An Eye for an Eye

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (97 posts)
  1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub called Being Unique... In it I state,

"Being evil to evil is good, but it is also evil. Being brilliantly good saints at doing evil to evil is a greater evil to evil, but it also a greater good. This I call God's Paradox, because only God could have possibly created something this complex and it, to me is the proof that God is a being of Goodness even though God allows evil to exist.

Another way of saying this is, you really only have two choices, 1- to do good or 2- to do evil...either way you choose...your doing evil.

Remember do evil to evil by doing only good, the greater the good you do, the greater the evil you do to evil, and that makes it all alright."

I'm starting to think maybe this is where the term 'eye for an eye' came from (doing evil to evil), and it became over time about revenge and doing harm to 'Anyone' that did a person any slight....

Your Thoughts?

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't see it that way.
      It doesn't matter how much Good you do, Evil won't increase nor decrease.
      Evil is one thing, and Good another.
      Let's say that while a war is going on, and a lot of people get killed, there's a Mission doing charity in another country.
      what the 'good' of the mission can alter the 'evil' of the war ?

Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The point is by doing ONLY good
        if people only do good, there would be no war.

If people only do GOOD , Good and Evil disappears all together.
          If there's no action against one or the other, the word loses its meaning.
          If you only have beauty and no ugliness, you don't need the word beauty anymore.
          you couldn't say: How beautiful is miss X, if there's no ugly people
          you can't say Mr. Q is so good, if there's no evil anymore.

It would never happen in a bipolar world.In a world of opposites.

2. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice thoughts! And definitely a better way of thinking compared to usual understanding of this word play!

Thank You

3. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only works if you define "doing evil" in some unconventional way which, IMO, you cannot do (because if we ditch the agreed-upon meanings of words and phrases we cannot get anywhere... I can't arbitrarily to decide to start calling turnips "carrots").

"Doing evil" is doing damage to something of worth (like a person, a great work of art, a planet, and so on). I am not doing evil when I destroy a big pile of garbage, for example, unless, as I say, you want to define "doing evil" in an idiosyncratic way (but, again, if I want to define "eating radishes" as "climbing Mt Everest" that's up to me... doesn't mean I am right)

The definitions:

from Wikipedia;
        Evil, in many cultures, is a broad term used to describe what are seen as subjectively harmful deeds that are labeled as such to steer moral support. Evil is usually contrasted with good, which describes acts that are subjectively beneficial to the observer. In some religions, evil is an active force, often personified as an entity such as Satan or Ahriman.

from Dictionary dot com;

e⋅vil  /ˈivəl/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [ee-vuhl]  Show IPA
        Use evil in a Sentence
        See images of evil
        Search evil on the Web
        –adjective 1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life. 
        2. harmful; injurious: evil laws. 
        3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days. 
        4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation. 
        5. marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition. 

–noun 6. that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils. 
        7. the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
        8. the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good. 
        9. harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil. 
        10. anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil. 
        11. a harmful aspect, effect, or consequence: the evils of alcohol. 
        12. a disease, as king's evil.

–adverb 13. in an evil manner; badly; ill: It went evil with him. 

—Idiom14. the evil one, the devil; Satan.

My interpretation is Evil is simply to damage... even if it is damage to something worthless...

4. marinealways24 profile image58
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As psychologically poor as the bible is written, I don't think that much thought was put into "an eye for an eye". I think it was simply another law in attempts to find an equal punishment to criminals.

We still use eye for an eye punishment in our justice system along with others. The death sentence is an eye for an eye.

5. thevoice profile image60
      thevoiceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

an eye for and eye never works its my street past its so true human writings of bible are not God Jesus the holy spirit in truth birth freedom. Read of holy stigmata is breath of human life with Jesus

6. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  In one of my recent hubs on Israel I've illustrated how God actually uses the Adversary's evil designs to bring about a greater good.  The Adversary dwells on the satisfaction of the "here and now" and does not have the eternal perspective capability that God has.  This is actually good for the great plan for the human species.  The bondage of the tribes of Israel was allowed to take place to justify and enable their eventual exodus.  There are many other examples as well.

As far as "eye for an eye".  Much of the laws in Biblical text are based on the Law of Moses.  What is not well known is that the Law of Moses was fulfilled with the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  After that the replacement for the Law of Moses was the new covenant established by the Savior.  Many in the forums have repeatedly said that they are not saved by works.  This is a misunderstanding of scripture.  That passage refers to the works within the Law of Moses and is not a part of the new covenant.  He was saying that we are not saved by the acts of the rituals under the Law of Moses.  In other words He was teaching us that we can qualify for salvation upon our works under free agency unto our fellow man and not through blind works under the Law of Moses.  Eye for an eye was correct but is under a law that has been fulfilled.

In fact the purpose of the Law of Moses was TO BE fulfilled and not to endure beyond the Savior's personal ministry.  He fulfilled that and thus the new law and covenant was instituted.

