Visiting Japan

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (214 posts)
  1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

I am in Tokyo since last 6 days. It is my first visit to Japan. Japanese are very different from other people of the world.
    They are very calm and quiet, shy but sincere.Very conservative yet modern. Modest but strong.

1. Bredavies profile image61
      Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice. I stayed for about 3. It is so amazing and it seems much more peaceful then the US

JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course. Japanese are perhaps the most peaceful people in the world. Cities are calm and quiet.
        Jyoti Kothari

2. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is somewhere that I want to go.

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you do, I'd recommend visiting Kyoto and other places outside of Tokyo. The big city is very big and can easily absorb all your time (and money) and there is so much more to experience.

Just IMO.

2. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

How about the Food there? Is it very tasty

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

I am strictly vegiterian and it is very difficult in Japan to have this.I am dependent on my relatives and friends for home made Indian veg food.
    I have no idea of Japanese food.

1. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's good smile

2. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really is it so difficult for vegetarians to survive in Japan. Can't they substitute meat with Tofu or something like they do in Thai restaurants here in US?

4. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Sayonara !!!

5. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Thanks for sharing smile

6. patnamohan profile image56
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

I don`t like to go... i am happy here in india...lol

7. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Did you go anywhere besides Tokyo?

I had visited Osaka, Herosema, Kyoto, Kobe and Kofu besides Tokyo. These are nice places. Japan Rail is very friendly and cheap to foreigners.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

1. Mac Mission profile image59
        Mac Missionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for sharing with us. I love to visit japan........

Japanese have preserved the terrifying memory of nuclear attack by US in 1945. Museum in Hiroshima. Once you visit Hiroshima you can understand how horrible the attack and its affect was!
          Thanks,
          Jyoti Kothari

8. tksensei profile image60

How long did you visit, Jyoti?

I had been there for 20 days in total. Almost 10 days in Tokyo and rest of the days in traveling.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

9. tksensei profile image60

There are plenty of vegitarians in Japan (of course) but for tourists moving around a lot and eating in restaurants where they may not be able to navigate menus and such easily, it could be a bit of an effort. Another reason not to be a vegitarian if you ask me.

1. countrywomen profile image60

I tasted meat first time when I was almost 18. So far 4 times I have taken meat and every time I feel so guilty and sometimes even have nightmares. When we are born into a certain family then it is difficult to overcome that upbringing. Being vegetarian really isn't a "choice" at least for someone like me. smile

No law says you have to eat meat, but it can make travel more difficult and present some hazards if you visit someone's home in another country.

1. countrywomen profile image60

If I was so conscious of any such "law" I wouldn't have even tried. I don't know how else to explain to you that it is not even my "choice" to be a vegetarian. I am not for any such laws.  Maybe you would have understood my position if you were born into similar family as mine. smile

I am a vegetarian and feel very good with it. It is by chance and by choice both.
            Thanks,
            Jyoti Kothari

That's up to you, and that's fine.

2. tksensei profile image60

Did you really think I was suggesting there actually was a law? (?!)

And, of course, being a vegetarian IS a choice.

10. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

What have you seen in Tokyo so far?

11. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I have never been out of the US.

1. alekhouse profile image72
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are missing a lot. I've learned so much from traveling and observing other cultures. I would love to go to Japan. I've never been to the Orient.

And people can circle the globe a hundred times and miss a lot too.

I don't suppose anyone lives long enough to learn all there is right under their nose.

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

And also you like visit Jaipur in Golden triangle of Indian tourist map or Kolkata where Parasnath glass temple is situated.

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

12. tksensei profile image60

That's cool too.

13. tksensei profile image60

Think you'll ever get back there again?

I have not get a chance to go there again. Moreover, the country is very expensive. I will love to go there again.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

14. tksensei profile image60

Now would be a  tough time to visit, as traffic and such is pretty busy during Obon.

http://gojapan.about.com/cs/japanesefes … stival.htm

15. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I visited Japan a long time ago — back in 1985, actually — but loved it. We've been trying to plan a trip to Tokyo for the upcoming year; can you recommend any places?

16. tksensei profile image60

My advice is skip Tokyo. There is so much more.

1. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard this advice many times. People say to spend maybe one or two days in Tokyo and then spend the rest of the time visiting all the other sites in Japan.

I would love to visit Japan one day - it's definitely on my "list"!

Good to hear you're having a nice time Jyoti.

