Would the True Church Have a Name?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (88 posts)
  1. sooner than later profile image61
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I hear and I used to say, "I don't think God's Church would have a name", but now I know that there is a true Apostolic Faith. It would have a name. The Jews were chosen in their time-and they had a name. Todays Apostolic Faith is Historic Seventh Day Adventism. Historic because wolves have entered Seventh Day Adventism and kept the name.   

What would we look for in the pure Apostolic Faith?

1. They will have to understand Revelations. If your church says Revelations is a closed book- read this. If your church has a curse on reading Revelations- leave.

Rev. 1:3 Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand. (notice it says prophecy- the church will have a prophet that can desipher the prophecy) Revelations also identifies the dragon.

2. Rev 12:17 "and the dragon was wroth with the woman and went to make war with the remnant of her seed which keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." (so they will follow all 10 commandments and have the testimony of Jesus)

3. It will be a world wide church. Matt. 24:14 "and this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world"

4. There will be a large fallout and Wolves enter.

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

-7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

-8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

1. profile image0
      ClareBarosposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

*angel is grabbing pop-corn and beer, and making himself comfortable*

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

scoot over I'm sitting down

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*sits down in between Scott and Misha holding up a big bag of mixed chocolate candies* candy?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm bringing cashews. Scoot over people.
          LOL

Revelations is written as a dream. To understand it, you need to not only "feel" what the images mean, but you need to know about dream symbology. And that, friends is the reason why Revelations has been "interpreted" and "deciphered" by lots of "prophets." Therefore, I have grave doubts about people who profess to have the "keys" to such understanding. They are, quite simply, a dime a dozen.

Hence a similar difficulty with Isaiah's writings. Isaiah was a very literate man, and therfore, his imagery is based on literary symbols, not emotional based dream symbols. And in order to decipher Isaiah's writings, you need to be fluent in the culture and connotations of the day. Not likely for most.

As for the name of the true church, well, hell, aren't there enough with the name of God in their titles to confuse anyone on the planet?? How on earth could one unlock the secret of the name of "the true church?" It's just another argument based in scripture and opinion, to me.

So scoot over, and make room, I'm offering my cashews and we'll see where this goes....
          smile

3. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I would think that a "True Church" would be called the body of Christ.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Do you mean the name of the building or the name the people give themselves who gather there.

Scipturally Jesus said to Peter , Upon this rock I shall build my church ,so I take Gods Church to be built upon His concepts and not anything man-made (thought up)

Perhaps 'the true church' is a body of believers with a body of faith ..thats what I think anyway smile

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once again, Eaglekiwi, I am inpired by your insight.

1. profile image0

really..you are an inspired thinker

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh quit it guys , you is makin me blush all over tongue but thankyou

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Davina , I surprise myself sometimes lol ;)now watch someone come n stuff it up lol

Flicks popcorn at the gallery cool

2. sooner than later profile image61
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Matt. 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

This happened just after Peter anounced that Jesus was the Christ. Jesus tells Peter "thou art Peter" Hebrew punctuation is more clear. (and Peter is about to fail Jesus 3 times. Peter was very bold and seeked favor often.) but then he talks about Himself (Jesus) "upon this rock I will build my church" Jesus is saying Peter is correct about who Jesus is.

They keys unto the kingdom of heaven are given to all the disciples. It is the testimony of Jesus Christ and the acceptance of Him as the Savior. (not just talking to Peter)

Peter did not missunderstand this- why did he not build the church upon himself when Jesus was gone. James did the most here- but again not in his name.

Yep knew it was there somewhere "Unpon this rock" Jesus would build his Church...and the Rock is symbolic for shelter ,safety,
        Salvation etc .

So meeting in a persons house could qualify as " A rock" or true Church ...just as well as a Cathedral ..

Actually in Jesus time they quite often met in homes , and today many Christians meet during the week , in a similar fashion.

