What's wrong with a good war?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (42 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image76
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I saw this comment on another thread and felt that it was to big a question to respond to there. I read it as a bit of a flippant comment in my mind (as you do when reading stuff online) and felt a strong reaction, that no war is a good war because war is built on destruction the worst of which is the destruction of life. That said there have been necessary wars, the only option was for even greater destruction. When is a war a good one? How can it ever be good when it results in pain and death for everyone involved from small children to soldiers?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi kirsten, it is my opinion that war is never good, it is destruction of lives, properties and everything

Happy New Year dear,

2. rhamson profile image69
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

War is always good for America and her war machine.  Our biggest industry is the military industrial complex and it is one of the biggest domestic industries we have.

If this weren't so then we would not be bouncing from one war to the next.

If you look at it from the human loss and destruction of property then it would be a bad thing.  Capitalism lives for it and we all believe in capitalism don't we?

1. Mitch Rapp profile image59
        Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, its doing wonders for our economy!

1. rhamson profile image69
          rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who said anything about the economy? I know several military contractors who are hiring and having their workforce expand at steady rates.

The idea that the private sector should profit from it is like believing the trickle down affect might have some merit.

Wars are always fought over aggression and money. The rich perpetrate it and the poor fight it.

1. Diskobolos profile image55
            Diskobolosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whaz so civil 'bout war anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9VhD4SccSE

3. MikeNV profile image68
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you look at Wars it is not uncommon to see the same people financing both sides of the conflict.

War is about money.

4. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was a sarcastic remark made to disrupt the direction the thread was going and hopefully incite some thought into the conversation.

2. livelonger profile image84
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

If it's the comment that I think it is, it was posted as a deliberate provocation for attention.

War is sometimes necessary, but it's never "good."

kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I expect you know just the post I responded to. I doubt this was the intended type of attention tho hmm

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

War is horrific.  HOwever, sometimes it happens anyway. So, I would say a "good" war is one that is won quickly and decisively, with the least amount of death, but exactly as much as is required to crush the fight out of the enemy so that it does not malinger in shadowy corners  of society, crawling out from time to time to blow up mothers and their babies at coffee houses.

4. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

A good war is one that you do not have to fight twice or more. A good war is one that doesn't cost a country decades of baby sitting money down the road.

If wars were fought in Old Test. style, the middle east would have been calm since the 6 day war.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, are you willing to do the fighting yourself, Old Test. style?

kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah those things got pretty bloody! Leave me outa it if you please.

5. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

Go participate in one and find out.

6. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

(not you personally kristen  smile )

7. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

We need to be careful in being too haste in judging "war" as a whole.  Yes, there have been many necessary wars.  Yes, more often than not there are hidden agendas to many of our modern wars.  However, there is the basic fight for the greater good.  This is the fight that will ultimately win, we hope.  That may mean the correct side loses many battles but that side must stay focused to the principles of the end result of the fight that they deem necessary and good for the population.  Whether it be freedom, liberty or liberation from tyranny these types of objectives are worth fighting for even if there are other agendas built in.  Everyone will eventually have there just reward but for the basic warrior in the field of battle that stays true to his convictions they shall be the true victors of any battle.

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a 'lucky' Old Soldier, I concur good job.

1. goldenpath profile image67
        goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I served in Desert Storm '91.  I gained new trust and love for the native people over there.  A stranger pulled me to safety when I was wounded.  Those people are worth extending the freedoms they deserve.

I will not debate taxes and other policies.  Yes, governments are corrupt.  I support the basic human premise for the war.

8. Hunting Videos profile image57
    Hunting Videosposted 14 years ago

Can anyone ever remember in history when we haven't had wars. I don't think there has been a time of total peace. It can't even image what the world would be like if there was no more wars.

I would love to see that day and experience what it would be like.

9. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Here are some facts about our little adventure in Afghanistan:

Projected annual casualty count:  5,700 by the end of this year; 300-500 per month by the spring of 2010 (Per General Barry McCaffery)

Projected Cost:  $9 billion/month, $108 billion/year (per Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments)

Cost per American soldier per year--$1 million

Bin Laden--It's been seven years since we've had any reliable intelligence on his whereabouts (Source inter-agency analysis report to President Obama.

Not sure of the point but here are some stats from history:
      1) 50 million dead between 1917 & 1918 due to disease and war primarily.  30 military & 20 pandemic disease.
      2) 70 million total took up arms.
      We, as a people, are no strangers to the plight of man but those wars were just.  We cannot complain about the stats of war as it will only serve to dull our senses.  These things are necessary.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

World War II was the last "necessary" war. It may serve to awaken our senses.

