English Only!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Star22 profile image60
    Star22posted 14 years ago

Why are so many people saying "Speak English only"? It makes that person sound so racist! USA is supposed to be a melting pot of different cultures, races, and LANGUAGES! Shame on anyone who says "Speak English only"!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't find 'speak english only' a racist comment at all in a predominantly English speaking country! There are many immigrants to the US and yes, you should know the language or be willing to learn it. It will only make life easier and open up more opportunities.

I live in Florida where there are many immigrants, not just from Spanish speaking countries, but many Europeans, and Canadians who speak French. I find nothing wrong with people speaking in their native language, but generally people want to assimilate into the culture and also speak the common language.

2. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is English only.

3. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but if you're going to stay here you want to know English. If the English language bothers you then go back to the place that speaks the language you like.

2. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Would you say the same to someone in France saying, "Speak French Only!"?

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

"Melting pot" means that all kinds of different people (or things if you're talking about dinner) are blended together (melted) to make one thing - and that one thing is America, with English as its language.

Most people who say, "speak English", don't care who speaks his own language at home or to his relatives.  Most just don't want to call a government office, bank, or telephone company and have to push a button to get automated messages in English ("press one for English").  Most people don't mind if there's a "press one for x language".  They just don't want English treated as one of a zillion different, equal, languages in a country where English is THE language spoken.

If I went to Italy and got messages in Italian if I called a bank or government agency I'd realize that I had better learn to speak Italian if I planned to stay in Italy.  I wouldn't think anyone was "racist" if they said, "You need to learn to speak Italian."  I wouldn't expect people in Italy to accommodate me, and I wouldn't have the nerve to expect to "turn Italy American" just so I could have my own language/culture there.  America may be a melting pot, but it has its own culture; and that's what people want preserved - just the way people in Italy or Mexico or Greece would like to preserve theirs.   Shame on anyone who thinks they should be able to go to a country other than their native country and have that new country cater to them; or worse, adjust its culture to their preferences.

1. efeyas profile image75
      efeyasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heck Yeah! smile

2. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I moved to another country, I would expect to learn the language of that country.  Period.  No one should be expected to cater to my home language.  In the USA, English is the official language.  Learn to speak it if you want something!

As to racist -- you have a problem.

4. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Where I live, there is actually a language police.  English is the second language here and French is the FIRST.  That means, every sign is written in French in larger letters than the english translation which is written underneath, or sometimes, not at all.

you will often be snubbed for not at least trying to speak french when asking for something, and can face fines for not complying with language laws.

At least there is nothing like that in the States, so I guess you don't have it so bad after all.

However, I find it interesting and actually enjoy the french language and have appreciated getting to learn it.  I don't feel angry that they told me "speak french only".  its their culture and they don't want to lose it.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think that's how it should be (where you are).  Preserving any country's culture is the natural thing to do.  To many of us Americans it often seems as if our country is the only one expected to change its culture to meet the preferences of people coming from other countries.  It's a common thing to hear that there was a time when people came to America to become Americans; but today people come to America, expecting to change the American culture to something that suits them.

When there are signs or phone-answering messages that also include a foreign-language as a courtesy, that's nice - but it's a courtesy.  It amazes me to think anyone who speaks a different language would be offended by anyone who simply thinks the country's primary language is what it is, and anyone speaking other languages need to learn English if they move here.  I don't think it's "racist" for Americans to think, "Welcome to America.  Come be one of us (which means speak the language here)."  When Irish people first started coming to America they faced, "No Irish Need Apply Signs".  Then, too, think of what went on with African-American people as recently as the 1960's.  If we now have foreign-speaking people coming here and being expected to speak the language of the country - boo hoo.   roll

6. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Have to agree with Lisa.

The Greeks are very accommodating to English speakers - most Greeks speak at least a little, and documents written in English are legally binding. They also patiently tolerate my attempts to murder their language. big_smile

However, I understand fully that this is a courtesy and I need to continue learning Greek. It is their country and they have the right to expect that I learn their language - it is a matter of politeness. They have welcomed us, and we have to be good guests and adapt to their ways and customs smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good day to everyone!
      I agree with Lisa, I am an immigrant here in the US, have no problem speaking in english, but of course some slang I am just learning about it like whazzz up, we say it like How are you today?

