Greetings HuBling$

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Jerrico Usher profile image55
    Jerrico Usherposted 15 years ago

If you care to share with the class, I'm curious as to what each of you came to HubPages to achieve, was it to find a way to earn money from your writing only, or was it because you wanted an audience for your work, did you accidentally find HubPages while doing research then thought, hmm this is interesting, or did the community grab your attention?

I'll start:

I found HubPages in craigslist when looking through the classified for unusual jobs, actually it was under "other".. I saw that there were a lot of entries for "writers" or "Freelance writers needed" After clicking through to eHow and a few others, I landed on HubPages through an affiliate link. I'd never heard of adsense before and had no idea how people were making money with writing online... I was blogging on MySpace just for the fun of it.

When I read the HubPages introduction I thought what the hell, and signed up, then went in and tried to decode this marvel of modern web Science... I read the press releases and that was what really grabbed my attention. Noticing that you could make money with those quaint little textual ads we all see on all those websites I thought wow, that's how you do that, being curious about it for years, This gave me pause. I then went to sunseven's profile after entering into the search "adsense facts" and read some fascinating hubs on how this all worked.

MY original motivation was to make money, at the time I was unemployed and was having a hell of a time finding work in my area. I went to bed that night with a smile on my face and dollar signs (instead of sugarplums) dancing over my head.. over the next few weeks I wrote my first few hubs but had no clue what I was doing... Joining the forum I was quickly schooled on the use of capsules and such and wrote the words worst hub thinking It was ivy league writing material.. I wasn't not then... Although money and survival was my first motivation I came to enjoy the service, the creative release and the community.. today I want to help new Hubbers do what I didn't figure out till 10 months later... to give back and teach what I've learned.

So how about you guys... what's your "story"...

1. How did you find HubPages

2. What was your original motivation(s) to write here

3. Has your motivations changed/morphed/grown?

4. If you could set one goal for your “career” on HubPages what would it be?

5. If someone threw a HubPages Party and offered to pay all expenses to get you to and from the party from anywhere in the world, would you go? What would you like to or expect to see at such a party? Where should it be held?

6. And finally what are your favorite hubs to write/read?

Pick one or all of these and tell us about yourself, Inquiring Hubbers want to know!

_____________________________________________________________________x

2. Jerrico Usher profile image55
    Jerrico Usherposted 15 years ago

echo )))))

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I read about HubPages on a blog about how to make money writing online.   The writer was very vague about earnings potential, but gave the impression she was making a living at it.

I now know she wasn't being entirely honest.  She may be making a living writing, but not from the sites she listed - most of which pay very badly.  She'd obviously worked out she could make a lot more money from referrals than actually writing for those sites!

Luckily I wasn't completely green, having been a member at Helium for a while and discovered how appalling the pay was. So my expectations of HubPages weren't high, but I did like the fact that I would have total control over my Hubs, and could edit and delete them any time I liked (which I couldn't do at Helium).  So if HubPages turned out to be a fizzer, I could just delete my account and go elsewhere.

I can honestly say I have no desire to go elsewhere - HP may not make my fortune but as far as I can see, it pays better than any of the other revenue-sharing writing sites.  I'm about to collect my second $100 cheque.  What I value even more, though, is the amount I've learned - something I never anticipated.   Without HubPages, I would never have started my website (or if I had, it wouldn't have looked nearly so good or been as successful). I'm now starting to think of HubPages as my online portfolio, a place to promote my websites, a community, and a hobby rather than a money-making venture in itself.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think this is how many of us see it.  I knew I had a pack of previously published material that was not on the net, for which I owned the rights, and which could be shared here. It also got me writing  new material on a more regular basis. The control - especially the ability to add , subtract, enhance, etc. was very nice.

Some people may be trying to make a living wage here, and it probably can be done. The  monetary incentive was interesting, but I do not have the inclination to make myself do all all of the time-consuming, mind-consuming tricks for optimizing profits.  It is not my priority.

If I earn a little-- it's frosting. The cake is the fun, the learning, the sharing and the enjoyment.

Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great story, thank you! I wouldn't have landed where I am now had I not found this site.. I'm grateful for it.

4. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

The lack of response might b from it being challenging enough to find time to write our own much less this extracurricular work you keep offering to everyone.

Or it could be because you have 15 other threads in the hangout alone.  (I counted up to page 10 and gave up)

Your 2 week break?

Gotta go, Jerrico is about to post another great forum! 
    He's gonna teach us by giving us homework.  Yay!

