Radio Performance Act Tax - WTF?!?!?!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (61 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Okay, I was just listening to the radio like always when I hear an announcement. Congress is trying to tax us for every song they play on the radio. The worst part is that the tax money will be going to record companies and will not be benefiting the U.S. at all!

Is this just in Iowa or is it going on all over? I thought we declared our independence from Britain to escape stupid taxes like this. Are we going to have to declare our independence from Obama now too?

1. K Partin profile image59
      K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So does that mean the radio stations are paying the taxes? Or does that mean WE are paying the taxes? Ugh, so confusing...

2. Hokey profile image59
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its federal.

3. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol read K.'s link this government is seriously out of hand. I am just wondering who is gonna start shooting?

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
        Chaotic Chicaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I qualify sharpshooter!  It's not marksman but it's not bad either!

2. profile image0

Might gonna be me if I have to start paying taxes for listening to the radio sad lol

1. Ohma profile image61

big_smile git yer gun ma! I'll buy the bullets.

1. profile image0

lol

1. Ohma profile image61

Iffin we git done with them revenuers by supper I'll make a pie.

1. profile image0

Mm I love meh some pie. Let's git r done then!

1. Ohma profile image61

Jist you a member no shootin til you see the white of their eyes.

1. profile image0

Yes'm! big_smile

4. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't say us crazy conservatives did not try to warn you ! Ya gotta wake up !

5. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I remember first hearing about this over a year, maybe year and a half ago. The recording artists are wanting a cut in the revenue radio stations make from advertisements using royalties as a way to get this.

Easy resolution...
      Radio DJ's only play song by artists that waive the royalty fee.
      Without any airplay or TV promotion...the song is not heard and the recording artists loses a huge market to earn revenue from by the "free promotion."
      Charge the recording artist a "fee" to play their songs.
      Lastly...refuse to play their songs. There will be those who will take the free airplay.

6. politicsdaylee profile image60
      politicsdayleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

great we musicians get screwed again!

7. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is just another attempt at record companies trying to earn back some money after huge falls in profits, without realizing that maybe the time has come to adapt to the Internet world, rather than bitch and whine about it before making a thousand frivolous lawsuits.

(The British music association was sued a few years back for invading privacy after they monitored a home computer downloading an mp3 file over a peer to peer network.  The song turned out to be Mary had a Little Lamb, and the record company were deemed to have used illegal snooping methods. The fine for this was more than 10 times what they had gained through lawsuits.)

2. Chaotic Chica profile image61
    Chaotic Chicaposted 14 years ago

I heard about this, too! I don't know how they can justify this!!  It's absurd!

1. K Partin profile image59
      K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

crazy crazy!!

3. profile image0
    SwampDonkeyposted 14 years ago

Jump on my back! I will take you! Down with the revenuers!

1. Ohma profile image61

Swampdonkey your back looks a little sticky! big_smile

1. profile image0

That's what saddles are for. Let's take him up on it, we need transportation. Mah pickemup truck aint gurna get us all the way to wurshington lol

1. Ohma profile image61

well the we will hafta stop and git another gun!

1. profile image0

Can donkeys shoot though? I thought they had hooves, not fingers? lol

1. Ohma profile image61

well maybe we will just buy im some beans then and mayhap we wont be needin the firearms!

1. profile image0

ROFLMAO!

1. Ohma profile image61

Thankya Thankya I'll be here all week. big_smile

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

tax on soda pop next and sex tax will be on down the line with candy and doughnuts and more on cosmetics too. Last will be an air tax.

1. Ohma profile image61

My water company already charges me a gravity fee.

2. profile image0

Good thing I don't have sex, eat doughnuts, or use cosmetics from the store lol

Well... maybe not a good thing I don't have sex sad lol

3. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is what cap and trade is for. smile

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

And people think it's supposedly getting better?

What is actually improving in America? hmm

1. profile image0

Nothing seems to be getting any better sad

2. Ohma profile image61

The fact that You, me and Panni live here! oh yea Rawlus and Swamppy and on and on and on...............

1. profile image0

Almost enough for us to take over Congress altogether, huh? lol

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even if joking.....talking about a takeover of Congress is in and of itself a violation of Federal Law and could be construed or looked upon as treason.

Be careful. smile

1. profile image0

I am sure anyone with half a brain can tell I'm kidding... oh crap, Congress doesn't have half a brain even when they combine it all together!

Umm...