Church is not a building ,but a buidling can be your Church -make sense...smile

5. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

if god has a name, would his name be mentioned in the true religions name, now i wonder

Yahweh

1. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so would we be looking for a religion bearing that name

I think that it is very important that we know what to call Him. My belief and argument will indicate that there is absolute truth in the word and God intends absolute truth to His church. Many translations of the name are given unto the meaning of the name.

1. Jerami profile image58
            Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was confused as to if I was praying to the "right" God I started my prayer to the God of Abraham Isac, Jacob, Ishmael...father of The Christ.  Then I stopped worrying about that.

Yes, I am sure we can develop a relationship so that we don't have to go that far. He knows our heart. I did the same thing as well though.

6. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Is the true Apostolic faith the only true faith? I'm a little confused by what you are asking OP, is this kind of like making a statement by using a question or an actual question, if you will clarify then I will know how to phrase my replies, in order to meet the requirements of an answer correct and pleasing to your train of thought and thus conducive to a harmonious exchange of opinion.

First I must ask you- do you believe when Jesus talks about a bride or a woman, is he talking about a church or a literal woman?

1. profile image0

Well my friend scripture tells us that the church is the bride

Well then I think you just answered your own question.

1. profile image0

Except you didn't you did answer your own ego though

My Question- Would the True Church have a name?
              I said yes, I gave a name and I helped identify why. what is unclear? I understand you the least. I am sorry, I am not trying to be rude- my point to you Scott is that the Bible is factual or it is not. I believe it to be so, you have indicated that it is not.

1. profile image0

No I've indicated that to some it is not factual all you have done is indicate what you yourself believe to be true but not what all hold to be true, be careful my friend you're walking a fine line with your statements.

That was not your question though. So, ask me what it is you will ask

No not an actual woman, no no no big_smile

7. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

True Church is  the most hypocritical name to give to a group of selfish and proud people that think they're the chosen ones. Give me a break !!. No church is'true' as it's founded by human beings,beings full of errors ,misleads and what have you. Please !!

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

strong strong words there indeed..... there must be some truth somewhere surely

8. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I THINK THAT THE ONLY ONE TRUE CHURCH is when we are alone and we hear that still quiet voice; when we listen to it ...
    then it is church when we say  AMEN

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

excuse my pause the wife sat a plate of bbq ribs baked beens and mc&cheese down and said eqat it now. 
           I do not understand how the church interpretes these chapters as being the Church.  Rev Chapter twelve  would then be saying that the church gave birth to the Christ and later in Chapter 21  Jesus is going to marry his mother.  That don't sound right even in the hills of Arkansas.
            In Chapter 21 the bride is a CITY!   The church may be part of the inhabitence of the city (bride)  but I do not believe that the bride is the Church in either instance. Interpretation of an interpretation of an interpretation twice translated?????????  Maybe.

You are off the tracks a little bit. Mary was the mother, the bride is the church, a woman in Revelations is a church (harlot or true). not that every woman represents the church. Mary is Mary.

I agree , and the gathering of other believers is for edification (building up) smile

9. DennisBarker profile image62
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

I worship at the church of the open mind, which is neither christian. buddhist, humanist or atheist....anyone want to join me?

10. sooner than later profile image61

Interesting that you JUST said that the bride is THE church. More interesting is that you JUST said last night that the Bible is not historically accurate. More interesting is you "my friend".

11. sooner than later profile image61

If I said to you Scott- do you want more truth or more fans, wich would you take?

1. profile image0

I'm not here for either my friend this is my job, I'm here to write not debate.If people like what I write good deal if not they don't have to read it.I surely don't go fishing the forums looking for an argument and an opportunity to browbeat people into My version of God

12. Jerami profile image58

during the days of the old testament the Hebrew nation was the bride of God!!  Gods bride gave birth to the son of God.  That Hebrew nation is the woman mentioned in chapter twelve.