Don't knock me for participating and trying to make hubpages fun, all I'm doing is tryign to be an active stimulis in the community.. just like you mr DJ, ... don't be a hypocrit bro... if you read through all my threads you will see people do respond and do have some interresting things to say... how can this be a bad thing? sounds like your getting jealous that I'm taking some of your steam? smile

It's ironic DJ that you put up all those threads asking people to show you how to earn money, how to figure out why your hubs weren't making any money yet got all that traffic yet when I gave you all the keys you needed you said it was too hard and that you were too lazy to pull it off.. now you come in here and mock me because I'm trying to help others? at least be consisten guy...

I know I may not have alot of fans in this forum but one thing you can't knock me for is not being consistent, and helpful, active in the community, and always trying to help the community grow their potential... its a waste of time to mock people for trying to do something when all your doing is begging everyone for some attention... you seem to do that alot in both your hubs and the forum, which is fine by me but please don't try to grab attention by insulting people its rude and shows a severe lack of charictor.

Jerrico

5. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

I also found my way here via craig's list and joined through another hubber. I joined to make money and thought I'd just recycle some old articles. Now I am writing new articles for hubpages, and have enjoyed the experience very much. I am not far from earning my first $100. I hope by New Years Day. Some days I think I'll make it, other days I am not so sure;o)

6. anne.moss profile image60
    anne.mossposted 15 years ago

To get the thread back on track...

I'm an established webmasters and I have been making my living off the web for about five years now (working for eight years, but the first three years I didn't make enough to call it "making a living").

I am a web publishing addict. I have about 200 domains, not all of them developed, but many are.

I am still not sure why I'm doing hub pages big_smile Maybe I enjoy the easy interface and just waiting to see how it goes. Hoping to promote my sites some that way and maybe even generate some cash in the process at some point.

7. DJ Funktual profile image75

That is one opinion.  Another might be, "Why oh why did we let Jerrico back in the forums?"
    He has taken over.  and yes, you are right I am so jealous! If I could alienate people at this ratio...

So I guess that 2 week break was just.....what?  another thread that died w/ less than 10 responses. The thing I LOVE about you is that even the smallest criticism sends you off and you right these long-winded, ass-chafing sermons, like the moral fiber is oozing out of you. 

Laughable. I'll await your next hilarious tirade.  No, wait, it'll four consecutive posts b/c you just can't seem to get my words out of your head.

Your like ANDY on the OFFICE.   Smart but clueless.

As far as my attention seeking.....duh!

Consistency is your perception and overload is mine/ours.  No big deal. 
    Do you have to start three threads a day to HELP us?

It's not that I don't applaud your efforts but you just NEVER shut up.

Do you realize you sound like a 4th grader with a head injury? YOU were the one who vouched for me (if you think that simply by your vote I was elected back in well we'll let you believe that)  so when you put me down you only stab yourself in the foot with your own hub... barney...

you sound like that teacher on charlie brown wha wha wha whaaaaaa

How about posting something useful instead of insulting... I know this would require a brain cell, but I got faith in you bro...

Every time you post EVER your screaming like your your own best fan.. calm down... your yelling at me for yelling, wait, are you actually mad because I'm actually using the forum? because I'm active in the community? I wanna be you for halloween.. I think I got a greasy hat and some played out records here somewhere...

oh and ... Trick or treat (oooohhhhh scary costume DJ) lol

can't we all just get along? Why must you always throw wolf tickets? relax.

8. aidenofthetower profile image67
    aidenofthetowerposted 15 years ago

I have now spent a year working for revenue sharing sites and other sites that pay for writing. I haven't made a living, but so far this year I have pulled in a few thousand dollars (I am thinking about 4500 off the top of my head). I heard about Hubpages from a friend on MyLot. I tried it out and am quite pleased.

Recently I figured out how much I make per article per month on each site I write for. Hubpages is second (and quite far down from the 1st earner HowToDoThings.com). However, I like Hubpages better then HowToDoThings.com because I have complete control over my articles and can change them and edit them at any time. I also don't have to deal with an editor who may disagree with my point of view.

I still write for a lot of other sites and am hoping to grow my passive income into a sum large enough to call a living, I know that it takes a lot of work and that most people don't make it.

9. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

I have no problems with the subject matter of this thread Jerrico in fact I applaud it, your questions about why we joined and how we found hubpages would normally attract many answers, I would have answered it too, If you hadn't asked the question as though you were our teacher.
    I am not here to rant and rave nor am I here to shoot you down in flames, I have better things to do to occupy my time.

I will offer this piece of advice though and it is up to you whether you want to take it or not.