I think that it is better if you adapt to the prevailing culture (language is on eof the culture you need to learn) but not forgetting your roots if you are immigrant because it will help you in dealing with other insitutions, school, bank, neighbors or people you just meet. You try also to adapt to their food because it is more expensive if you buy imported foods from your own country. (am lucky there are asian stores here in the US)

It is to your own advantage to learn the language because it will be easier in your day to day transactions, well if you have a family then you can also speak your own language at home, but then the children needs to be adapted to the language as they need it in school also.

when I went to Paris also, I tried to learn their language even the basic ones only so people will understand me, like restaurants and train station etc.

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I worked in Miami for several years, and it blew my mind that English is a second language there. Seriously. Billboards and street signs were in Spanish. I couldn't order a freaking tuna melt in the deli because I couldn't speak their language. My daughter went for her driver's license and was handed a test in Spanish. There were more ESOL classes in the schools than not.

I didn't find it "cultural" or "diverse". I found it disgusting. I say more power to those who want to live in the US. But learn the English language or go home.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Miami is really a spanish ghetto.  People who speak spanish and only spanish wouldn't have the opportunities, they're basically stuck there. But they have a nice beach.

2. dejajolie profile image60
      dejajolieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I lived in Miami area for 4 years and yes there were certain areas like Hialeah where everything is in Spanish...it took some getting used to ( I am bi-lingual) however the running joke that may bear some truth is there are more Cubans in Miami then there are in Cuba.....from my experience they are probably right. I have gotten into this debate while in Miami and the response I got was "Spanish was the first language spoken here pre-colonization, etc. so everyone should learn to speak Spanish".... While I'm not a history buff nor does this offend me in either way because I can speak Spanish I thought it was interesting to see "their" side.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if that's the case, they should be speaking a version of native American language that lived in Florida.  Ponce de Leon was led to the Fountain of Youth by Native Americans.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

When my grandfather came here legally from Italy the first things he did were to learn to speak English, buy property, and become a citizen. From that day forward he proudly called himself an American not an Italian-American.

While our family spoke Italian in the family home, English was always the rule when non-Italian speakers were present and when we were dealing with everything ouside the home.

1. Chloe Comfort profile image60
      Chloe Comfortposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same with my family as yours, both parents right off the boat from Italy. I have no problem with people retaing their culture and language but as the saying goes, "When in Rome...". If I were to move to a different country (i.e. Japan), I'd learn to speak (and understand)the native language used there.

9. William Tan Seng profile image61
    William Tan Sengposted 14 years ago

In Singapore, English is commonly used in government office. Because here has so many races like Indian, Malay, Chinese,etc so we use English to communicate amongst different races.

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I dont' find it racist at all. I am a Preschool teacher and expect the kids to speak English as it is my first language. When dealing with kids at my last school who only spoke Spanish, as well as their parents, I found it VERY frustrating. And the Preschool Director didn't care that I couldn't speak Spanish, she kept throwing them into the classroom saying that we just have to be mroe patient and the will learn. HELLO! I'm the on in the class teaching the kids. Not only that but I do deal with a LD so it makes it harder for me to be patient when it comes to another language. My second language isn't spanish or french...it's American Sign Language, the only language that I could understand.

So I say people who live here DO need to learn to speak English as their second language. They can speak their language all they want at home but when it comes to outside and dealing with others who don't speak their language then thay do need to speak English. Especially in a classroom!

11. SOKCGOLD profile image61
    SOKCGOLDposted 14 years ago

It is easy to see both sides of this argument, but it seems that "Speak English Only" is harsher than necessary. If a person is moving to ANY country to live, it would only make sense to try to learn the language. If you are even going to visit, trying to understand the basics, at the very least, will enrich your experience. But if you have never tried to learn another language, you probably don't understand the difficulty. While any new resident should learn the language, native speakers should also try to be helpful, not dismissive. To me, saying "Speak English Only" is only a different way to say, "If you're different, don't bother ME, go away." It seems difficult to me to believe that anyone who has ever learned another language and then travelled abroad would say something like that, understanding just how hard it is.

