies to work what equates to a full-time job?

Because that's what it takes to earn tangible, useful amounts of money from sites like this...  Otherwise, you can expect your Hubs to maybe buy you lunch on the rare occasion.

2. Bishop J L Hayes profile image77
    Bishop J L Hayesposted 9 years ago

I am not sire what others are doing. I have been a member for 2 months. I have 70 featured hubs with 80 -to 150 (over 200 on weekends) views daily. at this time I am earning $0.60 a day. on average. At this stage I am very unimpressed considering all the nonsense one must put up with.

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bishop..

To earn you have to get traffic, this means writing about things that people are searching for.
      Some search terms will have thousands of people searching for them every day while others will rarely get one search a month. You can also be pretty sure that those search phrases that have thousands of people using them have thousands of good sites to compete against also.

Traffic will improve over time, especially if you are writing within one specific niche as you are. The traffic you have missed while waiting for adsense to approve you is peanuts, so you have hardly lost anything, especially as you have only been here 2 months.

If you want to know what traffic you could realistically expect use the Google Keyword tool to find out how many people are searching for your keywords. If you are not sure what these are just search in the search box at the top of the page and you will find many hubs on the subject.

It annoys me to see people on here complain and complain when they really do not understand even the basics, just because you write something does not mean you are entitled to a fortune for your time! I thought patience was a virtue.................................................

2. csilano profile image60
      csilanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bishop,

I have to agree with you.. 60 cents per day with over 70 featured hubs? Frankly, I find that ridiculous. I keep hearing people say "Hub Pages isn't for fast money, you need to be in it for the long haul" - Sure, I agree, but 70 hubs and less than $1 per day? We may as well be working for peanuts!

I was doing a little ROI the other day, trying to figure out if HubPages is worth the effort. I write articles for other sites and can easily get 5$ for a 400 word article. If I sell 70 articles @ 5 bucks a pop, I'm getting 350$. Now I know...passive income, hubpages continues to generate income even when I don't write but still....I'd rather $350$ today then 500$ spread out over two years. I'm beginning to think along the same lines as you. This may not be worth the effort!

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You may well be correct in that HP is not the place  for you.  While the ROI can be reasonable in terms of earnings per hour worked, it will take several years to earn it.  It will also continue to grow beyond that point, but nevertheless the immediate earnings are just not there.

But there is another problem.  70, 400 word articles that take a half hour to throw together are not likely to earn much on HP, whether early OR late.  If that is what you are writing it would probably be best to simply sell them at $5 each.

2. galleryofgrace profile image71
        galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

48 featured hubs and most of the time less than 10 cents a day is about the average for me and many others. There's no money here.

3. Bishop J L Hayes profile image77
    Bishop J L Hayesposted 9 years ago

Here is something else that I have been a victim of: I had fifty featured hubs before I was accepted in Adsense, though I had applied 5 times. Now, a hubs get the hot hits during the first week or two of being posted.  So the earnings from by first 50 featured hubs goes to HP 100%. They are most likely by best buds because I tried to put my best foot forward in the beginning. So. my advise to new hubbers is to post adequate hubs first but hold you best back for after you are accepted by AdSense.

1. EricDockett profile image97
      EricDockettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have to make a couple of comments here, only because of newbies who might read this and get the wrong idea.

A Hub that earns over time will not see its best traffic when first published.  In fact, a good Hub will see only a tiny fraction of the traffic it will get in its lifetime in the weeks, and in some cases months,  immediately after publishing.  If earning is a concern, you need to look at the long view.  Your Hubs are an asset that can earn you income for years ahead.  Missing out on a few bucks while you're waiting to be approved for Adsense really isn't a big deal.  You wouldn't have earned that money anyway.  Why begrudge HP?

Secondly, writing sub-par Hubs on purpose seems like a surefire way NOT to get approved for Adsense to begin with.  New Hubbers struggle enough as it is. Do your best from the beginning.  We all publish enough junk accidentally when we first start out without taking a dive.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
        DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great comment. Even if you try to publish your best stuff at the beginning, a normal writer is going to improve with time and experience, so a suggestion to publish subpar material at first is really hurtful.
        To the original poster: you can count on earning if your hubs answer the kinds of questions people are looking for. Read some of wilderness´s hubs and you will see what I am talking about.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

+1

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

How many hits did they get?   Remember, you only earn around $2 to $5 per thousand hits, and I'd be surprised if you got early views in the thousands.

