I'd like feedback on my article: Hurricanes: Be Prepared to Stay Safe

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. L.M. Hosler profile image90
    L.M. Hoslerposted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Hurricanes: Be Prepared to Stay Safe. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. profile image0
      Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Your article is really good. I don't see any discernible problems with your article. Remember, I'm not very detailed. The last time I criticized an article, I almost attacked a Fellow Hubber. His article was horrible. Since then, it has improved considerably. I'm not an expert in detail.

As a South Florida resident, I've experienced a few hurricanes, including Wilma, Katrina, and Irma, all while in South Florida. Irma was worse than Wilma for me, because we had sustained winds of 60-70 miles per hour, with wind gusts of 90+ mph at times, and Irma was bigger than Wilma. We had Wilma for 17 hours, while we had Irma for more than 30 hours. I'm sure other people will point out the flaws in your article. Well, have a nice day.

EDIT: You know when Hurricane season starts and ends, but the US Disasters started during Harvey, but you already knew that.

L.M. Hoslerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for thanking the time to read the article. It passed and became featured the second time. I just can't seem to get traffic to my articles like I should.
        How much damage did you have from the hurricane? I was in Florida for six years and was there for Hurricane Ivan but we left the area, then came back when it was safe, but I do remember getting prepared before we left.

1. profile image0

For Katrina, we got a knocked down tree. For Wilma, we got our neighbors's shingles destroyed. For Irma (I moved to a different area of South Florida in 2009, but in the same county), we suffered only light damage. We were prepared. We had hurricane shutters and everything to the nines.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read your article, but I have to tell you that writing an article about Hurricane preparedness is almost a waste of time because your competition for this information is every government agency and every weather reporting agency in the US.  There is tons of info about this topic from highly credible sources and that's where most people will go to find it.

You can write the best article in the world, but it won't do you any good if it won't be seen!

Thank you. I am sure you are right about that. I just thought maybe I had some useful tips that wouldn't be found on those sites.

2. profile image0
    pen promulgatesposted 6 years ago

I seriously don't understand why such a good article has not cleared the QAP.  Even if it has competition, it still has points worth considering.
    Perhaps, if you made this article a little more personal and less generic by talking more about your personal experiences, difficulties you faced, inconvenience that occurred, how u dealt with it, some tricks and measures that kinda surprisingly helped you, etc would breathe more life in your article.
    Also, as you have many essential pointers, you can rework Ur title as, let's say, '20 Most Crucial Provisions Helpful During a Hurricane' or a title in those lines will sound more appealing and will demand attention.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the help. It did clear the second time after I changed some photos. Your advice on adding personal experiences is very good and I am going to go back and add some to the article.

3. profile image0
    pen promulgatesposted 6 years ago

Lovely. I look forward to reading it again smile

It may take a few days till I get to it. Working limits my writing time.

1. profile image0

I also have limits. 1:00 PM is usually my computer time. I get off 40-90 minutes before 7:00 PM because of my stupid afternoon meds.

4. Health Reports profile image83
    Health Reportsposted 6 years ago

Since hurricanes tend to hit resort communities, I'd like to add a suggestion to your preparations.

Those with pools and pool furniture should toss the furniture into the swimming pool before the hurricane hits.  This prevents that light furniture from heading off to Kansas.

1. profile image0

Don't forget the inland effects of a hurricane. Recent examples are Hurricanes Irma, Matthew, Ivan, and Katrina.

2. L.M. Hosler profile image90

We were lucky and had two garages so we placed all that furniture inside. I'm not sure the wind wouldn't still carry off the furniture. I do remember getting into a pool filled with branches and roof singles. You couldn't even see what else might have been in there.  We got in the pool with our sneakers to clean it out and were lucky there were no tears or holes in the liner of the pool.

1. profile image0

I am a failure in meteorology. I erroneously predicted that Jose would impact the US Northeast Coast with major impacts. LOOK WHAT JOSE DIDNT DO!!! BRING MAJOR IMPACTS TO THE US!!! I predicted that Maria would impact the US with devastating impacts. MARIA IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN OFFSHORE!!! That's two failed articles right then and there. I'm a failure at hurricane predicting. I'm just a failed meteorologist, all hype. I'll never be successfull at Hubpages.

It all depends on what you consider successful. You have to keep on trying & learning. You are young & have lots to learn but in the end you will be successful.

1. profile image0

I am successful. Look who got his 3rd article in a vertical site? My article on a Hypothetical Slow-Moving Category 5 Hurricane Over Florida was moved to a vertical site. I don't know how, or why.

Good. Keep up the good work.

1. profile image0

thank you!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)