McCain speech, Trump Twitter

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

It's pretty telling that Trump considered McCain calling out "blood & soil" as a personal attack. Those bigot nationalists are his people.

President Trump warned on Tuesday that he would "fight back" after Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) delivered a blunt denunciation of nationalist forces "People have to careful, because at some point I fight back. I'm being very nice. I'm being very, very nice. But at some point I fight back, and it won't be pretty."

Threatening a former Vietnam POW with fatal cancer. Disgusting

What did McCain say that got General Incompetence threatening a U.S. Senator?

Here it is:

“To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a century, to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain ‘the last best hope of earth’ for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems,” McCain said, “is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history.”

America is about what America stands for, McCain said.

“We live in a land made of ideals, not blood and soil,” he said. “We have a moral obligation to continue in our just cause, and we would bring more than shame on ourselves if we don’t. We will not thrive in a world where our leadership and ideals are absent. We wouldn’t deserve to.”
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13744642_f1024.jpg

Threatening government officials of the United States is a felony under federal law. What do you think Trump meant by his threat, violence? Or withholding medical care for a dying man? What do you think Trump had in mind when threatening a U.S. Senator with something 'ugly'?

Meanwhile Florida announced a state of emergency 3 days prior to rally by Richard Spencer who calls for “peaceful ethnic cleansing”  - the same one who coined the term “alt-right” to make the group’s views more palatable.  He's one of the people Trump defended by saying 'both sides' and not condemning white supremacist views.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13744657.jpg

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Trump is a cowardly bully not fit to lick John McCain's shoes.

The more he talks, the more people see it.  I find those who continue to defend the racist man-child to be far more scary than the insane clown in high office.  They put him there and they keep him going.

He is a low, low man in a high place.

"A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom."

ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks you-all

1. profile image0

??

2. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

The silence is deafening. Will anybody speak out against racism? No? Nobody out there?

white people perpetuate racism by denying that they are racist and
    by being afraid of racial controversy. “We need to stop wondering ‘am I racist?’ and ask how aware we are of the concerns of people of other races,”

Silent racism is dangerous because it is insidious: It is hidden, and yet silent racism contributes daily to the institutional racism

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Consider my post as speaking out, I have brought this topic up more than once....

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

Yes, those who defend his behavior are not ashamed of his rude, lewd conduct. Strange that many of these same protagonists call themselves Xtians. lol

1. profile image0

With their support of Trump, Christians have been exposed for what they really are.

Christians are not holier than thou, just forgiven, and then that what gets them smug.

1. profile image0

I am perfectly confident they are not holier than me.  Many of them, however, believe otherwise.  That is why they are often so despicable.

Before I get piled on, not all Christians are hypocrites.  However, if you're a Christian and you voted for Trump, you have been exposed.

uh-uh - no way!
            I don't agree with that.

1. profile image0

What part do you disagree with?

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So true, I know a few believers who'll get really angry when you try to question them about what they see "Christlike" in his behavior. I thought they were supposed to simply "turn the other cheek." I suppose they haven't read the rulebook....

4. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

The OP, (minus the cute graphic), seemed a good conversation starter, even if it was an invitation for a Trump pile-on, but for it to degenerate so quickly into a Christian bashing thread - with the bashers so enthusiastically jumping on, has certainly changed that.

Do you folks understand how such comments reflect on you?

ps. silly me, I even had to Google what "Xtains" meant. Is its use intended as just shorthand for Christian, or does it have a more slanderous connotation?

GA

1. profile image0

I don't mind you chastising me, and I agree that some will judge me for judging Christians. We all judge each other all the time.

As long as you are similarly outraged by every instance of one group or person judging another,  then you're on firm ground. wink

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There was no chastisement intended Prettypanther. It was just my opinion, an observation - posted as a general reply, and not specifically directed.

Also, I might feel comfortable that your recall of my forum contributions would find me on fairly solid ground by your parameter - although my perspective was about the "denigration," not the judging, and "outraged" is much stronger then I would have said.

GA

1. profile image0

I understand. Is labeling a Christian who voted for Trump  a "hypocrite" what you consider to be denigrating?  Or, is it because I  said so many are "despicable"? Is that bashing?

Christians have consistently been on the wrong side of history,  especially when it comes to equal rights for all of humanity. That's pretty despicable to me.

