When you lose someone close to you-how do you spend their birthdays?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

Today is December 3rd and today would have been the 9th birthday of my son whom passed away six years ago. Every year on the day of his death (or close to it)... October 18, I do something new. This year, I joined Hub Pages for that very reason.
    On his birthday, I try to be more optimistic about life and people in general.
    Do other people do these kinds of things? Or do the dates lose meaning after a person passes away?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

omgsh... i had no idea. i'm so sorry. i can't begin to imagine such a loss, but i would probably do what you do, focus on the positive and optimistic, because that is what my son would want.

no, the date would never lose meaning. my father died many years ago but i always drink a toast to him (cranberry juice and champagne) on his birthday.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry for your loss. My 1st Husband died from bowel Cancer on 23rd November 2001, aged 48, (2 weeks after being diagnosed with the Cancer), and we cremated him on my Birthday, 4th December 2001. I never forget this, but I try to keep my life ongoing and stay busy rather than dwelling on the past. I still kiss his photo regularly, in spite of being happily remarried, but know he wants me to move on and be happy without forgetting the times we had together, (my current Husband fully understands this too).

1. H.C Porter profile image81
        H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because of the circumstances that surround my first sons life-he is the one thing that my husband and I do not talk about. Both my husband and I are very sarcastic individuals, and can joke about most things, to help one another through. About 4 years ago, when I started to open up about the whole situation, my husband cracked a joke, that I did not take lightly-and that was the end of both our attempts.

Hub Pages has helped me remember and come to terms with a lot, just because it has been a place where I can write about him and the circumstances that lead up to his life and his death. For that I am grateful.

Everyday he is on my mind-everyday I remember him, and everyday I love him still. In his memory, I donated some money for cancer research today, I know that too many people hurt from the loss of a loved one, due to cancer-so even though I am on a budget, I figured-every little bit will get us one step closer to finding a cure.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am sure he is around you still, and what you are doing can only help other people who are going through the same terrible experiences that you did. Stay strong, you can help others who are faced with this in the future, that way it didn't happen in vain!

3. alexandriaruthk profile image69
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just remebering them is good enough, try to be happy and offer a little prayer and all

2. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I lost my sister 7 years ago the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Her Birthday, My birthday and the day of her passing is a sacred time. I use this time to remember her! I use the time to remember the great times we shared and how close we were.
    My sister and I were only 13 months apart in age, I was the eldest. But, people thought of us as twins because of the closeness we had.
    I commend you on doing something "new and positive" on this date. It is the best way to honor the memory of a loved one. Like you, I try to do something different each year to honor my sister and what she meant to me.

3. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I guess the date will remain as special as you make it. For several years in a row, someone in the family passed away in the days between Christmas and my birthday, which is Eastern Orthodox Christmas according to some celebrants. We all became a little gun-shy around those days.

On a more positive note, the birth dates of those I was close to are always days of remembering. I like the idea of doing something positive to mark the day, but I also know the memories will become gentler with time.

4. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We pretend they're not gone and divide up they're gifts!

5. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry HC Porter.  I know some of what you feel.

I lost my son just 2 wks before his 13th birthday.  For every single birthday and anniversary of his death, we all go to the cemetery and launch helium-filled balloons that have a tag attached to them.  The tag tells that we have launched these in his honor and if found to please contact us with the location.  We've had 3 people contact us over the years. (He died in 2003) It's really amazing how far the balloons go and how sweet the people are that respond. 

I keep Kevin's memory alive by some of the hubs I've written about him.

6. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

My grandmother was the first person close to me to pass away in 2002, and though I don't even remember the day she passed offhand, the day we scattered her ashes (October 8th) became her memorial day. When I can I go up into the mountains just to spend some time and remember, other times I just take a couple of hours out on that day to remember.

My nephew passed away last year in March, and though I still tend to think of him very often, he now shares a memorial day with his great-grandmother. I visited his grave once, but as of yet that's just been too much, but I still at least make a mental note on his birthday in September and on his death day in March.

Now that my son is getting a bit older, he'll be four next month and my nephew would have been five this year, I have been telling him more about his cousin, as well as other people who had a big impact on my life that he will never get to meet. So far I have found nothing quite so peaceful and fulfilling as sharing my memories of these wonderful people with someone else I love. My son loves hearing about them, and someday he'll be old enough to realize just how precious those memories are.

7. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

if people in the world didnt take so much that they have for granted... we wouldnt have so much selfishness. People take their parents, siblings, friends and spouses for granted, and so many never actually tell the people that they love the most, how they really feel-then, all of a sudden, you no longer have a chance to tell them.
    I wish I could take some of those parents out there that beat their children or ignore them, because they are so wrapped up with the ME SYNDROME to see that they have miracles before their eyes-and give them an hour out of the day I lost my son. If every parent felt that pain and heart ache for a single hour, I believe that they would see a child as the most precious gift they have ever received, and start to pay a little more attention and perhaps their children would grow up to be more humane, intelligent, perceptive adults.
    Instead, there will be a bunch of kids that grow up and they too will overlook so much of what a child can offers.

8. cmlindblom profile image69
    cmlindblomposted 14 years ago

Whe lost a few guys in our unit and we just get drunk in their honor. That what they would of wanted and what I want if I go.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)