Polygamy

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image58
    Gracious Octoberposted 14 years ago

What are the pro's and cons of this arrangement?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it gives you headache, financial and emotional problems,,,,and the children too, you are just going to confuse them and they need time and attention, how can you give quality time to those whom you love if you are busy working so that you can sustain them?

2. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mmmh.

Pro's - The guy is always pampered and fed. Never needs to lift a hand except maybe to go to work.

Con's - Most of the time bad Karma, as "this wife" is jealous of "that wife".

Kids don't always get on.

Valentine's day can be difficult to prepare for.

A lot of Dosh needed for food, family etc

Cons for the woman - You don't really have someone to call your man. He's blimmin shared.

Why do people do it?   smile

2. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Many on each side.  I don't even know why our government even cares about people who practice polygamy.

As long as women are forced to marry these dudes, then I say let them do it.

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So it's ok to force women to marry people?  Man, you're brave.

1. TimTurner profile image68
        TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I mean't "aren't" force..oops.

1. ediggity profile image61
          ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a feeling, but I thought you might be ready for a showdown.  Good thing I didn't get the popcorn ready.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Any man who wants more than one woman on an equal footing in the same house is insane!

1. Fr FtBll Fnz profile image61
      Fr FtBll Fnzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very nicely put.  How can 1 man handle more then 1 woman?  Same goes for the other way too

4. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Wow, I thought he DID mean that! The only polygamous marriage I know is a woman with two husbands. I can see women not minding if they were raised differently. In America there's pride to deal with - that's MY man, don't touch. But when you talk to women after years of marriage, yes, the women who totally still love their husbands, longingly joke about getting him a second wife so she can have a break for a while.

Don't know how that works for guys.

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Women themselves have to love women as well as men and who am I to judge what their preference and morals are?  Who's to say we know or have the right to judge?

1. profile image0
      TMinutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the post I asked about. I don't know what you mean.

6. profile image0

lyricsingray, What?

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what?

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehe - I think I found the confusion ... smile

Women themselves have to love women as well as men

I'm not sure that was meant to be translated quote so literally. smile

7. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I already find myself in the doghouse enough with one lady, I couldn't begin to imagine ever leaving the doghouse with two or more. smile

8. profile image0

Who's judging? Example: 1-man 3-women

Man: Where would you like to eat tonight?

Women #1: I don't care you pick.

Woman #2: Same here, you pick.

Woman #3: Anything sounds good.

Man: Then it's BBQ!

Woman #1: Not BBQ again, why do you always pick BBQ, you know I don't like BBQ!

Woman #2: Of course you pick what you want. It would be nice if you thought about someone else for a change.

Woman #3: Thats fine I'm not really hungry anyway.

Man: Ok!Ok! How about Italian?

Woman #1: Italians good but not Luigi's that place is creepy!

Woman #2: I don't know if I feel like Italian tonight.

Woman #3: Italian's great! I'm starving!

At the resturant:

Woman #1: Don't be a pig and try not to wear your food!

Woman #2: He'll need a bib!

Woman #3: Don't order an appetizer because nobody wants to share with you because you don't know how to share!

Woman #1,#2,#3: Stop crying! Don't be such a baby!

1. profile image0

lol nice

9. profile image0

Okay, if you mean like THAT...the way I think of it is where each woman has her own house (tent like in middle east, bible, etc.). Otherwise, what's the point? You don't get any break if he's always there.

10. fratjoe18 profile image62
    fratjoe18posted 14 years ago

Honestly, growing up, I never knew it even existed, but I have to say after watching the show "Big Love" It has really educated me on the practices of Polygamy.

11. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Polygamy, hmmm, more doesn't necessarily mean better.

12. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Hmmm... Just thinking... How about you apply for a marriage license, and marry as many consenting adults as you can get to consent, and you can support.  Male or female.  Civil unions to any consenting adults.  Take the religious bias and judgement out of the formula.  But children are off limits.  No marriage licenses for children. No hiding behind religion to be pedophiles.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. If it works for you, fine. If it doesn't stay out of the kitchen.

13. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Em, no.  No sharing here.  (Not that I believe in marriage as it stands, necessarily, anyway.)  Still no sharing.

14. profile image0

And no hiding behind Human Rights and Children's Rights to be pedophiles either.

15. profile image49
    jonettabearmarieposted 14 years ago

As long as its not just another way for perverts to sleep with under age girls. What's wrong with the men these days? Leave the children alone!!!

16. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

You get two turns if you roll an 8 big_smile

1. profile image0

Isn't Polygamy a game?  lol

1. mistywild profile image59
        mistywildposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if you want to call it that big_smile

17. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I would just strangle my hubby if he thought he could get away with polygamy.  I would have no part of it.

18. profile image0

Polyandry would be the better choice in today's western world. Before, socially and economically, polygyny was the more feasible option but now with people needing so much money and children being left to the care of strangers because many families can't live on one income, that's changed. More men making money, one woman, fewer children and the mother can be there to care for the children.

19. profile image0

I have to admit though, men seem to feel it proves them to be more manly if they can 'get' more women; only one woman I know of would want to deal with more than one husband in her harem.

20. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

she can do the cooking and cleaning big_smile

21. mythological1 profile image56
    mythological1posted 14 years ago

To each their own as long as it is all done willingly. Polygamy, swinging, gay, straight, or celebacy, why should it concern anyone not directly involved in the relationship(s) in question. Too many people concerned about what is going on in the neighbors house and not concerned enough with what's happening in their own house. just my two pennies worth

22. profile image0
    Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years ago

One of the worst problems about polygamy is inbreeding. You don't hear much about that in the news. There are high rates of various forms of retardation and genetic problems running rampant in religious, polygamist communities.

While the idea "to each his own" is usually fine, I think a bit of knowledge and education along with responsibility go a long way in any sector of society. Best to know what you're getting into in advance, if at all possible.

23. profile image0

Might as well there's always room for one diviate behavior.

24. thaninja profile image41
    thaninjaposted 14 years ago

I think that we shouldn't place our cultural expecations or norms on someone else.   I don't want to be forced to have more than one wife, nor do I want to be forced to marry a person because the marriage is arranged.

Live and let live.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)