Whats your claim to fame?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Astralbex profile image58
    Astralbexposted 15 years ago

Hi Everyone smile

Just poking about in your pasts, anyone out there got a claim to fame, worked, lived next door or went to school with someone we MAY of heard of?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, in the 60s I lived in the same town in Scotland as Jimmie McCulloch who became a member of Wings and died of a drug overdose. All my friends and I had pre-teen crushes on him, long before Wings. My sister was actually a friend of his then.

Oh, and when my parents were superintendants in Toronto in the early 70s, William Shatner rented one of the town houses for a little while.

2. Bard of Ely profile image80
      Bard of Elyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I went to school with hit-making pop singer and later studio owner Tony Etoria and footballer John Toshack. Many years later in the late 70s I met Tim Hardin (If I was a Carpenter), Captain Beefheart, Marc Bolan and Jonathan Richman (Roadrunner). Years after that '86-1990 I was secretary for Robin Williamson (Incredible String Band) and I met Van Morrison through him. I once had Woody Woodmansey (Spiders from Mars) as my drummer at the Marquee Cafe in the same time era and have photo to prove it at my Myspace gallery.

On the set of Rebecca's Daughters I met Joely Richardson and Keith Allen and have photos with them to prove it too!

I met and chatted with Arthur Brown (Fire) at Glastonbury Festival.

I am a friend of Gruff Rhys of the Super Furry Animals and have been to his house several times.

I also know Howard 'Mr Nice' Marks.

And David Icke whom I have met and corresponded with.

There are more but will that do? lol

2. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I'm not sure which hub it is on but I chronicled how I grew up calling BILLY JOEL my uncle.  I have two of his Gold Records on the wall right here with me.  One is a Gold 45 of "My Life" which eventually became the theme song to the sitcom Bosom Buddies with TOM HANKS!

I also have a Gold Album of BILLY's best album THE STRANGER!  certified by the RIAA and Columbia Records. 

I have also waited tbles in Manhattan where i waited on LAUREN HUTTON, MARISA TOMEI, VICTORIA GOTTI, EDDIE VEDDER, BOB COSTAS, The group TLC, Ace of Base, and I even waited on Stephen Speilberg!

3. tjmum profile image61
    tjmumposted 15 years ago

Oh dear, my claim to fame is really sad! I featured in a BBC show called Trade Secrets where people in certain jobs gave snippets of advice, their 'trade secrets'. As I was working in a hotel at the time I gave advice about hangover remedies (it was for a Christmas special). It was aired Christmas 1999 and 2000, but thank heavens hasn't been shown since!

4. GuitarPicker profile image57
    GuitarPickerposted 15 years ago

Gee, interesting subject.  Although I'm sure you haven't heard about it, most haven't outside of Oklahoma, in the mid 70's while working in a road band out of Oklahoma City, I was voted Lead Guitar Player of the Year by the Oklahoma Country Music Association.  Along with playing back up for many top artists thru the years, studio musician for many recording sessions, and many hours playing in dance bands, I guess thats my little claim to fame.

5. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I went to school with Karen Kwan, the sister of Michelle Kwan.  Karen was not as famous as her sister, but she was a graceful ice skater in her own right.

6. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I slept with one of Mick Jagger's ex-girlfriends and she said I was much better than he was.

I also told Yul Brynner to piss off and sold Lady Diana a Sony Walkman.

Do they count? big_smile

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I am impressed smile.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark, you are hilarious big_smile

1. rmr profile image68
        rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean he was joking? I was going to start a second account, just to join his fanclub again!

3. funride profile image67
      funrideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lollollol

I believe you roll. Thing is you are much more famous than all those people you claim to know tongue.

7. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 15 years ago

I can't really even compete. The best I can say is that a close family member knows one of Nicole Kidman's relatives.

8. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

I don't know how many people know him, but for several years I lived next door to Bozo the clown. Years later, Bozo's sidekick, MR Houdini, was my high school"s student activities director. I also played backup for Lee Greenwood.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I'm ready to believe he is telling the truth - and I wouldn't be surprised if he is kidding big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

All true. smile

10. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Well, seeing as 2 of them are dead and one of them might as well be, I hope so big_smile

The Stones are still touring though......

1. DJ Funktual profile image75
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark Knowles, you just got my vote for hubber of the month. LOL!