People who do not like to stay in Tokyo may stay in Kofu or Kobe. Both are nice places to live in.

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

17. PerfumeFan profile image61
    PerfumeFanposted 14 years ago

I heard that the cost of living in Japan is so expensive especially in the city e.g. Tokyo.

18. tksensei profile image60

You certainly can spend a bucket-load of money in Tokyo, but you can also live there frugally if you try and know how. Most gaijin in Tokyo are only there for a short time and spend their money foolishly.

Can you guide how to spend less in Tokyo?
      Jyoti Kothari

It's not complicated. Find the cheaper markets in whatever neighborhood you are in, cook for yourself instead of eating out all the time, don't dump a fortune on 'tourist' stuff. Just common sense stuff.

Thanks for your reply. How to find a cheaper market?
          Jyoti Kothari

You need to know someone who lives in a particular neighborhood.

19. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I have visited Japan more than a dozen times, and lived there twice for short periods (6 months or so). If you visit, you must see Kyoto, Mount Fuji, Kamakura . . but there is so much to see and do. Japan is SOOO different. The food is fantastic. You can get everything!
    Its culture is unique and very sophisticated. the first time I went, I used 20 rolls of film (remember when camerss used film?) that was in 1993.
    The country has changed since, there is more English now, but Japan remains a fascinating country. I recommend everyone to visit, but not to live there. That is another story.

What's the "other story"?

1. sannyasinman profile image60
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The "other story" is what the Japanese culture and society is really like. It takes time to get "underneath the covers" as it were. It took me 12 years of marriage to a Japanese lady before I began to really understand the psyche. Also, I don't believe that any foreigner is ever truly accepted into the Japanese culture. Tolerated, and patronised certainly, but unless you are "pure Japanese" it is difficult.
        To illustrate the point, there was a famous Sumo wrestler who had won all of the major competitions and therefore had the right to be known as "yokosuma". But because he was Hawaian and not Japanese the authorities denied him the honour as long as they could, until eventually they were forced to acknowledge him.
        There are many other disturbing aspects of Japanes eculture . . .but I digress . .

It's "Yokozuna" and Konishiki never made that rank. However, he blazed the trail and Akebono followed, and behind him Musashimaru. Sumo being the most traditional area of Japanese sport there was naturally some resistance. Today, both of the current Yokozuna are foreigners and more and more are making a mark in the top ranks of the sport.

Keep everything in context.

Foreigners don't find it easy to feel accepted in America by Americans either.

I have often heard the term "pure japanese" used in Japan. I have never heard its equivalent in the USA. When my son was young, he used to walk behind me in the street so that people would not think that he was with me. He was ashamed that he was not "pure". What does that smack of to you?

Frankly, if your son was afraid to walk with you then that is an issue with your family and outside the scope of this thread. More to the point, Japan is essentially a homogeneous nation and the US is not. Comparisons that do not take that into account are inevitably in error.

Actually, this had nothing to do with family. His change of behaviour was a direct consequence of him living in Japan. Being "pure Japanese" is highly valued in Japan. My son is not pure Japanese and so was made to suffer for it by his peers. That smacks of racism to me. Or do you have another term for it? 

There are other examples of bias against foreigners in Japan, which are also consistent with Japanese convictions of their  superiority. 

And by the way, everyone in the USA is a foreigner, except the native American Indians. It is probably the biggest melting pot on earth. The fact that you have difficulty feeling accepted there says more about you than it does about the USA.

It obviously did since you were describing a behavior in your family. It is also a behavior not universal to all families and therefore is an issue with your family. Which is fine, but outside the scope of this thread.

It demonstrated the Japanese conviction that they are a superior race; one which you confirm with your own comments here.

It's not "highly valued," it is highly expected. I told you before that you have to take into consideration that Japan is a largely homogeneous country. In even more homogeneous nations what you describe is even more pronounced. You are misunderstanding an issue of demographics. Add to this the tendency of school children to find any reason to tease and often bully and you have a situation that can be challenging, and made even moreso by misunderstanding.

Nowadays, 'half' are highly valued as models, entertainers, etc.

Still never heard the term "pure American". Even the laws in Japan are biased against non japanese. Don't ask me to "name one" as I am sure you will, with your nit-picking taunts. Do the research yourself there are many examples on the Internet.

3. tksensei profile image60

You can find examples of bias against foreigners in every country.

