How should fat people dress?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Hello all,

I am fat. Not obese...but, as my friends describe me, huggable.

I like my size; I'm the sort of size where no one will pick a fight with you but you're not expected to join in one either. I'm not fat enough to be at serious risk to myself, and I fence for my region, I just like my food too much. My point being that this is not a hub for weight loss but for style.

Basically, all I ever wear (casually) is jeans and a shirt (long sleves rolled up) over a tshirt (as seen in my pic - shirt and tshirt styles do vary) however, I am looking to expand my casual wardrobe. I'm starting to be known as the shirt guy.

I have a couple of suits which I look good in (and have to wear for my school sixth form), they're pretty slimming actually, but I can't wear them to casual parties. As I said before, I'm looking to expand my casual wardrobe.

My question is, what can fat people get away with?

More precisely, what can I get away with as a chunky teenager?

Luke.

1. profile image0
      Star Witnessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you'd look nice in some solid-colored pull over henley tops with long sleeves(you know, the ones with the 2-3 buttons at the top? 

You also need to wear things that are somewhat between fitted and baggy - it will be the most slimming for you (ie, you don't want to show the 'chubby,' but you don't want to swim in your clothes either, as that won't do anything for you.)

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spandex.... Spandex Undies, Sox, Shirt, Pants and Hat! lol

You can get away with Spandex!!!
      Whether you are a 'Chunky' or a 'Chocka'... ... big_smile

But Cover the crown jewels in anything but: Spandex dude! lol

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in clothes, preferably. other things, like, for example, straw mats, would be too itchy.

4. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a guy, whatever, plus you can wear the fat joke shirts too, like the buddha one's and all that, so really you get more choice! Unless you are an IAMX fan. Their biggest shirt size is about a medium to normal people XD

5. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wear whatever makes you feel good.

6. Merriweather profile image61
      Merriweatherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No matter one's size, a good fit is essential.  Wearing clothes that are too big and / or baggy will make anyone look larger than he or she is.  Dark colors are flattering, too.

Horizontal stripes and pleated pants don't do anyone any favors!

Hope that helps.

7. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Luke

Have you tried dickies pants?? My boyfriend reakons his ass is fat, i don't agree with him on that, but he thinks dickies pants are the best for combating his fat days.

The cut of dickies pants is straight, and they don't cling to you at all, and they do look hot.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

No thongs!!!!!!

1. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn, now you tell me.

Best be letting the pink one I rollerblade in go then.

lol

Yes...now you have that mental image. Enjoy.

neutral

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope you don't lean forward when you do that! People can go blind from that, it can cause reoccuring nightmares and diarhea!

1. profile image0
          L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid I do. Yes, it causes health problems but BIG IS BEAUTIFUL.

If only there was some way of sorting out my asses gravitational pull. People are starting to get annoyed...

hmm
          roll

2. prettylaura profile image61
      prettylauraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dont eat too much food with carbo and cholesterol... It will help. or try the after 6..

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

My brother in-law is heavy and I would only recommend that clothes should be worn a little more loosely. My brother-in-law is huggable but if he wears clothes that are snug it is not appealing and I have honestly told him that.  Be yourself, just be comfortable but don't squeeze into sizes that are smaller then you are. I hope I didn't sound rude sad

4. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

He can wear thongs if he wants too.  It is under his clothes silly!  Anyway, I would suggest watching the show What Not to Wear because it provides lots of real world advice for real people.  Also, go the library and check out some fashion books and magazines, which should give you a good idea.

1. profile image0

What a pretty photo, SP, wink.

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why thank you smile.

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sweetiepie! I've missed you and you've avoided me!smile

No, I just do not need to quote an entire comment to convey my meaning.  Glad you missed me smile.

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I have always liked button down shirts on guys of your size.  They can be worn casually or more formally.  Sport Coats look good, like a suit, but much more causal.

Henley's and polo shirts are also nice, as well as being a step up from a t-shirt. 

A good fit is as important as what the item of clothing is.  It should not be too tight or too loose.  Look at how it hangs on your shoulders, and make sure it does not stretch across your belly.  Make sure your pants fit well, and are cut right for you.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

The same as everybody else.  Why would you ask such a degrading question that offers no benefit whatsoever? Geez roll

7. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Maybe to the person that started this thread this is not a degrading question.  I was perplexed by the title for this thread, but I agree with the above comment.  I still recommend the show What Not To Wear because it has a lot of common sense fashion ideas.  Also, I think it would be fun to go on a $5,000 dollar shopping spree.

1. profile image0

Shoes & Bags, SP!  Shoe & Bags.  I love Stacey London...  Can't imagine spending $5,000 just on clothes, though.  Wow!

I would not spend my own money on these things, but if I won a contest maybe smile.  I have a little bit of a girly shopping tendency though, like the compulsion to buy way too many skirts.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i saw that show one time. they gave this girl a fabulous makeover and a ton of designer clothes and shoes and a day at the spa and she was all beyotchy about it and horrible and everything. i would have been ecstatic - they gave her some really cool outfits! i wonder why she agreed to it in the first place if she was going to be all Grinchy about it. anyway everybody felt really bad, and it even cost her a friendship with one of the girls who got her on the show. the emcee chewed her out tho yikes

p.s. Andrew you look fine. certainly not obese or anything.

