Do you think we have a soul?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (177 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

And if so, how would you describe it?

Thanks

Kimberly

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think our entity has three distinct layers. We are a body, a spirit and a soul. Our body is obviously... our material body, our spirit is the life force or energy that brings us alive, and our soul is something connected to the divine (God, if you please). Our soul is the part that makes us strive for the good. Those who are selfish, ignorant or wicked, someone killed their souls.

Don't look at me like that. You asked for it. smile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks big_smile

2. yolanda yvette profile image59
      yolanda yvetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every person has a soul.  Our mind, will and emotions constitute the soul.

3. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe I AM Soul, not that I HAVE one.  Could be confusing, perhaps, but Soul is ME.  The BODY I (as Soul) am using is no more than a jacket, to be changed at need (and/or will).

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think the soul is our spirit self. our physical self is just the sausage casing, if you will. the spirit self is also like a big pilot light and when it goes out, you exit your physical body and move on to your next life.

5. mohitmisra profile image62
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A fragment of the super soul or god.

6. Judith Gill profile image60
      Judith Gillposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Traditional Christian teaching indicates that we take on a spiritual aspect when we die. Many saints, for example, have reputedly visited individuals, coming back themselves from the after-life and being seen as human beings. We know, however, that the body eventually perishes when we die, so those holy people are viewed spiritually - their souls only being viewed in a physical sense.

The Resurrection of Jesus is associated with the soul phenomenon. Tradition tells us that Jesus went to Heaven body and soul, and he is the exception, of course. Nevertheless, he paved the way for believers to join him, but only as souls until the end of the world.

7. B.K. Pravin profile image60
      B.K. Pravinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are souls and we take bodies.  The bodies that we souls take perish but we souls travel from one birth to next birth taking with us the good and bad we had done in each birth.  When a soul takes a body it is called birth and when a soul leaves a body it is called death.

8. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes,we--you, Kim, and I anyway (not speaking for the rest)--we have souls.
      I think the soul is what makes you you and it's what makes you do the good/positive/right things you do whether you think you want to or not.  Conscience and soul I think are connected.

I see a few of you went off on a tangent.  just answer the question.  It's a yes/no question.  if you Do answer no then you describe the soul.
      The rest is tangential and only serves to give other people the chance to give you sh*t.
      Just look up above for a fine example of someone deciding to give someone sh*t because they went beyond just answerign the question.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol People love to dish out garbage when other people see things different. smile big_smile

9. chukra G profile image60
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deep black hole without the black smile

10. Sa Toya profile image83
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do believe we have souls.
      I think its our entity our being itself that dwells deep within us.It is our spirit/essence

Some Christians believe when you die it goes on to God.

I hope this isn't taken wrong Everyone has a soul irrespective of God or a belief in him.

I don't think we ever lose it when we die we lose only our physical body, depending on what we indulge in...like evil,wicked,horrible the channel to the soul is blocked and people like that forget they have one and their self worth.

I say this because not all vile people choose to be, various situations in their life may have caused them to become that way.

Hope I make sense? smile

1. mohitmisra profile image62

Perfect sense to me. smile

11. Shil1978 profile image85
      Shil1978posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe so. In a way, living beings are mechanical and like machines. However, I don't think we are just wonderful machines made by nature (or God), depending on your perspective.

I think there's that something else that makes us 'alive' and 'conscious/aware,' particulary us humans. I think that something is the 'soul."

I would define the soul as energy. Its hard to define it exactly, as we don't see it or can study it. However, that's about the best that I can fathom it as!!

12. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of my favorite musings for the soul is from Plato, who said the soul was three parts; the logos - mind, the thymos - emotion, the eros - desire.

Of course, despite Plato, the many other musings of philosophers and the many claims from believers, the soul has never been demonstrated to exist.

Clearly, many wish to believe it to exist, but they cannot even offer a plausible explanation as to what the soul comprises. Some say it is the mind, yet we have a brain to explain the mind. Some say it is a spirit, yet no spirits have been demonstrated to exist, either.

So, most likely the soul is a faith based belief that allows believers to believe they're immortal and will live forever once their bodies have died.

Plato spoke of the soul and its immortality, the philosophers have been knowers of truth.

13. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we 'have' a soul, I think we 'are' a soul. I think the cocoon we call our human body isn't what we are, but what we are in.  wink

14. seyiari profile image60
      seyiariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes i do have a soul. i am a spirit with a soul , living in a body.

15. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course, and beautiful but it has nothing to do with all of that christian crap

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I don't know Kimberly. Some times I think we do, some times - we don't, depending on the amount of shit I see around smile

3. Bill Manning profile image66
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

No.

4. dogluver1 profile image60
    dogluver1posted 14 years ago

Of course we have a soul! Our body stays on earth when we die our souls go to heaven or hell.

Simple as that. wink

2. Cagsil profile image69

Can you prove your statement? Please. smile

Die and find out for yourself.

1. profile image0

ouch that was a horrible thing to say OMG!  I wish I could report you but I believe it's now my problem, not HP's.

Your not funny and I have taken great offense to your words MOVE ON MEAN MAN!

1. lorlie6 profile image72
            lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Report!

2. mohitmisra profile image62

Its not horrible one needs to die be reborn.Its the experience all mystics talk off.

Been as close as I want to, to that particular event. So, don't try and pass the buck, like you usually do. Again, what is with you, interjecting into other people's conversation. That's twice today and you've been on under 2 hours, if that.

Stay out of my conversations. smile Other than that- Have a great day! smile

Not close enough. Not passing the buck but educating you.

Human, you have no knowledge for which to educate me with. You're too funny! There isn't anything about my life, that you could possibly know about that I don't already know.

Therefore, you're arrogant/ignorant remarks are useless, because I've seen through the HOAX of GOD. So, please take your trash talk elsewhere. You proclaim enlightenment, so you can personally gain from whatever knowledge you do have and to no benefit of others. Your words are untruths, perpetuated by your religious view.

Nice try. I've been re-born(not in the sense you're talking, but in the real sense of the word) and my eyes are open. So, enjoy! smile

If I didnt have knowledge I wouldn't get ranked so highly, simple logic.

What you don't know is enlightenment, god and death something I do know .
                Have written a book sharing my knowledge and this will benefit humanity. Be open minded and learn.

God is not a hoax, because you haven't found god doesn't mean god doesn't exist, that is ignorance and arrogance.

You just don't know when to leave well enough alone. That shows you are not too bright. What part of anything I've said to you, don't you get.

Your knowledge has not effect/affect on me. Use your simpleton ways on the weak minded, like you're use to. Don't try getting into an intellectual battle with me. Your wits are not that good to begin with.

And, as for how you got to be so highly ranked, is be there is enough bullsh## in your musings to attracted weak minded people who have trouble understanding their own life, so you try to get them to agree with you. No matter how much you have beat it into their brain...you just keep coming.

You need a serious wake up call and sooner or later, it will be given to you. This I have no doubt. Again, like I've already told. Leave me alone and go choose someone else to bother. You are becoming more of nuisance than you're actually worth.

Have a nice day and leave it at that. Get the hint!

You can NOT prove GOD exists. Therefore, your words are lies.

And, I don't have to prove GOD exists or doesn't exists. In real life, imaginary things don't affect living things. Your god, just like everyone elses, is imaginary. I don't care how you dress it up.

In reality- GOD doesn't exist and you can't prove he does. So, this is now over.

You don't know god doesn't make me a liar.

2. marinealways24 profile image58
                    marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You brought up something that got me thinking. I think imaginary things affect living things on a daily basis. I think all starts from the imagination or lack of.

2. tantrum profile image61
                tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Can you prove yours?

I live in a real world, with real people. Therefore, if you want to bring in an imaginary friend to play....your friend would have to be real, in order to play.

Mind games are for people like you, who don't truly understand life. I also find it interesting that you take this tact with me, by answering my question to someone else.

Do you know how to stay out of other people's conversation or didn't your parents ever teach you the difference between being polite or being rude?

If you want to bring your sad "GOD" idea into reality, you must first prove his exists. And, since you don't know how to do that or can't do that....then guess what. You are SOL!

Have a great day.

Reality says "GOD" doesn't exist. Science says there is a possibility for the 'existence' of "GOD", but only leaves the door open, so it can continue to do it's work without interruption from religious influence.