To be so all inclusive as to say that THE  CHURCH is the bride of Christ is also a bit too all inclusive as to say that any believer in God the father of the Christ who does not worship the "Church" is excluded from the wedding is a bit self worshiping.  What would the world be like withoput people like me.  Never questioning themselves!!!  becoming ever so arigant, even if I were to be wrong.

13. quietnessandtrust profile image60
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

When a single congregation is meeting in a house owned by "Joseph", I would call it "the congregation at Joseph's house" and when it gets to be to big and they buy a building on "State Street", call it the congregation on State Street and if it branches out, just use the name of the street it is on in that city and so on and so forth. big_smile

Jesus said that the Pharisees and publicans pray on the street corners that all can see their faith.  Not all but too many churches have become the corner that Jesus was talking about.

1. quietnessandtrust profile image60
        quietnessandtrustposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what does that have to do with what I said?

If ya caint see it it wasn't for ya to see

14. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

True church....Maybe the heart of any person with God on their mind and grace in their work?

Where two are gathered together there I am also.
          I also believe that, if you are in your clauset all alone, praying unto him there will be two.

15. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

How about we go with a church similar to what Jesus established while he was on earth?

In a brief statement, what does that "look like"?

???

It looks like you and me wink or him or her

2. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're asking for too much info, I mean that in only the nicest way. Please except my reluctance to go deeper than that in a public forum.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean no church at all? This always gets my vote smile

1. profile image0

Misha, Misha, Misha! You love to poke fun at us religious folks! We love you anyway!smile

1. Misha profile image63

Sure I do. smile

But was not I right? I don't remember any mention of the Jesus church at Jesus times in the Bible. smile

1. profile image0

He established his church while he walked on earth. He was the profet, he had recruited twelve appostles and they all went about spreading the word. The Nycene Creed turned it all around when Christians allowed a Roman emperor to dictate the establishment of the Christian church.

1. Misha profile image63

Actually here we may agree much more than it may seem. If we assume that such thing as spiritual Christianity ever existed, Council of Nicaea killed it, no doubt...

1. profile image0

Now thats really scarey Misha!

2. Jerami profile image58

no matter how far or fast you go.  When you get there there you are and ,  also your church  Church of one is sometimes best.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62

Actually, if you look at what Christ did, Misha is closer than most about his activities. Remember Christ and the Apostles in the cornfield on the sabbath, not fasting? Remember Christ's reply?
        Remember that Christ healed the sick on the sabbath and the Pharisees and Saducees condemned him for not keeping the sabbath day holy? In other words, he should have been in church.

Whatever.

While everyone else sat in church, he was out among the people, serving them. He only went to synagogue and temple to teach them the error of their ways.

I'm with Misha on this one.

Matt. 12:12
          "How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days."

Isaiah 56:2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

I think we all agree, or is there a point someone is trying to make that I am missing?

3. Jerami profile image58

Good idea!   I think that you might learn more than you will realize

16. quietnessandtrust profile image60
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

@ Jeramimimimi-smile
    No offense man, but does your computer have spell check on it?

Or maybe you can make your replies in a word doc. and then paste them into the reply box big_smile

17. sooner than later profile image61

Scott Asked- "Is the true Apostolic faith the only true faith?"

Yes, of corse. Is it the only faith? No. If there were more than one, Jesus would have said "my churches" Now, that does not mean that only those in the true apostolic faith are the ones going to heaven. But, it is royal, it is holy and peculiar as stated in 1 Peter 2:9.

And this-

Rev. 14:12 "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."

Jesus said "my church". There are many scriptures that describe Jesus's Church. As mentioned b4- it is the people that make the church and not the other way around. It has to have a denominational name because we are all named by nations, and the church(its people) will be in all nations. 

A prophet to understand Revelations becomes extremely important. But God instructed that it would be understood near the end time. Yes, near the end.

where does scripture say that it will be understood near the end ?