8. profile image0

roll

Deleted

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you assumed it was at you when in fact it was directed at the post. I simply was placing my post.  How self absorbed to first assume it was at you when I had not linked your comment and secondly dragged it out into another post for the same reason?

odd.

No I am not self-absorbed or odd.  Okay, this is why I do not post to the forum much, it gets too silly.

9. sweetjulie profile image60
    sweetjulieposted 14 years ago

just dress responsibly

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Freeze, this is the fashion police!  Step AWAY from the pale pink leisure suit that shows off your builder's cleavage!"  lol

10. profile image52
    rialeeposted 14 years ago

How should fat people dress??
    In clothes...der!

11. Countess Batula profile image61
    Countess Batulaposted 14 years ago

Er, you're not fat. The shirt on ur pic is fine but I don't like checkers or stripes lol. Fat people should wear black pants and cotton tops which fit around the hips - it helps slim a frame down and covers unsightly bulges. They should not wear tops that are too tight or too small or too baggy. The tops should be hip length and snug fit with room.

12. jacobkuttyta profile image44
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

If your too fat ware red dress

If you r not that much fat, then blue is ok

13. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

as long as they are comfortable with it, then just flaunt it

14. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Whatever clothes you are comfortable in.

I'm chubby, used to wear loose-fitting clothes until I realized they don't flatter my figure at all. Now I go for plus-size clothes that do not hug my figure (er my 'love handles' lol) but do not hang like a curtain either smile.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like light-colored clothes, clothes with vertical stripes or blouses that hang in the middle because they make me look fatter. But then again, that's just my opinion.

15. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I'm overweight, but I think I dress pretty well and do get a lot of compliments on my clothes. My tips:

1. Wear fitted, but not tight clothes. If you wear something that's too baggy, you look bigger.

2. Go for solid colors and classic cuts. If you go for a crop top or loud pattern or a shirt with ruffles all over it, that will make you look larger, as well.

3. Wear flattering layers. I love wearing a nice shirt with a cool blazer or cardigan over it. It looks nice and is slimming because it gives a nice, sleek line.

4. For dresses, don't go strapless or sleeveless; but if you choose to, cover your arms with a shrug or a wrap or a matching jacket.

5. Wear empire waist or A-line dresses, which slim out your waist and draw more attention to your bust, which tends to be thinner than your bottom.

6. Do NOT wear low-cut jeans (I've seen a lot of large women who do).

I really ought to write a hub about this!

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree Naomi. And I'll be the first one to read it smile.

16. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

One thing I can't stand is jeans in a size 4 times as big as the person. I know it is the rage to wear such so your boxers show but really I don't see the point.

I'm a leg and a$$ girl and like to check it out even at my old age so a good pair of fitted jeans or pants works best. Collarless shirts are a plus and I'm with the crowd that prefers solids so stripes or plaids or checks.

Oh and don't go out in baggy sweats. I hate the diaper butt look.

17. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think no matter how chunky or slender you are, you should wear what you know makes you look and feel your best and most confident.  Lots of guys with "a little something extra around the middle" wear nice shirts (the pull-over kind, maybe made in a fabric that's fashionable.  Heavy-ish guys can look really nice in classic men's Winter sweaters, with or without a shirt under them.  (I think that approach can essentially trick people's eyes into thinking the sweater is what's creating the "chunky"  smile  ).  Sport coats serve a purpose sometimes, a lighter-weight shirt underneath won't add bulk.  There's nothing wrong with wearing the shirt/rolled-sleeves thing, and if you feel best in it go with it.  You could try a different kind of/color/fabric shirt, depending on where you're going.  Pull-overs that aren't bulky but that have enough weight to them not to be clingy and instead just kind of "skim" can be flattering.   You could give pants that are fashionable but not jeans a chance once in a while.  Try different necklines in pullovers (not because being a little chunky requires a "special neckline"  lol)  but sometimes one neckline or another can change a whole look or feel particularly good.  What colors you wear can be flattering (or not particularly) and can change an outfit from "just a top and jeans" to a "a look".

Having said all that, a few young guys I know are essentially "shirt guys" for the same reason you are; but - you know what?  They're good-looking and appealing and come across as people who have self-respect and enough confidence to wear what makes them feel their best.  There are people who wear "what everybody else wears" and people who wear what they feel is right for them.  So, be "affectionately known" as "the shirt guy" if you want to be.  You're being "you", which is always the best thing to be.  smile

18. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Chubby people should dress as often as possible. wink

19. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

anything with elasticated waist

20. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Hiya Luke

WEAR WHATEVER MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD.
    but if you're looking to switch things up a bit.

I think try cardigans-they are slimming and look hot on a guy and don't be afraid to use colours not just black. Figure out what colours work with your skin.

Also waist coats...I love a man in a suit or anything close and thay are slmming and allow for a more steam lined look.

Why not where some regular pants/trousers not just jeans. Or try more formal jeans-darker in colour not necessarily black either.

Check out Burtons, Top Man, River Island, H&M, Gap...if you're in England I'm assuming you are as you said sixth form.

Hope I helped smile

21. profile image0

How ever they want roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)