Threaded Forums

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (46 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

We just released a small update to the site.

The most noticeable change in this release was the addition of a threaded view to the forums.  For now, it's only available to signed in users and you can easily switch back and forth between the threaded view and the chronological view by clicking the link in the upper right corner (the system will remember your preference).

We think the threaded view will make following a long conversation much easier.  If have any questions, suggestions, or bug reports related to the threaded view please post them here.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul, I was wondering about that...

1. Lily Rose profile image86
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting - I can definitely see how it would make following long threads easier.

Is it possible to add the start date of a thread where it indicates who started a thread (ie: "Posted by so-and-so in ABC thread on xx-xx-xx")?   I know it shows when the last post was placed, but sometimes I go to an interesting sounding thread, which someone has recently commented in, just to find out that the thread was started 2 months ago and the topic really isn't relevant any more.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great!  This is a lot like the Blogcatalog forums.  It does make it a lot easier to manage.

3. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
        Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good addition! This makes the forums more navigable.

4. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paul.
        How is it more useful than previous one. We are habituated of older version and finding difficulties in understanding.

What are the differences between threaded and chronological versions?

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I love the fact the the quoted text no longer needs to be repeated in the threaded version. And I understand why the avitars need to be smaller, since the threads would fill the screen. But I feel they are so small that they lose their affect.  Can a compromise be made with a size just a bit bigger?  And another suggestion is to show the other data about the Hubber when one hovers over the avitar. That other data was useful to see in the chronological version.

pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we're going to take them from 30px to 40px (78% bigger) with the next release.  I think that should make them easier to see.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul. You guys are doing a bang-up job there. Looking forward to the next HP release. This threaded method is so much better to track individual threads. Only bug I discovered is that when one replies, it does not show the quote of the post they replied to if someone is viewing it in the Chronological mode. It's only a concern if people are still viewing it that way. There is no "reply with quote" option in the new version as it is no longer needed when staying with the new version.

6. hublim profile image68
        hublimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool new addition. I’m sure it will take some time to get used to but will be good. It allows a different way of viewing forums which be to some peoples liking, I’m sure many people will prefer the chronological order and maintain using that but it’s nice to have options.

I’d like the avatars to be the same size as before though.

2. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

Thank you Paul. I appreciate the explanation. smile

Dang it all, Denno-you're too cute!
        (Sorry Paul)

1. profile image0
          Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm like the FairPoint bundle. big_smile

I'll bundle you any time! lol

1. profile image0
              Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you're talkin'! big_smile

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years ago

thanks Paul!

4. mel22 profile image60
      mel22posted 14 years ago

Pretty cool idea. I can see where this would be helpful on a long topic

5. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years ago

I just ran across it and wondered what it was, thank you again for something exciting and new, I am certain I will find use for it. smile

There is one litte bug it is opening rather slow.

6. AEvans profile image72

Now it is moving! Thanks ! smile

7. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Thanks for this. I love it. It really helps with longer posts.

8. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years ago

A great "tweak" - Once again, thanks Paul and all of the Hub Team!

9. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Thats great Paul, good work..find it too slow when Im chasing after a particular topic otherwise smile

10. AEvans profile image72

There isn't a quote button only reply can you add it? smile

One reason we created the threaded view is to discourage excessive quoting.  When the post you are responding to is easy to find, there isn't much point in quoting it.

1. AEvans profile image72
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I realize you are trying to discourage excessive quoting but there is a reply button on the very bottom which allows us to comment on the thread. It is odd when you may not be able to quote the reply because someone may not know who or whom you are talking to, however I can see your point partially because excessive quoting takes up a lot of space. smile Is there anyway you could add an automatic @ button which enables hubbers to use the @ sign so another person knows who they are speaking to? Some of the new hubbers do not even know how to use the @ button. Just a thought. It may eliminate excessive quoting. smile

1. Sue Adams profile image95
            Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AEvansposted 12 hours ago

....I realize you are trying to discourage excessive quoting  ...

You can copy and paste the quote as I've done above (if at all necessary). But it's no longer needed now that we reply immediately to the relevant post.

Great Improvement  cool

2. Whitney05 profile image83
            Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're that worried about it, when you're replying, add the person's name so they know. Or just manually add @. Why add an automatic when it takes a half a second to do it yourself. Not worth their time to code that.

Otherwise, don't use the threaded version.

1. AEvans profile image72
              AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not worried about it I was only looking out for some of the new hubbers who do not understand how to use it or what it is, but thank you for the response and it truly makes sense. It was only an idea. smile

11. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Great addition. This will make reading religion forum threads a bit easier.

12. itech profile image63
      itechposted 14 years ago

Good Work,
      Thanks...

13. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Thanks Paul big_smile

14. Dao Hoa profile image61
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Ah! Thank you Paul. Yes,it is easier to follow the thread.

Suggestion: instead of "posted ... minutes ago", make it "posted at...AM/PM on../../.."

15. Dame Scribe profile image57
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Oooooo ! big_smile we are getting sooooo Cool wink thank you Mr. Paul and HP Team!

16. profile image0
      shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

thanks

17. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years ago

Yep, thanks that will make things work much easier...

18. profile image0
      khmohsinposted 14 years ago

it is good and better, but the can be improved specially the replies to the same post should be outlined or extra styles should be applied to highlight replies that are quoted

19. wrenfrost56 profile image58
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Thank-you for another good feature. smile

20. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I can see how some might like this new feature. I'm not a fan of the threaded version it's less friendly looking with the tiny avatars.  I'll be sticking with the chronological order.

21. thranax profile image71
      thranaxposted 14 years ago

Ironically reminds me of Twitter. I think its a fun feature and effective for long posts, but I do like the original best. Maybe the avatars don't need to be scaled down so much in threaded view?

~thranax~

22. Lita C. Malicdem profile image61
      Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

Great addition and adjustment. It gives me the feeling I'm doing the right thing here. Thanks, Paul.

23. khawfash profile image59
      khawfashposted 14 years ago

Great feature.  Thanks.

24. Sa Toya profile image83
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Awesome...I assume this is why hubpages was a little naughty today...for me anyways

cheers for it big_smile

25. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

This is an extremely worthwhile addition.  I love it.  The new threaded version makes it SO clear now when I read someone's reply that contained the prior person's quote. Now it just shows the reply itself, threaded to the post being quoted. This is much easier to follow.

Anyone who is questioning this, go click the "threaded" link in the top right corner to switch it on and see for yourself. I think you will agree with me.

26. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

@ Paul,
      I have requested to explain the need and purpose of the new thread. Please explain it.
      Some says that it is saving space but you need more space because older version still exists.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

The main advantage of the threaded view is that when a forum topic splinters into several separate conversions, it is easy to follow each of them because they are displayed together.  The space people are talking about is space on your screen.  With quotes no longer displayed, you can see a lot more of the discussion on your screen at one time (or on one page).

27. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Yes, I definitely think it's a great improvement but sometimes it's difficult for people to adopt a new way of doing things because they are used to and comfortable with the old way. I expet the chronological view will, all in good time disappear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)