When you post a message in the forums, any forums the first thing that you need to remember is that although you are typing your message into a machine, you are in fact sending a message to a group of real people, who have feelings, they have minds of their own they have likes and dislikes, people like you and me who go about our daily lives.
    People don't like being pushed, we dont like other people trying to tell us what to do all of the time, we don't like people talking down to us like they know everything and we are totaly ignorant.

Jerrico Knows all he will make you rich, he will get you a million visitors every week.
    listen to Jerrico he is better than you, but hey if you answer Jerrico back he takes a hissy fit and goes into a rant.

Jerrico in these forums you have been offered advice from other hubbers about your constant listen to me postings, and when we offer an opinion you fly off the handle.
    we will start listening to you as soon as you start listening to us.
    take care for now.....jimmy

Point taken.

10. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

Jerrico:

This is 10% moderator speaking, 90% friendly advice...

First of all, when I offered to reinstate you to the forums, you agreed not to insult or attack any of our members.  Disagreement is one thing, but you have several times now called other users names.  This is the quickest way to get your forum ban reinstated.

Whew, now that that's over with, for the friendly advice: when people see long forum posts, it is human nature to simply stop reading, or hit the back browser.  People come to the forums to interact, not necessarily to read (which is what they do when they browse actual hubs themselves).  Unless they are already invested in the topic (for example, already have been posting to a thread), big chunks of text in the forums turn people off.  Maybe they're missing out by eschewing wordy posts, but that's just the way it is.  So that might explain why you don't get responses to some of your longer posts.

Also, if nobody responds to your post, getting indignant and posting over and over again on your own thread doesn't help anything, and actually makes it less likely that you'll get responses.  It looks, from the outside, like you are demanding attention.  Nobody here owes you attention, and nobody wants to feel obligated to reply to any one thread or other.  We all just post on threads we find interesting.  If somebody doesn't find your particular post interesting, that isn't necessarily a personal affront to you.  But you can learn from what people do and do not respond to what the community is interested in, and post more of those types of topics, and likewise learn what the community is NOT interested in, and stop posting those types of topics.

So, that's just my 2 cents, as an outside observer (by which I mean, I've never participated in the drama between you and other users, and therefore don't have a lot of personal feelings tied up in it all).  But I do have to jump briefly back to moderator mode and remind you that if you continue to insult other users, you're going to once again lose your forum privileges, this time for good.  That's not a threat, it's just a fact I think you should be aware of and take into account in your future posts.

I understand. I think people take me wrong most of the time, then insult me based on their perceptions, then when I charge back I seem to be the only bad guy. That's fine though, I get it. Based on Jimmy's post and many others it seems I have come across as pushy or as if I know everything but truly that is not the message I'm trying to get across. But as a wise hubber once said- if everyone else is the problem maybe I'm the problem...

at any rate I'll chill back and refrain from long threads, or recouping from others insults, my intention was to help, not to demand, to teach, not to claim I have all the answers, my ploy was to share what I did learn, but it's blatently obvious I can't communicate with people here without coming off as arrogant or self serving, demanding or the like so I'll refrain and restore peace to the land of oz...

I'll stick to replying to others posts  with short bursts of insight and divert the bulk of my time back to working, I didn't mean to come across the way I obviousely did, the irony is offline I have no problems interacting with people but forum's just don't seem to work for me.. to maintain my forum rights I'll just back off, become scarce and just write hubs to teach to those who care to listen, I don't know everything, I don't have all the answers, but I am making money and thought others could benefit from the fruits of my experience.. again maybe I just don't know how to communicate that in a raw format like a forum, I appoligise for stiring things up...

Jerrico

11. DJ Funktual profile image75

Nice one bro.  Well said.  I was so afraid to check this forum b/c I thought you'd react badly but you're exactly right on. 

Here's an example I have that I feel is relevant to you Jerrico....and I wouldn't bother if I didn't think you were worth my two cents so here they are.

When I address the audience on YouTube in the videos....
    POINT ONE
    Now I would love to shake the sheeeet out of the youngsters and say, "this music you're listening to isn't real hip-hop..blah blah".  But they have already stopped hearing me b/c I started out by disrespecting them.  Even if they like something awful like KID ROCK.  You can't penetrate them b/c the blinders are on. 
    Now if I play a song that KID ROCK sampled, they will learn about what I consider to be real music that allowed them to have their KID ROCK song.  Hopefully they will (as they get older) realize that the originals are better, but I can't decide for them. At least thru me they have found an alternative.  Keep in mind, maybe the ONLY reason they even listen to an original is b/c of their association to KID ROCK.  Now, they come to like it so much they buy their first Curtis Mayfield album.   It's a long shot, but that's the angle I have to take. 

