Some fun

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (83 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Guys, this is way out of control...so much like beating a dead horse.

lets just stop, all together.

Does everybody celebrate new years? do you have plans? why or why not?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I prefer to stay home on New Years Eve. People try too hard to have a good time on New Years Eve.

I'll watch the ball drop, eat some appetizers and have some sparkling wine:)

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmm white or red?
      I have seen the ball drop once, becasue my kid was sick.  smile I always fall asleep!!!

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I want to. I need to an I am so willing, but  I came down with some virus along with the wife yesterday. Don't know if we'll be over it then. A chest thing with coughing. Crap.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You too? Sorry. A few people I know have gotten sick over Christmas.

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is weird. 6 years ago we both came down with the flu together on Christmas Eve and had to forgo celebrating. This is the second time we have both gotten sick together. She seems to always get it worse though as I always get the flu shots. Ach well, this too shall pass. I hope. LOL ohhhh, my chest.

2. profile image0

sad get better!!! I have been sick too. kids got sick for xmas and I feel like CRAP today.

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Same here; my wife and I are both sick. But, like we do every year: we're going to stuff ourselves on delicious snacks and watch the Twilight Zone Marathon all night and into New Years Day, stopping only to watch the Ball drop. big_smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is this Twilight Zone marathon on TV? I would watch that...love that show.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep. The SyFy Channel, I believe.

2. profile image0

hehehheeheheheheheh!! smile twighlight zone and a sweety by your side!! sounds nice.

5. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Unless my friend Ashley invites me over to celebrate with her girlfriend I'll be staying home,, all alone,,, sad

But that's how it's been for the past few years so I'm use to it. I will stay up and see something on the net. Plus here in Florida you can buy fireworks so I expect lots of noise at midnight.

6. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

I will spend it with my mom in florida, then I am off to Maine to see my Daughter. Which I have never known. Just met her last oct. She is 17 now. 

Been an interesting year though, 2009 has. I became a father and a grand-father, in all of 11 months.

A lil too quick,... but? Interesting to say the least.

So I geuss my resolution is to get to know her more and my grand-daughter.

Not as easy as it sounds though, but again, interesting to say the least.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey TM, this is all pretty cool stuff. Notice you're making quite a trek from south to north there this week!

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It'll be about mid jan.

I was up there in Sept. though for about 3 weeks. My mom cannot travel well and I don't like leaving her long.

Gonna try to get her up there in jan with me though. So she can meet her great grand-daughter. She has met my daughter already. I sent her up there last march.

So it is going okay. Just a lil wierd is all to have a daughter after 40 years of not having children.

But it has been pretty cool so far. Thats not to say easy, but interesting.

thank you cosette and justine, AS.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, that sounds pretty wonderful! best wishes to you smile

i am having a tiny party at my house, in which Simpsons videos figure prominently. hmm, i just had a great idea - a platter of pink-frosted donuts with sprinkles. yikes

1. profile image0

uhhhhh donuts...
        smile
        congrats TM. That is amazing news. I hope you have fun, I fear your about to encounter some real bad weather tho. Hopefully you get in before it hits.

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I'm going to a house party round a friends and then probably to a club, or house party, depending on how things go..... To be honest I always find New Years Eve over rated when it comes to going out, but then it does beat the loneliness of staying in alone. I would rather be with my gf for new years, but unfortunately she is a few hundred miles away as of yesterday!

1. profile image0

maybe a phone call?
      to me new years is about trying to see what went wrong last year, and doing it differetnly this year. I dont think you need a big party or lots of people. I do hope you have fun and dont feel alone.

8. love my yorkies profile image61
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

Not doing much.  The weather is nasty and probably won't get better by tomorrow night and also the hubby is working so it'll just be me and my dogs watching a movie and eating some snacks.

1. profile image0

well, i hope its fun anyway. and i hope everyone has a better year then the last!!

9. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

We celebrate at home with family and friends everyone stays over and we have breakfast in the morning before everyone leaves. smile

1. profile image0

that sounds really fun. what do you have for breakfast?

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I think its a disease.  The holidays, none of them, ever work out for me.  I think its because of the high expectations or something.  So instead, I do my celebrations spontaneously at odd times when nothing else is going on.  I will watch people get crazy on TV and that's about it!

1. profile image0

I dont do anything for holidays either.
      I was wondering if anyone did though, and it looks like the majority of people dont.
      I enjoy the concept for New Years, as I do always hope next year will be better then the last.
      Best wishes to you!!

11. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I'm quitting smoking...argghh.  Actually, I am excited at the thought, just a bit scared of losing my crutch.

1. profile image0

That one was a tough vice to kick, for sure; but it's doable, believe me. big_smile

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HEY, DENNO!!

1. profile image0

I know what you're about to undertake, you'll do fine, I have confidence in you. How're doing otherwise? big_smile

Pretty good, thanks.  Did you miss all the fracas yesterday?  I haven't seen your name in a while, so how are YOU doing?

1. profile image0

I saw it, in fact wrote a hub parallel to it. I'm good; getting ready to go back to school next year. big_smile

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
                ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still working on my app.  We should start a support group. lol.

1. profile image0

Either that or I'm going back to binge junkfood-eating. lol

2. profile image0

aww...good luck!!! it sounds corny, but one day at a time..if you think about it being forever youll overwhelm yourself. just think..im not smoking today....and as far as a crutch? try hubbing, or taking a walk, creative or physical outlets are far healthier and will work just as well.  smile

One day at a time, or one minute...don't care, I'll just slap one of them patches on and I think all will be okay.  I quit back in June for 3 months and then blew it, but I know I can do it.  Thanks for your words, people! lol

1. profile image0

I quit 3 times for nine months each...it is hard. but with determination, and if you slip up dont let it be an excuse to give up, you will do it!!!