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

High praise indeed big_smile

11. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 15 years ago

here we go:
    - I interviewed Ricky Martin when he still had pimples.
    - went to the same Marbella disco -at the same time- as  Dolph Lundgren
    - once in LA I refused to be interviewed on the streets by Jay Leno because I did not know who the hell he was!
    - bumped into David Letterman while he was interviewing someone in NY.
    - had my babies in the same hospital as Melanie Grifftiths.

12. DJ Funktual profile image75

I used to date actress Mandy Siegfried.  We're still friends today and she came to my wedding too.  Some you might have seen her on Grey's Anatomy where she plays Molly Thompson, Meredith's half-sister who needed an emergency c-section in Season 3.  She was also on Eli Stone this year.

I also used to work at Jekyll & Hyde club in NYC where I worked with not only Mandy but also actress Missi Pyle who I'm sure everybody knows by now.  I was working with her in 1996 and i remember distinctly when she got hired as an extra waitress for the movie AS GOOD AS IT GETS with Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson. 

Her biggest role to date was as the weird lady Fran in 'Dodgeball'  since then she's been in over 50 TV shows or Movies.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0797435/  ~~~ Mandy
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701512/ ~~~ Missi

13. DJ Funktual profile image75

I almost forgot.   One night back in 1996 after a shift at Jekyll & Hyde (57th Street & 6th Avenue Manhattan) we were at OUR bar called P.J. Carney's over on 7th Av.   All of a sudden we were bombarded with all these people at once.   Loud and important people too.

What happened was The Who's "Tommy" was playing across the street at Carnegie Hall and all the stars backstage decided to go out for a pint.   The following people were there..

1.  Joe Elliott (Lead Singer of Def Leppard)
    2.  Pete Townshend's whole band but NOT Pete.
    3.  and the guy whose foot I stepped on walking in the bar....BILLY IDOL.  (I think he was playing the Pinball Wizard actually.)

I didn't even know I stepped on him either my friend smack me in the leg and said, "Do you have any idea what you just did?" 
    Me response: What?
    "You fricking stepped on Billy Idol ya dumb-ass!"

I swear this is 100% true. 
    About an hour later, my friends and I were puffing outside the bar and I saw Billy leaving so I made a peace offering by saying, "Hey Billy, You wanna party with some New Yorkers? We got a joint right here.   He turned around to respond and his handler just grabbed him quickly and took him hastily across the street away from us.

It's all true too.

14. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

I recant my earlier claims to fame. While they are true, they are not as impressive as having had the one and only Mark Knowles comment on no less than two of my hubs. I am now in the presence of greatness!

15. 516Ads profile image61
    516Adsposted 15 years ago

OK,as long as you ask.

(famous folks)

Went to school with John Gotti ... he used to come to my door  and say, 'Dave, come on, we're playing two-hand touch, let go. I'd say. OK, John. Even back than, before any notoriety John was a tough kid, BUT always nice to me.

The Lohan's come from my neighborhood. At different times both Lindsey & Alley attended same school as my children.

(Inventions) I'll only give you three ... you asked

The Everything Bagel - Yummee or Yuck? http://www.TheEverythingBagel.com

LEARN - Lets End All Racism Now - Bullshit or Brilliant? http://www.LEARNspreadtheword.com

This Haiku, got me a nobody on the same pages as Buddha, Einstein, Lincoln

Children are sponges
    Others actions are absorbed
    Is the water clean?

That enough. I'm sick of myself already.

16. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

I crawled through a hatchway with a telephone in one hand and an ice lolly (a strawberry split, if I remember) in the other) to welcome the Archbishop of Canterbury to BBC Scotland Radio Studio 10. I'd have preferred to have completed my manoeuvre before he'd made it to the Studio, but it wasn't to be. No worries - he was gracious, as befits a high churchman, almost as if he met performing monkeys every day.

I've fitted microphones to more 'celebrities' than I can count, but it was just part of the job. I suppose the most famous, certainly the richest, would have been Paul McCartney.

I walked backwards round Turnberry Golf Course pointing my gun mike at Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus in the final of the British Open, back in 1977. Watson won, on the 18th. Nicklaus reclaimed his title the following year, but I'd got a real job by then, and wasn't there to see it.

17. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Oh, and a silly one - I can claim Boney M (Rasputin, Rivers of Babylon) as my support band. We (a bunch of amateurs) were playing for a wedding in Glasgow. Boney M were staying at the same hotel, playing a gig in town. We were playing late, and when they came back to the hotel they (not the front line girls, but the session guys) came and joined us on stage for a jam.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)