POINT TWO
    Now we have only talked about half the possible audience.
    What about the old folks that know their stuff, and they didn't learn a thing that was new.  Well, I'll tell you what, they are the ones who enjoy the performance I give the most and they always leave the best comments.  They can remember having the same enthusiasm for music, but it gets lost in the cracks of life.  We get busy and responsible. And we certainly don't turn cameras on and dance poorly in public.

AS HOMER J SIMPSON ONCE PUT IT
    "I used rock n roll all nite and party everyday.  Then it was every other day.
    Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

POINT ONE-respect the people you want to help!
    POINT TWO-they are like 20 guys on youtube who do samples, why should they watch mine?
    the amswer is passion. I'm not afraid to be goofy.  You know about my appetite for attention and ego.  By being silly I let them take their guard down because the frst joke is on me. 
    People don't turn on my videos and go "this guys cool!"  they say things like, "look at this fool here...losin his mind.  Kinda funky though......and he knows his stuff.....etc.

I slowly earn their trust.   I think that you are capable of the same thing.

You my friend have a ton of passion and wisdom to impart.  If you "let loose and tear it up" people will pay attention.   
    Happy Halloween!

I feel you on that DJ, although I have to disagree to that last part... "if you let loose and tear it up people will listen"

That's precisely what I did and it didn't play, it came out as arrogance and other things it wasn't supposed to be. My problem really isn't needing attention, or being humbled, it's not even really communication, it is controlling my passion when emotions become trip wires- simply put, I can be drastically cool, drastically useful, and a great how did hup put it "stimulator" or "shaker", but the problem is controlling my emotions.

to give you my idea of this dilemma I constantly seem to be battling...

It's like you have this long wavy hair and your sitting in the car brushing it... no problem, all is well... now put the top down, stand up and brush your hair... at first the annoyance is funny, you play along, but then the driver hits a bump and there goes your brush... now your misplaced anger is on the driver who cracked a joke and laughed at your frustration, only he didn’t laugh at your frustration he laughed at the irony, did you see the joke or did you see him making fun at your frustration? Maybe that's a bad example..

bottom line, I have alot to offer, a big heart that says I care what happens to this guy I've never met, I honestly want to see successful Hubbers, I have this dream of making a difference, but I don’t speak the language.

I may know something that he (the guy I don’t know) doesn't seem to "get" but in my communication I tend to lack the awareness that I'm coming across as if I know this and he's an idiot for not paying attention.. I don't in any way think this, but in my passion I tend to lose sight of how I'm coming across, then when someone throws a wrench in my ploy, it's George Jetson at the Spacely sprockets plant and all hell breaks loose..

I can control my emotions. I can control my passion. But I can't control them at the same time I guess. I don't know how many days I've revisited my own threads, my own posts and shook my head at myself thinking- what was I thinking? then again, as I read this not feeling the emotion that was obviously present in the post, I realize- I wasn't thinking- that was the problem.. it was that alter ego that surfaces when I get too excited about a cause.. that "I'll stop at nothing to make it happen" issue..

(Sometimes I think I’d benefit from a “Jerrico to forum” translator, someone I boast about my idea to, tell what I want to accomplish, break it down, then let THEM post for me, start threads, and generally make it happen intelligently…)

Maybe it was originally generated out of the desire to stop procrastinating and make something of my life, stop getting run over by stronger people only to give up thinking it's useless. Sure I've developed the skill to persevere... but at what cost?

It sort of feels like I learned to drive fast but I didn't take that class on driving safely at high speeds.. trying to drive fast using drive slow rule books... when I'm driving slow, no problem.. when I drive fast, intentions pure, ambitions big, but look out for that dam car that's out of control... everyone says... oh crap here comes Jerrico again and he's doing it again...and you know how a community standing on the lawn of their homes, kids playing outside feel about that maniac driving 60 down a residential neighborhood right?

I'm too passionate (driving too fast) to realize what they are saying, so I only grab the few words in their post that seem to be insulting... maybe I should park the car, and read the manual... or better yet... drive 25 in a school zone smile...the ones that don’t get upset at my antics shake their head at my speeding through a “redidential” zone and say… that guy just doesn’t get it… and well maybe he doesn’t… until he’s back to normal speeds and can see the problem.

heart on my sleeve.. that's the best I can explain it.. Life is about making mistakes, character is about learning from them, me, I'd like to just stop making them in public. Sorry for all the puns, metaphors are how I think lol… all those years as a business coach… not enough time in the break room playing with others…

Jerrico

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)