More users and lest hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. hubber-2009 profile image57
    hubber-2009posted 14 years ago

As of June 2009, there are

* 371,612Hubs
        * 2,894,254comments
        * 584,248users, &
        * 7employees

Why there is less number of Hubs than the users here?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because many people sign up and forget about the site, or just sign up to comment/join a fan club.

In fact, I have two other accounts with no hubs published at all.... and this account was not used for the first 11 months!

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1) Some spam the forum.
      2) Some spout their political bias on the forum.
      3) Some force their religious beliefs on the forum.
      4) Some are sockpuppets. That do all of the above, but can also be used by the puppeteer to comment on their own hubs.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I get 1-3, but #4 baffles me, what is the point of commenting on your own work?  It doesn't benefit anything, well maybe their own ego???

1. Whitney05 profile image83
          Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the point. Like I said above, some people create multiple accounts to argue with others and have more than one account to be on each other's side. It's just the same person. 4 basically just is to be an irritant.

2. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They'll do it in the hope that they'll drum up some interest in their own hub and that it will snowball from there. Other times they even converse with themselves in forum threads. It appears to be quite pathetic, but they wouldn't necessarily see it as being so. Who knows what goes on in the mind of such a person.

2. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Because tons of people signs up and never write a hub or have the intention to do so.

Many people sign up because they think they have to sign up to leave a comment. They'll leave the one comment and never come back.

Some people make multiple accounts to argue with themselves or against other on the forums. They'll use one account to write on and the other(s) to help prove a case or whatever on the forums.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is very easy to sign up than to have a hub published

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I find it annoying to see ppl in here posting LONG threads when they can just as easily make it into a hub. I don't read the long ones. And those who like to pick fights but have no hubs...just sad!

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Maybe there could be a clean up. You know say anyone with an account over a year old but no hubs should be contacted and then deleted if they don't do anything by a certain amount of time. I realize this would be a chore for the staff but if you ran across it as a member maybe a send a note to the hubteam about the inactive account.

You could also do this with people who have only one or two hubs to their name to try and generate a bit of response.

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Lynne, that's a good idea.

I know once in a while, I try to contact my referrals to see if I can help them in any way. Sometimes that spurs them to write a little, but in most cases, I get nothing and they don't write anything. Of my referrals, I don't have many that have written.

Problem with canceling accounts, especially those with hubs, is that even though the person may not write any more, the hub(s) that were published can still earn you money if they clicked your referral before they signed up. You wouldn't want to delete any hubs.

I'd say just those accounts that have never published anything if they don't within whatever time frame decided upon- 6 months or so.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree this sounds like a good idea.  However I can see why HubPages wouldn't want to do that. 

It's like newspapers who publicise their circulation figures instead of their readership, because it looks good.  Circulation is the number of copies they print and includes all the ones that end up being pulped because they didn't sell.

6. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I agree that is a great idea, Lynne. I love the way you think girl!

7. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Thanks guys! Maybe for the ones who have hubs but are inactive they could be given the option to do something with the hub or if it was one of your referrals then they could somehow transfer the hub to you.

I don't know just thinking aloud now.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

do non performing hubbers have an adverse effect on the rest of the site? Just wondering.

8. Trsmd profile image58
    Trsmdposted 14 years ago

generally new users they don't know what to do here in hubpages..

that will take much time and the meantime, they might have forgotten their first created id...

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that too.  I wish I could work out why people seem to have so much trouble getting started.  In particular, you regularly see new Hubbers posting their work on the forums instead of starting Hubs.  If we could work out why they do it, we might be able to suggest how to fix it.

9. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I don't think it is clear to many people that when they come to hubpages just to see some friend's hub they don't have to become a hubber - unless they are interested in commenting - I have a friend who thought she HAD to join in order to keep coming here to read my hubs --she would be a great hubber if she had more time to write some hubs, but she doesn't right now.  Couldn't there be another "associate" classification for people who want to be "audience" but don't want to blog here?  Does that make sense?

10. hubber-2009 profile image57
    hubber-2009posted 14 years ago

thanks everyone for posting their views about more users and less hubs..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)