I believe that all things are meant to be 'fulfilled' with the exception of God...

"For every new begining, is an old beginings end."

2. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Love your new pic and each eye, big_smile

Thanks (blushing)

3. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

You lost me at

"Being evil to evil is good, but it is also evil. Being brilliantly good saints at doing evil to evil is a greater evil to evil, but it also a greater good."

Please, never do that again.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not often I agree with the Texan. big_smile

Seriously - you want to justify your ridiculous beliefs. Do it in your head. wink

Thanks for playing...

Not really wanting anyone's thoughts then?

That is right - you have all the answers.

Makes me wonder why you bother asking for people's thoughts. Oh yeah - the fight.

Good for you. Jesus would be prowd. lol

Ah - I see. I don't blame you. My thoughts make sense and you wouldn't want  that to interfere with the fight, ill will and conflict you want to happen.

I will leave you to your fight then. Jesus would be proud. wink

Very, very well done. Excellent fight. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thanks

Oh - my pleasure. Anyone that drives away people from the idea of a god is alright in my book. Especially when they think they are doing the opposite. lol lol

Well done.

Just remember - IF YOU CANNOT DISPROVE IT IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!!!

lol lol

you got the quote wrong again   it is if you cannot disprove it... it Could be true...

Kids, buy 'em books and buy 'em books...what do they do? Chew on the covers and use the pages for toilet paper...geez

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

@ A Texan
    Lol...

Is that a way of asking me to clarify? Or are you just being funny?

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about me, carry on.

Ok

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

The only facts of this thread are that Good and Evil exists.
    They're human conditions.
    Now ,believing in Satan or God ,that's something unreal, that you can choose to believe in. No proof of them.

Then by your logic if you can't prove it, it isn't true?

Can you prove God is unreal? How about Satan? Got proof?

Got proof on the contrary ?

Is that a no? You don't have any proof.

In my belief system, I believe that there are things that exist even though we cannot yet prove they exist. For me however the proof that God exists is written in my hub 'why Mikel believes in God'...  If your interested, and again more proof is shown in my hub 'Feelings as Proof'

well, there are different belief systems. In mine I only believe in myself.
            Anyway Good and Evil are human conditions. nothing to do with Religion. Even if religion wouldn't exist anymore, Good and Evil will remain.

Well Stated.

I'm glad you agree cool
                You do, right ? hmm

big_smile

Saying you stated your point well, doesn't mean that I necessarily agree, with your well stated statement.

sad sad sad

lol

there's no remedy for you !
                    I give up!
                    lol

6. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Evil to me is based on intent.

Someone may be trying to do good in their heart and it ends up doing more damage than aid.

Doing good can also be termed:
      Hurting evil...or damaging evil...

therefore doing good is doing evil(harming evil), but it is ONLY harmful to evil. Since harming evil (stopping evil) is a good thing...

doing good is the harming of evil, or as I stated earlier, the doing of evil to evil.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hypothetical:

I find termites in my house.  I hire an exterminator to commit genocide on the termites with Weapons of Mass Destruction(poison)

Who is evil me or the termites?

Both

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
            Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How could the termites be evil they are trying to provide for their family?

But in the process they're harming you

2. marinealways24 profile image58

The wood for drawing the termites!

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

I'm not trying to define what is evil and what isn't...
          I'm merely stating that doing evil to evil(whatever acts or entities that may be) is an act of evil, but it is also,at the same time an act of good, because it only hurts evil...
          Which I'm calling 'God's Paradox' ...

7. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

Does chopping off fingers prevent theft? Is it good to do so? Is it right to put to death a sociopath to prevent further murders?

The "godsense" is within oneself, to what point can you justify these actions and feel good and right for your actions?

But in my mind 'chopping of fingers' is evil...it is not an example of doing only good ...

the sociopath I would deem as an evil being, therefore doing the evil (execution) would be doing evil to evil, which is a good thing.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doing evil to evil isn't a good thing. Finding out what cause them to do what they did and how to fix it? is the answer to explore. Not killing them.

Taking a life isn't warranted, regardless. It's morally wrong, as is what they did to deserve you taking their life.

No Human has the right to take another's life. It's morally wrong and NOT good in anyway. Attacking the problem that cause them to kill someone is better addressed, so as to prevent it from happening again.

Killing them isn't an answer to their action.

1. marinealways24 profile image58

I highly agree. I also think it teaches children that killing is an alright punishment when they see their government legally kill. When a person is killed, nothing is learned from them. If they are alive, things could be learned to prevent similar cases in the future. Agreed.

It tells you that a moral standard would need to be established, better than the morality of society presently. Correct? smile

Yes! But one that can only be believed by faith. I think logic is that government makes far too many profits off of wars and killing.

Now, you're not making sense. A person can be taught a moral standard. Morality isn't natural.

Morality is taught by parents to children.