Before you decide to bring what you think you know, into a conversation....you might consider doing what I do, before getting into the conversation- think about it, and I mean the whole concept....for which, you can't wrap your mind around, much less anything else, and understand it for what it is and what it is not. Since you're arrogance and ignorance are in your way to understanding. I can understand why you're actually blind about this subject.

Either way, you too can now go away, because you're not much better than Mohit, and his minions of GOD worshippers. Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

Reality says "GOD" doesn't exist. Science says there is a possibility for the 'existence' of "GOD", but only leaves the door open, so it can continue to do it's work without interruption from religious influence.

Have you ever hear of the particle accelerators?

You are a joke dude. Seriously, you don't know when to take your sad untruths and go away. I've already made a mockery of you once and I'd rather not do it again. smile

1. wesleyacarter profile image55
                wesleyacarterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you need a hug, man.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Thank You I will have a great day. This reality guy you say was talking to you...where does he live? Can I talk to him as well or does he only talk to you?

5. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I agree with Haunty. I think the soul is the part that tells us right from wrong, too.

That would be your conscience. Wouldn't it? smile

If it's your conscience, what about those who don't know right from wrong then? Do the have no conscience? Just wondering.

Those who don't know right from wrong, do have a conscience, they refuse to acknowledge it. smile

Your hub about intelligence is definitely in accordance with how you act. I'll be back to read it to the end when I have more sense about me. For now, it seems to me that you have a strong and rigid view of how things are in the world, with more benefits than drawbacks. smile

2. elayne001 profile image78
          elayne001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They are "past feeling". They have ignored their conscience so many times that they no longer can tell the difference between right and wrong. It is a matter of choices IMHO.

6. sabrinasirianni profile image59
    sabrinasirianniposted 14 years ago

Absolutely I do... They say everyone loses exactly 21 grams of weight in the exact minute they die.  I would like to think that is the soul moving on...

1. profile image0

welcome Sabrina to HubPages! big_smile

7. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 14 years ago

What is a conscience? How do we know it's not the same as a soul? We can't see it or measure it. How do we know it exists?

The conscience is a reasoning mechanism in your brain, which tells you in advance, if something is right or wrong. It is not the same as a soul, even by definition.

We can't see it or measure it? Yes, you can measure your conscience and you can see it every time you choose to act.

How do we know it exists? First, it would be helpful to know you have one, so you know it exists. Acknowledging it is the first step toward internal guidance. smile

2. profile image62
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent points!  I would agree that our consciousness is our soul as I would view it.

1. profile image54

That can easily be refuted. If that part of the brain that is our conscience was damaged or removed through surgery, which most certainly has occurred, does that mean we no longer have a soul?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

That person left as a vegtable, perhaps is a souless cocoon. The human body with no mental capacity may indeed be a good example of a souless body.

1. profile image54

All you've managed to do is add confusion by replacing the word 'consciousness' with 'soul' - which isn't very useful considering the word 'soul' has a great deal of asserted explanations and definitions well beyond that of consciousness.

Please then, refute away.

1. profile image54

Uh, reading comprehension issue, Mikel? See my post there.

Ok my thoughts are this.
                  1) this thread was about whether we have a soul or not.
                  2) You threw the mind and the concepts of the mind into it.
                  3) Someone else stated that the 'Mind' was another way of giving a name to what we call the soul...
                  4) I don't follow how 'I' have added the word soul to a debate about the existence of a soul.
                  5) I believe your addition of the word 'mind' may however be an example of what your trying to accuse me of...???
                  6) A person in a vegative state 'may be' a good example of a souless body.

1. profile image54

Yes, and I tried to explain to you that the vegetative state one may be in is already defined and that the definition of the 'soul' which most here are purporting to exist is well beyond that cognitive state.

Again, you're free to believe that part of the brain which governs our consciousness is the soul, but you only add more levels of confusion by doing so.

See now?

Soul is being aware of an inner and higher you and then you have the super soul or god ,the cosmic you in totality.This boils down to perception or ones outlook or awareness or consciousness levels.
              The Holy Vedas categorises the human species in a few thousand according to different consciousness levels. The highest being the ones who have awakened to this Light within and without. smile

8. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

I had a shoe once that had a sole, but it wore thin.

1. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lolol

9. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Speaking for myself only, without proof or logic, not based on any particular belief....I am a soul smile Holly

10. Bruno Deshayes profile image59
    Bruno Deshayesposted 14 years ago

Animals go about doing what they were created for. They have a body and a soul. On the other hand human beings belong to a spiritual realm and have a body, a soul and a spirit. The need to reach out to God is unique to mankind. You will never see a beehive, a pack of wolves or a school of fish involved in worship.

Because we operate both on a physical and spiritual realm we can percieve the physical world with our five senses (sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste) but we have to approach the spiritual world with our spirit. Unfortunately for some that spirit is dead and needs to be born-again. I'll stop there. Suffice to say you still have your conscience to distinguish right from wrong.

I think you need to learn more about what you're talking about. lol lol lol

11. profile image0
    Hikikomoriposted 14 years ago

No, I don't think.

I once experienced something astral projection-like though.

That is soul travel. smile

12. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

our mind is our soul. After death , only the body is lost , our soul lives

13. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

My response to this is to think of a basic rule of science. Nothing is created or destroyed, it simply moves from one state of being to another. The spark that animates this body of mine cannot be destroyed by the death of this body as science tells us nothing is destroyed just changed or transfered if you will. What exactly happens to this spark is anyones guess as far as I can tell. Does it maintain a sense of self? Does it return to a bigger whole? The mystery will be discovered by each of us when we transcend this physical state of being and not before.

1. marinealways24 profile image58

Agreed, well said. Many religions like to claim the absolute of knowing what happens at death to gain followers. One of their biggest recruitment tools.

1. chukra G profile image60
        chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah they idiots, when they believe in soul they failed to believe they don't die.

Its after one understands the soul the he knows he  cannot die smile

2. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you liked my post. I actually love the mystery of not knowing as opposed to the absolute knowing of religion. They mystery of it all makes life a lot of fun for me. I have a job where I help keep kids safe crossing the road to and from school and I often wonder if I will someday get to see what would have been had I done a different job. Its a kinda Buddhist zen feeling, what could have been and what was ya know? Anyway I think the possibilities give hope and the claims of absolutes give fear instead.

I agree with you that the mystery is better. If we had everything in life already defined for us, I don't think there would be any use in learning new things or expanding ourselves.

Knowledge leads to liberation smile

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
            Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too bad for you.

1. tantrum profile image61

lol
              Try not to get banned  by the 'Banning spree' ! lol
              I stopped replying to this 'prophet' just in case.
              Let him dig his own grave ! big_smile

1. Bovine Currency profile image59
                Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, probably not worth the effort.

1. tantrum profile image61

that's what I think!
                  There are a lot of interesting hubbers to  talk to here in HP
                  Lets not waste our time. Anyway everybody knows mohit by now ! and his book ranking as well !
                  big_smile

And you are the only ones here who abuse me. :)Your philosophy in life is weird , this is a religious forum and my work is also ranked in top 10 Poetry inspirational and religious books so please understand my work will benefit humanity, I have to spread the knowledge I have gained and the day will come when you thank me for it. smile

Spreading god knowledge may be alien to you but it isn't spamming. You are all so cheap now thats how you will try and discredit me.Look ate my work, the knoweldge I am imparting is good and not something bad.Can you possibly add something intelligent to this debate so it goes ahead.

3. aguasilver profile image70
                aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're talking about the prophet who sells a $1.50 self published ebook?

I agree with you, stay silent and stay sane! hmm

3. mohitmisra profile image62

All prophets and enlightened ones do know and it is their basic message and spread knowledge of this light, One.Religions are formed by groups of people appreciating and following one of  these knower of god. smile

lol I think you should know by now that I think prophets are phoney until I am proven wrong.

Very nice and yes one will need to experience death in order to understand what happens when one dies and what is god or the self.smile
      One goes back to his source  which is a fine light, intelligent love tissue with no beginning and no and ,timeless.
      Spiritual books inspire man to meditate and find the meaning of death, self and god.They reveal subtler secrets and a deeper meaning of life.