Having lived in Ecuador for 6 months, I realize that the ability to speak some Spanish made a huge difference in our experience. We dove into the culture and the country and returned with our Spanish vastly improved, but it would have been very difficult if we hadn't prepared some beforehand. But we did meet others who hadn't made that effort, and their experience was not as rich as ours. We also met some who thought that everyone should speak some English, so as not to inconvenience them, which seemed utterly ridiculous.

It must be remembered, however, that many (but not all) immigrants come to this country because they are seeking opportunities that aren't available to them where they are from - including education. They may already feel inferior due to their lack of formal education, and harshly demanding that they only speak English is just going to shut them out more. The problem that I have seen here is that when someone struggles with proper English, many don't have the patience to even try to understand, let alone assist. I can say that we have travelled throughout Central and South America, and can't remember a time when someone wasn't kind and willing to try to work with us and our limited Spanish. And now that we are more fluent, we are accepted much more warmly when we travel.

So, I agree that anyone moving to - or visiting - any other country should make every effort to try to learn the local language. But I don't agree that refusing to try to communicate is good. Try a little empathy - if you were in another country, how would you like to be treated?

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All very good points. I have no disagreement.

But, the issue isn't about living abroad temporarily, or about tourism.
      It is also not in any way racist.

The only issue is that we require a common language in order to communicate. In the United States, that common language is English.

There can't be a "melting pot" if the parts don't melt together. This includes everybody being able to UNDERSTAND each other.

That's all. Not racism. Just practical. And necessary.

12. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I have spent many years living in countries where the native language is not English, and I have always made the effort to learn the language and integrate (not always successfully, I might add, but I have always made the effort).

People have the right to expect to be able to speak the official language(s) in their own country.
    On a recent flight to LAX they gave me a customs declaration form entirely in Spanish - the steward said that he would translate it for me if I had a problem ????

When I go to England, after all the years that I have struggled to make myself understood in various languages in other countries, I do insist that I speak English, the only official language. If there were more than one (like Switzerland, where there are 4), then that's another matter. smile

But how do you spell when you are in England?
      lol

I agree with you completely. I would accept any help I would get, but never expect people to cater to me. That is not to say I don't do my best with immigrants who are new to my area. I'm getting pretty good at speaking English with an Indian accent, and even better at hearing it. smile

Also, I always do my best to help the Canadians who are new to Detroit, eh?

Love your avatar!

1. sannyasinman profile image60
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spelling: I spell it exactly as you spelt it smile
        Avatar: it was a bigger spiral but Hubpages made me crop it.
        Glad you like it!

Do you really have to speak English with an Indian accent?

I don't have to and I don't try to. I just pick it up. hmm
          I think it's because I'm trying so hard to listen LOL

Someone else I know has come to this area from Jordan. His wife is from Albania. I hate to admit I have a hard time with the two of them, they both have heavy accents that are different from each other. I'm good if it's just two of us but when we are all three talking, my brain gets a little buzzy.

I only need to be in Canada for about three minutes before I go with a full-on accent.
          It's embarrassing! I have no control.

Indian accent: Have you started to wag your head from side to side when you talk as well? Do you eat more curries than you used to? Watch out  ... smile

No, I don't have a mannerism problem, just a speaking/hearing thing. My cuisine is branching out though...

I once worked for a man who had moved here from Malta. We were having new equipment installed (I'm in commercial printing). The installer flew here from Israel.
              I promise this is a true story.
              Our head pressman Jose immigrated from Mexico.
              We were calibrating the new equipment to output from my software to match the density Jose wanted in the pressroom. Kinda tricky. Very technical.

The three of them began having a communication breakdown. The more upset they got, the heavier each of their accents got.
              After about 20 minutes of arguing, all three were yelling at each other "SPEAK ENGLISH!" lol

I didn't know whether to stress out about it, or laugh my head off. It was so helpless, I just went home.

That reminds me of the joke where three men are sat on a train in London:

First man: 'Is this Wembley?'

Second man: 'No it's Thursday'.

Third Man: 'So am I, let's go and have a drink' smile smile smile

I like it wink
                  Take care, I'm done for the night.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)