Your habit of dissecting replies and only repeating part of sentences which you can attack, but conveniently ignoring the rest is a tactic used by the gutter press.
                    I repeat the part which you choose to ignore: The Japanese talk of being "pure japanese". I never heard anyone say "pure English", "pure American", "Pure French".

2. sannyasinman profile image60

Read up on foreigners living in Japan on the Internet. It will open your eyes.

4. tksensei profile image60

That is incorrect, but not the topic at hand.

You told you I ever had difficulty feeling accepted in the United States?

You did.

20. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I am jealous! I'm going in the next year or so, but it's torture. I want to escape now. Mmm.

21. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

I was at Nagoya Airport, Japan. 2 years ago. Amazingly neat. Too techno-oriented. And i love the fashion statement of the women! .. but i didnt like the payphone. I could not make it to work. It was talking Japanese to me. Hello,... mikimoto?

22. tksensei profile image60

Did you make it out of the airport, or were you just passing through?

23. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

Just passing through, on my way to US. Fancy airport-hopping.

24. tksensei profile image60

I hear ya.

25. jackiewilliam profile image61
    jackiewilliamposted 14 years ago

I wish I could get a chance to travel to japan

You should, you'd like it.

Then again, you may not. It's always best to keep an open mind, and decide for yourself, don't you think?

26. sannyasinman profile image60

Your reply: "It is also a behavior not universal to all families and therefore is an issue with your family".

You have just proved my point about the Japanese psyche. Now we can move on to something else.

?????????????

How so?

Work it out for yourself.

Or maybe you could do me the courtesy of answering my question?

Nope, still don't see what you're getting at.

I didn't really expect you to.

Maybe you could explain it better. I'll even help you with some pertinent information:

Not all children of mixed parentage in Japan are ashamed to walk with one of their parents. I know many such families and not one of them accords with the unfortunate family dynamic you described. Thus we see that your situation was in no way universal to all such families, as I said. Then for some reason you decided that this observation was proof of some sort of sinister "mind set" which you, in fine racist fashion, attributed to an entire group of people. Since then you've been failing to adequately explain yourself.

Do you realise what you are saying? For you, my experience is not valid because it is not "universally experienced by all families". The arrogance! You are making my point all over again.

27. sannyasinman profile image60

Your quote: "Add to this the tendency of school children to find any reason to tease and often bully"

The only reason that they found in Japan was that he was not "pure Japanese". He had no problems in other countries, where race is not an issue.

And the many Japanese students who are teased and bullied? And the many American students who are teased and bullied? Are you under the illusion that your situation represents any universal truths you decide it does?

And what planets did you visit that had countries where "race is not an issue"? It is an issue everywhere on this planet, unfortunately.

Racism is not an issue everywhere. But if that is what you see, then that is your reality, and the more you focus on it, the more you give energy to it, the more it increases. so you are helping it to grow.
        It will never go away whilst there are people who cannot accept any criticism whatsoever of their country or race, without fighting to their last breath to be proved right. Know anyone like that?

Of course it is. It is a human weakness that is not particular to any race, region, or nationality. Accepting that reality is essential to mitigating its effect on society.

You've done it again. Taken one sentence to destroy and ignored all else.
            For your benefit, and anyone else who is reading, this is what I actually said.

Racism is not an issue everywhere. But if that is what you see, then that is your reality, and the more you focus on it, the more you give energy to it, the more it increases. so you are helping it to grow.
            It will never go away whilst there are people who cannot accept any criticism whatsoever of their country or race, without fighting to their last breath to be proved right. Know anyone like that?

Responded to the words you chose to post? Yes, I've done it again.

And again, racism is in fact an 'issue' everywhere, not just where you choose to see it and not where you don't.

What you focus on increases in intensity. The more you talk about and see racism, the more it grows in importance in your reality.
                So expect to find racism wherever you go, and guess what? That's precisely what you will find.

Which is exactly the error you seem to have made. Only you see it where you want and then ignore it where you don't.

You're the one who sees racism everywhere, thats your vision.

As is your tactic you have selected part of a sentence to respond to, so I will repeat what I actually said:

As for reality, we create our own reality - scientists are now proving this (again, don't take my word for it, look it up on the Internet for yourself). Do you see how I leave space for you to have your own experience? . .now there is a famous quotation about that  . .perhaps you have seen it (and chosen to ignore it).   

If you think that there is racism everywhere, then you will experience that in your reality.
                I don't.