14. helianthus profile image60
    helianthusposted 14 years ago

Not sure now but we're all bound to find out laterz won't we? smile

Anytime ,I had my experience at the age of twenty four. smile

1. helianthus profile image60
        helianthusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah you're just scaring the shit out of me!!! LOL cool Okay, I believe you!!! smile

lol   lol  wink  smile

15. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Each person is going to answer this question differently.  I have never met two intelligent people who could agree absolutely to an answer to a question like this.  I think each of us has our own idea of the truth and each person's beliefs are relevant.  Arguing one's position on a question like this is an exercise in futility.  You will never completely convince your opponent of your views, not absolutely!  There is something that causes us to continually ask ourselves this question. I do not believe it can be answered correctly by anyone. I believe there are many names for the same thing depending on whether you are looking at it from a religious perspective, a scientific perspective, or a psychological perspective, but no matter what someone wants to label it I do believe the soul exists.

1. profile image54

But, that is entirely the point, there is no "it" to label.

You didn't get the point.He is saying that souls do exist. smile

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Something causes humans to question things. I do not know if there is a "soul" that moves on to different realms after death.
        I am aware of myself as an individual and I do feel emotions like guilt and happiness.  I am me yet I know that my life is also interlocked with every other thing in existence. What is "IT" that makes me aware!

1. profile image54

Your brain.

You mean the mind , something not tangible as well?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75

By my example you call the "soul"  the mind that is fine by me.

1. profile image54

Sorry, but the mind is the brain and is not a soul.

I am so naive science can prove the existence of the mind?

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
                    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think therefore I am.

2. profile image54

By definition, the mind is the brain.

Was asking Q , I understand you.smile

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75

Why are there not similiar debates among the other creatures of the earth, they also have brains. What makes humans question things like this.  My dogs only ponder three things eating sleeping and of course emptying.

1. kirstenblog profile image77

Do your dogs not ponder the joy of chasing cats or large sticks? One of my dogs as a kid did more then ponder the joy of smelly socks, he indulged in the pleasure of stealing them! tongue

My dogs seem to play spontaneously. They only ponder on their food or where to lay down or when to go out.  Everything else seems to be just going with the flow.  Although I am starting to suspect my Chihuahua is a Zen master incognito.

1. kirstenblog profile image77

Your Chihuahua is probably far wiser then you suspect! tongue The question is why they should share their wisdom with us when we will give them food and belly rubs anyway smile

2. profile image54

The Neocortex in our brain that allows logic and thinking to occur is much larger than that of a dog, hence dogs have some capacity for intelligence just as many other mammals with Neocortex development. Their odor-processing region of the brain is four times larger than ours, demonstrating the dogs ability to smell over ours.

But, it's not just the brain size, it is also how it's wired and how it developed. Our brains evolved to learn languages while the dogs brain evolved to interpret scent, hence a large part of it's brain processes are devoted to such.

So, in order to answer your question, we would also have to answer the question as to why dogs don't think the same as whales, who also have a similar brain but have evolved differently from dogs.

This is not a religious question although I am aware of the category I do not mean it in the religious sense.
                  How does mankind differentiate between good and evil and can it be viewed in the material world or only in the ethereal world of one's thoughts? Do animals ever show the same capacity?

1. profile image54

Good and evil are discussed ad nauseum in religious scriptures in which the good of one religion are the evils of another. So, those concepts appear for the most part to be of a religious nature and one of absolutes, as can be demonstrated with the ten commandments and sin.

From an evolutionary standpoint, humans have by trial and error come to the realization that working with one another while trying to make sure we don't harm others is beneficial to our survival. Those who don't wish to work with others and wish to harm others in order to survive could very well be considered evil, if that's the label one desires to attach.

Yes, many animals show varying levels of the same evolutionary characteristics of working together and not harming others. Some do not. Again, it all depends on the development of their brains and their environment in which they survive.

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Electric! Religious folk call it the divine spark. Non-believers might think of the soul as the electrical charge that jumps around inside the brain and outlives the flesh and blood part of us. I suppose if radio signals cannot be destroyed but go on into outer space forever (somewhere on another planet an astronomer has picked up a Superman radio broadcast of the 1950s and is wondering if the man of steel will someday pay them a visit)...Maybe the same is true when it comes to our electrical impulses. Maybe they go on...Energy cannot be destroyed. It can at best or worse be transformed into another type of energy. Chemical to electrical and so on.

A scientist might say these electrical impulses in the brain relate to science and not religion and therefore the point is not valid. You can make up your own mind I suppose.

3. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years ago

To quote Derek Prince, one of Gods most diligent men:

The spirit of man comes directly from God and relates directly to God. In the original pattern of creation, there was a descending relationship. God moved upon man’s spirit; his spirit moved upon his soul; and his soul directed his body. Through man’s rebellion, however, his spirit was set aside and his soul took over control. As a result, unregenerate man is controlled by the three functions of his soul: the will, the intellect and the emotions.

When God reconciles man to Himself, His purpose is to restore the original order, by which He once again relates directly to man’s spirit; man’s spirit in turn moves upon his soul; and man’s soul moves upon his body. This explains the words of David in Psalm 103:1: Bless the LORD, O my soul.

Through faith David’s spirit had been reunited with God and was eager to worship Him. So his spirit stirred up his soul to move upon his vocal organs to utter the appropriate words of worship.

So long as man remains in submission to God and his soul remains in submission to his spirit, man functions in harmony with God and with himself. But if at any time man reasserts his rebellion against God, his soul is no longer in submission to his spirit and the inner harmony is broken. This means that there is constant tension between the spirit and the soul.

The Greek of the New Testament has a special adjective, formed directly from the word for soul, psuche, which describes action initiated by the soul.

The adjective is psuchikos.

The natural way to render this in English would be soulish, but unfortunately English has not produced such a word.

Consequently, English translations of the New Testament have used a variety of different words:
      natural.
      sensual.
      worldly.
      unspiritual.
      worldly-minded.
      without the spirit.

and a phrase,

to follow their natural instinct.

English readers, who cannot get behind the translations, therefore have no way of knowing that these seven different words or phrases all translate one and the same Greek word.

Very nice passage from Derek Prince. smile

4. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

i feel that when god breathed into Adam the breath of life, he then said "you are a living soul" so we are souls.

OLD MAN old soul, nothing goes off at death, we are souls, poor souls some of us

5. caravalhophoto profile image60
      caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

This is a great question Lyrics and after reading 2 pages of off subject crazy talk, I wanted to answer your question with of course...my opinion.

I truely believe our Souls do move on and we take with us the knowledge of our pasts and are reborn to learn what we couldn't in the past.  I believe that is were the term "old souls" came from and of course those "deja vu" moments that can't be explained.

When the lesson is learned, an Angel get's her Wings...smile

I also do believe that our Souls do have a mate, whether they have met in the past or have yet to meet and some have already met...lalalalala wink

6. Bovine Currency profile image59
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

<snipped>

So please define this for me: Is this a joke?  Is this a threat?

7. Bovine Currency profile image59
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

You never needed my permission.

8. wesleyacarter profile image55
      wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

I always saw the soul as that connection between ourselves and divine.

The divine being inexplicable, the soul is also, in a way, beyond explanation.

The divine can mean science, God, deities, a book, or whatever you think stands above our "true" perception, or the "naked" eye.

The soul can be recognized most easily in acts of empathy, whether watching someone hit the lottery and jump up and down; watching someone sitting on the sidewalk, ripe with starvation; or seeing someone in a torture chair. Hearing a man screaming in pain in the next room will unearth a bit of your soul.

It's basically your ability to see the common denominator between yourself and other humans beings, animals or beings of this world. An internal interpretation of external qualities; the means of interpretation that stand outside of scrutiny itself.

9. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 14 years ago

Soul is another name for consciousness, the awareness of yourself and the fact that we are alive. It is the energy in our body that keeps us alive. Once we die all the chemical reactions in our body stop and that energy or soul cease to exist. When people experience near death experiences they are experiencing a sudden drop in that energy level in their brain and are seeing their body image collapsing. But as far as what happens after we die, we all will find out one day or there may not be anything after we die. No one really know.

1. profile image54

No, it isn't. Consciousness is the name for consciousness. The soul has countless meanings, each one as vague and nondescript as the other.

10. marinealways24 profile image58
      marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Shouldn't this question be for James Brown to answer?

Why James Brown? I don't understand the reference...

James Brown was the godfather of soul...

LOL oh now I get it...lmao

11. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 14 years ago

No soul,no god,no demons.

1. aguasilver profile image70

No hope.

1. skyfire profile image78
          skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Err, hope for what ? 2012 or Hell ?

Just no hope, if people are unable to recognize their soul, God or demons, theres no hope, they are just kinda lost.

2012 is a spoof, Hell is undefined, both are irrelevant if your comment was to be true.

