Should I change my picture...

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

I'm considering changing my profile picture because I want to be more professional but I don't know. What are your thoughts? I know many people have changed their pictures to resemble what their hubs are and I want to make sure my readers and fans know clearly what I write about most often and what my passion is.

Thoughts?
    Concerns?
    All Welcome

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No!!!! Your pic is cute. You don't need to change it to match your hubs.  It shows personality the way it is.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

hmm idk im thinking yea change it....

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Depends on why you're here. If you're here to make money, who cares. Your current pic is great. If you're here to make friends, well, your current pic is still great!

4. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I change my pic all the time, whenever the mood strikes. I keep it to old Hollywood actresses b/c thats what I like--you can use whatever u want for your pic. It has nothing to with your hubs smile

5. BrianFanslau profile image61

Hmm now I'm still confused sad So I have 2 votes stay one vote change and one right in the middle.

The choices the choices. Thanks for your imput this far I'm going to play in photoshop for a while and I will post for you guys some options for possible changes unless I continue to get more votes to keep my current picture. (BTW I have long hair, just about to pass my shoulders. Are man tails still in?)

1. profile image0

*whistle* a hubpages fashion show woooo!!!!

6. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Hi brian, I just had a look at your profile and you already have pictures on your hubs, which look pretty profesional to me, however i guess if you want to look even more professional, you can always post a picture of yourself in a suit and tie?

7. BrianFanslau profile image61

Ok so I worked on a few pictures in Photoshop and I was unable to find any that I am in a suit. But of these three what do you think?

Possibility #1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/38971981@N08/3803068608/

Possibility #2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38971981@N08/3803068670/

Possibility #3
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38971981@N08/3803068834/

Thanks again for all of your help smile
    Also I tried to put the picture in the post using HTML but it wouldn't let me. any suggestions for the future would be cool

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like one and three.....they show you have a fun ,friendly and easy going disposition..smile your present pic is ok ,but makes you look real young is all.

yea make yaself look like a Hot Rocker ,that will bring in some traffic ,then if that dont work ,flick(r) to something serious like mR Executive ,good luck!!

2. White Teeth profile image60
      White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Photo number 1 - your eyes look a little dilated, not good for someone in safety gear...

Photo number 2 - good, but you probably want more of a head shot

Photo number 3 - nahhh...

It just depends on what you are going for - your current photo makes you look "sweet" and young

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your goal is to project yourself as a "Social Media Entreprenuer and Marketing Advisor," I would say none of the 4 pictures (including your current avatar), but you might get away with something like this:

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/brian.jpg

I would also fix the spelling of the words you use to describe yourself.

And get a haircut, hippie! lol

1. beautyrose profile image61
        beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh should I post my photo in swim suit? hehe kidding

4. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your current pic, but possibility 3 is pretty awesome...... did you do that yourself? I think it shows that your a man of diverse talents and has a slight mystery attached to it.

8. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Brian, if you're not yet happy with any of the options (as you mentioned), then hang in there, but yeah, I'd change it eventually.

Of the 3 links you posted for consideration, I like both the one with the safety shield and whiskers and the one where it looks like you own the city. 

I'll probably get slapped upside the head for this by you and/or other folks who love ya, but the first time  I ever saw your present avatar, I honestly thought you were a chick.  Then I realized I didn't know that many such named Brian (though you never know these days), so....  The reason I mention this is that the one with the facial hair makes your gender REALLY clear at first glance without sacrificing the long hair (which is way-the-heck better than my no hair).

1. mommyfreelancer profile image74
      mommyfreelancerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brian, don't take offense but I thought you were a girl, too! :-)

I like your current pic, it looks very refreshing and very apt with your profile (one of the reasons I joined as a fan).

I have changed mine several times, including an actual picture of me with my favorite Sir Paul McCartney - well, a statue of him, that is!

Now am sticking with my current odesk image, because most probably I will write about writing.

For the record, my vote is, don't change your picture :-)

2. karpouzian profile image59
      karpouzianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brian, sorry to say this, but until I read this thread, I did also.

9. BrianFanslau profile image61

Wow so I wonder how many other people have thought I'm a girl...

I'm 22 years old now and I've been told I look your but when people meet me they think I should be 35 it is really weird and this has again confirmed this weird "old spirit" kind of aura I must give off in my writing and speaking with people.

Thanks again for all of your input and I'm not offended at your earlier statements that you thought I was a girl smile

I'll keep the thread open for a while as others might like to give their 2 cents worth too and This has been a lot of fun learning how a picture can influence people's view of your self.

1. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well everybody  would  know you were a boy if you have stated it clearly in your profile as well as your birthday.But of course we sometimes want to keep our identity until we know people well.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

With a name like Brian I always assumed you were male smile

11. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I say you change it. I dont know, its too 'dude' like. But thats just my opinion. In the end, you get to do whatever you want. smile

12. emievil profile image66
    emievilposted 14 years ago

You're 22?!?!?!?! I thought based on your avatar that you're like 18 or 19 or not even out of school yet. By all means, change it if you want to. Personally I like the second pic as it makes you look really young (it's not all in the age). Plus your happy-go-lucky / carefree attitude shows in that pic. But then again, I have my dog for an avatar so maybe you can opt for another avatar that does not show your face. Like beautyrose here - cute avatar BTW.

13. BrianFanslau profile image61

Thank you all for your input I think I will be changing my picture to the one that has been posted here 2x over smile

But we will see I may change it again soon once I get a myself into a formal wear kind of thing.

I consider you all my friends here and I really do appreciate your input. This has been most helpful and delightful.

1. profile image0

darn it I missed the show! 

I like them all but if you must change it, I like 2.  Your so adorable. I want to pinch your cheeks. big_smile

14. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I change my profile picture all the time, usually something goofy (my niece is always snapping pictures) so I put them up, I like changing it up. I am professional all the time at work, it's fun to be different here.  That's why HP is great, be something different or stay the same smile

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you look hot in this pic, look at those lips. Mmuah right back at ya. What're you trying to do? Seduce me? Are you married? Will you marry me? wink

15. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You are young, have fun as it reflects your youthful character. When you get tired of it you will change it, but personally you are adorable in your pic.smile

16. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I like the cartoonish one just posted. It's you only better. You can get the same ole' tired pic and change it up a bit with photoshop. My fav is Picnik. You can do all sorts of crazy stuff on it that those others listed in this forum can not. Sometimes I recycle my pics that way. You are adorable, so you can't go wrong either way. My teenybopper daughter thinks you are adorable too.

17. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

you are very adorable in pic 2...and you look older...

18. rpgshow.com profile image60
    rpgshow.composted 14 years ago

I also think you can change it follow your mood.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)