Regardless of what government wants, it can be set, simply by teaching it to others. smile

Will governments ever sacrifice power and money for morals? This is what I mean. I don't think it is logical to believe.

Not all children have parents to teach them morals and the ones that do sometimes have parents that teach them negative morals. I don't think there is a book of morals anywhere that is witten as absolute. Even if they were, how many would believe and act on them as absolute?

It is hard to teach to others when there is much confusion surrounding it. Sometimes killing is neccessary to prevent future killing at the same time saying the death penalty is wrong.

2. moanalisa profile image61
          moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So if someone is intent on taking the life of my daughter, I am supposed to chat with them, psychoanalize their intentions and try to talk it out of them before I even try to defend my daughter? Life is harsh and sometimes it comes to having to choose between the lesser of evils.

again your discussing 'What is evil?' and 'which is the worse evil'

that isn't what the forum is about...

2. Cagsil profile image69

Now, you're taking things to an extreme. If your own life is in jeopardy, it is instinctive to defend oneself. Killing itself, is morally wrong in a civilized society. But, instinctive life threatening defense is exactly that. It's not seen as a direct kill. You have to kill in that instance, survival accounts more than the kill.

There is no lessor of evils. Evil is evil and it can be seen by it's actions.

WHATEVER

Nice comeback. You wit astounds me. roll

2. moanalisa profile image61
              moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I see, there are exceptions when it becomes self-serving?

Oneself survival? Self-serving? No. Instinctive. There is a difference. smile

8. moanalisa profile image61

The fact you even present arguments within arguments, Mikel, you are doing precisely that. Kudos for you for stealthing your own thread and yet by good intentions, derail your efforts.

I dont understand what your saying here.

i don't either.
        Sounds very academic!
        lol

9. tantrum profile image60

god's paradox is, how an all knowing omnipotent God  can come up with such a foul creation.

This is where they say "free will".

Bible definition of free will: God wants you to be free, but wants you to worship him. big_smile

lol lol

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

that goes back to the necessity of having opposites, which you used to argue your point earlier...

For Good to exist, Evil must also exist...

as written in my hubs 'Being Unique, the thing that makes us ALL the same.' and 'The Balance of Good and Evil' and 'Knowing Mikel G Roberts...A Piece in God's Puzzle' and 'My Brain... my mental navigator' and so on and so on...

The entire human race could be good. It would only mean that EVIL exists somewhere else. smile

No that is the point, evil would exist right here...

goodness is the doing of evil to evil. That is in itself an evil act(the doing of good) to evil.

that is 'God's Paradox'

Goodness is NOT the doing evil to evil. As I stated. smile

Thanks for playing.

And, now you're telling me I'm wrong and you're right, by saying "Thanks for playing".

Nice try to backstop what I have said. And, if you disagree, with what I said, then your actions throughout your entire life, will be selfish and for yourself only.

So, either way. You have a been told. smile

2. tantrum profile image60

that's called IDEALISM

A very wrong creation !You just have to look around.

And about knowing Mikel G. Roberts.... hmm
        thinking about it !
        lol

10. aware profile image66
    awareposted 14 years ago

the end of the eye for a eye thing is' leaves everyone blind'

wink smile

So you're aware !!!
      big_smile

11. tantrum profile image60

lol

12. Alessia Amnesia profile image61
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Okay... ignoring all of the previous comments trying to justify the original post, I'm not comprehending the original post.

ok   what part is the most confusing?...

You know what a paradox is right?

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image61
        Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I know what a paradox is. The entire thing is confusing. You don't offer any reasons why you think what you think, thus making it very hard to comprehend what you are actually trying to say.

Give me some examples and maybe I'll understand better what you're trying to say.

13. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

roll

turn the lights out when your done...

14. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

@ Alessia
    Ok proof is the logic of the paradox...which by the nature of a paradox is confusing and self refuting...

All the hubs I listed in earlier text(on this thread) are where the proof and the rationalizing of the OP took place and reading those might help.
    There is no one or two word explanation though, it is a complex paradox and difficult to understand at best.

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image61
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess the topic itself doesn't interest me enough to read the hubs you listed. Perhaps I am just too simple-minded.

15. tantrum profile image60

I think now it's time to go and see who Mikel G. Roberts is.

I'm going to your hubs, mate !
    Beware ! lol

(grinning) I'm shaking with fear...  wink

You should ! I just comment in 2 of them
        lol

16. moanalisa profile image61

Good luck to you with your book.

Wrong thread I think...

lol

17. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

wink

18. marcel285 profile image63
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

For every terrific, there is a terrible, in every terrible there is a terrific. There has to be balance, there is balance in absolutely everything. That is the human race, there can be no more evil than good, or no more good than evil, else we would evolve to something other than human. Which is possible, but highly unlikely.

Nicely Stated, you have read my hub 'Humanity the Middle Ground' I take it...

19. marcel285 profile image63
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

No i hadn't read it, but i have now. Sounds like we agree. smile

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)