2. profile image0

Don't use my name to spread your version of things Sooner, if you can't stand on your own then sit down. I don't pretend to understand what you're trying to accomplish with your posts but from your tone I have a pretty good idea, but that's your right. Leave my name out of it or quote me correctly, you're not going to cut and paste my words like you do scripture to support your agenda

Scott, I have been very diligent in answering your questions. You are the fist person I have ever seen get angry when posting a question to the dotted "i". If you don't like my answeres, relieve yourself. If you don't want any of your words re-posted, don't post anymore words.

1. profile image0

I gave you the option of reason and maturity and you chose to go the other way remember that my friend your words will come back to you. Have a great night.

I missed that notion. I would like to reason on a higher level. If you did offer your mature input and I missed it, I am sorry.

18. Jerami profile image58

I'm getting ready for bed and was just wondering.

19. sooner than later profile image61

Jerami- "where does scripture say that it will be understood near the end?"

yes, I got that from "The Spirit of Prophecy" by Elen White.

I want to write a book someday too.

20. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I think the true church would have the name of Jesus Christ in it somwhere.big_smile

Well if that was His real name in the first place....ok then.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you prefer Yeshua bin David?

That's a bit closer.

Not necessarily ,I mean it doesnt need to have any name , right?

my satellite keeps going out so this my replies may be cut short
              Jesus has a name that no one knows but him.
              The Church needs no name. It is in our hearts.
              There are many misconceptions concerning revelation because too many base their suppositions upon the interpretations of others.
              When we hear others understanding of scripture we must check it out by reading those verses ourselves at the source.
               For instance all those believers described in Chapter twenty are NOT  going to be kings over the earth during or after the 1st resurrection.  It is written that the 24 elders (only)  are to be kings.  The saints are to be priests.(only)
               When we are reading scripture, preconceived  beliefs play havoc with what the words actually say.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62

A lot of them do. Which can you prove is the "true church?" How does anyone prove any of them is the true church?

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you prove the truthfulness of the church by it's fruits. What good do they do for the human family? Do they have charity? Do they build up the kingdom of God on Earth? do they show a true example of Christ-like attributes?

21. sooner than later profile image61

The Peaple are the church- how they behave and what information they posses is what makes up Gods Church. The closest I can find is Historic Seventh Day Adventist. They fit prophecy, they follow the commandments(all of them), and they are "peculiar".

Now prophecy has rules as well. Prophecy is revealed in dreams and prophets do not claim to be as such. We claim our prophets and God reveals His prophets.

They follow ALL of the instructions? Really? Do tell. smile
      Like which ones?

Well ???

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Prophecy is revealed in many ways and not just dreams. You have intuition or a voice speaking to you or you may come to a deduction because of the signs you see.

Meditation is another great way , when one is still or in a trance like state he communicates with god.

All prophets know who they are and claim it.

22. Jerami profile image58

Revelation can be said to be dreams, The few books that I have read imply that the dream symbolism has universal meanings, with a little room for personal interpretation. A horse for instance usually represents things such as strength or loyalty.But if a person is deathly afraid of horses there may be a different meaning when he dreams of horses.
         God has given us some definitions of many of the symbols, in the book of Daniel, that are expressed in the book of Revelation. For instance the bear is Persia, the Leopard is Grecia,teeth of a lion is the Roman Empire etc.
       I believe that when we are attempting to understand revelation it is a necessary to follow the interpretations applied in Daniel. Then the "MYSTERY" can be unraveled through analytical deduction. At least that is what I believe.

23. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Here are some ideas, since you asked:

Salvations 'R Us (An afterlife for EVERYBODY!)

Jesus, Inc. (Free cell phone to every new member!)

Rent-A-Christian (The APR is killer but they don't do a credit check.)

Uncle Bob's Handy Dandy Revival Room (Come on down!)

lol

Oh Pam lol I actually think there is one very close to one of those near me Uncle ? Holy Roller Room , almost gave myself whiplash tryin to see if from the Greyhound...

How bout for Hubpages the Sin Bin , smile

2. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cool I'll go for Rent-a-christian lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)