Let's try this:

Is racism a human trait or not?

Define human trait.

LOL! Scientists are 'proving' this, eh?

LOL

Again, here is what I actually said . .
                    As for reality, we create our own reality - scientists are now proving this (again, don't take my word for it, look it up on the Internet for yourself). Do you see how I leave space for you to have your own experience? . .now there is a famous quotation about that  . .perhaps you have seen it (and chosen to ignore it).   
                    If you think that there is racism everywhere, then you will experience that in your reality.
                    I don't.

and in reply . . there you go again, pouring scorn on something you know nothing about. Look it up before you comment again.

It will never go away, period. And I'm not sure I personally know anyone like that, though I don't doubt there are such people.

You've done it again. Taken one sentence to destroy and ignored all else.
            For your benefit, and anyone else who is reading, this is what I actually said.

28. sannyasinman profile image60

To tksensei.
    Some words of wisdom for you . .

"Share with the people of the world if you wish, but share with them not what you think their experience should be, but what you know your experience has been.
    Teach others if they ask, but teach them not that you have their answers, but that they have their own."

No thank you.

To tksensei.
        Some words of wisdom for you . .

"Share with the people of the world if you wish, but share with them not what you think their experience should be, but what you know your experience has been.
        Teach others if they ask, but teach them not that you have their answers, but that they have their own."

It's OK to read these words, they are not mine. If I told you they were from Tempu Nakamura, would you read them then?
        They are important for you as they are about allowing other people the space to have their own experience even if it differs from yours. 

I'll pass, thanks.

Even if they were by Tempu Nakamura ?(look him up quick on the Internet, then you can pretend that you know who he is, and preserve you self proclaimed status as the expert in all things Japanese on Hubpages. .

No, not even.

He is Japanese you know  - or maybe you don't . .

Wow, what shocking news. That changes everything...  roll

So you're not such the expert on Japan and all things Japanese after all.

To be self proclaimed, I would have to had made such a claim. Could you show me where I ever did so?

29. Maira818 profile image71
    Maira818posted 14 years ago

i do not like sushi, and maybe i would have problem with the language (eg reading billboards, products, watching tv. etc.), because i no speak japanese, yet i would still like to visit japan one day.

There is still not much English to be seen in Japan (billboards etc), and of course no other language. However, the transport systems in major towns now have announcements in English, and more people speak English, so in the major towns and tourist sites you will be OK.
      Pity you dont like sushi. Mmmmm.
      However you  can find just about anything you want to eat, again in towns and tourist areas.
      Hope this helps.

1. Maira818 profile image71
        Maira818posted 14 years agoin reply to this

im sure the japanese has variaty of foods though.
        sure has helped !!
        thank you sannyasinman

For a non-English speaking nation there is a lot of English around. It is not too daunting for a non-Japanese speaker to get around and see the country. Many restaurants have menus in English (and many have models of the food that make it easy to order anyway) and a fair amount of programming on TV can be accessed in translation or directly from English sources via satellite. And when in doubt, it is usually not too hard to find someone with enough English to help you out and be willing to do so.

You'd be ok, and there is lots and lots more than sushi to eat!

30. sannyasinman profile image60

tksensei
    Can you not resist replying to EVERY post about Japan? Is it a compulsion with you? Do you see yourself as the authority on all things japanese.

Which ones can I reply to boss?

31. mikesyndell profile image60
    mikesyndellposted 14 years ago

I love to go to Japan and study music. If only I would be given the chance to study in Japan (be it scholarship or alike), then it would be heaven. I hope there is opportunities just as this.

Lots of people do. Don't give up hope!

1. mikesyndell profile image60
        mikesyndellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure? Do you think, I too can go to Japan?

Why not? I don't know your skills or situation but you've got as much chance as anyone to make the most of your goals.

1. mikesyndell profile image60
            mikesyndellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks tksensei! If ever my dreams would come true, I owe you one buddy. If I can study music in Japan, I'll dedicate one of my compositions for you. Thanks!

That would be quite an honor!

Hi Mike and Sensei,
                It will be nice if I see that composition. Please do not forget to send me a copy of that.
                Thanks,
                Jyoti Kothari

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

Why not? You can go to japan and meet lovely people.

Thanks,
          Jyoti Kothari

32. profile image49
    SamiTheFinnishBoyposted 14 years ago

HEY HEY! Can someone please tell me some very very helpful tips because i want to go to Tokyo and live there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)