So long as there are people oppressed by their leaders and basic human rights and liberties being witheld than wars are necessary.  We ought not just sit idly by.  Each day we make an accounting of the things we allow in our world.  It's that silent tapestry written in the human heart and mind.  I am not racist nor do I discriminate but when I see a population of fellow human beings living in fear and degradation we have the duty and responsibility to aid those people even to the removing of their government.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
            Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How big a tax increase are you willing to support? How about bringing back the draft? Senator Obey has proposed a surtax to support the war in Afghanistan? It'll be interesting to see how much support it gets.

2. barranca profile image75
            barrancaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The palestinians for instance?

1. blue dog profile image59
              blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, barranca, looks like they're avoiding your hot button question.

Not avoiding it. Just don't have the time to do it justice as there are some similarities to other current conflict (Hezbollah and Hamas are essentially off shoots of the Bathists) Israel continues their fight for their survival against these two organizations that have hijacked the Palestinian cause and prevented a peaceful solution time after time. (Not that Israel couldn't do more to resolve this)

1. blue dog profile image59
                  blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

perhaps, since israel is in such a "survival" mode, we could ship them a few more tax dollars.

1. profile image0

Happy New Year Bluedog!smile

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image68

We ship them plenty along with Egypt, and Jordan. I would remind you that the stated goal of Hamas and Hezbollah is the destruction of Israel. That is why Israel refuses to deal with them. The Arab states that have recognized them (Israel)either by treaty (the two mentioned) or implicitly (Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Yemen and others) have done better for their people than the Palestinians or Lebanese, or Syrians.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To think we are still fighting an enemy is a misconception. We're fighting an ideology, TERROR.  It's like the War on Drugs, a war that can never be won.  Don't get me wrong, we can win plenty of battles but would the war on terrorists end if we were to catch Bin Laden? I don't think so. The war is for the masses to be distracted from the bigger prize and it's not OIL. Oil is just a limited resource, there's an unlimited resource up for grabs, the Human Resource. hmm

3. livelonger profile image84
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sobering statistics. They bear updating/repeating often.

10. dfunzy profile image60
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

US attack on Iraq was a criminal act. The US war in Afghanistan is a stupid act. Our foe is Bin Laden and his followers, not the people of Afghanistan, not Muslims. So far, the US and its allies have been playing by Bin Laden's book, have been doing everything to strengthen his hand. One would think that Bin Laden is the architect of American war policy. Bin Laden tells his followers that the war is on Islam and Islamic peoples and our bombs and rockets, blowing up so many innocent civilians, give legs to his propaganda. He says that America has sent a Crusader army to destroy Islam. We send a large Christian army into a Muslim land, to do what? To save a country by destroying it? Stupid.

Al Qaeda is bad news for us, for the world, and especially for Muslims. Bin Laden has been very clear what his plans are for Muslims. They are not very nice. He would deny human rights and education to women. He would return Muslim countries to the 7th century. He would out law liberty, individual expression, and, I kid you not, music, and television! Look at the places that fell under  Al Qaeda's control and see what kind of governace he promises the Muslim world.

It is Muslims who will defeat Bin Laden. Only they can take away his strength, and prove a lie to his propaganda.

And yes, our war in Afghanistan is not a good war. It is a stupid war.

would differ on a couple of accounts here. First the Iraq war was a necessary act, the facts are Sadam was shooting his WMD delivery systems (missiles) at our troops in Kuwait from 17 March thru 21 March when we crossed the border. Was the war poorly run or ill timed, yep. But even if we had held off in 2003 it would have eventually been inevitable.
      The War in Afghanistan is another example of poor management but again, you have focused here on only half the problem. The Taliban government in Afghanistan was our enemy simply for the fact that they harbored AQ. They had a chance to turn them over and declined. The entire premise of both Sadam and the Taliban are essentially aligned with the same type of goals and methods used by the Nazis. It has been well documented on the part of Sadam that Hilter was his example of governance, and the Arab world in general subscribed and aligned with Nazism in WWII (Fatwah issued by Mufti of Jerusalem 1939). That is why it is also a fools errand to differentiate the Taliban of Pakistan, Afghanistan, or the Bathists in Syria, Iraq, or the current regime in Iran. They are essentially fighting for the same thing in different cloaks and banners.
      They are also a cunning and cruel enemy that will be difficult to beat and you are right about the rest of the Arab world needing to rise up, they are in some places (Iran) and but it is going to be a long and costly war. Ultimately it will be worth every penny and every drop of blood if we can bring it to a successful conclusion. Though I fear that is generations away.

2. profile image0

Wow! I'm not sure what you meant could you clarify a bit?

11. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

There is no such thing as good or bad, there is only what you like or dislike. smile

Happy New Year! smile

12. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Personally I feel that OBL has been suppressed for several years whether dead or otherwise.

13. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

Never a good thing, but most definately a neccessary thing at times.

14. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image58
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

War solves several problems in a short period. Better end the problem and live in peace after "settling the problems".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)