1. skyfire profile image78
              skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Assumption at it's best. Better come up with rational way instead of making it that way.

2. getitrite profile image72
              getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No hope for what?  LOST???!  Did you recognize your soul, God, and demons?  Are there demons under your bed?  Are there demons under my bed?  So your soul-God-and-demons are all playing continuously in a realm that is invisible.  Sounds like you're trying to trick me!

12. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years ago

http://i46.tinypic.com/2q2qxcy.jpg

(this is really on a streetcorner yikes smile)

I always wanted to put a billboard up outside the church saying:

Eternal Life

$10,000

then in small print underneath...
        (Free to first time applicants)

John cool

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile i dare ya! big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image79
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hell yes!! lol

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I suppose soul selling is fine. Gotta watch out for Indulgences, though!

13. westpointfb20 profile image62
      westpointfb20posted 14 years ago

Yes, I believe we do. Now determining what a soul is presents a challenge. I am not sure anyone can truly offer up an explanation that leaves the majority of us satisfied. Perhaps, it is the pureness of ones being, the immortal part of them that is to inhibit this universe forever. Through the beings actions and decisions over the span of their life it is either enhanced, degraded, or remains in a neutral state of purity. This would offer up an explanation of ones soul going to heaven or hell, as well as explaining that those who die as newborns or young children have not yet corrupted this pureness that rest within. Of course this theory has many holes, but it is simply the best I can put into words my beliefs at this moment.

1. profile image54

One simply takes your theory a step further by opining there are no such things as souls, which explains your reasoning perfectly.

14. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

There absolutely has to be a distinction between the body and a soul. Without a division between the two we would be more aware of things happening in the body. There is also a separation between the soul and spirit. My life force (spirit) operates separately from my soul (conscience)

When our spirit and soul comes together in agreement this is what some people call being at one with self, or at peace with self.

Anyone that can not recognize a division of self and body has more problems than they know. Self is, spirit and soul contained within a physical body.  A rose by any other name is still a rose, call it what ya want.

15. Sanctus Vesania profile image59
      Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

We don't HAVE a soul, we ARE a living soul.  This is one area that I can't believe so many Christians get wrong.  Now, if you're an atheist skip past this part.  If you're a Christian, keep reading.

Genesis states that God created Adam from the dust/dirt, and then breathed into him the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Never says anything about God giving a person an 'immortal soul, or immortal spirit'

Obviously this means I believe in the concept of soul sleep.

16. dogluver1 profile image60
      dogluver1posted 14 years ago

So if this is true what happens when we die? You just see black?

1. Sanctus Vesania profile image59
        Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Until the resurrection.

17. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 14 years ago

I believe that we do, yes. I used to be Buddhist thinking. They have the 'Anatta' doctrine, which means, "no soul". (They're always a bit stumped when you ask them who or what is 'reborn' if there is no soul.) I no longer think that way. Just yesterday, I was at an exhibit called Body Worlds 2, where they display plastinated bodies with various organs and systems visible, (controversial in itself). The thing I came away with, principally, is that the displays confirm the presence of a soul by it's obvious ABSENCE from the bodies being shown. That is, we are more than the sum of our bodies, as magnificent as they are---the soul is the presence that observes the "I" thought.

There are two basic philosophies , the first has atma or soul and param atma or super soul or god.

The other only refers to it as atma or spirit , there is no division. smile

Both are correct.

1. profile image0
          philip carey 61posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Anatta doctrine is. literally, 'no soul'. It's referred to again and again in the Pali Cannon, which are the earliest extant teachings attributed to Gotama. The Majima Nikaya or "Middle Length Discourses" are a good place to sample the core Buddhist teachings. They form the basis of Theravada Buddhism, which is the more traditional. Later, of course, the Mayayana schools all came up with versions of Buddhism, but remain true to most of the basics. The Atman and Brahman are Hindu concepts, construed by Buddhism as "little soul" and "universal soul", and are thus in direct contradiction to the Anatta doctrine. Both extremes, are avoided (I am nothing/I am everything), and they take the 'middle path'. The Buddha was steadfast in not taking any 'views'. 

Anyway, Happy New Year!

18. LizzyBoo profile image60
      LizzyBooposted 14 years ago

Soul is the inner light of each of us. Our soul reflects and shine trought our bodies. We all have soul which makes us complete.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)