Ireland - have you been here - will you come here?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (48 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Ireland is a nice place to have a summer holiday - have you been here - will you come here?

1. Anolinde profile image82
      Anolindeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never been, but would love to go one day!  I DID plan to visit Dublin when I was in the UK doing my Master's, but for some reasons, my friends and I decided to go to Edinburgh instead.  Doh!  One of these days, though, for sure ... smile

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to go there hit the pubs and do some fly fishing! The company I work for used to have a plant in Cork.

3. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Drinking Guinness put me off awhile back as a kid, but I do hope to visit later in life.

4. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What I am DYING to do is come to Ireland for a Haunted Castle OR Irish Pub horse back riding vacation.  Unfortunately, they are about $4k (USD) for one week.  But THAT is my dream.  I have heard that Ireland is absolutely gorgeous.  My neice went there with her best friend's family (as they are Irish and have relatives there) and her pics are phenominal.  So, the short answer is YES.  But I'd love to see the country on horseback.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never been;  but it sounds lovely!
      Doubt I ever will.   I don't travel well at all; major motion-sickness;  so I usually go no further than the next town.

hmm...maybe that's one reason I get stuck online so much.....that way I can "travel" while not really traveling.

I know you're disappointed, irish!  wink... wink

Hey, for what it's worth, if anything, I'm liking your newer thread topics lately better than the previous ones...

6. Mamelody profile image59
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was in Dublin Three months ago.. my third time there...absolutely love it.. you guys are so funny and I just love your accents..

7. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No and probably no. If I'm going to go to Europe I'd much rather see the land of my ancestors - Germany. Though if I get to go to Europe multiple times I want to go to Ireland.

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I've never been. And I don't really know why, I always meant to visit. I've had lots of Irish friends over the years and lived in an area that's always had a huge Irish community.

Something I should rectify. I've set off once or twice and ended up in Wales. Next time I'll keep going smile

3. theirishobserver. profile image61

This could be the year to do it loads of good bargains in hotel and travel smile

4. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I had a weekend break in Belfast a couple of years ago which I enjoyed, but I'd really love to see more of the place - especially the countryside smile

5. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have never been but would love to. smile

6. theirishobserver. profile image61

Suasana - Belfast is great - but the west if Ireland is something else - wonderful land and sea scapes - great pubs and food - great people smile

1. HWP profile image60
      HWPposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh the West Coast of Ireland is the most stunning place EVER!!  I moved here a year ago and am head over heels in love with the place. It really does have the most stunning sea and landscapes and is full of hidden gems. Seriously, it should be at the top of every list of places to go :-D

7. theirishobserver. profile image61

earnest - let me know when you are coming over smile

8. theirishobserver. profile image61

Edinburgh is a wonderful place - good choice - maybe Ireland soon - we look forward to your visit smile

9. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

My dad is Irish and I went a couple of times as a kid, but I haven't been back since and I'd love to go again to check out some of the famous Irish pubs!

10. theirishobserver. profile image61

kephrira - the pubs and scenery are wonderful - hope you come back - what part of Ireland is your dad from smile

1. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if this is the right spelling, but he grew up near a place called Fermoy in County Cork. He left when he was 18 though (over 50 years ago) cos my grandfather was in the police prior to the war, and the family had a lot of trouble from the IRA. We never visited the place he was from on our holidays because of this, so I don't know anything about the place.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Small world, kephrira - I worked on a fish-farm just outside Fermoy for a year. Beautiful place, wonderful people, and the Murphy's is liquid silk big_smile

wow, small world indeed. I got the spelling right then smile

Bang on, although I can;t remember the Gaelic spelling. It was over 10 years ago, so things have probably changed since then. After Fermoy, I moved to County Carlow for a year - just as nice.

If you do go over, try to find the time to watch a game of Hurling - a great sport smile

I would do that if I went. My dad played hurling for the County Cork under 18 team and he bought me the sticks and schlitter (now that one must be the wrong spelling) and taught me how to play a bit. I wonder if it's still as dangerous as it used to be. He had lots of stories about people getting their head cracked open or their hands broken from a whack with one of the sticks.

He must have been a very good player - Cork are the powerhouse of hurling. I played a little, but it is not the sort of sport you can pick up easily. It is fast and furious - I think that helmets are compulsory, now, but most of my friends had no teeth and crooked noses.