Thanks so much, Justine-you bet I will! lol

3. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you. Its a toughie, but if you give it time, you'll feel so much better.  I only smoked in college, but I got hooked fast... went (in one year) from never having smoked to smoking a pack or 2 a day.  Since I stopped, my health has definitely improved, and I just feel better in general.  Its been years, and I still occassionaly want one, but then I remember all the coughing and sinus infections and general nastiness, and the moment passes quickly! smile  Good luck!

As for New Years.  I have to work really early the next morning, so we'll probably have an "early" New Year's with the kids... we let them march around the kitchen banging pots and pans.  Then maybe have a few snacks or a glass of wine with the hubby and head to bed somewhere around New Year in London (I'm EST).

lol

12. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I missed it!  I'm always missing fracas-es  - but it appears everyone is fracased out!  So does that mean I'll be the only one bickering?  Happy NEW YEAR!

lol

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

virtual smoking - hmmmmmm. . .

1. profile image0

Do you mind? I'm virtual eating, here! big_smile

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

but I'm more than 20 feet away from you!  jeez! big_smile:

1. profile image0

Hmmm, I can still smell it. big_smile

1. mega1 profile image80

I'm pretty sure that's all in yur MIND!  however, I'll put it out now, don't want to get BANNED for smoking in the forums!lol

2. lorlie6 profile image72

Now THERE'S an idea! lol

1. mega1 profile image80

we could publish an app for the ipod with virtusmoke - you go into it and a picture of you smoking in the old days combined with an electric shock, maybe!  so its actually a quitsmokeapp! Now someone else will probably make a billion on it! since I obviously cannot do it - can't even extract myself from the forums long enough to do more than one hub a week.  and my score dropped about 6 points in the last 3 days!  sad:

1. profile image0

Shame on you! lol

1. mega1 profile image80

seriously, I haven't even virtusmoked because it doesn't exist yet and I even published hubs, but still . . .

1. profile image0

I can't help it, I'm taking you seriously here. big_smile

2. lorlie6 profile image72

Well then go get a patent, my friend, sounds like quite the idea. lol

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I already gave up smoking - now what?  If I start again, then I could give it up again and  . . . but I doubt if that will help my profile score.  I am losing points just by breathing here!

1. profile image0

Um, then maybe you should stop.......? big_smile

2. profile image0

lol blue moon new year and all...everyone's nuts!!

3. lorlie6 profile image72

Maybe your score would go up if you started smoking again.  JUST KIDDING, DON'T YOU DARE! lol lol

15. profile image0

Wait a minute Mega! I didn't mean give up breathing, I meant, oh, um, uh, never mind...... big_smile

16. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

C'mon' guys - the party's here!!

Live music, boiled shrimp, roasted oysters, smoked ham, and all kinds of other goodies!

1. profile image0

Oh Habee. I love you. Nohting sooths a savage soul like some good food!!
      (at first I though it said live shrimp and boiled music,  lol )

I got the chicken,potatoes and gravy, tossed salad and blue cheese dressing...miss ya eagle kiwi....

Yumm, and then we can all take a lovely nap! lol

17. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

How about some of that Southern Fried Chicken?

18. profile image0

I'll tap the Moxie keg! big_smile

19. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

too late!  ah - kidding - don't think I will start again - can't smoke at work and I'm a live-in worker! so no smoking here!  I remember chewing lots of gum - it seemed to help! lol  but now I've had to quit that after catching a glimpse of myself chewing in the mirror! big_smile:

But mega-what vices are left after gum? lol

1. profile image0

ummmm...heh..sure you could think of something?

2. mega1 profile image80

food and more food especially sushi - sex - talking and more talking - satire - especially sarcastic cynical satire! lol so we can still have so much fun!

20. profile image0

Habitual thumb-twirling's an option.

21. profile image0

You must be tired at the end of the day Mega....I'm just making an observation.... big_smile

1. mega1 profile image80

yes, and at the end of the night, also!  heh heh.  but now I must go have lunch! - later!

1. profile image0

Enjoy lunch; bring back a doggie, er, sheepie bag? big_smile

22. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

nothing left for the dog or sheep - sorry.  I virtually ate the whole thing!  :LOL:

23. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

No plans hmm:  probably asleep by 11.  I remember when that was so uncool and now it's just, well, normal yikes

1. profile image0

youll be here... ill see you i bet!! if not though, heres for next year being the best yet!!

24. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0036.gif

1. profile image0

heheheeeeeee!!!!! your my smiley IDOL!!

25. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Card Party for me!

26. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

In reference to my last post (where I said I'll probably be out by 9...) I figured I'd pop by to wish you all a Happy New Year now!  Anybody got a virtual noise maker I can use...? smile

27. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

right, in case I'm sacked out by 9 Happy New One to you too!  But maybe we'll all be sleepless and buzzing at 12 midnight!  hope so  - because you never know what could happen!  Storm coming, to rattle the windows and keep me awake anyway!  I'll bring the cheetos and the chili!

28. profile image0

Cheetos!!!

29. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

yes, cheetos and chili!

30. profile image0

And chili! big_smile Food! lol

31. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Its 7:30am and I now want Fritos and Chili (I know you said Cheetos, but I'm partial to the Frito/chili combo).  Darnit.  Its going to be a long day at work...

32. emdi profile image62
    emdiposted 14 years ago

I spent my new year with my crying little baby

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)