1. Bishop J L Hayes profile image77
        Bishop J L Hayesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am getting between 60 to 150 hits per day on 70 hubs. My viewer count is approaching 6,000 after 2 month. Not fantastic but a fair amount.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 9 years ago

Like Wilderness said....its really hard to say.....there are many variable factors....How many hubs.....the quality and subjects of the hub.....How your promoting them and are they Google friendly....You can make extra income......but have no illusions....it will take a little time...

5. Author Cheryl profile image80
    Author Cherylposted 9 years ago

I wouldn't expect it to pay your way through college by any means.  You would be better off being a pizza delivery guy.  It will probably take years of writing and I hate to say that but it's the truth before you will ever see any substantial amount from hub pages.  Those that have made good money, so they claim to advertise are not on here.

6. idevices profile image72
    idevicesposted 9 years ago

Hi

Earning from your content at Hubpages is really possible. The only thing you need is good traffic for your content which can only be possible if you write great content. With my articles I have about 600 page views on a daily basis which is earning me around $2 a day. I would say its quite decent considering the amount of page views I have.

7. mbasa profile image38
    mbasaposted 9 years ago

Hubs won't earn you money on their own, advertising will. how much you earn should be driven by your aim for writing here. If you are a content marketer, you need to optimize your hubs, write articles and point to your hub url. Generate traffic for your hubs. People have earned full time incomes from writing for similar sites. It is up to you.

8. G Miah profile image79
    G Miahposted 9 years ago

There is no set amount which you can earn from Hubpages. It all depends on how patient you can be. It takes time to start earning money on HB. Keep writing and you'll see the earnings increase.

9. medsimple profile image61
    medsimpleposted 9 years ago

Hahaha... Don't expect to earn that much from hubpages.  Before you talk of earning that much, you should have enough quality hubs as well as amazon products or ebay attached to them.
    Believe me, to create a quality hub is not as easy as you may think.

10. Melinda Longoria profile image66
    Melinda Longoriaposted 9 years ago

I am making between $0.28 to $1/day right now (avg $8/mo). I do see a steady increase in earnings the more hubs that I publish. Since I started hubpages, I've earned $0 from eBay, $20 from Amazon, and $10 from Adsense. I do also have a few youtube videos out which contributed to that $10 Adsense. This is with 33 hubs published; joined 6 months ago. 8,372 total views averaging about 2237 views per month. I can see how this would work in the long run, but I've completely given up on earning anything from the eBay program. Just focusing on increasing hubs by writing what inspires me & earning on Amazon program.

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You have said it frankly. You will have success soon. Keep on working. Best of luck.

11. Mark Lees profile image77
    Mark Leesposted 9 years ago

I write for hubpages to write about things that interest me or that I care about. There is certainly an element of growing my "brand", although I find the whole notion of having to do that distasteful I know it is a necessity if I want to get to the point that writing what I want to write is my sole source of income rather than writing content marketing and web copy which pays better (in the short term at least) but which bores the living hell out of me,

Biggest problem I am having is commiting enough time to writing here amongst all my other commitments which I am amending by ending a number of my low end contracts writing for small businesses at about $4 per 250 words. Sounds good, but writing about air conditioing, garden fences and such like is destroying my will to live at faster than $4 per 250 words.

12. DeoMor profile image60
    DeoMorposted 9 years ago

Ambivalent is the term that best describes my feeling after reading the responses. 
    I just published my first hub yesterday after leaving Bubblews because I thought it required way to much more attention that I care to give, and thought it rather odd I had not earned a cent a day after being spotlighted and earning a score of 74.  Like Mark, I was hoping to make weekly income starting from the first week.  Alas!

Do I return to Bubblews or do I stay for the long haul?   Hmmm!

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can obviously do what you want, and if you want to write drivel and earn only when you are active Bubblews is the place to be.
      If you do want to write good articles and learn something, do not bother with that site. The first thing you can do is think about your title: If I am looking to read about the transgendered experience, why would I even bother to read your article? Sorry, that is the way things work with the search engines. A title like that might get a few (or even a few hundred) views from Bubblews, but articles here can get thousands of views, if they are written correctly. It does not help me, which is often the reason people even bother to log onto the search engines. Ask yourself, why do you bother to Google?
      If you want to learn more about writing titles look at the hubs by Marisa Wright, Writer Fox, and others that have had a lot of success with the search engines.
      As far as earning income, Wilderness said it all: Writing a bunch of short articles is not enough here--you might as well be selling them for $5 each. Mine earn a lot more than that, even if I do not log on to this site for a week. It is not that I am writing about a subject that has a lot of traffic, just learning and doing it correctly. (I have not yet been on here two years and had never written an article for the internet before this.)
      You can learn and earn more. Or go back to Bubblews. Your choice.

2. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It does not have to be either or - you can do both.  When you have something meaningful you want to write, and it is around 1200 words, write a hub.  When you want to tell people what you ate for breakfast, post a bubble.

I have been here a little over a year, and with 30 featured hubs I get 400-500 views a day.  Some of these hubs are dogs, and only get a few views a week. It was 8 months before I reached the first payout, and have seen payout each month since then.  This month is not as good as other months have been, but there are ebbs and flows with Google updates etc...

I only post one post 1-2 posts a week at Bubblews and reach payout there once every 3-4 months as a result. I don't really trust them, so I don't want to put much effort into the site, but I do like to visit a few people there.

13. chriscamaro profile image88
    chriscamaroposted 9 years ago

I imagine dominating a particular niche combined with some good white hat SEO will help you ramp up more quickly.

14. Melinda Longoria profile image66
    Melinda Longoriaposted 9 years ago

After starting my very first blog today, I have a new perspective on everything hubpages. There is really no cost to get started with hubpages (or any maint costs for that matter). I think this may be one point that we take for granted. It's easy to get caught up in the negativity of complaining. I just paid nearly $100 to start a blog that may or may not make any return for me for a very long time. I'm thankful to hubpages for providing the revenue necessary to pay for the hosting services over at my blog. I will continue to use hubpages and be grateful for their free services which pays me for my content in this learning / growing experience.

1. DeoMor profile image60
      DeoMorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the share.  Gratitude is in order.

2. csilano profile image60

Melinda,

Indeed, I see value in the ease at which Hub Pages gets you started. But 100$ to start a blog is a bit on the expensive side. For example, I registered a domain name for $10 / year. My hosting costs me $5 per month, no startup fees or setup fees. Not sure what route you went, but $100 is a bit on the pricey side.

15. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Patience pays!  Be cool and confident. Concentrate on only one mission: Writing. Try to reach your 100 hubs ASAP. Money will come. It is like a music created on a violin, that is slow to high in a systematic rhythm.  For me, it was just $ 5 this time last year, but now it is more than $ 200. So dear, don't lose hope. You will earn enough as time progress.  Nothing is impossible. Keep on writing. And best of luck!

1. csilano profile image60

Very well stated. Your advice applies well to HubPages or any other challenge one may face in life! Keep at it, keep working hard!

Thanks for your kind words.

2. DeoMor profile image60
      DeoMorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The beauty in your words is enough motivation.  I started at 74 2 days ago and am now at 79.  I'm getting there.

Glad to hear that from you.

3. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sunilkunnoth, I have heard from lots of people that when you get over 100 of anything, whether it's hubs, items in Etsy stores or other stuff on your account or subdomain, that traffic automatically goes up a lot because you are seen as more of an authority in Google. Would you say this was the case for you?

Suzanne, I have heard this upward trend starts by the time you reach a level of 70 - 75 hubs.  My experience is 100% ok with this observation, that I got a fantastic change in traffic as well earnings. Anyhow it is 100% sure after 100 hubs. Our visibility in Google is tremendously increased since then.

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
          Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well that is encouraging! One of my successful Etsy friends said the same thing, so it's a good benchmark to remember for all different sites wink

16. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Earning on HP is for the patient, diligent writer who has the time to wait for traffic to increase, the commitment to creating a strong following, and the dedication to keep writing despite poor earnings. As someone who has recently joined HP, but has written for several other revenue share sites, I know that good writing pays off in the end and that the earnings do start to roll in eventually, and when they do, its amazing!

But revenue share is not for everyone. In fact, Id say the majority of writers looking to earn from their writing can't stand the time it takes to earn money with rev share writing.

17. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

I find it hard not to laugh when I keep seeing the same things being said over and over again about earning (or not earning) money on hubpages vs getting paid up front for your articles.

Most of the people that complain do not write about things that people are searching for on Google so they are not going to be getting search engine traffic.. So if you write about "My pet three toed sloth's favorite bedtime reading" you can guarantee that you will not get any visitors....
    But of course if you wrote that same article and sold it - ah - sorry no one would actually buy it because the people that buy articles either target keywords or popular niches - so just try and find anyone that will buy any of the articles that are not currently getting any traffic and hence not earning....

People that pay for articles pay for something that is going to earn for them...

So if you want to earn write about something that people are searching for.. Believe me if you are being paid to write about something it will be something people are searching for or to add to something that already has a huge readership...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)