Oh, I'm proud to be an American
            Where at least I know I'm free

La la la, okay, hopefully Congress forgives me now and I don't get taken to federal prison for making a silly joke that wasn't even funny. big_smile

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I was only stating how it could be construed. I know it was a joke, but someone else might not. That's all. wink

1. profile image0

I know, just watching my back lol

7. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Okay I guess I should say too that I am a proud American and would never ever ever think about shootin them revenuers.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Why are you surpised - all of you?
    The rest of the world has been paying a fortune to the Performing Rights Society for years.
    Every radio station in Europe has to pay them a set fee in order to broadcast music, any music.
    Every town here in Spain has an office of the Performing Rights Society, with at least 3 staff members, all of whom no doubt get paid a small fortune.
    But it's not just every radio station, or TV station, its every bar that plays background music or has a television, or puts on karaoke.
    I had a bar that played background music,  had a TV that wasn't conncted to the outside world in any way - it couldn't even play local Spanish channels because it wasn't connected to an antenna. It was only there for karaoke. But the PRS made me pay them €140 per month which doesn't sound a lot but is when you are struggling.
    Eventually I dumped the karaoke as that accounted for the bulk of the fees I paid them, but six months later they took me to court because basically once you start paying for this option, the option is not there to opt out, even though I did.
    I still lost my case and had to pay them back money.
    I've always wanted to know much of this money the actual performer sees. To me, various governments have just used this as another tax to keep us all down.
    Next door to me was a bar that couldn't get a music licence because they didn't have double doors, nor double glazing nor sound-proofing and their total area was far too small to be a music bar, but they regularly put on music nights, played karaoke, disturbed the neighbours and the resulting noise complaints got directed at me because everyone knew I had a music licence, but by this time I had stopped playing music.
    Thank God I am out of all of that now. Bloody nightmare. Doesn't pay to try to stay within the law. And the Performing Rights Society is a joke. They only ever went after licensed premises like mine - not next doors - they got away with paying nothing.

9. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

WOW Izzy that is truly a nasty piece of work.

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

What? What I wrote?

1. Ohma profile image61

No the fact that it happens.

11. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I've been reading my dystopian novels again...they just seem so relevant right now. Things like Fahrenheit 451, The Handmaid's Tale, 1984...just getting thoughtful. Being shocked all over again how much like real life fiction has become. sad

Start a war to keep production high, but without improving standards of living...create misdirection, misinformation everywhere...allow (even encourage) the degradation of language and education so people's very thought processes are limited. Make sure everyone is simultaneously afraid of and dependent upon Big Br...I mean, the government....Orwell's starting to read like a checklist...or is just me?

(kinda wishing someone will tell me it's just me, and make me believe it. sad )

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Google 'bilderbergers'.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's one hell of a "social club," isn't it? Hmmm. This doesn't do anything to assuage my dystopian paranoia. LOL wink

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Surprise, its all true. not sure fiction was ever an appropriate word..

12. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Oh..Ok...it happens and it is now apparently happening in the US. Didn't the Performing Rights Society start in the US? How come Europe were paying for it before the US? That is really what I should have been asking.
    The idea behind it is good. All these guys that work hard to produce the music we listen to every day on the radio should be paid for their efforts, even if we don't buy the record.
    But now it just seems to be a scam. Who gets this money?

13. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

It's like we're going back in time. Instead of going forward, we're re-living all of America's past mistakes.

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hope and change at work !

14. Padrino profile image59
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

There is legislation being introduced by the Democrats that will require all restaurants to tell you how many calories are in each individual item on the menu.

This is why conservatives and libertarians hate government, we are no longer a free people in this Country, little by little big brother is taking control.

It all starts with controlling a nations health system, its history, wake up.

15. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

If you bother to read the act, it provides for entertainers to get paid royalties when some one uses their work publicly to make money. So if you record a song and the radio plays it to sell advetising and make piles of the stuff, they have to pay you.

It's not a 'tax' for the government or an infringement of anyones rights. If I was a radio station owner, I'd be against. If I was a creative person, I'd be for. But don't spin it as a tax.

More deceptive spin. What else is new.

1. profile image0

Then have the radio stations pay the taxes! I would rather just go buy a CD or borrow one from a friend than pay a tax for listening to a radio station.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The radio stations pay the fee, not you.  This article explains it pretty well.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jul/03 … -ct-radio3

1. profile image0

That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you! Everyone has made it seem like citizens had to pay the taxes.

1. profile image0

Yes, fear tactics based on lies are started by the monied interests, and some people (who often call themselves "free thinkers") swallow the lies and spread them around.

A very destructive pattern.

1. profile image0

Well, thank you for clearing it up. Every website I went to seemed to say that citizens had to pay the taxes. Everyone I asked said the same thing. That is such a relief, thank you so much!

1. profile image0

You're welcome.  smile

16. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Its amazing how easy it is to panic a flock of sheep. Especially when the sheep get their news from second rate radio stations that just love sheep stirring.

17. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Is that bad?  I thought that is what Americans wanted more taxes and more Government?

People keep electing Politicians to dream up these new taxes... so it must be what Americans want?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)