Gaelic Football, on the other hand - I'm 6' 4", so they shoved me straight into the Full Forward position. Happy Days smile

Anyway, nice chatting, but it is time for my afternoon snooze. Siestas are a great invention big_smile

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile The pubs are wonderful, although the husband and I did start to wonder exactly how many "oldest pubs in Ireland" there are.  I'm sure we visited at least 5 or 6. lol

11. theirishobserver. profile image61

Poppas Blues - the fly fishing is great people come from all over the world for the trout and salmon fishing season - the pubs are great fun but just part of the hopitality smile see you there smile

I'm not into fishing myself, but it sounds lovely.

12. theirishobserver. profile image61

kephrera - your fathers story is not unusual for that period - some bad things happened - but all is well in Cork these days and we woudl love to have you back - Sudidreamer can fill you in on the local activities - I have been in Cork several times and love it smile

13. theirishobserver. profile image61

waynet - you just mossy on back here - their is plenty to enjoy smile

14. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I love Ireland, I have been to Dublin twice and hada  fantastic time on both occasions.

I know a few people from Cork as well, and they all have a crazy party side which seems extreme even for the Irish, so I want to visit that area at some point in my life as well!

I have to admit though Edinburgh takes a fair amount of beating, York is still my favorite city around the UK/Ireland though!

15. premierkj profile image69
    premierkjposted 14 years ago

I don't understand the agenda of getting people to visit Ireland especially since we just rip off any tourists who are nice enough to come. I recommend waiting a few years if you want to visit because the country will be on its knees (even more so) and everything will be a lot cheaper.

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heh thats the truth, Ireland is EXPENSIVE!

2. kephrira profile image60

lol I thought the Celtic Tiger was on it's knees already. The trouble is so are the rest of us so however much cheaper Ireland gets, most of the rest of us will be that much poorer too so it won't be any help.

3. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummm...hmmmm....I wonder if you couldn't say this about ANY country.  I've been to a few outside of the U.S. and EVERY place I've been has gouged the tourists.  Guess what?  It happens here in the US as well....~GASPS from the crowd~  That's right folks, we too, rip off our OWN tourists....

4. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Irish tourist board are spending a huge amount of money to keep toursits coming to the country, there is evena rumour going around that they are paying internet writers to talk about how good Ireland is in online forums tongue 0=-)

5. Mamelody profile image59
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well it's cheaper than London I can tell you that!

6. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's funny...I felt that everything was rather affordable when I went and that everyone was quite nice. Then again, this was about 10 years ago...perhaps things have changed.

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

Small world... I had the same thought, but I was there 10 years ago as well.  Do you remember the time of year, or specific year you were there?  I've been running into more and more odd coincidences lately.  (We were there in September of 2000.  It was our honeymoon, so its easy for me to remember the dates.)

7. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Ireland is beautiful, and will always be.

16. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

I have been to Ireland and it was the best vacation of my life.  The US dollar was stronger then, so it was more than affordable, and I fell in love with the place and the people.  My husband and I took the trip for our honeymoon almost 10 years ago, and we tossed around the idea of attempting to get work visas and never coming home! smile

17. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I understand that Guinness can be found if you look hard enough?

18. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I have been there, wish I would have had more time to explore. I was in Dublin for two days....Did a mini pub crawl..lol

Love the Guinness..doesn't taste the same here sad

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

So true.  Never liked Guinness until I had it in Ireland.  Now, I'll settle for it here, but its not the same.

19. theirishobserver. profile image61

Stormy - let me klnow the next time you are coming to Ireland smile

20. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I have never been there but my husband and I want to travel there for a real Honeymoon one of these days...hopefully next year

21. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Oh yes, I've been there. To the Aran Islands, to Dublin...Bunratty...To the place where the round fort is falling off the cliff into the sea (perhaps at Seven Churches?).

It's the most beautiful, magical place in the world. I hope to retire there one day.

Ireland is the home of my heart.

22. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I went on a day trip to Dublin from Fishguard some years ago. That was fun. Had fantastic fish and chips at Beschoff's, visited the Guiness Brewery and just wandered round. We did look into going back, but the hotels and guesthouses are terribly expensive, so that for the price of 2 days in Dublin we could get 3 or 4 days in Barcelona or Florence, for example.

Another time, I had a business meeting in a very posh hotel just outside Cork. That was fantastic. The food was excellent and they made their own superb soda bread. I had time off in Cork and enjoyed going to the folk sessions in the pubs. I'd like to go back to Cork and then work my way westwards, trying to find all the little places where folk sessions are spontaneous and not geared to tourists.

23. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

My mother was Irish and I've always wanted to visit Ireland

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)