But, you're right.  I have not been in a mood to cut any Trump supporter,  Christian or otherwise,  any kind of slack for quite awhile now.  I  am aware of it, and I  feel no remorse or hesitancy whatsoever about my blunt and caustic behavior.  They voted for chaos and hate and discord and selfishness and pettiness. Let them experience the consequence of their choices.  The rest of us have to endure the daily onslought of embarrassing stupidity emanating from their choice. The blow back they are getting from me and others is wholly deserved.

Keep trying to rein me in, though. Every time you do,  I  do think about whether what I have stated is unwarranted and will acknowledge when I regret crossing my own line.

This isn't one of those times, though. I  mean every word  I've written here.

Dern GA, I thought you were a word person being in the newspaper game and all that! tongue

It's easier to write is all there is to it, but if the Xtians don't like it, all the better.  And I care not how they like my comments. I often disagree with theirs as well. smile

Hi Randy,

I was serious when I said I had to look it up, I didn't know it was a term for Christians. (and no matter what game I am in, I am sure this is not the only word I am not familiar with.  I remember once having to be straightened out about "lizard brain," which I thought was just a slander. Come to think of it, it might have been PrettyPanther that enlightened me. ;-) )

But, knowing, now, that it does, it seems its use might be intended to be similar to "name-calling." Plus, remembering, from a few years back, some controversy over the use of X-mas for Christmas, also seems to reinforce my perception of the reason for its use.

Brevity does have its value, (although I rarely qualify), and since that was your reason for using it ...

GA

1. profile image0

Yes, it was me who used the term 'lizard brain."

Good memory.  smile

Hmm... my wife accuses me of selective recall," (among other things). Now I am wondering what determines the "selective" part.

GA

If it offends you GA, let me know, and I'll use "believers" instead. smile

A lot of behaviors bother me Randy, but very little offends me. This issue doesn't fit in that "very little" category. But thanks for the consideration.

GA

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

Give me a little break GA. I was raised in a Baptist home here on the very buckle of the Bible Belt and was forced to attend church until I was a teenager. Around here there are more Xtian churches than could possibly be filled each Sunday. In the words of Tom Sawyer, "you cain't swing a dead cat around here with hitting a Xtian up side the head."

This part of the country is also a very racist part of the US, as are most former slave states. The slaves went from slavery to something almost as bad as their former situation. This something was called "share cropping." I'm sure you're aware of the practice, but perhaps not fully. Many big landowners would pay for the seed and fertilizer for a sharecropper to do all the labor. He would furnish the farmer with a place to live--often old slave dwellings--and pay the farmer off in script or tokens which could only be spent at the landowners commissary. This way the landowner eventually recovered all of the profits from the crops with higher than normal prices at the commissary.

I'm telling you all this because in many cases these landowners were also preachers. I personally knew such a person and he was as evil a man as I've ever met in my long life. To this day I've never met but one honest preacher. He worked during the week and preached for free on Sunday.

But then, I could be wrong........

Hi Randy, I did give you a break, or at least I thought it was one. You know, when I said it didn't offend me, but thanks for offering the consideration....

I can understand your perception, as related in your sharecropper story. Way back in the televangelist scandals days I asked a quietly religious relative what those scandals did to their faith. His answer was simple and sincere: "The Bible tells us to put our faith in God, not man, for man is imperfect."

I had no more questions and nothing for response. That might also be a fair consideration when lumping all Christians, (except that one good one you mentioned), together as one.

GA

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

I'll simply reply to your comment this way, GA. If a black person had the temerity to enter the church I was made to attend, I would have feared for his/her life.. One has to live among racists to understand what they are capable of doing to those they feel superior to. You'll have to take my word for it unless you want to read this:

https://letterpile.com/creative-writing … -The-World

I don't need to take your word for it Randy. I am old enough to have lived when those attitudes were much less covert, and those towns and communities were much more commonly found.

I have also seen those times change . I believe that generally we have made great strides, but I am not naive enough to think they no longer exist.

If you are tying these experiences of racism and extreme conservatism to Christians solely from your personal "church folks" experiences, then I think you might be missing a couple other very probable motivators that have nothing to do with religion, but with which religion is usually a part of the parcel.

However, I never intended this to become a religious discussion. I put forth an opinion/observation, you offered an explanation and answer - so we're all good for the next topic that arises.

ps. just so there is no misunderstanding, I think we ended on a good note. Hopefully you do too.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)